OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
quakeroats

Silver

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by quakeroats » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would never wear anything to a CB but a very nice charcoal or blue suit, white shirt, and nice blue or red tie (striped is fine, but I tend to stick with non-distracting patterns), with lace-up shoes and a matching belt. But my suits and shirts are tailored and slim, my ties are modern, and my shoes are pointy. I don't see the need to dress like someone twice my age. And it worked well for some of the most "stuffy" firms out there.
--ImageRemoved--

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:34 pm

Light blue shirt with navy or dark-charcoal suit?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:36 pm

blowhard wrote:Light blue shirt with navy or dark-charcoal suit?
Of course thats fine. Either one works. Light blue shirts are certainly appropriate for interviews, and they go fine underneath navy and charcoal.

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:42 am

Heartford wrote:Pufer,

Is that a self-tar? If so (or, I guess, even if not), what's your stance on facial hair and professional appearance?
It is a self tar, but it's like four years old. Still have the beard, though (indeed, I've not been clean-shaven in about a decade).

It's probably better to be clean-shaved for interviews and for professional purposes in general with current trends. I get the impression that clean-shaven is more important back east than out west, but the bias is definitely present everywhere.

Keeping the beard is a decided risk for me, but it's really just one of those things - unless you're paying me to get rid of it, I'm keeping it. I go ultraconservative even by my own standards in interview attire (my tie is usually a pindot in the same color and shade as my jacket). Additionally, I'm more a government lawyer type anyway, and the feds don't care quite as much.

If you want to buck the safe route too, it's probably best to limit it to either the goatee and mustache or the full beard as those two are conservative enough nowadays that they may hate your facial hair, but they can't get you for both having facial hair and having daring facial hair.

A better route if you're not totally unfortunate looking absent face fur (if you can even still remember what you look like without a beard, unlike me) would be to shave until you have the job, and then show up in a pinstriped suit, lilac shirt, paisley tie, and a ZZ Top beard.

-Pufer

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:13 am

Pufer wrote: A better route if you're not totally unfortunate looking absent face fur (if you can even still remember what you look like without a beard, unlike me) would be to shave until you have the job, and then show up in a pinstriped suit, lilac shirt, paisley tie, and a ZZ Top beard.

-Pufer
Funny, I just did about the opposite of this. I had a full beard through OCI, shaved it down to a van dyke (goatee + mustache) as a summer associate, and shaved it all off now that I have the job.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, but for me it was intentional. On the one hand, I am pretty young and look pretty young without the beard, so having it tended to lend me some much needed gravitas. On the other hand, I also kept it as a bit of a litmus test for the firms I was interviewing at. I didn't think I would want to work at the kind of place that wouldn't tollerate facial hair, so by sporting it I learned something about the culture of firms who accepted me. Plus, this way I know I can grow it again if I want. I don't think I want to grow back the beard any time soon, but I could.

Of course, as Pufer said, this strategy involves a LOT of risk, so do it at your own peril.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:21 am

AntiHuman wrote:
Bronte wrote:
AntiHuman wrote: I've read the first 60 pages of this thread...I feel embarrased for some of you guys and your posts lol. Like a 20-30 page debate on whether or not button down collars? lol wtf?
The thread is about the details of men's attire. You posted the attire you're planning to wear to OCI in a men's attire thread. If you're completely set on what you're wearing, why did you post it? I pointed out that loafers are not optimal. That's objectively true and common sense. They're casual shoes. Obviously, what's discussed herein is not going to make or break you in an interview.

But you and the long line of posters before you bemoaning the detail-orientation of the thread are just obnoxious. Its purpose is to get at the details and to agree on what's best to wear to an interview. If you're not interested in that discussion, go elsewhere and don't post your planned attire ITT and then lash out at constructive criticism. Also, what the "many recruiting attorneys" you've spoken to say or think really doesn't matter. We're well aware, and it's been readily acknowledged, that many interviewers don't care about what people wear. But some do, and we're thus discussing best practices.
lolz..embarassing
What's embarrassing is that bronte was spot on, and you have nothing legitimate to say. Why are you seeking advice ITT if its "embarrassing?"

Many of the choices debated in this thread are pretty tedious and anal, no doubt. Wearing dark brown shoes, having faint pinstripes in your suit, wearing a green tie, etc. are probably not going to cost you a job. And we've all readily admitted this. But I've also heard of people getting dinged for crazy things like not wearing collar stays. Back in January I saw a kid get lambasted by a managing partner in front of the entire 1L class for his professional attire (which wasn't even that bad). This shit happens. Most people don't care (or even notice) the things we're talking about ITT, but there are some that do, and you should dress in a way that everyone will find appropriate for an interview.

I'm sorry, but loafers are objectively casual. Dark brown shoes or a non-blue/red tie are pretty minor sins in interviews. Loafers? That's actually moderately stupid.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:57 pm

romothesavior wrote:
AntiHuman wrote:
Bronte wrote:
AntiHuman wrote: I've read the first 60 pages of this thread...I feel embarrased for some of you guys and your posts lol. Like a 20-30 page debate on whether or not button down collars? lol wtf?
The thread is about the details of men's attire. You posted the attire you're planning to wear to OCI in a men's attire thread. If you're completely set on what you're wearing, why did you post it? I pointed out that loafers are not optimal. That's objectively true and common sense. They're casual shoes. Obviously, what's discussed herein is not going to make or break you in an interview.

