OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Jsa725

Gold

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Jsa725 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:19 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:35 am

Jsa725 wrote:That's a nice shoe. I am a big fan of the brown/walnut family with navy and charcoal suits (I drank the koolaid and got a pair of black Park Aves for my interview doe)

I suppose I am looking for a multifunctional bizcas shoe that can also be worn with a nice pair of jeans.
After you have your interview shoes squared away I would get a brown pair and a black pair that can be worn with business casual. You're looking for bluchers or loafers here. These will also be wearable with jeans. There are virtually infinite options in this area, from Allen Edmonds and from numerous other shoemakers. It's hard to give you any one recommendation without knowing your price point.

Edit: This bit loafer on clearance for $200 is nice: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/pr ... 0000001_-1.
Last edited by Bronte on Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:42 am

westinghouse60 wrote:Is something like this pattern appropriate for an interview suit? (You have to go to CHAR GREY STR to see it)

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Pr ... 050_357198
Thanks for the link. I didn't know JAB was having that sale and copped that in navy last night. Appreciated.

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:58 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:04 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:06 pm

Jsa725 wrote:Loafer for sure. Probably around $200.

Edit: what are your thoughts on Ferragamo loafers?
Check out that bit loafer, above.

I've never worn Ferragamo, but I understand it to be well regarded. Still, I think you have to be careful because a lot of Ferragamos are very fashion-forward. Obviously you have a lot more leeway than in interviews, but at most firms the look is still pretty staid. And, yes, they're usually well-over twice that amount, but I figured you knew that.

Also, I would get a loafer and a blucher. One in brown and one in black. This will give you some variability in your look and also put less wear on either shoe individually. If you don't have the money now you could wait until you get your first SA paycheck, though.

Beachbum89

Bronze

Post by Beachbum89 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:48 pm

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/boss-black- ... eUrl=Suits

Is this suit ok for OCI or should I stick to my navy suit? The navy suit I have is more conservative with pleated pants. Both fit nicely with the gray being more of a trim fit. I thought it was best to stick with the navy but career services said this looked great when i wore it for a mock interview last week and they said it would be great for OCI.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:55 pm

Ordered Park Aves today from the sale. Unfortunately the estimated day of arrival is after our OCI. I have a brand new pair of fifth avenues. I'm assuming this is a completely acceptable substitute if the park aves dont get delivered on time? I also have an old pair of Park Aves I got from eBay, but they have some scratches and the soles are beat up. Are the fifth aves the better call?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:59 pm

ImNoScar wrote:Ordered Park Aves today from the sale. Unfortunately the estimated day of arrival is after our OCI. I have a brand new pair of fifth avenues. I'm assuming this is a completely acceptable substitute if the park aves dont get delivered on time? I also have an old pair of Park Aves I got from eBay, but they have some scratches and the soles are beat up. Are the fifth aves the better call?
If you have the black Fifth Aves., I don't think you need the Park Aves. I would just wear the Fifth Aves and cancel the Park Ave order. A row of dots on the seem of the cap is not going to make a difference.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:01 pm

Beachbum89 wrote:http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/boss-black- ... eUrl=Suits

Is this suit ok for OCI or should I stick to my navy suit? The navy suit I have is more conservative with pleated pants. Both fit nicely with the gray being more of a trim fit. I thought it was best to stick with the navy but career services said this looked great when i wore it for a mock interview last week and they said it would be great for OCI.
I would stick to the navy suit unless it gets wrinkled or whatever. That suit is not going to ruin you, but it is fairly light-colored and might stand out a little bit.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:04 pm

Bronte wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:Ordered Park Aves today from the sale. Unfortunately the estimated day of arrival is after our OCI. I have a brand new pair of fifth avenues. I'm assuming this is a completely acceptable substitute if the park aves dont get delivered on time? I also have an old pair of Park Aves I got from eBay, but they have some scratches and the soles are beat up. Are the fifth aves the better call?
If you have the black Fifth Aves., I don't think you need the Park Aves. I would just wear the Fifth Aves and cancel the Park Ave order. A row of dots on the seem of the cap is not going to make a difference.
Ah, ok. Thanks for the advice.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:08 am

25% off at Shoebuy today. AE is never part of their sales but many other brands are. If you've always been wanting to land some Bruno Maglis now may be the time.

JDflowergirl

Bronze

Post by JDflowergirl » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:59 am

Hey guys!

