OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PennBull

Diamond

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by PennBull » Tue May 21, 2013 7:24 pm

Antrim wrote:Business casual for work just means shirt and tie, no jacket right
You've been here long enough for me to assume you're fucking with us, but I'll answer for the rest of the crew here: Don't wear a shirt and tie with no jacket. Skip the tie. Bizcas is just pants and a button down (long sleeve, don't be the IT guy). Throw on a sportcoat or blazer to crisp it up a bit. Don't wear shitty shoes.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Tue May 21, 2013 7:27 pm

aces wrote:Are brown suede oxfords appropriate for business casual? Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Clarks-Mclean-Oxf ... B004H7IN1A
I think suede oxfords could be fine, if they're the right shoe and paired with the right ensemble. but not those clunky things. Definitely not those.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue May 21, 2013 7:59 pm

PennBull wrote:
You've been here long enough for me to assume you're fucking with us, but I'll answer for the rest of the crew here: Don't wear a shirt and tie with no jacket. Skip the tie. Bizcas is just pants and a button down (long sleeve, don't be the IT guy). Throw on a sportcoat or blazer to crisp it up a bit. Don't wear shitty shoes.
a stupid question, but i'm wondering is there a rule about rolling shirt sleeves up around the office (business casual)? i'd prefer to roll my sleeves up a lot of the time, but i'm wondering if this is too casual?

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Tue May 21, 2013 8:02 pm

Lasers wrote: a stupid question, but i'm wondering is there a rule about rolling shirt sleeves up around the office (business casual)? i'd prefer to roll my sleeves up a lot of the time, but i'm wondering if this is too casual?
I don't think there's a problem with it, just know how to do it so it still looks good

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue May 21, 2013 8:10 pm

PennBull wrote:
Lasers wrote: a stupid question, but i'm wondering is there a rule about rolling shirt sleeves up around the office (business casual)? i'd prefer to roll my sleeves up a lot of the time, but i'm wondering if this is too casual?
I don't think there's a problem with it, just know how to do it so it still looks good
Great article.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Broseidon

Gold

Post by Broseidon » Tue May 21, 2013 8:12 pm

FWIW, I regularly rolled my sleeves up two cuff folds last summer and it was never an issue

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue May 21, 2013 8:13 pm

PennBull wrote:
thanks, bro.

summer in LA is gonna be muggy; i imagine my sleeves will be rolled up most of the time.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed May 22, 2013 12:12 am

PennBull wrote:
my whole life has been a lie

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed May 22, 2013 12:32 am

PennBull wrote:
I don't agree. Looks better below the elbow. If your shirt is well-fitted, it will still "lock in" on the forearm. The key is to fold the cuff in half as the last step.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed May 22, 2013 10:55 am

chrisbru wrote:
kferden wrote:@Chrisbru, do you know of any tailor(s) in the Iowa City area that you would vouch for? It's hard to find a decent looking one by just skimming the ads.
I don't, sorry. I do all my stuff in DSM.
I just remembered one place I used. Bunsun Alterations on Burlington Street. Nice lady. Only had pants done their, but she did a good job.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Wed May 22, 2013 7:46 pm

Looking for some recs for biz cas shoes if anyone is willing to help. Also, if you are at a "keep a suit in your office" firm, what are your thoughts on always wearing dress shoes vs. keeping dress shoes at the office vs. just wearing casual shoes if you need the suit?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu May 23, 2013 5:54 pm

My buddy wants me to go with him to JAB and help him pick out a couple suits. Where should we go instead that will reliably be as cheap but not suck? Or is there something we can get at JAB that won't suck? He also wants to get "like ten dress shirts."

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu May 23, 2013 6:16 pm

JAB Traveler shirts are solid as long as they're cheap. JAB in general isn't as bad as their reputation. I used to be in the anti-JAB camp but I now own a few shirts, sweaters, and suits and have been pleased. They're not incredible or on par with the rest of my wardrobe, but their is real value to be had if you go at the right times.

That said, a couple tips for JAB (and really any department store): 1) don't trust their salespeople to know their ass from their elbow when it comes to clothes or fashion. These places purport to know men's clothes but they let their employees look like disheveled messes in ill-fitting suits, odd colored shirts, and $40 slip on shoes. Do your own homework before you go in so you know what looks good and fits right. 2) Similarly, know what this stuff is worth. When you can get CT shirts for 30-40 on sale or BB for 40-50 on sale, dropping $50 for a shirt at Macy's or JAB makes no sense. And 3) get your own tailor.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Fri May 24, 2013 7:53 pm

Just picked up some loafers...should be perfect for my business casual office. First $200 shoes I've bought in my life besides Jordan's haha.

