OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
HenryKillinger

Bronze

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Post by HenryKillinger » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:22 pm

It's funny though because I might actually just continue that practice indefinitely. My uncle was an executive for Neutrogena and then for Johnson & Johnson. I asked him where he bought his suits since he owned quite a few and he said he has always gone to Marshall's and had them tailored elsewhere.

Cactus

Bronze

Post by Cactus » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:31 pm

kalvano wrote:
Cactus wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Generally, flat-front pants make me want to kick the person in the shins and berate them for not dressing like a goddamned American instead of some pansy-ass European.
Sartorially speaking, it doesn't get much more American than flat-front trousers. Granted, traditional American style has its roots firmly planted in British soil, but flat-front trousers are a staple of the American trad style, not counting regional differences in taste (i.e. those in the Southern region of the U.S. tend to favor pleated trousers.)

I'd like to kick you in the shins now, too.
Well considering my predilection for flat-front trousers, not too much has changed.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:55 pm

Cactus wrote:Well considering my predilection for flat-front trousers

Communist.

honestabe84

Bronze

Post by honestabe84 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:30 pm

HenryKillinger wrote:It's funny though because I might actually just continue that practice indefinitely. My uncle was an executive for Neutrogena and then for Johnson & Johnson. I asked him where he bought his suits since he owned quite a few and he said he has always gone to Marshall's and had them tailored elsewhere.

Well fitting cheap suit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bad fitting expensive suit

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:34 pm

honestabe84 wrote:
HenryKillinger wrote:It's funny though because I might actually just continue that practice indefinitely. My uncle was an executive for Neutrogena and then for Johnson & Johnson. I asked him where he bought his suits since he owned quite a few and he said he has always gone to Marshall's and had them tailored elsewhere.

Well fitting cheap suit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bad fitting expensive suit
Well-fitting expensive suit >>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:12 am

Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:16 am

Renzo wrote:
kalvano wrote:Actually, buying a Patek makes Renzo correct. Though if you have $30K plus to spend on a watch, I don't really think you care what others think.
I'd put a lot more watches than just a Patek in that category. Being able to buy a gold Rolex with diamonds in the face does not say "I know how to dress" as much as it says "I spent 1/2 your annual income on a fucking watch."
TBF, that's what a lot of people are trying to say.

Cactus

Bronze

Post by Cactus » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:55 pm

Beautiful Rolex SaintClarence. I'm more of a leather-band guy myself, and am currently combing various places for a vintage mechanical Breitling or possibly an Omega (would absolutley love a Patek or Vacheron Constantin though). Considering my father and grandfather's lack of interest in watches, the patriarchial pass down of the family time piece will have to start with me.

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:59 pm

Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:23 pm

Also, it's a great way to tell who is my equal and who is a mere prole.

grobbelski

Bronze

Post by grobbelski » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:38 am

TLS, I have a situation which I believe you could all help with. I am visiting a school this Thursday as a potential transfer, obviously a good impression is necessary. I've got my tie picked out, and I am going conservatively with a white shirt. And the suit, I have it narrowed down to navy or charcoal. Is there a more credited response in this situation.

Also this may be more appropriate for another thread but if anyone has tips or suggestions for how to have a successful visit as a transfer applicant those would be welcome as well.

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:47 am

grobbelski wrote:TLS, I have a situation which I believe you could all help with. I am visiting a school this Thursday as a potential transfer, obviously a good impression is necessary. I've got my tie picked out, and I am going conservatively with a white shirt. And the suit, I have it narrowed down to navy or charcoal. Is there a more credited response in this situation.

Also this may be more appropriate for another thread but if anyone has tips or suggestions for how to have a successful visit as a transfer applicant those would be welcome as well.
I prefer charcoal, but that is just me

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:50 am

Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:18 am

grobbelski wrote:TLS, I have a situation which I believe you could all help with. I am visiting a school this Thursday as a potential transfer, obviously a good impression is necessary. I've got my tie picked out, and I am going conservatively with a white shirt. And the suit, I have it narrowed down to navy or charcoal. Is there a more credited response in this situation.

Charcoal.

grobbelski

Bronze

Post by grobbelski » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:40 am

SaintClarence27 wrote:
JessicaTiger wrote:

I do, too, but it could depend on the tie.
Thanks everyone for the responses. The tie is a conservative blue with yellow, off-white, and grey diagnal stripes.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:45 am

grobbelski wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
JessicaTiger wrote:

Thanks everyone for the responses. The tie is a conservative blue with yellow, off-white, and grey diagnal stripes.

