OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thsmthcrmnl

Bronze

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Post by thsmthcrmnl » Mon May 30, 2011 8:16 pm

vanwinkle wrote:What are the best places to get affordable but decent clothes of any kind in NYC?
The answer is always Century 21.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon May 30, 2011 10:08 pm

thsmthcrmnl wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:What are the best places to get affordable but decent clothes of any kind in NYC?
The answer is always Century 21.
Not of any kind; but definitely suiting and dress pants. You could go terrible wrong looking for mens' dress shirts there.

Also, if you are emo-skinny, Uniqlo often has nice looking, comfortable dress pants dirt cheap. However, I'm no fatty and I can't get my thigh in any pants that come from there.

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:35 pm

So I was in BB today, and the saleswoman told me that they are having a one-day 30% off sale 6/12. I'm thinking about grabbing a Fitzgerald or Regent. I haven't followed the BB sales for long, but I haven't seen anything even close to approaching the old 2 for 1's mentioned at the beginning of this thread. Is the 30% something I should spring for or are there usually better deals later in the year. I saw Pufer's post above about late June and the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays. The lady at the store mentioned that the late June sale would be 25% off.

At the same time, Hugo Boss is offering 25% off almost all of their suits. I checked a few out and they looked nice, but admittedly, I know nothing about their reputation.

In any case, with their respective discounts, both the BB and Hugo Boss suits would be $600 each. Good deal? Also, anyone have any preferences? BB seems to be favored on here.

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:22 pm

OutCold wrote:So I was in BB today, and the saleswoman told me that they are having a one-day 30% off sale 6/12. I'm thinking about grabbing a Fitzgerald or Regent. I haven't followed the BB sales for long, but I haven't seen anything even close to approaching the old 2 for 1's mentioned at the beginning of this thread. Is the 30% something I should spring for or are there usually better deals later in the year. I saw Pufer's post above about late June and the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays. The lady at the store mentioned that the late June sale would be 25% off.

At the same time, Hugo Boss is offering 25% off almost all of their suits. I checked a few out and they looked nice, but admittedly, I know nothing about their reputation.

In any case, with their respective discounts, both the BB and Hugo Boss suits would be $600 each. Good deal? Also, anyone have any preferences? BB seems to be favored on here.
BB is a step above Boss. Boss becomes a good deal around 350 or so.

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:39 pm

twert wrote:
OutCold wrote:So I was in BB today, and the saleswoman told me that they are having a one-day 30% off sale 6/12. I'm thinking about grabbing a Fitzgerald or Regent. I haven't followed the BB sales for long, but I haven't seen anything even close to approaching the old 2 for 1's mentioned at the beginning of this thread. Is the 30% something I should spring for or are there usually better deals later in the year. I saw Pufer's post above about late June and the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays. The lady at the store mentioned that the late June sale would be 25% off.

Do you think the 1818 line at $600 is a good deal? I haven't seen a better deal from BB, but as I mentioned, I haven't been looking for long either. I really appreciate the input. I'd hate to overpay, but I do need to upgrade my suit at some point in the coming months.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:54 am

Just saw a commercial that Jos A Bank is doing a buy 1 suit at regular price, get 2 suits free. I'm suspicious, though. Is there something I should be worried about? I suspect that the price of the first suit is inflated for what you get. But I've also heard that the suits are alright for their price.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:15 am

missinglink wrote:Just saw a commercial that Jos A Bank is doing a buy 1 suit at regular price, get 2 suits free. I'm suspicious, though. Is there something I should be worried about? I suspect that the price of the first suit is inflated for what you get. But I've also heard that the suits are alright for their price.
Jos. A Banks basically never sells anything at "full price." Their suits are alright for the price when they're doing a three-for-one. Otherwise, they're offensively overpriced.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:46 am

missinglink wrote:Just saw a commercial that Jos A Bank is doing a buy 1 suit at regular price, get 2 suits free. I'm suspicious, though. Is there something I should be worried about? I suspect that the price of the first suit is inflated for what you get. But I've also heard that the suits are alright for their price.

Their suits are cheap and will fall apart in a yer or two.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:27 pm

kalvano wrote:

Their suits are cheap and will fall apart in a yer or two.
This has not been true in my experience. I have a couple Jos A Bank suits that are still in great shape after 2+ years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:08 pm

So long as you go Signature line or up, you'll get a solid (albeit not spectacular) deal on their 3-for-1 sales. The JAB Signature line is noticeably better than the $500 list price department store lines (everything at Men's Wearhouse, Lauren, etc.). Sig Gold and Platinum are totally legit suits these days at their 3-for-1 price levels.

You can go Executive line if you just need some basic suits to fill a wardrobe (i.e., you suddenly need to wear a suit everyday, but you only have your interview suit) and don't want to worry about it too much, but they're really about a half-step below the $500 list price department store lines (which you can fairly reliably get for under $200), and aren't going to be particularly long-lived.

If you've never purchased a JAB suit, however, I'd recommend that you shuffle into a store and try a couple jackets on. JAB jacket shoulders are cut and padded wider than most these days (which is definitely more pronounced towards the lower-end of the JAB line - their Executive, Traveler, and Poplin suits have serious shoulders). The thing is, 95% of folks looking at you won't notice this at all (we're talking quarter-inches here) - it's more a feel thing (and if you've not worn any suits that aren't JAB, you wouldn't notice anything different at all).

-Pufer

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I'm actually outside the Bank right now. I must have misread the advertisement. It's suit separates and tuxedos, not matched suits.

Is that less of a bargain?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:52 pm

missinglink wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I'm actually outside the Bank right now. I must have misread the advertisement. It's suit separates and tuxedos, not matched suits.