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Sun May 26, 2013 2:18 am

PennBull wrote:
While that's generally true, I worked a summer in an office where "business casual" meant exactly that uniform—dress shirt (sleeves rolled up in the office), tie, no jacket. The only possible way to know what business casual means in an office is to either visit or ask somebody.

-Pufer

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Sun May 26, 2013 2:35 pm

I'm guessing wearing a suit to a business casual firm is a big no-no?

I'm one of those weird people that cringes at the mention of business casual (love my suits...) :lol: .

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Sun May 26, 2013 3:22 pm

That "Italian" way of rolling up sleeves has a lot of problems. First, it only looks good with certain shirts. Second, rolling up sleeves in the office is for goons. Be a man and keep your sleeves buttoned. Third, if you MUST roll your sleeves in the office, rolling past the elbow is going to make you look like even more of a goon to anyone who doesn't notice the subtle "Italian" method you've used to roll your sleeves. Don't do it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sun May 26, 2013 3:36 pm

Borg wrote:That "Italian" way of rolling up sleeves has a lot of problems. First, it only looks good with certain shirts. Second, rolling up sleeves in the office is for goons. Be a man and keep your sleeves buttoned. Third, if you MUST roll your sleeves in the office, rolling past the elbow is going to make you look like even more of a goon to anyone who doesn't notice the subtle "Italian" method you've used to roll your sleeves. Don't do it.
Lies. Every clerk in the courthouse rolls their sleeves. I felt like a dweeb my first day for not doing it. But I do agree that it shouldn't go up higher than your elbow. That's silly looking.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Mon May 27, 2013 5:22 am

So is there any consensus on the folding of sleeves for business casual offices? Seems most there are some against it? I usually prefer to fold my sleeves up to the forearm.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon May 27, 2013 11:57 am

Lasers wrote:So is there any consensus on the folding of sleeves for business casual offices? Seems most there are some against it? I usually prefer to fold my sleeves up to the forearm.
See what people in your workplace are doing

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Mon May 27, 2013 1:23 pm

PennBull wrote:See what people in your workplace are doing
in my experience, this is the answer every time, save for the first day/couple of days.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Tue May 28, 2013 2:25 am

Danger Zone wrote:
Borg wrote:That "Italian" way of rolling up sleeves has a lot of problems. First, it only looks good with certain shirts. Second, rolling up sleeves in the office is for goons. Be a man and keep your sleeves buttoned. Third, if you MUST roll your sleeves in the office, rolling past the elbow is going to make you look like even more of a goon to anyone who doesn't notice the subtle "Italian" method you've used to roll your sleeves. Don't do it.
Lies. Every clerk in the courthouse rolls their sleeves. I felt like a dweeb my first day for not doing it. But I do agree that it shouldn't go up higher than your elbow. That's silly looking.
Depends how formal your office is. Biglaw and courhouses can be very different places, and among firms and judges things can differ wildly. Did you know that Justice Rehnquist made his clerks button their top buttons even without ties? The Chief Justice demanded that everyone look like Forrest Gump. I personally think that rolling up sleeves or going without a tie in law is tacky unless you're really in a place without adequate air conditioning, but I also generally am not a fan of business casual. I think it looks sort of messy and immature unless you're really working late and getting uncomfortable.

KingFish

Bronze

Post by KingFish » Fri May 31, 2013 3:18 pm

I need a navy suit before school starts. Can I get a brief summary of where to look for <$500? Maybe some mailing lists I can sign up for to be notified of sales?

Thanks

Also, is this watch okay for interviewing and stuff?

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Fri May 31, 2013 3:28 pm

The J.Crew Ludlow Suit is great quality for your price range, check them out.

That watch is most certainly not okay, but if you're trying to exude that you're a fan of the Angels, include them on your "interests/hobbies" section at the bottom of your (1-page) resume.

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Fri May 31, 2013 3:33 pm

KingFish wrote:Also, is this watch okay for interviewing and stuff?

ABSOLUTELY. Though it would be better if it were a different logo.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”