OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Emma.

Gold

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Emma. » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:the sharkskin is from BR on sale, pretty light color, so i'm ruling it out.

the navy pinstripe is from jcrew ludlow, like this one:
http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/suit ... /35591.jsp
although mine is from last yr, one center vent.
i would say the navy is very dark in person, the stripes are subtle. i guess it's a pretty standard jcrew navy suit that doesn't change much from yr to yr, so you'll know the color if you are familiar with jcrew.
i was confident that it would be appropriate for a legal interview in SF, until i read this thread.
although the bay area is pretty casual - lawyers wear just shirts and dress pants for work. a tie is rarely needed.
I hear the weather in SF has been pretty cool lately so you might be able to go with the flannel, but I also think if you keep the rest of your outfit toned down the jcrew suit will be totally fine.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:23 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Kretzy, out of curiosity: was this a Cali firm? I have no firsthand knowledge, but I've heard that Cali firms sometimes tend to be less rigidly conservative than, say, NYC or Chicago.

Also, FWIW: my favorite tie with a navy suit is a burgandy tie. It just seems to go better than red, IMO, and it gives you the power tie look without screaming so loudly. I'm no suit expert, though, so if no one agrees with me feel free to disregard.
I just got a crimson tie for my navy suit. I think you're spot on, although I think you can't go wrong with a red tie for any suit. It's a bolder look, but still very traditional.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:33 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Kretzy, out of curiosity: was this a Cali firm? I have no firsthand knowledge, but I've heard that Cali firms sometimes tend to be less rigidly conservative than, say, NYC or Chicago.

Also, FWIW: my favorite tie with a navy suit is a burgandy tie. It just seems to go better than red, IMO, and it gives you the power tie look without screaming so loudly. I'm no suit expert, though, so if no one agrees with me feel free to disregard.
It wasn't, but was in a city with a similar vibe to SF. The only CBs I did were west of the Mississippi, though, and each city seemed to be pretty casual on the whole. I can count on one hand the number of folks I met on callbacks who were wearing suits.

Edit: This is Kretzy. My bad.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:39 pm

Maroon/burgundy is a solid choice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:44 pm

So if you have one totally conservative (charcoal solid) and one slightly less conservative (navy with very thin and light pinestripes that are close together) you guys would suggest wearing the former every day for OCI?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So if you have one totally conservative (charcoal solid) and one slightly less conservative (navy with very thin and light pinestripes that are close together) you guys would suggest wearing the former every day for OCI?
Not if it means not getting your suit pressed... If you have back to back interviews every day for a week you are going to need to get the suit pressed at some point in there or it is going to look like shit.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:21 pm

Emma. wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So if you have one totally conservative (charcoal solid) and one slightly less conservative (navy with very thin and light pinestripes that are close together) you guys would suggest wearing the former every day for OCI?
Not if it means not getting your suit pressed... If you have back to back interviews every day for a week you are going to need to get the suit pressed at some point in there or it is going to look like shit.
I just pulled a suit out of my closet that I've been wearing for probably three weeks without getting it pressed or dry cleaned. It has no wrinkles. Admittedly, I don't wear it on back to back days, and often take my jacket off when I'm sitting down, but I think you can make it through OCI with one suit. You can also steam it yourself, no? It's nice to wear a different suit to callbacks, but not mandatory as I doubt many will remember what you wore.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:37 pm

Bronte wrote:
Emma. wrote:
I just pulled a suit out of my closet that I've been wearing for probably three weeks without getting it pressed or dry cleaned. It has no wrinkles. Admittedly, I don't wear it on back to back days, and often take my jacket off when I'm sitting down, but I think you can make it through OCI with one suit. You can also steam it yourself, no? It's nice to wear a different suit to callbacks, but not mandatory as I doubt many will remember what you wore.
For someone who usually advocates conservatism, this surprises me. :lol:

I'm thinking more the pants than the jacket, but personally I'd imagine after 5 days of back to back interviews in the same suit it isn't going to be looking its best. I'd rather show up in a pressed suit with pinstripes than a plain suit that is wrinkled and creased.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:50 pm

Emma. wrote:For someone who usually advocates conservatism, this surprises me. :lol:

I'm thinking more the pants than the jacket, but personally I'd imagine after 5 days of back to back interviews in the same suit it isn't going to be looking its best. I'd rather show up in a pressed suit with pinstripes than a plain suit that is wrinkled and creased.
Agreed. Best of both worlds is probably to get them both pressed and cleaned before the interviews, and only break out the pinstripes if the other gets wrinkled.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:55 am

I just ordered a Daniele 2B suit from Wizard of Aahs on eBay. They get great reviews from the guys on askandyaboutclothes.com

I'll report on quality when it arrives, then again after it's tailored.