Depends. Do you need 3 tuxedos?

saito816

Bronze

Post by saito816 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:36 pm

missinglink wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I'm actually outside the Bank right now. I must have misread the advertisement. It's suit separates and tuxedos, not matched suits.

Wait really? The advertisement says suits, rather then separates.
http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Co ... ORE_EVENTS
I was thinking about going tomorrow... I should probably call the store before I go. If I do end up buying 3 suits, does anyone have any recommendations on what to look for? I was thinking charcoal, navy and maybe pinstripe, but I'm not sure.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:48 pm

Yeah, you are right. It is all stock suits. Rather confusingly they have separate ads in the window.

I passed on the suits. All they had were patterned solids in my size. I also didn't dig the sheen on the fabric. It didn't look right. And the shoulder pads bugged me. I'm fairly slim at a 36s and I don't think it fits my body type. It's a hell of a sale though. Three free traveler shirts too.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:06 pm

Dumb question but... how many times can you wear a suit before you should have it dry cleaned?

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:13 pm

OutCold wrote:
twert wrote:

Do you think the 1818 line at $600 is a good deal? I haven't seen a better deal from BB, but as I mentioned, I haven't been looking for long either. I really appreciate the input. I'd hate to overpay, but I do need to upgrade my suit at some point in the coming months.
yeah, 600 for the 1818 seems solid. I've paid more for worse suits. I wouldn't call it a spectacular deal. I will say that the fitzgerald cut is really nice.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:02 pm

traehekat wrote:Dumb question but... how many times can you wear a suit before you should have it dry cleaned?
Depends how frequently you are wearing it, as well as how many times. If you rarely have to wear it, you could go a really, really long time just airing it out and using a little steam. If you're wearing it 2x a week, it's gonna get funky a lot quicker.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:11 pm

Renzo wrote:
traehekat wrote:Dumb question but... how many times can you wear a suit before you should have it dry cleaned?
Depends how frequently you are wearing it, as well as how many times. If you rarely have to wear it, you could go a really, really long time just airing it out and using a little steam. If you're wearing it 2x a week, it's gonna get funky a lot quicker.
Also remember that the more often you clean it, the quicker you kill its lifespan. You really have no need to clean it unless a) it smells funky or b) you spill something on it.

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:21 pm

Renzo wrote:
You have to keep in mind though that the more you clean a suit, the more it's going to show wear, and the greater the chance that they'll screw the job up and give the fabric a shiny look. My point is that you definitely don't want to over-clean a suit and you need a cleaner you can trust.

GoldenGloves

Bronze

Post by GoldenGloves » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:36 pm

HenryKillinger wrote:
Renzo wrote:
You have to keep in mind though that the more you clean a suit, the more it's going to show wear, and the greater the chance that they'll screw the job up and give the fabric a shiny look. My point is that you definitely don't want to over-clean a suit and you need a cleaner you can trust.
Unless you spill something on it, once a year.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:49 pm

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,357 ... r-Men.html

Seems like a decent deal, especially with a 30% coupon they sent me. I can't find any reference to a "Fancy Suit" line at Hickey Freeman, which leads me to believe that it might be the brand attached to a less well-made suit. The MSRP probably never really existed.

Would it be overkill to fly to Hong Kong and get some custom made suits? :mrgreen:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:38 pm

missinglink wrote:http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,357 ... r-Men.html

Seems like a decent deal, especially with a 30% coupon they sent me. I can't find any reference to a "Fancy Suit" line at Hickey Freeman, which leads me to believe that it might be the brand attached to a less well-made suit. The MSRP probably never really existed.

Would it be overkill to fly to Hong Kong and get some custom made suits? :mrgreen:
That's a nice suit for $450 (after the coupon).

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:39 pm

GoldenGloves wrote:
HenryKillinger wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Unless you spill something on it, once a year.
or you're in DC and walking to/from work and back and forth to court in the heat of the day. Ugh that was miserable last week.

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:43 pm

missinglink wrote:Seems like a decent deal, especially with a 30% coupon they sent me. I can't find any reference to a "Fancy Suit" line at Hickey Freeman, which leads me to believe that it might be the brand attached to a less well-made suit. The MSRP probably never really existed.
STP often adds extraneous words to their titles like "fine," "fancy," and "wool rich" that have nothing to do with the actual garment on sale. I suspect that this is one such situation as I've never heard of a Fancy line from HF, and they list no such line on their website. In any event, STP is great with returns if you wanted to test it out.

-Pufer

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:32 pm

Pufer wrote:
So long as you go Signature line or up, you'll get a solid (albeit not spectacular) deal on their 3-for-1 sales. The JAB Signature line is noticeably better than the $500 list price department store lines (everything at Men's Wearhouse, Lauren, etc.). Sig Gold and Platinum are totally legit suits these days at their 3-for-1 price levels.

You can go Executive line if you just need some basic suits to fill a wardrobe (i.e., you suddenly need to wear a suit everyday, but you only have your interview suit) and don't want to worry about it too much, but they're really about a half-step below the $500 list price department store lines (which you can fairly reliably get for under $200), and aren't going to be particularly long-lived.

If you've never purchased a JAB suit, however, I'd recommend that you shuffle into a store and try a couple jackets on. JAB jacket shoulders are cut and padded wider than most these days (which is definitely more pronounced towards the lower-end of the JAB line - their Executive, Traveler, and Poplin suits have serious shoulders). The thing is, 95% of folks looking at you won't notice this at all (we're talking quarter-inches here) - it's more a feel thing (and if you've not worn any suits that aren't JAB, you wouldn't notice anything different at all).

-Pufer

So about how much would I be looking at to get 3 signature line suits with the 3 for 1 deal?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”