My boyfriend needs a new suit for interviews and I am wondering what colors you recommend. I know people say, black, navy blue , and gray. But what shades of gray are appropriate? Light gray, dark gray, charcoal gray, Bluish-gray? Can someone post a link (of a suit) that shows the ideal gray for interviews. Thanks!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:03 am

JDflowergirl wrote:Hey guys!

My boyfriend needs a new suit for interviews and I am wondering what colors you recommend. I know people say, black, navy blue , and gray. But what shades of gray are appropriate? Light gray, dark gray, charcoal gray, Bluish-gray? Can someone post a link (of a suit) that shows the ideal gray for interviews. Thanks!!!
Charcoal gray is ideal.

JDflowergirl

Bronze

Post by JDflowergirl » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:15 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:

Charcoal gray is ideal.
Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:56 am

Hi,

I am struggling with business casual. Can someone post an example of a good jacket to wear (and perhaps also pants to match) for an interview that specifically requests business casual dress.

Thanks!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi,

I am struggling with business casual. Can someone post an example of a good jacket to wear (and perhaps also pants to match) for an interview that specifically requests business casual dress.

Thanks!
To most people in big law, "business casual" means wool slacks and a dress shirt, no jacket. So I think you could do that if you'd like. If you want to to dress it up a little bit but still technically be wearing business casual, I would recommend wearing a suit with no tie. If you do not already own a contrasting sport coat and slacks, I wouldn't go out and buy them for this interview. In any event, that's a somewhat advanced look and can be hard to do right.

For future reference, the advice is not black, navy, or gray; it's navy or charcoal. Avoid black, light blues, and light grays for interviews. Black is generally to be avoided for business wear in general.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:40 pm

Thank You for the advice so far:

I'm bad at this so help me out a bit more please. I am thinking
Black Shoes (AE's)
charcoal wool slacks (not pleated)
A button down.

A tie or no tie?
Pattern on Button down? Color recommendations?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thank You for the advice so far:

Black Shoes (AE's)
A button down.

A tie or no tie?
No tie. I would go with a patterned shirt, something utterly inoffensive like this: --LinkRemoved--.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:43 pm

Bronte wrote:

Black Shoes (AE's)
A button down.

A tie or no tie?
No tie. I would go with a patterned shirt, something utterly inoffensive like this: --LinkRemoved--.

If you're going to be wearing a dress shirt with no tie, would you recommend one with a button-down collar to keep the collar points from spreading?

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:49 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
Bronte wrote:

Black Shoes (AE's)
A button down.

A tie or no tie?

If you're going to be wearing a dress shirt with no tie, would you recommend one with a button-down collar to keep the collar points from spreading?
No, not with a suit. Those are for blazers and more casual situations

Edit: I may have misunderstood your question. This is not as big of a problem is you don't have a jacket on (but I'd still prefer no button collars)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:51 pm

mr.hands wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
Bronte wrote:

Black Shoes (AE's)
A button down.

A tie or no tie?

No, not with a suit. Those are for blazers and more casual situations

Edit: I may have misunderstood your question. This is not s big of a problem is yu don't have a jacket on (but I'd still prefer no button collars)
Yeah, sorry for not being clear about that. I was talking about either with a blazer, or with nothing over the shirt at all.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:16 pm

A lot of people will say that if you're not wearing a tie, you should be wearing a button-down collar. In my observation, I regularly see big law people wearing straight collars without ties. Further, if you're wearing a jacket, I think a straight collar (with solid collar stays) is a sharp look.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:34 pm

I personally never wear button-down collars, with or without a jacket. Always wear your collar stays though. If you keep your shirts in good shape you'll never again need button-down collars in your wardrobe.

(And remember to remove your collar stays before laundering your shirts, especially if you iron them or use a service to press them. They'll ruin the collar otherwise. You see this less with the prevalence of non-iron shirts but 10-12 years ago you would often see shirts that people had left their collar stays in when they sent them to the cleaners).
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:40 pm

BVest wrote:I personally never wear button-down collars, with or without a jacket. Always wear your collar stays though. Keep your shirts good shape and you'll never again need button-down collars in your wardrobe.

(And remember to remove your collar stays before laundering your shirts, especially if you iron them or use a service to press them. They'll ruin the collar otherwise. You see this less with the prevalence of non-iron shirts but 10-12 years ago you would often see shirts that people had left their collar stays in when they sent them to the cleaners).
It has nothing to do with needing or not needing BD collars. It's just a personal preference. I own and wear both tieless and probably prefer BDs when tieless. No BDs with a suit though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”