OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:38 pm

What's the conventional wisdom on spread collars. I have a few plain white shirts with spread collars. Probably a no go for interviews??? I'm a smaller guy, typically 36S jacket and 15" collar with a really slim fit. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:30 pm

I have square shoulders and a little bit of a barrel chest. After trying on hundreds of suits at various department and suit stores (where I was told by the salesmen that they didnt have a suit that fit me), I decided to purchase two custom suits by an American brand called H. Freeman (based out of Philadelphia, not associated with Hickey Freeman). They are fully-canvassed, 120s suits. One is navy, one os Charcoal.

Does anybody know anything more about this brand?

Also, I have been planning on using traditional Brooks Brothers striped ties (see: http://blog.brooksbrothers.com/wp-conte ... l-ties.jpg), but am beginning to think this is too conservative. Any suggestions?

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Also, I have been planning on using traditional Brooks Brothers striped ties (see: http://blog.brooksbrothers.com/wp-conte ... l-ties.jpg), but am beginning to think this is too conservative. Any suggestions?
hahaha, good one

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:05 pm

Bedsole wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
hahaha, good one
Ha. I meant too conservative bc I see some people are going with dots, etc.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Bedsole wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
hahaha, good one
Ha. I meant too conservative bc I see some people are going with dots, etc.
Dots, stripes , and solids can all work just fine. Dots, stripes, and solids can also be abominations, or at least not OCI worthy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Perseus_I

Bronze

Post by Perseus_I » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have square shoulders and a little bit of a barrel chest. After trying on hundreds of suits at various department and suit stores (where I was told by the salesmen that they didnt have a suit that fit me), I decided to purchase two custom suits by an American brand called H. Freeman (based out of Philadelphia, not associated with Hickey Freeman). They are fully-canvassed, 120s suits. One is navy, one os Charcoal.

Does anybody know anything more about this brand?

I actually bought this exact tie. Conservative or not, I picked it out before I found out it was the classic Brooks Brother tie because I liked it. Does this mean I am a good fit for Big Lawl?

Also, got a solid navy and a solid charcoal suit from those exact manufacturers.

What about pant fitting? Is the "European style"--or tighter fit-- considered too un-conservative for Big Lawl?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:16 am

Perseus_I wrote:What about pant fitting? Is the "European style"--or tighter fit-- considered too un-conservative for Big Lawl?
It's impossible to say without seeing the fit. Ideally, an OCI suit is a well-fitted classic American suit, in every way. Notched, medium-width lapels. Generous but tailored fit. Cuffed pant. You should not be wearing a chest and ass-hugging suit. As usual, this comes with the caveat that your attire matters less than every other thing.

Perseus_I

Bronze

Post by Perseus_I » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:17 pm

Bronte wrote:
Perseus_I wrote:What about pant fitting? Is the "European style"--or tighter fit-- considered too un-conservative for Big Lawl?
It's impossible to say without seeing the fit. Ideally, an OCI suit is a well-fitted classic American suit, in every way. Notched, medium-width lapels. Generous but tailored fit. Cuffed pant. You should not be wearing a chest and ass-hugging suit. As usual, this comes with the caveat that your attire matters less than every other thing.
The "continental style" here. http://www.askmen.com/fashion/fashionti ... dvice.html

--ImageRemoved-- (LinkRemoved)

Uploaded with ImageShack.usl]

Since I have a pretty trim build and long legs, the classic American fit looks super sloppy on me. Is there like an in-between tailored style I could find? How would one explain this to a tailor?

What I ordered was the "regents" fit from Brooks Brothers. It comes looser than in the picture. What is the best way to tailor this? Not much?
Last edited by Perseus_I on Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:47 pm

-Charcoal or Navy Brooks Brothers 1818 Fitzgerald Suit (during summer or winter semi annual sale)
-2 White Brooks Brothers Slim Fit Shirts- point collar if you are fat/built with a squat face, "ainsley collar" if you are lean with a narrow face (during summer or winter semi annual sale)
-Black Park Avenue Allen Edmonds (NAO during Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale)
-Navy & Burgundy pindot ties from TieBar.com
-Navy/charcoal socks and basic black leather belt matching grain/hue from Macys, TJMax, wherever
-Black real leather padfolio from OfficeMax or any other office store

-->take shirt and suit to a reputable tailor. Have them bring in the sides of the shirt if you are lean. Polish shoes before interview. Learn how to tie a perfect half windsor. Profit.

/thread

brb in the 98th percentile of style at OCI thanks to TLS
brb would have looked like a slob without Pufer and all the TLS style gods.

srs. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Really really helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:49 pm

most inexplicably anonymous post ever?

