OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:35 am

Decent shoes, just not sure why someone would want their black cap toes to be rubber soled. I guess they aren't too clunky on these, but still.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:52 am

I have an old pair of dress shoes that are rubber-soled instead of leather. I much prefer them, as I find them far more comfortable. Also, you can't tell from looking at them that they are rubber instead of leather.

Given a choice, I will take rubber over leather, but I also have really bad knees, and the harder impact of leather hurts when I have to walk a lot.

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:55 am

I have pretty bad knees too, mostly because I'm so freakishly tall and skinny. Rubber soles give more comfort, especially with the Nike tech in these, and they will last longer without need for resole.

For anyone wanting Meltons, Macy's currently has them for $175 online (standard price) but with the "FRIEND" coupon code you can save 25% (through April 30 I believe). If you have a Discover card, link through to Macy's site through ShopDiscover to get 5% cashback. I went to the mall to try on the Meltons yesterday with the intention of ordering from Macy's, but I was less than impressed once I saw them in person, especially compared to the Cole Haans.

turbotong

Bronze

Post by turbotong » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:55 pm

When is the BB semi-annual summer sale?

angrybird

Bronze

Post by angrybird » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:58 pm

turbotong wrote:When is the BB semi-annual summer sale?
i believe it's usually the day after father's day or thereabouts. mid-late june.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:04 am

angrybird wrote:
i believe it's usually the day after father's day or thereabouts. mid-late june.
Yep, and I CANT WAIT.

angrybird

Bronze

Post by angrybird » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:20 am

romothesavior wrote:
angrybird wrote:
Yep, and I CANT WAIT.
halfway through my SA. i'm gonna need a wheelbarrow.

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:47 am

What are the deals like during that sale?

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:56 am

Not exactly mens clothing but mens fashion. Never been able to get the best haircut. What should I say to the barber when I go in? Usually the only details I can give are "short, professional". Then I get weird questions about what size clippers ect

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

drbarry987

Bronze

Post by drbarry987 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:35 pm

Is it OK if I wear a yellow "Livestrong" bracelet during OCI? Been always wearing it for the past 3 years (couple family members with cancer) and it j/w if it's seen as too informal or whatever for biglaw SA interviews. Saw some other post saying that the ONLY thing men should wear besides their suit is a dress watch, so I figured I'd ask.

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:41 pm

drbarry987 wrote:Is it OK if I wear a yellow "Livestrong" bracelet during OCI? Been always wearing it for the past 3 years (couple family members with cancer) and it j/w if it's seen as too informal or whatever for biglaw SA interviews. Saw some other post saying that the ONLY thing men should wear besides their suit is a dress watch, so I figured I'd ask.

I would err on the side of caution and not wear it. You have a good reason to wear it, but some interviewers might not know what it is and assume you aren't dressing seriously.
chem wrote:Not exactly mens clothing but mens fashion. Never been able to get the best haircut. What should I say to the barber when I go in? Usually the only details I can give are "short, professional". Then I get weird questions about what size clippers ect
The first step is finding a good barber who will nail it every time. You can also bring in a magazine with a guy that has the haircut style you want. This isn't really uncommon; barbers are used to it. After you get a good cut, ask what they've done so you can ask for it in the future. For example, I get a medium length semi-part, half-block half-taper with the sides feathered, cleanup with a #6, even out the sideburns, and a neck shave. Once you figure out what you want, it shouldn't be a problem.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:44 pm

leobowski wrote:
drbarry987 wrote:Is it OK if I wear a yellow "Livestrong" bracelet during OCI? Been always wearing it for the past 3 years (couple family members with cancer) and it j/w if it's seen as too informal or whatever for biglaw SA interviews. Saw some other post saying that the ONLY thing men should wear besides their suit is a dress watch, so I figured I'd ask.
I would err on the side of caution and not wear it. You have a good reason to wear it, but some interviewers might not know what it is and assume you aren't dressing seriously.
Definitely agree. No reason to wear it to OCI.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:46 pm

chem wrote:Not exactly mens clothing but mens fashion. Never been able to get the best haircut. What should I say to the barber when I go in? Usually the only details I can give are "short, professional". Then I get weird questions about what size clippers ect
Just bring in a picture or two of what you want, that's the best way.

And don't go to Sports Clips or some place like that, go see a real stylist.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:55 pm

kalvano wrote:

You mean a barber? Stylists are typically cosmetologists (trained in women's hair/ makeup/ etc.), whereas barbers are more trained/ experienced with men's hair. Some stylists can cut men's hair decently, but this is the exception rather than the norm.

Of course, not everyone has a good barber available.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:14 pm

leobowski wrote:
kalvano wrote:

You mean a barber? Stylists are typically cosmetologists (trained in women's hair/ makeup/ etc.), whereas barbers are more trained/ experienced with men's hair. Some stylists can cut men's hair decently, but this is the exception rather than the norm.

Of course, not everyone has a good barber available.
I had no idea there was a difference. I go to a lady who calls herself a stylist, she does women's and men's hair. She is one of the few at her place that will do a men's haircut, though. But, at least here, there doesn't seem to be any difference.

I just meant, in general, go somewhere decent like an Aveda place, not a Sport's Clips or something. It will cost more money, but the end result is tons better.

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:34 pm

kalvano wrote:
I had no idea there was a difference. I go to a lady who calls herself a stylist, she does women's and men's hair. She is one of the few at her place that will do a men's haircut, though. But, at least here, there doesn't seem to be any difference.

I just meant, in general, go somewhere decent like an Aveda place, not a Sport's Clips or something. It will cost more money, but the end result is tons better.

