OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
stayway

Silver

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Post by stayway » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:50 pm

GodSpeed wrote:I'm going to end up spending 4x what I originally planned. I see this coming from a mile away. Avoiding park ave... avoiding park ave...
Seems like you can afford it lol; I'd recommend you going straight to Ferragamo retail store or Bally

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:52 pm

edited

people also said the "classic" shoe is an allen edmonds park place (not sure) shoe. i saw it and it looked terrible. cap toe and all. is that really a shoe that young professionals wear at a white shoe firm?
Last edited by bartleby on Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:56 pm

Yeah, there's no way I can see you finding a decent leather sole for 135. Sounds like you can get away with a lot at your firm though. You could probably get away with the boots, but I'm not positive. If you're willing to spend more you could get a pair of single buckle monkstraps or Alden longwings. Maybe switch up your shades and get something in Whiskey or oxblood. Or just get a pair of shell cordovan baller shoes.

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:31 pm

bartleby wrote:edited

people also said the "classic" shoe is an allen edmonds park place (not sure) shoe. i saw it and it looked terrible. cap toe and all. is that really a shoe that young professionals wear at a white shoe firm?
Allen Edmonds Park Avenue

It's the standard by which conservative workplace shoes are judged.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:10 pm

ugh, am i really going to have to become someone who gives a shit about dress shoes if i want to work at a big firm?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:13 pm

traehekat wrote:ugh, am i really going to have to become someone who gives a shit about dress shoes if i want to work at a big firm?
no. most people at big firms don't dress particularly well or give a shit.

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:15 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:Yeah, there's no way I can see you finding a decent leather sole for 135. Sounds like you can get away with a lot at your firm though. You could probably get away with the boots, but I'm not positive. If you're willing to spend more you could get a pair of single buckle monkstraps or Alden longwings. Maybe switch up your shades and get something in Whiskey or oxblood. Or just get a pair of shell cordovan baller shoes.
http://www.gilt.com/sale/men/dress-shoe ... t/37465534

Monkstraps? With a suit?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:29 pm

GodSpeed wrote:
traehekat wrote:ugh, am i really going to have to become someone who gives a shit about dress shoes if i want to work at a big firm?
*phew*

back to wallowing in my own filth.

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:50 pm

traehekat wrote:
GodSpeed wrote:
*phew*

back to wallowing in my own filth.
if you are going to be someone who cares at all about his cloths, you need to start with your shoes. you can drop a grand on a suit and it won't help you if you're wearing bad shoes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:13 am

Decent article about suits in the WSJ today.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 84478.html

Sadly, I bought one of the lower ranked suits a couple of weeks back. But on the bright side, I got it for about half of the quoted price.

And no, it was not the Target suit! :shock:

The Stig

Silver

Post by The Stig » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:36 pm

(suit tag)

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:55 pm

The Stig wrote:Image

(suit tag)
nice

KingRajesh

Bronze

Post by KingRajesh » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:09 pm

What about Jos. A Bank?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:19 pm

KingRajesh wrote:What about Jos. A Bank?

Horrible quality lately. Everything I've bought from them in the last two years has just fallen apart.

Cactus

Bronze

Post by Cactus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:22 pm

Better than most Men's Wearhouse offerings - which doesn't say much, but not good by any means. Never pay sticker, but if you can get a really good deal, purchasing a suit from there is justifiable. It's definitely entry level, and there are much better suits out there (and deals if you look for them), but they make decent enough suits to get you by for a while. You're better off looking into Brooks Brothers deals (not 346 outlet offerings though), J. Press if they're around - but it won't be cheap, or searching through a Nordstrom and the like for quality suits on sale. Ebay can also be a great place to find fantastic suit bargains, so long as you know your sizes and you have a tailor you can trust.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:39 pm

Purchased a navy summer suit last year on sale for $99, free tailoring. Fits very well, light weight (good for the south) and it's held up pretty well so far. I don't wear it more than once a week and have only had it a year, so it's a little early to comment on durability.

Never bought a regular suit, shirts or accessories there, so I'm not sure about that stuff...

Royal

Bronze

Post by Royal » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:00 pm

I get the feeling that Brooks Brothers suits are the standard "go to" suits for young professionals. I really don't want to drop $1,000 per suit right now, though. Any suggestions for a decent suit similar to the BB Fitzgerald or Milano line in the ~$500 range? Slim fit, narrow-ish lapels, but still appropriate for a law firm? Preferably not fused...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:24 pm

Royal wrote:I get the feeling that Brooks Brothers suits are the standard "go to" suits for young professionals. I really don't want to drop $1,000 per suit right now, though. Any suggestions for a decent suit similar to the BB Fitzgerald or Milano line in the ~$500 range? Slim fit, narrow-ish lapels, but still appropriate for a law firm? Preferably not fused...
Try this...

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:16 pm

I've got 3 suits I need tailored. I think the jackets fit pretty nicely already, but the pants aren't finished.

Any ideas what that'll run me in NYC?

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:22 pm

Anyone suggest any hats for wearing with a suit? Or is it just a no in the legal world..

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:31 pm

Unitas wrote:Anyone suggest any hats for wearing with a suit? Or is it just a no in the legal world..
In the office? I'm pretty sure that's a no everywhere since 1960. Stop taking fashion cues from Mad Men.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:32 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:
Unitas wrote:Anyone suggest any hats for wearing with a suit? Or is it just a no in the legal world..
In the office? I'm pretty sure that's a no everywhere since 1960. Stop taking fashion cues from Mad Men.
Not in the office. I meant walking around outside only.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:37 pm

Unitas wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:
What are you thinking about wearing, a fedora?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:40 pm

Unitas wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:
I can't imagine how much people would make fun of you after you're out of earshot. I'll add GQ to the list of places to stop taking fashion cues from when working in the legal market.

Dark navy/charcoal suit, white or blue shirt, solid or striped tie, black or brown shoes, matching belt.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:42 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:
Unitas wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:
What are you thinking about wearing, a fedora?
Dunno, that's why I am asking for suggestions of hats to wear with a suit or not to ever wear any. I just know a baseball cap looks silly.
Are fedoras ok to wear with suits?

Edit, take that as a no.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”