OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Pufer

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby Pufer » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:37 pm

Not counting the 300-400 cheap ties I bought in bulk off from thrift stores and eBay to turn into a Halloween costume ("all tied up: a walking pun").

-Pufer

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:38 pm

wow. I have like 50. lol

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:39 pm

GodSpeed wrote:wow. I have like 50. lol

Anything more than that just seems unnecessary.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:40 pm

WTF is the point of having hundreds of ties? That's fucking retarded.

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:42 pm

romothesavior wrote:WTF is the point of having hundreds of ties? That's fucking retarded.

C'mon. Anyone who wears the same tie twice within 2 1/2 years is just TTT.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:43 pm

I stopped buying thrift stores ties when I realized that a used tie + dry cleaning costs= more than a tie @ TJ Maxx.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:47 pm

seespotrun wrote:
romothesavior wrote:WTF is the point of having hundreds of ties? That's fucking retarded.

I think most partners send people home if they wear the same tie in the same year. Or they humiliate them in public and ask restaurant waitstaff if they meet dress requirements. After all, few respectable restaurants would allow patrons to wear ties from the Brooks Brothers Fall 2009 catalogue in July of 2010.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:49 pm

Damn I own three ties.

At this rate I'm going to have to buy about $30,000 worth of clothing before OCI.

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:02 am

romothesavior wrote:
seespotrun wrote:

I think most partners send people home if they wear the same tie in the same year. Or they humiliate them in public and ask restaurant waitstaff if they meet dress requirements. After all, few respectable restaurants would allow patrons to wear ties from the Brooks Brothers Fall 2009 catalogue in July of 2010.

Brooks Brothers...ew.

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:03 am

TCScrutinizer wrote:Damn I own three ties.

At this rate I'm going to have to buy about $30,000 worth of clothing before OCI.

That will buy you half of a suit.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:08 am

TCScrutinizer wrote:Damn I own three ties.

You need exactly one tie for OCI. Two if you get callbacks. Three so that you can wear a different one on your first day of work before you buy some more with your advance/bonus.

So you are good. Provided they are good ties of course.

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:19 am

Mostly I just collect them (tie hand woven by a Navajo guy, bunch of hand-painted ties from the 40s, tie with power symbols on it, etc.). My actual rotation is more like 120 ties; 200-250 including various situational ties.

Probably has something to do with spending a couple years of my childhood on the move, always on the verge of homelessness, having virtually nothing but whatever clothing I had on my back. When you spend a couple winters wearing a single, inadequate jacket that outgrew you a couple years back (that you found on the side of the road to begin with), as soon as you get some cash, you buy like thirty jackets so you never have to go through that shit again (you also put in some effort learning how to dress, so that you're never mistaken for "that homeless kid" again).

Yeah, maybe it is "fucking retarded," but I still just feel better if I have more than enough clothing (and blankets, and food in my pantry).

-Pufer

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:22 am

Pufer wrote:

Mostly I just collect them (tie hand woven by a Navajo guy, bunch of hand-painted ties from the 40s, tie with power symbols on it, etc.). My actual rotation is more like 120 ties; 200-250 including various situational ties.

Probably has something to do with spending a couple years of my childhood on the move, always on the verge of homelessness, having virtually nothing but whatever clothing I had on my back. When you spend a couple winters wearing a single, inadequate jacket that outgrew you a couple years back (that you found on the side of the road to begin with), as soon as you get some cash, you buy like thirty jackets so you never have to go through that shit again (you also put in some effort learning how to dress, so that you're never mistaken for "that homeless kid" again).

Yeah, maybe it is "fucking retarded," but I still just feel better if I have more than enough clothing (and blankets, and food in my pantry).

-Pufer

Sometimes I wonder whether or not you're an elaborate flame.

-seespotrun

Waterman47

Postby Waterman47 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:21 am

Regardless of the reasoning, having 800 ties seems like an absolute nightmare.

Right now I'm wearing a tie daily and I don't see a need to have more than 10 or 15, if that. 50 seems excessive, 800 just seems... I don't even know the word.

+1

A decent enough reason to not wear the button-down to the office is that I would give you incessant shit about it as a fellow associate. Any time we go to the courthouse, asking you whether you'd like to get dressed first; asking waitstaff in restaurants whether you meet the dress code at lunch; bringing new paralegals into your office to show them what not to wear; and so on. I'd be doing it just to give you a hard time, but why would you want to give me that opportunity?

I don't know what's worse, this sort of attitude or the guy that was saying he'd wear loafers to an interview. It's admirable to be knowledgable about fashion, or anything else, but when you take it to this extreme you just seem like a douche. It's a freakin' button-down collar. Get over it.

wolfpack-avvocato

Postby wolfpack-avvocato » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:18 am

seespotrun wrote:
Pufer wrote:

-Pufer

-seespotrun

Oh man you're going to catch soooooo much shit on these boards for being a dick to Pufer. How he's not a Legendary Poster yet, I have no idea.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:47 am

seespotrun wrote:

-seespotrun

Shut up and suck it.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:09 am

Waterman47 wrote:
A decent enough reason to not wear the button-down to the office is that I would give you incessant shit about it as a fellow associate. Any time we go to the courthouse, asking you whether you'd like to get dressed first; asking waitstaff in restaurants whether you meet the dress code at lunch; bringing new paralegals into your office to show them what not to wear; and so on. I'd be doing it just to give you a hard time, but why would you want to give me that opportunity?

I don't know what's worse, this sort of attitude or the guy that was saying he'd wear loafers to an interview. It's admirable to be knowledgable about fashion, or anything else, but when you take it to this extreme you just seem like a douche. It's a freakin' button-down collar. Get over it.

