OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ymmv

Diamond

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by ymmv » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:50 pm

Br3v wrote:Credited method for taking a suit with you on a plane for a next day interview?

*Nothing in this post is intended to give the impression that I have such an interview.
Other than flying business class and hanging it up? Fold it in your suitcase with clean plastic bags (I use white garbage bags) laid between every fold. This combined with shower steaming works miracles for fighting wrinkles.

http://lifehacker.com/5885879/fold-and- ... ortability

kckool7

Bronze

Post by kckool7 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:02 pm

Are Bruno Magli's an ok alternative to Park Aves? I'm a noob at all of this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:03 pm

kckool7 wrote:Are Bruno Magli's an ok alternative to Park Aves? I'm a noob at all of this.
I bought these (http://www.zappos.com/johnston-murphy-m ... 29200255:s) as my alternative to Park Aves. They look great and have held up wonderfully over my 1L SA. Highly recommended.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kckool7 wrote:Are Bruno Magli's an ok alternative to Park Aves? I'm a noob at all of this.
I bought these (http://www.zappos.com/johnston-murphy-m ... 29200255:s) as my alternative to Park Aves. They look great and have held up wonderfully over my 1L SA. Highly recommended.
I had those before my Park Ave's... Fine shoe, but not worth $175 when you can get Park Aves for < $250. If you can get the Melton's for <$125, then maybe.

As for Bruno... It appears these are a fine alternative, but not any cheaper so unless you already own them, why not just go PA?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/bruno-magli ... en/2934413

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:14 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I had those before my Park Ave's... Fine shoe, but not worth $175 when you can get Park Aves for < $250. If you can get the Melton's for <$125, then maybe.

As for Bruno... It appears these are a fine alternative, but not any cheaper so unless you already own them, why not just go PA?

Weren't those the shoes OJ was wearing when he TOTALLY DIDN'T KILL HIS WIFE? For some reason that's resonating in my head.

Do you want to wear the same shoes as OJ? Do you want to murder your wife? Just get Park Aves.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:19 pm

park aves at like 250 with tax at nordstroms until the 4th or 5th. not the best price but not terrible i guess.

also, whats the cost difference between uber v. a taxi. i'm sure there is info somewhere but im being lazy

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:31 pm

toothbrush wrote:park aves at like 250 with tax at nordstroms until the 4th or 5th. not the best price but not terrible i guess.

also, whats the cost difference between uber v. a taxi. i'm sure there is info somewhere but im being lazy
For Park Aves. They are $240 or so on Amazon, however if you sign up for Amazon emails in clothing/shoes etc, you get a 1 time 20% off code. That will get you $194 Park Aves.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:31 pm

Can we stop talking like AE's are vastly superior to every other shoe in the price range? If you like a different shoe, get it. A cap-toe oxford doesn't become magical because it has AE on the insole.

Uber is a car service that some independent people use and some taxi drivers use. You order it through your phone so you can track where your car is and not have to worry about paying in person or waiting. UberX is supposed to be cheaper than a taxi. If you use Uber, you're likely a loser. The only excuse is if you live somewhere away from a main road or you're at an event outside of the city.

kckool7

Bronze

Post by kckool7 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:36 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I thought they were significantly more comfortable when I tried them on. Just wanted to see if there was a reason to return them after the fact, besides my desire not to morph into OJ Simpson.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:48 pm

Br3v wrote:Credited method for taking a suit with you on a plane for a next day interview?

*Nothing in this post is intended to give the impression that I have such an interview.
Personally, I wear my suit on the flight and put my coat on top of the carry on luggage after the plane is fully boarded.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:52 pm

BVest wrote:

Personally, I wear my suit on the flight and put my coat on top of the carry on luggage after the plane is fully boarded.
Very credited.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:53 pm

Which of these, if any, are fine for OCI?

