OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
romothesavior

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:35 am

Thanks pufer, I'll assess the situation and see which route is best. Appreciate it.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:40 am

Pufer has returned? Awesome :mrgreen:

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:29 am

What color socks and shoes with an olive green suit?

skers

Postby skers » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:36 am

blowhard wrote:What color socks and shoes with an olive green suit?

Socks the same color as your dress pants. Black shoes. I think brown would look off.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:55 pm

OCI has made me realize how few people know how to dress for an interview. I've seen so many black suits, casual loafers, crazy ties (including skinny ties), pinstripes, etc.

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:08 pm

I have mostly slim cut ties, not skinny, but still plan on picking some more up in the three inch width at the widest point range. I am skinny so wide ass ties look dumb.

I plan on getting a few new suits, but am having an awful time finding anything. I will get them tailored, but I have broad shoulders and chest/back, but a long skinny torso. I cant find anything that really us in the ballpark range in both dimensions.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:01 pm

romothesavior wrote:OCI has made me realize how few people know how to dress for an interview. I've seen so many black suits, casual loafers, crazy ties (including skinny ties), pinstripes, etc.

the worst was the french collar

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:34 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:

Socks the same color as your dress pants. Black shoes. I think brown would look off.

It depends on the color of the suit and the color of the shoes. I have an olive green suit (which isn't an interview color btw...) and brown is far superior.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:43 pm

James Bond wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:

It depends on the color of the suit and the color of the shoes. I have an olive green suit (which isn't an interview color btw...) and brown is far superior.

Brown for an interview?

For an interview TCR is charcoal gray.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:44 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
James Bond wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:

Brown for an interview?

For an interview TCR is charcoal gray.

I meant "brown shoes go better with an olive green suit"

And yes Charcoal Gray or Navy Blue are really the only two interview suits

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:46 pm

For an interview you can either match your socks to your shoes or suit, I have seen it go either way. I like to wear weird socks that don't go with anything in non interview settings though. Socks are basically your only way to throw some flavor into your work outfit. I have some bright colored ones, argyle, and whatnot. For an interview play it safe though, but socks can be fun in professional dressing.

As far as interview suits, grey or navy are the colors most would suggest.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:49 pm

+1 to JB on socks. In a business setting, socks are traditionally intended to give the appearance of an extenuation of your pants, so you should try to match your pants. It isn't like a huge faux pas if you don't, but it certainly looks better IMO.

skers

Postby skers » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:15 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:For an interview you can either match your socks to your shoes or suit, I have seen it go either way. I like to wear weird socks that don't go with anything in non interview settings though. Socks are basically your only way to throw some flavor into your work outfit. I have some bright colored ones, argyle, and whatnot. For an interview play it safe though, but socks can be fun in professional dressing.

As far as interview suits, grey or navy are the colors most would suggest.

The whole bright colored striped socks thing is something that GQ has been spouting for a while and it's the type of fashion advice that dudes follow and usually just end up looking shitty. Just following traditional fashion rules like socks same color as pants will look infinitely better.

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:18 pm

It looks shitty if you can't pull it off. I never said it was for everyone, and I was wearing colorful argyl socks way before the gq hype last year. You don't have to be a square 365 days a year. Interviews, yes, important business occasions, yes, but not everyday.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:18 pm

Also, brown/burgundy shoes IMO are not good for interviews.

I think black shoes are TCR.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:24 pm

nooyyllib wrote:Also, brown/burgundy shoes IMO are not good for interviews.

I only think it looks shitty because of the matching with Charcoal and Navy suits, however, not because they look shitty by themselves. Navy and Brown is a great look, but it's a more informal one. Charcoal and Brown would be hideous :lol:

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:26 pm

James Bond wrote:

I only think it looks shitty because of the matching with Charcoal and Navy suits, however, not because they look shitty by themselves. Navy and Brown is a great look, but it's a more informal one. Charcoal and Brown would be hideous :lol:

I completely agree with you. Navy suits with brown shoes are usually TCR but just for interviews, IMO despite whatever color suit you wear shoes should be black and not so noticeable. I mean after all, you are interviewing not going to a photo shoot. Lol

skers

Postby skers » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:27 pm

James Bond wrote:

Charcoal and oxblood is deadly though.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:09 pm

Best 5 brands of dress shoes. Looking for good all around value (reasonable price but good shoes).

Go.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:32 pm

romothesavior wrote:Best 5 brands of dress shoes.

Ferragamo
Ferragamo
Ferragamo
Ferragamo
Ferragamo

romothesavior wrote:Looking for good all around value (reasonable price but good shoes).

Um...

Bostonian
Some others?

skers

Postby skers » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:00 am

romothesavior wrote:Best 5 brands of dress shoes. Looking for good all around value (reasonable price but good shoes).

Go.

I'd skip buying so-so shoes that need to be replaced in a couple years and just get Aldens or Allen Edmonds.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:01 am

TemporarySaint wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Best 5 brands of dress shoes. Looking for good all around value (reasonable price but good shoes).

Go.

I'd skip buying so-so shoes that need to be replaced in a couple years and just get Aldens or Allen Edmonds.

+1

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:59 am

StillHerexxx wrote:It looks shitty if you can't pull it off. I never said it was for everyone, and I was wearing colorful argyl socks way before the gq hype last year. You don't have to be a square 365 days a year. Interviews, yes, important business occasions, yes, but not everyday.

I've been wearing funky socks for 2 or 3 years now. All of my dress socks come from happysocks.com . I have at least 20 pairs. I just got 6 pairs in a few days ago and ordered another 5 yesterday. They call me "socks" at the office. :lol:

It only works if your suit is very conservative imo. If you start wearing all kinds of bright colored shirts and ties, you just look like a clown. I think the "wildest" I ever get is a light charcoal suit with a pale green shirt and a conservative gray tie. That's relaxed Friday-wear for me. Other than that, I'm generally wearing what you'd expect see a politician wearing (at the office). Generally a solid navy or charcoal suit, maybe subtle pinstripes, white or light blue shirt, red or blue tie, conservative shoes, very "square" glasses and my hair is a part on the side. I've been told numerous times I look like Clark Kent :lol:.

Yeah, I don't think the wild socks things works if you're not dressed extremely conservative though.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:28 am

I need TLSer advice. I just have to go interview with a school for a full scholly offer. It is a whole weekend that goes: Lunch w/ Dean and faculty, tours, etc. on Day 1 and interviews and dinner with alum on Day 2. Should I wear a suit on both days or business casual day 1 and suit day 2?

Also, any suggestions on a new suit or two?

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:42 am

SupraVln180 wrote:I need TLSer advice. I just have to go interview with a school for a full scholly offer. It is a whole weekend that goes: Lunch w/ Dean and faculty, tours, etc. on Day 1 and interviews and dinner with alum on Day 2. Should I wear a suit on both days or business casual day 1 and suit day 2?

Also, any suggestions on a new suit or two?

Suit both days. It's with the dean, man

Return to “Legal Employment”