Amen. That diatribe about giving people crap for wearing button-downs was one of the most absurd things I've read in a while. Absolutely douche-tastic in every way.

-romothesavior

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:11 am

Waterman47 wrote:I don't know what's worse, this sort of attitude or the guy that was saying he'd wear loafers to an interview. It's admirable to be knowledgable about fashion, or anything else, but when you take it to this extreme you just seem like a douche. It's a freakin' button-down collar. Get over it.

FWIW, I didn't actually suggest wearing loafers to an interview, I said tasseled and kiltied loafers are acceptable with suits as office attire, and are in fact commonly identified with lawyers. I mentioned that I see older partners wearing them with regularity. The only thing I said about loafers re: interviews is that I'd be amazed it they lost you a position. Not that I want to have that argument again. Ever. Most people here clearly disagree, strongly. But if I'm to be hanged, let it be for what I actually said.

Also FWIW, button downs are perennial points of debate. Avoid them if you're worried about it, I guess.

While I might not agree with all of Pufer's views, the man is clearly knowledgeable. I absolutely agree when it comes to having more than you need. Also, lots of ties (or shirts of whatever does it for you in terms of the personal touch you prefer) is a noble vice. And ties go through fashion cycles, too, so you can throw 'em in a box and dig em out again much easier than you can with a suit collection. I'm not sure if anyone has 800 ties out on a rack (although that would be kinda cool. You'd need an organization system out of High Fidelity....)
Last edited by Duralex on Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:16 am

Duralex wrote:
Waterman47 wrote:I don't know what's worse, this sort of attitude or the guy that was saying he'd wear loafers to an interview. It's admirable to be knowledgable about fashion, or anything else, but when you take it to this extreme you just seem like a douche. It's a freakin' button-down collar. Get over it.

FWIW, I didn't actually suggest wearing loafers to an interview, I said tasseled and kiltied loafers are acceptable with suits as office attire, and are in fact commonly identified with lawyers. I mentioned that I see older partners wearing them with regularity. The only thing I said about loafers re: interviews is that I'd be amazed it they lost you a position. Not that I want to have that argument again. Ever. Most people here clearly disagree, strongly. But if I'm to be hanged, let it be for what I actually said.

Also FWIW, button downs are perennial points of debate. Avoid them if you're worried about it, I guess.

While I might not agree with all of Pufer's views, the man is clearly knowledgeable. I absolutely agree when it comes to having more than you need. Also, lots of ties (or shirts of whatever does it for you in terms of the personal touch you prefer) is a noble vice.

Awesome. I feel so much better about my nipple ring collection now.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:18 am

But which nipple ring is interview appropriate? This is truly a subtle art.

Waterman47

Postby Waterman47 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:23 am

If for no other reason, I would never wear a shoe that is called "tasseled and kiltied."

And I'm the complete opposite in terms of clothes hording; having too much makes me feel weighed down. Every 6 months or so I go through my closet and give anything I haven't worn in the previous half-year to Goodwill (other than seasonal stuff or situational clothing like a tux). I've never went back to my closet and felt that I was missing something I needed.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:29 am

Duralex wrote:But which nipple ring is interview appropriate? This is truly a subtle art.

For showing the V10 you mesh with their values:
http://www.bodycandy.com/cgi-bin/item/24866

A nice pearl drop for the conservative firm:
http://www.bodycandy.com/cgi-bin/item/23541

For those few interested in Maritime Law:
http://www.bodycandy.com/cgi-bin/item/24874

The possibilities are endless. These are from a cheap website, of course. I'm sure if you check at Cartier or Tiffany they'll have something to really impress the more discerning hiring partners.

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:47 am

wolfpack-avvocato wrote:
seespotrun wrote:
Pufer wrote:

-Pufer

-seespotrun

Oh man you're going to catch soooooo much shit on these boards for being a dick to Pufer. How he's not a Legendary Poster yet, I have no idea.

I don't think that my post rose to the level of "being a dick," but opinions may vary in that regard. I appreciate that Pufer only posts helpful information, but I have honestly wondered whether or not he was some more regular poster's alt. more than once.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:49 am

Waterman47 wrote:If for no other reason, I would never wear a shoe that is called "tasseled and kiltied."

And I'm the complete opposite in terms of clothes hording; having too much makes me feel weighed down. Every 6 months or so I go through my closet and give anything I haven't worn in the previous half-year to Goodwill (other than seasonal stuff or situational clothing like a tux). I've never went back to my closet and felt that I was missing something I needed.

I'm with you on that. I own like 25 polos and I only wear about 12, so I think I'm going to drop off a bunch at the Goodwill before I move to STL. I can't remember the exact statistic, but I read some random article or survey (on Yahoo or something) that said people wear a pretty low percentage of their wardrobe each month, like under 50%.

A dozen shits and a dozen ties is plenty (maybe even overkill), and you can pair them all in different combinations to make it look like you have a pretty diverse wardrobe.

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:57 am

romothesavior wrote:
Waterman47 wrote:If for no other reason, I would never wear a shoe that is called "tasseled and kiltied."

I'm with you on that. I own like 25 polos and I only wear about 12, so I think I'm going to drop off a bunch at the Goodwill before I move to STL. I can't remember the exact statistic, but I read some random article or survey (on Yahoo or something) that said people wear a pretty low percentage of their wardrobe each month, like under 50%.

A dozen shits and a dozen ties is plenty (maybe even overkill), and you can pair them all in different combinations to make it look like you have a pretty diverse wardrobe.

i prob have 12 shirts I wear rgularly and 25 tires. I wish I had 3 or 4 more shirts. I have 6 suits I wear regularly, wish I had 2 or 3 more.

Return to “Legal Employment”