Definitely charcoal.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:47 am

grobbelski wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
JessicaTiger wrote:

Why are you wearing a suit to visit a school? Who wears a suit at school if you are not interviewing or moot courting it up? Are you interviewing?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

grobbelski

Bronze

Post by grobbelski » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Bosque wrote:
Why are you wearing a suit to visit a school? Who wears a suit at school if you are not interviewing or moot courting it up? Are you interviewing?
Um, I am a transfer applicant, and I haven't been accepted. I feel like it is important to make a good impression and appear professional, is that not TCR?

I mean, I did sign up to sit in on a class, so at least for that part I will be over dressed, but I am meeting with some one from admissions so I thought a suit was a no brainer.

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:28 pm

grobbelski wrote:

It seems like a bit much to me. No one dressed up for ASW and I don't think people usually dress up for campus visits. I feel like a polo shirt and decent shorts should be fine.
Last edited by joeshmo39 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:32 pm

Your dilemma between navy and charcoal could not matter less.

Cactus

Bronze

Post by Cactus » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:37 pm

grobbelski wrote:

Bosque wrote:
Um, I am a transfer applicant, and I haven't been accepted. I feel like it is important to make a good impression and appear professional, is that not TCR?

I mean, I did sign up to sit in on a class, so at least for that part I will be over dressed, but I am meeting with some one from admissions so I thought a suit was a no brainer.
To feel more comfortable in both situations you may ought to wear slacks and a sport coat with an oxford button down, and brown shoes. Bring a tie and make a gut-check call the day of. I've never sat down with admissions, but if they are anything like most school advisors, counselors, office employees, etc. they won't be dressed up in a full suit. Instead of appearing like an appropriately dressed professional, you may end up coming off more like...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

grobbelski

Bronze

Post by grobbelski » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:42 pm

Cactus wrote:
grobbelski wrote:

Bosque wrote:

To feel more comfortable in both situations you may ought to wear slacks and a sport coat with an oxford button down, and brown shoes. Bring a tie and make a gut-check call the day of. I've never sat down with admissions, but if they are anything like most school advisors, counselors, office employees, etc. they won't be dressed up in a full suit. Instead of appearing like an appropriately dressed professional, you may end up coming off more like...

Hah yeah, loved that movie though. You are probably right, the more I've thought about it the more it seemed over dressed. With a sport coat and an oxford it says I am dressed up and care about my appearance, but also that I used an appropriate level of discretion. By slacks do you mean khakis?

Cactus

Bronze

Post by Cactus » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:51 pm

grobbelski wrote: Hah yeah, loved that movie though. You are probably right, the more I've thought about it the more it seemed over dressed. With a sport coat and an oxford it says I am dressed up and care about my appearance, but also that I used an appropriate level of discretion. By slacks do you mean khakis?
Not directly, but I meant to say slacks or khakis. A nice, sharp pair of khakis will be more than sufficient enough. Especially since they are with a sport coat, make sure they fit well, and make sure you have on a brown belt to match the shoes. Nothing says "Hey, I'm an amatuer!" quite like a baggy, ill-fitting pair of khakis held up by an unmatching belt, and paired with a sport coat. Good luck

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:17 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
grobbelski wrote:

It seems like a bit much to me. No one dressed up for ASW and I don't think people usually dress up for campus visits. I feel like a polo shirt and decent shorts should be fine.
You shouldn't even go out to get the mail in a polo and shorts. But don't wear the suit either--at least not in it's entirety. It's not a job interview; go with the suit and no tie, or a tie and no jacket, even just a nice pressed shirt if you wear it well.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:43 pm

betasteve wrote:
Renzo wrote:
You shouldn't even go out to get the mail in a polo and shorts. But don't wear the suit either--at least not in it's entirety. It's not a job interview; go with the suit and no tie, or a tie and no jacket, even just a nice pressed shirt if you wear it well.
Clearly going to be debated, but I would never wear a tie with no jacket, unless I was in the office and within arms reach of a jacket. IMO, it is jacket w/o tie, jacket + tie, or no jacket and no tie.[/quote]
I kind of agree, but the whole entire world is full of office drones wearing ties with no jacket, so it isn't abnormal.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”