OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mrloblaw

Silver

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by mrloblaw » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:13 pm

I break two of the above rules at every interview. I think bar lacing generally looks weird because you can't close the bals as far (unless your shoes are too big for you), and whatever is expedient for OCI, ties just look bizarre without a vest or tie bar (I obviously chose the latter) to keep the bottom from flapping around.

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:15 pm

Bronte wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:after going through OCI, i can confirm that this thread is the absolute worst.

(can someone please post a picture of a red or blue pin-dot tie on this page?????)
Yay, you discovered that your fellow law students dress like shit. Would you like a gold star?
exactly the opposite of what i was saying

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:04 am

Stringer6 wrote:
Bronte wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:after going through OCI, i can confirm that this thread is the absolute worst.

(can someone please post a picture of a red or blue pin-dot tie on this page?????)
Yay, you discovered that your fellow law students dress like shit. Would you like a gold star?
Oh, sorry. So what were you saying?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:17 am

mrloblaw wrote:I break two of the above rules at every interview. I think bar lacing generally looks weird because you can't close the bals as far (unless your shoes are too big for you), and whatever is expedient for OCI, ties just look bizarre without a vest or tie bar (I obviously chose the latter) to keep the bottom from flapping around.
If your top button (on a two-button suit jacket) is fastened (as it should be when you're standing) then your tie won't flop about. I don't see what the problem is. Vests and tie bars are a little "out there" by OCI standards.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:59 am

Bronte wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:
Bronte wrote:

Oh, sorry. So what were you saying?
I think he's saying that since many law students dress shitty and still come out of OCI okay, it's no big deal. Yet another person snared up in a sort of is/ought fallacy.

I think it's funny how hard this thread gets straw-manned down.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:56 am

romothesavior wrote:I think he's saying that since many law students dress shitty and still come out of OCI okay, it's no big deal. Yet another person snared up in a sort of is/ought fallacy.

Yeah that's what I thought he was saying. In which case, I reinstate my comment. How does discovering that your fellow law students dressed shitty at OCI somehow make a thread of about dressing well less valuable?

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:03 am

romothesavior wrote:
I think he's saying that since many law students dress shitty and still come out of OCI okay, it's no big deal. Yet another person snared up in a sort of is/ought fallacy.

haha. you're the one creating straw men. anytime someone suggests that this thread isn't exactly right, or that there is more than one way to look okay, you come back with "WOW YOU DON'T THINK WHAT YOU WEAR TO OCI MATTERS AT ALL." but that's not the case.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:28 am

Stringer6 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

haha. you're the one creating straw men. anytime someone suggests that this thread isn't exactly right, or that there is more than one way to look okay, you come back with "WOW YOU DON'T THINK WHAT YOU WEAR TO OCI MATTERS AT ALL." but that's not the case.
What do you mean to say though? It's difficult to discern.

MapsMapsMaps

New

Post by MapsMapsMaps » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:37 pm

I need a pair of casual but nice shoes that can go with a nice pair of jeans or a pair of khakis. Please guide me. Flexibility is good.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:47 pm

MapsMapsMaps wrote:I need a pair of casual but nice shoes that can go with a nice pair of jeans or a pair of khakis. Please guide me. Flexibility is good.
Desert boots. Bit loafers. Possibly Sperrys.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:51 pm

MapsMapsMaps wrote:I need a pair of casual but nice shoes that can go with a nice pair of jeans or a pair of khakis. Please guide me. Flexibility is good.
Slip on Clark's. Some of the most versatile shoes you'll ever own.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:02 pm

Go here: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 0&t=173475

This thread is more geared to OCI stuff, and the posters/conversation in the other thread are far more helpful.

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:30 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Ditto. I'd say DBs, then boots, and then horsebit (which is going to be dressier than the others).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:05 pm

basilseal wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
Ditto. I'd say DBs, then boots, and then horsebit (which is going to be dressier than the others).
I'd rather own loafers/boat shoes over desert boots because the former can go with shorts, khakis, even jeans. I find them far more versatile, personally.

smittytron3k

Bronze

Post by smittytron3k » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:38 pm

Huge fan of nice leather moccasins for situations where you need to dress up jeans or dress down business casual. Cole Haan has an excellent pair at DSW for ~$100.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:55 am

smittytron3k wrote:Huge fan of nice leather moccasins for situations where you need to dress up jeans or dress down business casual. Cole Haan has an excellent pair at DSW for ~$100.
Yeah a nice driving moc goes a long way for casual wear. You can also consinder a plain toe blucher like the AE Kenilworth.

pdiddy89

New

Post by pdiddy89 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:39 pm

smittytron3k wrote:Huge fan of nice leather moccasins for situations where you need to dress up jeans or dress down business casual. Cole Haan has an excellent pair at DSW for ~$100.
I have seen these shoes. I would not recommend them.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:18 pm

romothesavior wrote:
basilseal wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
I'd rather own loafers/boat shoes over desert boots because the former can go with shorts, khakis, even jeans. I find them far more versatile, personally.

Sperry's FTW.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:20 am

Thoughts for OCI/regular life.

Notes:
MTM
I am about the same build as the model, just more ... white.
No idea WTF Indichino is, if anyone has experience I would appreciate it.

http://www.indochino.com/product/the-bl ... kskin-suit

I can definitely see wearing this in my last career, but I am afraid that its not conservative enough for the lawls,

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:06 am

romothesavior wrote:
basilseal wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
Fair point. Clark's also makes a sort of "Desert oxford" which is basically a desert boot without the high ankle, which makes it a bit more versatile.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:25 pm

SemperLegal wrote:Thoughts for OCI/regular life.

Notes:
MTM

I can definitely see wearing this in my last career, but I am afraid that its not conservative enough for the lawls,
Peak lapels, dude.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:55 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:

Notes:
MTM

Peak lapels, dude.
agree to avoid peak lapels, but their other suits are good. i bought the navy one. it was pretty good, esp for the money spent. better than most suits at a regular dept store, and the cut is very slim which i like. i had a groupon though so it only cost me like 230 or something. don't know if i would pay their normal price.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:58 pm

ruski wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

Notes:
MTM

Peak lapels, dude.
agree to avoid peak lapels, but their other suits are good. i bought the navy one. it was pretty good, esp for the money spent. better than most suits at a regular dept store, and the cut is very slim which i like. i had a groupon though so it only cost me like 230 or something. don't know if i would pay their normal price.
Nice. I like everything else about that suit, though. Wonder if they could change just that one thing.

wuduhel

New

Post by wuduhel » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:49 pm

Charcoal suit and black cap toes.

White shirt & navy tie orlight blue shirt & burgundy tie for callback?.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:33 pm

wuduhel wrote:Charcoal suit and black cap toes.

White shirt & navy tie or light blue shirt & burgundy tie for callback?.
I would have said white, but it's really splitting hairs at this point.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”