WODKilla123

New

Post by WODKilla123 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:00 pm

My bad that was me. Hit the wrong button. Mods feel free to non anonymize. And thanks again to everyone who contributed to credited fashion advice ITT. Before I wouldn't have ever even thought to lolz at people where a button collar in a suit and tie.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:44 pm

Perseus_I wrote:
Bronte wrote:
The "continental style" here. http://www.askmen.com/fashion/fashionti ... dvice.html

--ImageRemoved-- (LinkRemoved)

Uploaded with ImageShack.usl]

Since I have a pretty trim build and long legs, the classic American fit looks super sloppy on me. Is there like an in-between tailored style I could find? How would one explain this to a tailor?

What I ordered was the "regents" fit from Brooks Brothers. It comes looser than in the picture. What is the best way to tailor this? Not much?
The collected wisdom in this thread basically gets people who know nothing about fashion to a place that is safe for OCI, but that doesn't mean it is the only way to go, or departing from the rules espoused here will at any way hurt you if you know what you are doing. The point is to look professional and well put together. There is no way a slightly more tailored cut in your suit will hurt you in the slightest, and in many cases it might help.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:25 pm

How narrow is too narrow for a tie? I'm not talking hipster skinny, but I prefer narrower ties. I'm short (5'7") and have a real skinny build so I feel like traditional 3.5" ties look almost like clown ties on me. Is 2.5" tie to narrow for an interview?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How narrow is too narrow for a tie? I'm not talking hipster skinny, but I prefer narrower ties. I'm short (5'7") and have a real skinny build so I feel like traditional 3.5" ties look almost like clown ties on me. Is 2.5" tie to narrow for an interview?
Your tie width should (roughly) match the width of the lapels on your jacket. I think most of my ties are 2.75-3". To me, 2.5 is about where ties start turning into "skinny ties," but if it works with your jacket and your build you'll be fine.

Viktor Vaughn

New

Post by Viktor Vaughn » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:34 pm

Just got my new Brooks Bros. suit in the mail. This is probably a noob question, but:

What are the white strings on the shoulders and sleeves of the suit? Am I supposed to just cut these and pull them out? Thanks guys.

luckyme

Bronze

Post by luckyme » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:59 pm

Viktor Vaughn wrote:Just got my new Brooks Bros. suit in the mail. This is probably a noob question, but:

What are the white strings on the shoulders and sleeves of the suit? Am I supposed to just cut these and pull them out? Thanks guys.
yes

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How narrow is too narrow for a tie? I'm not talking hipster skinny, but I prefer narrower ties. I'm short (5'7") and have a real skinny build so I feel like traditional 3.5" ties look almost like clown ties on me. Is 2.5" tie to narrow for an interview?
I'd say that, unless you are literally a dwarf, 2.5" is too thin for conservative contexts [while the match the lapels response is frequently mentioned, you shouldn't be wearing a jacket with lapels that narrow in conservative contexts, either; this isn't 1962]. Thetiebar has plenty of 3" thick ties, which are the limit of what I'd try for OCI.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:25 pm

was complimented on my suit during an interview

thanks a bunch to this thread

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:02 pm

Bronte wrote:
I disagree about cuffed pants but agree with the rest generally.

Oh and I'd go for a mid break.

WODKilla123

New

Post by WODKilla123 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:24 pm

tcr cuffs = for fats

Lean, tailored fit suit with plain front pants ftw!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:28 pm

Hi:

Random observation.

If you are on here asking: "Is XYZ suit okay for a big law interview," or "is X collar okay," or "what about euro fit," you don't understand what you are doing and you need to stop right now before you blow your money to look like an ass clown.

The purpose of suiting, and menswear generally, is to mask the wearer's flaws and play up his strengths. A suit should hide your large thighs, broaden your narrow shoulders, draw attention away from your enormous head, etc. The color of your tie isn't as important as the contrast between it and your shirt mirroring the contract between your skin tone and your hair color. The pattern on your tie isn't as important as the coordination between it and the patterns in the rest of your outfit. The width of the tie isn't as important as it mirroring the width of your lapels.

I don't have the time or the inclination to write a giant treatise on suiting. But I advise anyone here who doesn't understand the basics of fit, tailoring, silhouette, pattern mixing, and color coordination to get to the your local library and begin reading up on menswear.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:51 pm

Viktor Vaughn wrote:Just got my new Brooks Bros. suit in the mail. This is probably a noob question, but:

Go to a tailor

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I don't have the time or the inclination to write a giant treatise on suiting. But I advise anyone here who doesn't understand the basics of fit, tailoring, silhouette, pattern mixing, and color coordination to get to the your local library and begin reading up on menswear.
lolno

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:02 pm

What's the consensus on tie clips? I've never worn one, but they look pretty kickass, IMO.

Guessing it's not a good idea for an interview, though. Confirm/deny?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:05 pm

WODKilla123 wrote:tcr cuffs = for fats

Lean, tailored fit suit with plain front pants ftw!
are you confusing cuffs with pleats?

i personally think cuffs are good for tall skinny types - makes you look less stringbean

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”