OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
spondee

Bronze

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Post by spondee » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:34 pm

seespotrun wrote:
zettsscores40 wrote:How do you guys feel about tie bars on a regular basis?
The same way I feel about pencil protectors.
Disagree. Tie bars are practical and kinda sexy.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:04 am

I'd rather see/wear one then have a tie flapping all over the place.

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:46 am

I could only bring myself to wear one with dark suit, white shirt, and solid colored tie.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:30 pm

What do you guys think about bolo ties?

I have a really nice sterling silver/black leather one, which I wear all the time.... but I'm not sure if it would work for an interview.

It kinda looks like this:
--ImageRemoved--

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:31 pm

Zzzzz....suits all look the same.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:44 pm

They're legit if worn appropriately. You generally want a simple design and plain stainless steel, no gold or ornate designs. You also want to wear them at the correct height, which is slightly above where the suit lapels meet. For me that is just above the fourth shirt-button down if I'm wearing a 2-button jacket. They just look goofy if worn more than halfway down the length of the tie.

I like em because they keep your tie knot in place and your tie won't flap around. It's better than a tie pin IMO because those punch a hole in the tie's fabric.

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:48 pm

daesonesb wrote:What do you guys think about bolo ties?

I have a really nice sterling silver/black leather one, which I wear all the time.... but I'm not sure if it would work for an interview.

[imghttp://www.jimsformalwear.com/images/product/5 ... estern.jpg[/img]

Mmm generally not appropriate for interviews or office wear as a young associate. Definitely not for an interview. Maybe you could pull it off along with a western cut suit and boots if you live in certain states, once you're in practice. E.g. Texas, some southwestern states, some parts of the Mountain West. Not a chance of pulling that off if you live on the east or west coast, or the eastern states of the midwest.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:01 am

[img]/img]
I have seen people pull off the Bolo tie well in Court, but they were all Navajo. Leave it at home.
Last edited by Bosque on Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:05 am

betasteve wrote:
leobowski wrote:

[imghttp://www.jimsformalwear.com/images/product/5 ... estern.jpg[/img]

Mmm generally not appropriate for interviews or office wear as a young associate. Definitely not for an interview. Maybe you could pull it off along with a western cut suit and boots if you live in certain states, once you're in practice. [i]E.g.[/i] Texas, some southwestern states, some parts of the Mountain West. Not a chance of pulling that off if you live on the east or west coast, or the eastern states of the midwest.
Interned in a TX court... saw a ton of attorneys. Not one of them had a bolo tie on. Likely they'd get laughed out of court for wearing one.
This. My experience is from New Mexico, and I saw the exact same thing. As I said before, unless you are Native American, leave it at home.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:36 pm

Saks had a pretty good sale today. 30% off any single item with a member (not credit) card. Just sign up for one.

I got a Jack Victor solid navy suit for $400. Fit nicely (no alterations needed at all) and it got good reviews (example: http://www.theguidetomenssuits.com/jack ... suits.html ). Good deal, but nothing ground breaking. There were quite a few phenomenal deals, but it wasn't stuff I could wear in the court house. For you big-law office grunts that dont have to be as conservative, there were some great suits for great prices.

I stopped in to buy two suits and only bought one because I couldn't get 30% off the second one. I might go back tomorrow :oops:

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:01 pm

Networking event tonight at a law firm through the bar association. No idea what dress is, so I'm thinking I should go with biz casual (long sleeve shirt and slacks). Thoughts? Should I throw on a blazer as well?

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:14 pm

romothesavior wrote:Networking event tonight at a law firm through the bar association. No idea what dress is, so I'm thinking I should go with biz casual (long sleeve shirt and slacks). Thoughts? Should I throw on a blazer as well?
Yes bring the blazer. You can always take it off if you are too formal, if others are wearing a jacket and you are not you might be feel self conscious about it.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:19 pm

Can I comment, last night at a recruiting event, everyone there is basically wearing suits, and then two girls walk in wearing really short spandex shorts and tank tops. lol.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:21 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Can I comment, last night at a recruiting event, everyone there is basically wearing suits, and then two girls walk in wearing really short spandex shorts and tank tops. lol.
And you made a beeline for them and scored some digits, right?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:23 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Can I comment, last night at a recruiting event, everyone there is basically wearing suits, and then two girls walk in wearing really short spandex shorts and tank tops. lol.
lol no, I was too busy trying to mack on this recruiter from Deloitte, she was fine. But I am pretty sure I saw a female flirt, touch, and give her number to a recruiter from accenture. She was working it.