HarveyBirdman

New

Post by HarveyBirdman » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:06 am

god this thread is huge.

what is the current fashion trend when it comes to tie pins, clips, or bars? do people wear any of them or wear nothing at all and let the tie flop around? i'm talking more once you are working, but i guess it applies to interviews as well. hmm...assume working without a jacket on all day too.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:09 am

HarveyBirdman wrote:god this thread is huge.

what is the current fashion trend when it comes to tie pins, clips, or bars? do people wear any of them or wear nothing at all and let the tie flop around? i'm talking more once you are working, but i guess it applies to interviews as well. hmm...assume working without a jacket on all day too.
No.

HarveyBirdman

New

Post by HarveyBirdman » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:29 am

Veyron wrote:

No.
no what? wear nothing to keep tie in place, you mean?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

The Valkyrie

Bronze

Post by The Valkyrie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:10 pm

I prefer bars, but they have not been fashionable in some time. the only people I know who regularly wear tie pins are waiters.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:39 pm

HarveyBirdman wrote:
Veyron wrote:

No.
no what? wear nothing to keep tie in place, you mean?
Applying for job as waiter: Wear tie bar
Applying for job as lawyer: Don't wear tie bar
Applying for job at that coffee shop where lawyers dispense legal advice: Unclear

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:40 pm

Met an associate a couple weeks ago who was wearing a tie bar. A little surprised. It's been a while since I've seen one on a lawyer.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:52 pm

If anyone's looking for only 1 suit, I just bought a Jos A Bank sig gold for $350. For me it was a better deal than their other "buy a million things get a million other things free."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:27 pm

GeePee wrote:If anyone's looking for only 1 suit, I just bought a Jos A Bank sig gold for $350. For me it was a better deal than their other "buy a million things get a million other things free."
+1. Did this a couple weeks ago. It takes awhile for them to tailor it (at least in my case) so I'd act now if you want one for OCI.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:38 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
GeePee wrote:If anyone's looking for only 1 suit, I just bought a Jos A Bank sig gold for $350. For me it was a better deal than their other "buy a million things get a million other things free."
+1. Did this a couple weeks ago. It takes awhile for them to tailor it (at least in my case) so I'd act now if you want one for OCI.
I shuttered to try the JAB in-house tailor, so I'm taking it to a local tailor instead.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:58 pm

GeePee wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:
I shuttered to try the JAB in-house tailor, so I'm taking it to a local tailor instead.
He did a good job on my suit. It could probably be better, but I look like a fucking boss.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:00 pm

I think in-store tailors are pretty hit-or-miss. A lot of them run their own independent, well-respected tailoring businesses on the side, while others don't even do the tailoring (they make the chalk marks and then send it off-site somewhere).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:08 pm

Nightrunner wrote:WTF is the "Joseph" line of suit, and is it trustworthy?
Never heard of it. Pufer says don't trust anything below Signature. And in Pufer we trust! :D

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:14 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:WTF is the "Joseph" line of suit, and is it trustworthy?
Never heard of it. Pufer says don't trust anything below Signature. And in Pufer we trust! :D
Agreed, but ostensibly (and I use this rather loosely, given JAB's pricing policies), it is higher than signature line.
I think it's like their "Mad Men" line attempt. Slim fitting, plain front trousers (which I guess is edgy by JaB standards), etc... No idea about the quality.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:23 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Met an associate a couple weeks ago who was wearing a tie bar. A little surprised. It's been a while since I've seen one on a lawyer.
They've been back in fashion for a while. I wouldn't wear one to an interview, but I sometimes wear them in other circumstances.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:33 pm

With navy suit?

--ImageRemoved--

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”