OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jdubb990

Bronze

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Post by jdubb990 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:19 pm

3 piece navy with subtle white pinstripes.

zettsscores40

Gold

Post by zettsscores40 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:23 pm

kalvano wrote:
lisjjen wrote:Btw Godspeed, and everyone else who is cheering for the $800 suit. I do have a $600 Joseph Aboud charcoal pinstripe. Here's the problem, I lost 70lbs and thereby $600. Thought that might be an interesting addendum to the conversation.

A good tailor can fix it for you. It won't be absolutely perfect, but you'll easily be able to wear it and be fine.

Just don't get all fatty again. No going back.
This. It also depends on the pinstripes though.

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:32 pm

lisjjen wrote:Btw Godspeed, and everyone else who is cheering for the $800 suit. I do have a $600 Joseph Aboud charcoal pinstripe. Here's the problem, I lost 70lbs and thereby $600. Thought that might be an interesting addendum to the conversation.
$600 Joseph Abboud (list price $695) suits can regularly be found on Overstock and at Nordstrom Rack for under $175. I mean, there's a charcoal pinstripe Abboud on Overstock right now for $183 (albeit in somewhat limited sizes). You lost $400+ the second you handed the clerk your credit card.

-Pufer

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:47 pm

HJO wrote: Congrats on the Job though, I plan on getting pretty ignint with it once I get my $160,000 big law job.
Thanks. Sorry to hear you're gonna get a big law job though. Bummer.
Thomas Jefferson wrote:Why all the button-down collar bashing ITT? I've always thought them to be the more conservative choice. I wouldn't wear a button-down collar to an interview as they have admittedly gained a less formal rep, but I have found them to give a much more reserved appearance. Case in point: Ben Stone
I like it, but it's a weird thing. It's so conservative that it's also trendy. My oxford shirts have really narrow collars for some reason, making them look odd with a tie.

zettsscores40

Gold

Post by zettsscores40 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:47 pm

I think my favorite thing would have to be navy suit, white shirt, red tie, a good pair of brown shoes and a nice watch. I wish I could wear a suit everyday without looking like a complete douche.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:55 pm

zettsscores40 wrote:I think my favorite thing would have to be navy suit, white shirt, red tie, a good pair of brown shoes and a nice watch. I wish I could wear a suit everyday without looking like a complete douche.
I think I'm going to make my parents buy me one for my 1st job. Submariner is out of budget for the next two to three years, but thoughts on this as an everyday to the office watch:

--ImageRemoved--

Mr. Fancy

Silver

Post by Mr. Fancy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:59 pm

How do people feel about a navy pinstripe suit? I already have navy, charcoal, and medium grey suits. It seems to me that a navy pinstripe would be a "wiser" purchase than black, light grey, tan, brown, etc. but I have never been a big fan of pinstripes so I am unsure.

zettsscores40

Gold

Post by zettsscores40 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:00 pm

Omega's are nice. I'm trying to coax my dad into giving me his Raymond Weil that he doesn't wear anymore but he won't budge. :evil:

Mr. Fancy

Silver

Post by Mr. Fancy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:01 pm

GodSpeed wrote:
zettsscores40 wrote:I think my favorite thing would have to be navy suit, white shirt, red tie, a good pair of brown shoes and a nice watch. I wish I could wear a suit everyday without looking like a complete douche.
I think I'm going to make my parents buy me one for my 1st job. Submariner is out of budget for the next two to three years, but thoughts on this as an everyday to the office watch:

--ImageRemoved--
Nice watch, but does the the dial of this watch limit you to black shoes? I have always felt like it has, but I may be over thinking it. But if so, it may not be the best choice for a everyday watch.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zettsscores40

Gold

Post by zettsscores40 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:05 pm

schrutebeetfarms wrote:How do people feel about a navy pinstripe suit? I already have navy, charcoal, and medium grey suits. It seems to me that a navy pinstripe would be a "wiser" purchase than black, light grey, tan, brown, etc. but I have never been a big fan of pinstripes so I am unsure.
I don't see a problem with it. Probably. Some people don't mind wearing black in the workplace. Personally, I would only wear it to funerals or a very formal wedding.

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:08 pm

schrutebeetfarms wrote: Nice watch, but does the the dial of this watch limit you to black shoes? I have always felt like it has, but I may be over thinking it. But if so, it may not be the best choice for a everyday watch.
Good point. Black and brown are a horrible mix of colors.

there is always this option:

--ImageRemoved-- (without the 007)

or I could just get a cheaper watch to wear with brown, but prob wear brown more than black.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:20 pm

Pufer wrote:
So long as it's not an interview, you can get away with an angular shoe with a squared toe, or inexpensive wingtips. I don't think you should ever try to get away with both at the same time, at least with a suit.