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:34 pm

This is playing it smart. They are probably already hired if male partners were there.

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:35 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
lol no, I was too busy trying to mack on this recruiter from Deloitte, she was fine. But I am pretty sure I saw a female flirt, touch, and give her number to a recruiter from accenture. She was working it.
Also, you're never too busy for hotties in tank tops and spandex.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zettsscores40

Gold

Post by zettsscores40 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:07 pm

Entertainment?

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:06 pm

Is it better to get a new suit tailored at the store you buy it at, or should you take it to a private tailor? Cost difference? I paid around $45-50 to get pants shortened, about an inch off the sleeves and a small adjustment in the shoulders. Just wondering for future suit purchases if I should go elsewhere or if this is a reasonable amount.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:02 am

king3780 wrote:Is it better to get a new suit tailored at the store you buy it at, or should you take it to a private tailor? Cost difference? I paid around $45-50 to get pants shortened, about an inch off the sleeves and a small adjustment in the shoulders. Just wondering for future suit purchases if I should go elsewhere or if this is a reasonable amount.
You got ripped off. You could get the same alteration done at a good private tailor for $20, and the usually do a better job. This is of course assuming you bought the suit at one of the big off the rack places (Mens Warehouse, Joseph A Bank, Macys, ect.), and not FROM a tailor. If the alteration was done by the same person who made the suit, it was probably a good deal.

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:06 am

Bosque wrote:
king3780 wrote:Is it better to get a new suit tailored at the store you buy it at, or should you take it to a private tailor? Cost difference? I paid around $45-50 to get pants shortened, about an inch off the sleeves and a small adjustment in the shoulders. Just wondering for future suit purchases if I should go elsewhere or if this is a reasonable amount.
You got ripped off. You could get the same alteration done at a good private tailor for $20, and the usually do a better job. This is of course assuming you bought the suit at one of the big off the rack places (Mens Warehouse, Joseph A Bank, Macys, ect.), and not FROM a tailor. If the alteration was done by the same person who made the suit, it was probably a good deal.
Jos A Bank. Oh well, lesson learned. I was in a hurry and don't know any good tailors in this town. Next time I'll have to find someone else.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:20 am

Bosque wrote:
You're not going to find that list of services for $20 anywhere but SoCal and a handful of other places, regardless of the quality. Alterations prices vary wildly upon the region. In LA or Albuquerque, king paid too much. In Denver or D.C., $50 for those three things would be pretty close to the going rate.

As a general rule, though, the stores will overcharge you on everything relative to the community if you use their store tailor, so you'll probably never get a real bargain from a store tailor. Add in the questionable consistency of such tailors, and you should probably just avoid them as a rule.

-Pufer

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:03 am

Pufer sighting.

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:58 am

seespotrun wrote:Pufer sighting.
They are always so fleeting yet leave such a lasting impression

longdaysjourney

Bronze

Post by longdaysjourney » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:51 pm

This is probably the simplest advice:

1.) 100% wool only.
2.) If you walk in to a store and they people are impeccably groomed and are wearing their suits marvelously, buy from there. If you walk in to a store and the people look like greasy middle-schoolers wearing a hand-me-down, get out fast.
3.) If you aren't going for a bespoke, a safe bet would be to walk into either a brooks brothers or a nordstrom and tell them you want a blue and a gray "interview suit." "Interview suit" basically means conservative/traditional. Saying you want an interview suit will make it known that you want to look more like this:

and less like this

Be careful and particular...the first suit I bought I ended up looking like this: --ImageRemoved--

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”