But you and the long line of posters before you bemoaning the detail-orientation of the thread are just obnoxious. Its purpose is to get at the details and to agree on what's best to wear to an interview. If you're not interested in that discussion, go elsewhere and don't post your planned attire ITT and then lash out at constructive criticism. Also, what the "many recruiting attorneys" you've spoken to say or think really doesn't matter. We're well aware, and it's been readily acknowledged, that many interviewers don't care about what people wear. But some do, and we're thus discussing best practices.
lolz..embarassing
What's embarrassing is that bronte was spot on, and you have nothing legitimate to say. Why are you seeking advice ITT if its "embarrassing?"

Many of the choices debated in this thread are pretty tedious and anal, no doubt. Wearing dark brown shoes, having faint pinstripes in your suit, wearing a green tie, etc. are probably not going to cost you a job. And we've all readily admitted this. But I've also heard of people getting dinged for crazy things like not wearing collar stays. Back in January I saw a kid get lambasted by a managing partner in front of the entire 1L class for his professional attire (which wasn't even that bad). This shit happens. Most people don't care (or even notice) the things we're talking about ITT, but there are some that do, and you should dress in a way that everyone will find appropriate for an interview.

I'm sorry, but loafers are objectively casual. Dark brown shoes or a non-blue/red tie are pretty minor sins in interviews. Loafers? That's actually moderately stupid.
+1

lostpike

New

Post by lostpike » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:19 pm

Any thoughts on the suits over at Topman.com

Seem to be of the trim cut like the fitzgerald but I wonder if they are a comparable quality.

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:33 pm

lostpike wrote:Any thoughts on the suits over at Topman.com

Seem to be of the trim cut like the fitzgerald but I wonder if they are a comparable quality.
Never even heard of topman, so hit the various men's style forums for guidance. Appears that it's the menswear section of a group of department stores considered (in combination) to be the slightly more upscale version of H&M (the Target to H&M's Walmart, if you will) over in jolly old England. As H&M suits are generally rubbish, that's not much of an endorsement.

Other than the fact that they both probably technically qualify as suits, nothing at all to do with the Fitzgerald in terms of quality I would guess. H&M is basically low end JC Penney suits in trimmer cuts, so let's say that Topman is Macy's suits in trimmer cuts.

-Pufer

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:05 pm

Pufer -

Is a blue shirt a no-no for OCI? I wore my non-iron white already, and I have another white one (it needs to be ironed), but I would prefer to wear the non-iron blue because it looks sharper. Thoughts? Tomorrow is my busiest OCI day, if that helps at all.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:32 pm

moandersen wrote:Pufer -

Is a blue shirt a no-no for OCI? I wore my non-iron white already, and I have another white one (it needs to be ironed), but I would prefer to wear the non-iron blue because it looks sharper. Thoughts? Tomorrow is my busiest OCI day, if that helps at all.
A light blue shirt is perfectly fine. I wore one today with a charcoal suit and dark red tie. I'm very conservative and I think it looked great. Its certainly not bold if the rest of your attire is conservative.

AntiHuman

Bronze

Post by AntiHuman » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:35 pm

romothesavior wrote:
AntiHuman wrote:
Bronte wrote:

lolz..embarassing

I'm saying some of the posts in this thread make me cringe. That is all.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:40 pm

AntiHuman wrote:
romothesavior wrote: What's embarrassing is that bronte was spot on, and you have nothing legitimate to say. Why are you seeking advice ITT if its "embarrassing?"

--ImageRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AntiHuman

Bronze

Post by AntiHuman » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:48 pm

Bosque wrote:
AntiHuman wrote:
romothesavior wrote: What's embarrassing is that bronte was spot on, and you have nothing legitimate to say. Why are you seeking advice ITT if its "embarrassing?"

--ImageRemoved--
damn that's a nice suit...THANK GOD he isn't wearing button down collar or else his boss might yell at him! O NOEZ!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:49 pm

AntiHuman wrote:
damn that's a nice suit...THANK GOD he isn't wearing button down collar or else his boss might yell at him! O NOEZ!
Come on bro, he's wearing french cuffs, a patterned shirt and is wearing a non blue/red tie. Auto ding.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:01 pm

beach_terror wrote:
AntiHuman wrote:
Come on bro, he's wearing french cuffs, a patterned shirt and is wearing a non blue/red tie. Auto ding.
Also, who wears peak lapels anymore?

jkay

Bronze

Post by jkay » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:33 pm

I bet that smug piece of shit is wearing brown wingtips.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:13 am

AntiHuman wrote:
You shouldn't wear a button down collar ever, anyways. They look like shit.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:18 am

NoleinNY wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
AntiHuman wrote:
Also, who wears peak lapels anymore?
Peak lapels are all class.

AntiHuman

Bronze

Post by AntiHuman » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:58 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
AntiHuman wrote:
good...i saw 2 professors today that I don't really like wear button down collars. HAHA

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:05 am

AntiHuman wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
AntiHuman wrote:
good...i saw 2 professors today that I don't really like wear button down collars. HAHA
Cool story bro. I think they get cooler each time you post ITT.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:47 am

AntiHuman wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
AntiHuman wrote:
Was this meant to imply that you take your fashion cues from professors?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:08 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
AntiHuman wrote:
This is wrong and stupid.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:18 am

Helmholtz wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
AntiHuman wrote:
I mean, I wasn't saying it was a fashion rule. But IMHO they look like shit. Unless you are going hunting or some shit. I'd never wear one to work or when I go out.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:05 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
AntiHuman wrote:
I mean, I wasn't saying it was a fashion rule. But IMHO they look like shit. Unless you are going hunting or some shit. I'd never wear one to work or when I go out.
I don't wear them, but that is more because I don't want to invest in a dress shirt I cannot wear with a suit. My firm id business casual though, so maybe my philosophy will change.

On their own, I think they look fine. I just would never wear them with a suit or a tie. Looks... cluttered to me having the buttons. Plus I don't like the effect it has on the collar shape. Not flattering to my head.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”