-Pufer
I know oxfords are the preferable fare for interviews, but all I have in the way of dress shoes is a pair of wingtips. They are black, round/normal/whatever-you-call-it-toe, and eminently decent. Please tell me I don't need to buy new shoes before OCI. I've got odd-sized feet, Nordstrom Rack never has my size, and I'm too impoverished to go elsewhere.

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:26 pm

Esc wrote:
Pufer wrote:
So long as it's not an interview, you can get away with an angular shoe with a squared toe, or inexpensive wingtips. I don't think you should ever try to get away with both at the same time, at least with a suit.

-Pufer
I know oxfords are the preferable fare for interviews, but all I have in the way of dress shoes is a pair of wingtips. They are black, round/normal/whatever-you-call-it-toe, and eminently decent. Please tell me I don't need to buy new shoes before OCI. I've got odd-sized feet, Nordstrom Rack never has my size, and I'm too impoverished to go elsewhere.
Not optimal, but probably won't hurt too much.

-Pufer

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BunkMoreland

Bronze

Post by BunkMoreland » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:19 am

Omegas are great, but very expensive. Can't you go vintage 70s or 80s and look at a Longines or Ted Hamilton?

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:20 am

I bet a master tailor could alter it to fit if the back length is good. You can easily get the waist area brought in, and it *might* be possible to alter the shoulders with some major work. You should find a really good tailor and take it in, it might cost $100 or so but that's worth it IMO.

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:26 am

GodSpeed wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

I think that's a perfect everyday watch. You really can't go wrong with a steel band and dark dial. That particular watch is pretty well-spoken of on watchuseek forums IIRC.

I wear this watch to work. It's no Omega or Hamilton but it gets the job done:

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:43 am

betasteve wrote:
lisjjen wrote: Not my style. But we can't all be the same.
Going into a legal interview flashy is pretty risky, fyi.
I didn't say flashy. I was just thinking more Daniel Ocean and less stuffy old man. Button downs make me think the latter.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zettsscores40

Gold

Post by zettsscores40 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:46 am

lisjjen wrote:
betasteve wrote:
I didn't say flashy. I was just thinking more Daniel Ocean and less stuffy old man. Button downs make me think the latter.
You're gonna need a tie. Just saying. Think of who you're interviewers are going to be. Stuffy, old men.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:49 am

Pufer wrote:
$600 Joseph Abboud (list price $695) suits can regularly be found on Overstock and at Nordstrom Rack for under $175. I mean, there's a charcoal pinstripe Abboud on Overstock right now for $183 (albeit in somewhat limited sizes). You lost $400+ the second you handed the clerk your credit card.

-Pufer
Funny that you should mention that. I just figured everyone was impressed with $'s. I actually got mine off of Overstock.com for the price you were talking about. I gave you the sticker price. If I was going to pay that much for a suit it would be Brooks Bros at least.

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:56 am

lisjjen wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
betasteve wrote: Fact: If you want want to be known as having any idea about men's business wear, you'd never but a tie on with a button down collar.
I'm not disagreeing that that's how you'll most likely come off to most people. As I admitted outright, I wouldn't wear one to an interview. I'm more asking why they're regarded as such. I've always found them to give a very reserved look, so I'm curious as to why they're almost taboo, sorta like black suits (which I agree are a no-go).
Why would you want a reserved look at an interview? Sure, there's nothing particularly wrong with it... so if mediocrity is what you're after.
OCI is going to be funny.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:06 am

zettsscores40 wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
betasteve wrote:
You're gonna need a tie. Just saying. Think of who you're interviewers are going to be. Stuffy, old men.
Two button charcoal suit with a subtle plaid pattern. White shirt, spread collar. Light blue and white paisley tie in a windsor. How's that?

Not exactly Daniel Ocean. But not timid and not flashy.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:08 am

lisjjen wrote:
Two button charcoal suit with a subtle plaid pattern. White shirt, spread collar. Light blue and white paisley tie in a windsor. How's that?

Not exactly Daniel Ocean. But not timid and not flashy.
terrible.

zettsscores40

Gold

Post by zettsscores40 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:13 am

What Godspeed said. Subtle plaid pattern? WTF? Are you dressing for a law interview or a Player's Ball? Charcoal, blue and white----I don't see that working. IDK how else to stress it but dress as conservatively as possible.

edit: like i said I see no problem with pinstripes but plaid---nuh uh

Aias

New

Post by Aias » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:21 am

What do you guys think about wearing a very expensive watch to an interview?

zettsscores40

Gold

Post by zettsscores40 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:23 am

Aias wrote:What do you guys think about wearing a very expensive watch to an interview?
I mean how expensive? I'd probably shy away from it personally. Might rub someone the wrong way, especially if it's expensive and flashy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”