OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Mredav44

New

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Mredav44 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:31 pm

Apologies for asking a dumb question, but

Do navy blue ties go with charcoal suits?

Leprechaun

Bronze

Post by Leprechaun » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:37 pm

Not clothing related, but appearance related so this might not be the right thread but thought I'd ask anyway. I'm in my early to mid 40's, and my hair is black with a good bit of grey sprinkled throughout. If you were me, would you color (Just for Men) the greys out for interviews for SA spots? Or, should I just own the fact that I'm older, and keep as is?

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:52 pm

Leprechaun wrote:Not clothing related, but appearance related so this might not be the right thread but thought I'd ask anyway. I'm in my early to mid 40's, and my hair is black with a good bit of grey sprinkled throughout. If you were me, would you color (Just for Men) the greys out for interviews for SA spots? Or, should I just own the fact that I'm older, and keep as is?
I'm about the same age, and in a similar situation. If it's just a sprinkling of "salt and pepper", I'd probably keep it. If it's coming in grey in patches or something that might be distracting, I'd likely cover it. I'm growing a beard for the first time in 20+ years, and I'm surprised at how much grey is in it, but I'll be shaving it off before interviews so I'm not as worried about it.

PBateman1

Bronze

Post by PBateman1 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:59 pm

Mredav44 wrote:Apologies for asking a dumb question, but

Do navy blue ties go with charcoal suits?
That would be an entirely acceptable look.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:07 am

So I have OCI starting tomorrow and while I have a gray and blue suit, neither are really dark, though I would not call them light either.
Is this really going to be an issue?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I have OCI starting tomorrow and while I have a gray and blue suit, neither are really dark, though I would not call them light either.
It's not an issue in the fact that no one is going to bring it up. You might be out of place (depending on how light the suit is) a bit, and there is a possibility, in some interviewers minds, that it reflects negatively on you. Most probably won't care much if at all, but some might. If you don't have a different suit/shirt (although you could always run to a store and get a shirt, but whatevs) it's not like you have another option anyway, so just go in and do your best.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I have OCI starting tomorrow and while I have a gray and blue suit, neither are really dark, though I would not call them light either.
If you want a more in depth answer than above (or a recommendation of one over the other), go to suitsupply.com and post links to the two closest in color.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Emperor of Ice-Cream

New

Post by Emperor of Ice-Cream » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:44 pm

Bros, brown or burgundy bluchers/loafers: which do you think is more versatile?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:40 pm

Emperor of Ice-Cream wrote:Bros, brown or burgundy bluchers/loafers: which do you think is more versatile?
Versatile for OCI and CBs? None of them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:02 pm

I think you would want a pear of black cap-toe oxfords for interviews to be the most conservative possible.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:07 pm

burgundy blucher >> brown blucher >>>> burgundy loafer / brown loafer

burgundy plays better with darker grays than brown and slides around on the formal spectrum slightly better; laced shoes are always more versatile than loafers.

burg vs brown in loafer really doesnt matter. loafer's a loafer. neither look right with darker grays or play up on the formal spectrum.

i'm assuming this isn't for go-to interview shoes, which are pretty inherently not versatile.

Emperor of Ice-Cream

New

Post by Emperor of Ice-Cream » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:23 pm

I have black AE PAs for suits, but I'd like something for wool trousers. I think burgundy PAs are better than brown as a second pair of oxfords, but for biz casual, is dark brown or burgundy more versatile?

If a callback is business casual, aren't bluchers or loafers appropriate and better than oxfords?

Emperor of Ice-Cream

New

Post by Emperor of Ice-Cream » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:24 pm

sprezz wrote:burgundy blucher >> brown blucher >>>> burgundy loafer / brown loafer

burgundy plays better with darker grays than brown and slides around on the formal spectrum slightly better; laced shoes are always more versatile than loafers.

burg vs brown in loafer really doesnt matter. loafer's a loafer. neither look right with darker grays or play up on the formal spectrum.

i'm assuming this isn't for go-to interview shoes, which are pretty inherently not versatile.
Just the insight I was looking for, thank you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:23 pm

Literally nobody will look at your shoes and be like "Holy shit, this guy we gave a CB to is in bluchers instead of oxfords. DING!"