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp?pn=13402

OR

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp?pn=14174

Charcoal suit/white shirt

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:57 pm

Second by far.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:58 pm

I mean, they're both fine, but if you don't already have the first one I wouldn't recommend buying it.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:00 pm

Don't have any ties (borrowed friends tie for all of 1L lol)

Gonna grab the second one, thanks. Can't imagine how terrible I'd be dressed without TLS

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:06 pm

LRGhost wrote:Can we stop talking like AE's are vastly superior to every other shoe in the price range? If you like a different shoe, get it. A cap-toe oxford doesn't become magical because it has AE on the insole.

AE PA's are vastly superior to J&M Meltons. They may not be superior to to Bruno Magli's, but they are made in America.

FlowBro

Bronze

Post by FlowBro » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:14 pm

Bruno Magli Maiocco FTW

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:33 pm

chrisbru wrote: but they are made in America.
Relevance?

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:48 pm

chrisbru wrote:AE PA's are vastly superior to J&M Meltons. They may not be superior to to Bruno Magli's, but they are made in America.
sure the AE's are superior to the meltons, but as was previously alluded that's reflected in the cost. PA's at $240 and meltons around $120 are both squarely in the "solid investment" camp; they're each available roughly as often at those prices, and selecting either is perfectly justifiable. the corrected grain of the melton isn't as nice, but still fits a need in even a well curated dress shoe rotation as an objectively dressy bad weather option that doesn't cost shell $$$$.

wish i had something to say about the magli's but that's a relatively hard manufacturer to pin down on their processes or the variation thereof from line to line and nordstrom's pictures are crap so idk. keep em if you like em, no reason not to. [i suspect the reason they were more comfortable when being tried on is that a blake stitched shoe (italian shoes usually are at this price point) generally has fewer layers on the sole than a goodyear welted shoe (like AE), so the AE's would have a longer break in period in exchange for being more waterproof due to the different construction methods. but i don't know for sure that this magli is blake stitched so i'm just spitballing]

as an aside the anon use in this thread continues to amuse...you don't have to hide that you bought johnston murphys, fellas

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:58 pm

Also nobody is going to look at your shoes and think "this fucking idiot didn't buy Allen Edmonds, fuck him, DING."

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:15 am

Danger Zone wrote:
chrisbru wrote: but they are made in America.
Relevance?
I like buying things made in America?

Most things come down to preference - this is no different. Yes, there is a reason to buy AE over J&M or Cole Haan. Is there a reason to buy Bruno Magli vs. AE? Probably... But its more preference there than anything else, unlike AE vs. J&M.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:34 pm

LRGhost wrote:Uber is a car service that some independent people use and some taxi drivers use. You order it through your phone so you can track where your car is and not have to worry about paying in person or waiting. UberX is supposed to be cheaper than a taxi. If you use Uber, you're likely a loser. The only excuse is if you live somewhere away from a main road or you're at an event outside of the city.
notsureifsrs.jpg

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:46 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
LRGhost wrote:Uber is a car service that some independent people use and some taxi drivers use. You order it through your phone so you can track where your car is and not have to worry about paying in person or waiting. UberX is supposed to be cheaper than a taxi. If you use Uber, you're likely a loser. The only excuse is if you live somewhere away from a main road or you're at an event outside of the city.
notsureifsrs.jpg

Yeah I don't get this. There are places and times in NY where it is fucking impossible to get a taxi, and Uber is a super convenient and reliable alternative. Usually not much more expensive, if at all.

Also, the drivers are like 10x less shitty/racist people IME.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:23 pm

ymmv wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
notsureifsrs.jpg

Yeah I don't get this. There are places and times in NY where it is fucking impossible to get a taxi, and Uber is a super convenient and reliable alternative. Usually not much more expensive, if at all.

Also, the drivers are like 10x less shitty/racist people IME.
He was just saying something controversial to get away from the buttplugs convo

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:39 pm

Nah, I truly think Uber is in most instances a stupid yuppie comfort service. It is good if you're black or some other minority since hailing a cab can be difficult and there are times and areas where it's hard to get a cab just in general. It has a purpose but really, it's also not difficult to walk a couple blocks to a main street and get a taxi.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”