OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:35 pm

Do you guys think black/brown Allen Edmonds are appropriate to wear as an intern at a v20 that has a business casual dress code? I just invested in two pairs (I collect shoes), but I'm uncertain if I should even wear them after browsing through this thread :?

Thanks.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you guys think black/brown Allen Edmonds are appropriate to wear as an intern at a v20 that has a business casual dress code? I just invested in two pairs (I collect shoes), but I'm uncertain if I should even wear them after browsing through this thread :?

Thanks.
That's fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:41 pm

bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do you guys think black/brown Allen Edmonds are appropriate to wear as an intern at a v20 that has a business casual dress code? I just invested in two pairs (I collect shoes), but I'm uncertain if I should even wear them after browsing through this thread :?

Thanks.
That's fine.
Ok. Thanks for the reassurance!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:13 am

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jackets/ ... 4760I.html

Is this too bright for OCI's? I usually pair with brown leather shoes, but will go black because of the advice offered here.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:19 am

is the advice itt to pair blue suits with black? p sure blue suits go with brown shoes, especially a suit as blue as that.

imo you're better off with indochino than suit supply.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jackets/ ... 4760I.html

Is this too bright for OCI's? I usually pair with brown leather shoes, but will go black because of the advice offered here.
Fwiw I have that same exact shade of blue and paired it with black shoes. I have been doing fine at pre-OCI.

Granted, this was in CA where we care a lot less about suits in general.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Fwiw I have that same exact shade of blue and paired it with black shoes. I have been doing fine at pre-OCI.

it is not too bright is it? I wont look like a jackass during OCIs?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I don't think so, but maybe I'm a jackass and just don't know it.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That shade of blue is fine. I'd be more concerned about the pockets - personally, I really dislike that style of pockets on a suit. IMO you'd be better off going with the Napoli cut in the same color.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:07 pm

Color's fine but patch pockets look bad, imo

e: scooped
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:11 pm

Just realized the Saks outlet has shirts for $15-25 and slacks for $30-50. Easy way to build up clothes.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:34 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:Just realized the Saks outlet has shirts for $15-25 and slacks for $30-50. Easy way to build up clothes.
Yeah, Off 5th, Last Call, and Nordstrom Rack are all good sources for slacks, IME. For shirts, I don't like to stray from the BB non-iron regent (nee slim fit) because every time I do I end up disappointed or annoyed.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:02 pm

pancakes3 wrote:is the advice itt to pair blue suits with black? p sure blue suits go with brown shoes, especially a suit as blue as that.

imo you're better off with indochino than suit supply.
Eh, that's dark enough to be fine with black shoes. I go black shoes with a similar shade for interviews, but go brown or burgundy for anything else. Any of the above will be fine for interviews, I'd just avoid lighter shades of brown (walnut), but even that probably wouldn't be a huge deal.

But I agree with others that the patch pockets aren't ideal for an interview suit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:30 am

Clean shaven and look like a baby or 5 o'clock shadow which is my normal look? I'm already young (k-Jd) so I don't want them to think I'm too immature.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Clean shaven and look like a baby or 5 o'clock shadow which is my normal look? I'm already young (k-Jd) so I don't want them to think I'm too immature.
Shave. This isn't even close to a question.

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:21 am

yeah shave dood

Yeezus Wept

New

Post by Yeezus Wept » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Clean shaven and look like a baby or 5 o'clock shadow which is my normal look? I'm already young (k-Jd) so I don't want them to think I'm too immature.
It really concerns me that you had to ask this question. Look at it from the interviewer's perspective. You really think she's gonna see your stubble and think "damn, this kid is so mature", as opposed to "what a fucking slob what kind of moron doesn't shave for an interview?" I suggest you get in touch with your career services office and get some pointers on professional norms/interviewing ASAP.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Effingham

Bronze

Post by Effingham » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:08 am

Don't wear blavy (black + navy), easy rule.

jfiaff

New

Post by jfiaff » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:34 am

Effingham wrote:

That's not a rule. Black shoes and a navy suit look fine together, and brown shoes are typically considered too casual for an interview.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:53 am

jfiaff wrote:
Effingham wrote:

That's not a rule. Black shoes and a navy suit look fine together, and brown shoes are typically considered too casual for an interview.
This is the battle of the decade. At work I've had debates over this. I'm on the team that black looks fine with dark navy. However, some disagree and say only brown is acceptable. Yet, they generally are younger. Then there's a contingent where brown shoes = not acceptable for an interview (but this is a small minority).

Effingham

Bronze

Post by Effingham » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:05 am

jfiaff wrote:
Effingham wrote:

Dirty hippie...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:09 am

Any thoughts on glasses vs. contacts? I'm comfortable either way. My eyes are set in a little more than the average person's, so the glasses balance that some, but I don't want an interviewer thinking I'm too lazy to put in contacts.

the-american-guy

New

Post by the-american-guy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:25 am

I apologise if this has been asked before, but does anyone have any recommendations for a place that sells suits for short guys? Or, rather small in general. I have one suit jacket that I cannot even appropriately tailor because it is just too big in general, and I'm looking to get a couple more suits for EIP. I'd like something of decent quality and a moderate price, although it feels like I'm asking for the moon here. XP

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:27 am

I would be very shocked if an interviewer noticed or cared that anybody wore either black or brown shoes with a navy suit. Just be normal. Brown shoes are normal. Tie clips are not normal. A blue shirt is normal. French cuffs are not normal. Ez. Can't go wrong with charcoal suit black shoes and white shirt though.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:57 pm

RareExports wrote:Any thoughts on glasses vs. contacts? I'm comfortable either way. My eyes are set in a little more than the average person's, so the glasses balance that some, but I don't want an interviewer thinking I'm too lazy to put in contacts.
Unless they know you wear contacts, they would never know that glasses were not your everyday.
the-american-guy wrote:I apologise if this has been asked before, but does anyone have any recommendations for a place that sells suits for short guys? Or, rather small in general. I have one suit jacket that I cannot even appropriately tailor because it is just too big in general, and I'm looking to get a couple more suits for EIP. I'd like something of decent quality and a moderate price, although it feels like I'm asking for the moon here. XP
I concede I've never had to shop for shorter suits; I've been average my entire adult life (40R then 42R; 32-35 W; 31 inseam), so take this with a grain of salt, but I do a lot of shopping at the high-end outlets (Last Call, Rack, Off 5th, Barney's outlet). It's rare that I make a good find there because I'm so average. What they have a ton of -- in suits and prices that I envy -- are sizes for shorter folks or giant folks. Those places can take some time and can be frustrating, but when they pay off, it's amazing.

I prefer to go to the brick and mortar and spend a couple quiet hours looking and trying on, but they all have a good online presence now too. The other good thing about the online presence is that a lot of them used to be all-sales-final and had no competition because they didn't locate in the same places physically, but now they've gone to normal 90-day return policies, so you could pick up a few suits you think might work and talk to your tailor about which would be best before returning the others.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”