Emperor of Ice-Cream

New

Post by Emperor of Ice-Cream » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:29 pm

Literally nobody suggested they would. Question about appropriateness was sartorial.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:54 pm

Emperor of Ice-Cream wrote:Literally nobody suggested they would. Question about appropriateness was sartorial.
A blucher is less formal but the United States are a little weird with formality compared to England but none of this even matters anymore. You shouldn't wear any kind of loafer in to work if you're looking to be appropriate. A blucher as an all around shoe is fine and I think people overstate the ubiquitousness of oxfords both as the be-all-end-all appropriate office shoe and as the "formal" decision for an office. I don't know that an office is really elevated to the level of being a formal environment even if it requires conservative business dress. Stating true ignorance here.

Colors, I think it's easier to go wrong with browns. Traditionally, brown isn't worn into the city for work. Burgundy and cordovan colors work with pretty much everything and are hard to go mess up across the various greys.

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:35 am

for business casual in general, just scope what others in the office do, especially re: loafers. as far as color goes, i'm with LRG; burgundy's just easier than brown and no less rewarding.

your inclination's right: tradition says blucher (or brogued balmoral) is technically better for non-suit outfits than a PA. but aside from tradition, my eye sees nothing wrong with dark wool pants + jacket + burgundy PA, so while a blucher may be my 1A, a burgundy PA might be my 1B for that level of bizcas. the "tradition" is weak enough that you don't always need to wear the optimal shoe as long as you're wearing an appropriate one. and when you throw in the interview complication, there's enough artificial formality embedded in an interview regardless of dress code that blucher vs balmoral is still not conclusively blucher imo. i think it's 50-50, both equally fine, neither better than the other (but both better than loafers at least for an interview).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:22 am

Thoughts on this really quickly: Bad or acceptable to wear the same tie to the screener and CB interviews for the same firm? Meeting with the same attorney in each, with just over a week between the two interviews.

Neal Patrick Harris

Bronze

Post by Neal Patrick Harris » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:25 am

KD35 wrote:Thoughts on this really quickly: Bad or acceptable to wear the same tie to the screener and CB interviews for the same firm? Meeting with the same attorney in each, with just over a week between the two interviews.
No one will notice. I did this. You're fine

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:50 am

Neal Patrick Harris wrote:
KD35 wrote:Thoughts on this really quickly: Bad or acceptable to wear the same tie to the screener and CB interviews for the same firm? Meeting with the same attorney in each, with just over a week between the two interviews.
FWIW, "I did this" is not a convincing reasoning.

Same tie to both is fine, but wearing a different one is better. There is a very small chance they will notice, though, and even a smaller chance they would care if they did notice.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:57 am

chrisbru wrote:
Neal Patrick Harris wrote:
FWIW, "I did this" is not a convincing reasoning.

Same tie to both is fine, but wearing a different one is better. There is a very small chance they will notice, though, and even a smaller chance they would care if they did notice.
Yea the one I wore is just the best tie I have to wear with the suit that I'll be wearing. Figured it wouldn't be a big deal but I really didn't want to screw the pooch over something stupid like wearing the same tie twice. Granted, if I got dinged because of that, IDK if that's the kind of place I'd want to work.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:17 am

blue shirt for cb is fine right, or should i just stick w. white

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:38 am

Just go over to brooks and get another tie. You'll need them, and if you get a classic style you'll use it forever.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:39 am

toothbrush wrote:blue shirt for cb is fine right, or should i just stick w. white
I'm not a big fan of the blue shirt for CB, but not for formality reasons. Blue shirts tend to show sweat more, and on my very first CB (I was wearing white, thankfully), my very first interview was in the office of a partner who apparently liked the temp 78-80 degrees. I was unable to cool down for the rest of my interviews and, while I was never in a flopsweat, by the end of it my collar was soaked. Had I been wearing blue, that would have shown.

Also, being in Texas, with Aug/Sept CBs I'm generally sweating between the garage and the building door.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:39 am

Just stick with a white shirt. It's a simple rule

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”