I definitely agree that places like Great Clips are terrible at cutting men's hair. But you can save a few bucks by going to a barber. Most barbers charge b/w $12-15 in small cities, and $20 or less in big cities. A good stylist will run north of $40, plus tip. And as I mentioned, licensed barbers go to barber's school where they are predominantly trained in cutting men's hair. Whereas licensed stylists (cosmetologists) have very little training in this area. So you will get a better haircut for cheaper.

Give a barber a try sometime, friend. My barber has a wood stove, an old dog who sits by the fire, a bunch of manly men sitting around gossiping and talking sports/politics (everyone from the lowliest freshmen to the university president), and he gives free neck shaves with a straight razor. It's quite the experience.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:42 pm

leobowski wrote:
kalvano wrote:

I definitely agree that places like Great Clips are terrible at cutting men's hair. But you can save a few bucks by going to a barber. Most barbers charge b/w $12-15 in small cities, and $20 or less in big cities. A good stylist will run north of $40, plus tip. And as I mentioned, licensed barbers go to barber's school where they are predominantly trained in cutting men's hair. Whereas licensed stylists (cosmetologists) have very little training in this area. So you will get a better haircut for cheaper.

Give a barber a try sometime, friend. My barber has a wood stove, an old dog who sits by the fire, a bunch of manly men sitting around gossiping and talking sports/politics (everyone from the lowliest freshmen to the university president), and he gives free neck shaves with a straight razor. It's quite the experience.

Good to know. I'll stick with the lady who does mine since she's been doing it for several years, but good to know.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:29 pm

I love the place where I go. The place is called Cutters & Co., and the tagline is "A Place for Men." You get a free beer when you come in, they do a great cut, and then they give you a shampoo and a scalp massage in one of those massage chairs. The ladies who work there are great, and it is well worth the $20 or whatever I spend. One time I even got a free pint glass out of it. Sweet.

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:43 pm

Well I guess going to a stylist can be legit in those situations (you know what you're getting, and getting shnookered up never hurts). And scalp massages are awesome. The stimulation promotes hair growth and can even prevent thinning/baldness to some extent.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:54 pm

leobowski wrote:Well I guess going to a stylist can be legit in those situations (you know what you're getting, and getting shnookered up never hurts). And scalp massages are awesome. The stimulation promotes hair growth and can even prevent thinning/baldness to some extent.
Yeah these are like women barbers. They pretty much exclusively do men. I love the place, and I'd recommend it to anyone in St. Louis. Very classy joint too.

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:25 pm

I think what you're describing sounds more like a gentlemen's club...
romothesavior wrote:Yeah these are like women barbers. They pretty much exclusively do men. I love the place, and I'd recommend it to anyone in St. Louis. Very classy joint too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:06 pm

romothesavior wrote:I love the place where I go. The place is called Cutters & Co., and the tagline is "A Place for Men." You get a free beer when you come in, they do a great cut, and then they give you a shampoo and a scalp massage in one of those massage chairs. The ladies who work there are great, and it is well worth the $20 or whatever I spend. One time I even got a free pint glass out of it. Sweet.
That sounds awesome, and $20 is great. We have a place like that around here, but it's like $55 for a men's cut, which I definitely can't afford on a student budget.

I usually go to a Paul Mitchell school. While the students are a bit hit or miss, they won't let you leave without an instructor looking over the hair and fixing anything that needs to be fixed, and the instructors are usually very good at cutting hair.

mirodh

New

Post by mirodh » Tue May 01, 2012 10:42 pm

Pufer wrote:
mirodh wrote:Thanks for the reply, I am a native Texas though so I operate under the assumption that an undershirt is required. Also, on deodorant, I have always been a "just grab and use whatever" kind of guy, is there any out there that really does work well all day and will keep me dry?
Sure antiperspirant has the best cost to active ingredient ratio (same shit as the big brand so-called clinical stuff, only at five fewer bucks and 1-2% less concentration, which is still like 4-5% more than most of the other major brands). It's considered unisex, so some of the scents are kinda lame if you're into scented deodorant, but it comes in unscented.

The real stuff is Certain Dri (the roll-on at night stuff; the stick version is identical to Sure). If Certain Dri doesn't work, you need to see a doctor.

With an undershirt and some Certain Dri, the only remaining issue is going to be the potential for a sweat band at the top of your collar if you're used to more neck ventilation when you're hot (the band is commonly seen amongst folks not used to wearing ties all the time, and made all the more annoying because it is something you can't cover with your jacket). On that, make sure your collar is properly sized and your tie isn't too tight (you should be able to pretty easily slide a finger all the way around your neck with your tie on). Also, you'll want to avoid colored shirts until you acclimate to your new garb; sweat shows up a lot clearer on a colored shirt than if you go with a white shirt of some sort.

-Pufer

Went and got both Certain-Dri roll on at night stuff, and sure. Both work very well, and Certain-Dri is phenomenal...I mean, every direction on the box is a warning, that's my kind of product.

But yeah, just wanted to hope back in here and thank you for the solid advice.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Wed May 02, 2012 5:23 am

Any suggestions on a good belt <$100? I've heard good things about Martin Dingman belts, any thoughts?

I'm very skinny, should I be aiming for plain-front instead pleat-front pants (or is this just a stylistic thing for the most part)?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed May 02, 2012 6:23 pm

Bronck wrote:Any suggestions on a good belt <$100? I've heard good things about Martin Dingman belts, any thoughts?

I'm very skinny, should I be aiming for plain-front instead pleat-front pants (or is this just a stylistic thing for the most part)?
Look at Allen Edmonds belts. I have three of them. They're very nice. As to pleats, you'll want to go without them every time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”