OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
existenz

Silver

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Post by existenz » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:12 pm

Don't feel like digging through this thread, so here's a question I'd like answered: what times of the year do the best sales happen? I'm assuming right after New Year's is probably one. How about late summer/early fall?

RudeDudewithAttitude

New

Post by RudeDudewithAttitude » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:34 pm

yhezel wrote:Has anyone here ever bought an online custom made suit?

I've seen the ads but it seems like a huge gamble, so I'm wodering if anyone knows of a reputable company.
Generally, buying a suit online is a huge gamble. However, a CUSTOM suit is different. So long as you do the measurements properly (i.e., get someone else to do them and double check the measurements), everything should be fine.

William

New

Post by William » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:44 pm

existenz wrote:Don't feel like digging through this thread, so here's a question I'd like answered: what times of the year do the best sales happen? I'm assuming right after New Year's is probably one. How about late summer/early fall?
In my experience, sales happen year round. The best deals are two-for-one or half off. Sorry for the lack of specifics but it varies greatly from region.

zettsscores40

Gold

Post by zettsscores40 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:46 pm

existenz wrote:Don't feel like digging through this thread, so here's a question I'd like answered: what times of the year do the best sales happen? I'm assuming right after New Year's is probably one. How about late summer/early fall?
Somebody already said it but sales happen year round. Keep your eye peeled. Also local men's stores are ftw a lot of times. I've come across some great deals and found one I'll def. be going back to once in a bit when I'm in the market. They'll also usually do some kind of tailoring special too IME.

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:09 pm

Nightrunner wrote:OK, I'm a poor, so feel free to disregard my advice if you aren't a poor. This worked for me.

1. Go to eBay
2. Find a good suit you like in your measurements
3. Receive; verify it is what you wanted it to be
4. Take to local tailor

I'm no style expert, nor am I saying this will work for everyone (nor should it: some of you upper middle-class fuckers are probably already laughing at me), but I've looked damn good for remarkably little using this method.

Hell, I even have a perfectly measured Brooks Bros. suit in my closet right now, and (all in all) it cost me less than $200.
I have had bad experiences with getting shoulders redone. Getting the length redone makes it look awkward. If those two work already, the suit basically fits

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:10 pm

I don't remember seeing this anywhere in the thread, so what is the general consensus on oxblood colored shoes with a navy suit? Is it even acceptable? I like it better than brown, but is black still better? Disclaimer: I am absolutely not a "GQ" kind of guy and am relatively fashion-clueless, so take that into consideration.

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:14 pm

for an interview?

Stop complicating it.

Suit: Navy or charcoal, 2 button or low cut 3 button
Shirt: Fucking white, no button down collar, no french cuffsn
Tie: Red power tie.
Belt and shoes: Black.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:52 pm

Very proud of myself. Never been able to figure out/master the full windsor before, so I've always just done the four-in-hand and adjusted the size of the knot based on the collar. But tonight I finally figured out and subsequently rocked the full windsor with a wide collared shirt and looked like a fucking stud.

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:57 pm

I posted this in the Women's Suiting thread, but I thought others might be interested too. Tax-free weekends in a number of states are coming up in the next few weeks, and since they're aimed at the back-to-school shoppers clothing is often included.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:59 pm

NR, that's good advice for saving money. That said, I have a Hugo Boss suit in my closet that looks really sharp and cost $200 on sale at Macy's. Tailoring was extra of course.

My only problem is that it's a black suit, bought for formal events. Still need to get myself a navy/charcoal suit.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:19 am

GodSpeed wrote:for an interview?

Stop complicating it.

I hate the solid red power tie, but this is surely credited.

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:55 am

TTH wrote:
GodSpeed wrote:for an interview?

Stop complicating it.

I hate the solid red power tie, but this is surely credited.
No one cares. Wear it to the interview anyway.

I just had an interview today. Duder before me came out wearing a black and white tie and rubber soled shoes from the local TTTT lol school. I instantly felt more confident.

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:48 am

GodSpeed wrote: I just had an interview today. Duder before me came out wearing a black and white tie and rubber soled shoes from the local TTTT lol school. I instantly felt more confident.
lol at black & white tie. That shit is ftl on any single article of dress clothing

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:53 pm

How bad is it to wear rubber-soled shoes? I mean, I sure as hell don't have the money to drop on 2-3 pairs of $200 leather soled shoes.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:01 pm

romothesavior wrote:How bad is it to wear rubber-soled shoes? I mean, I sure as hell don't have the money to drop on 2-3 pairs of $200 leather soled shoes.
Depends on the shoe, but it's pretty bad. You don't have to spend $200 to get leather soled shoes though.

Edit: never mind, I was thinking shoes with rubber mid-soles, which are strictly for casual wear.
Last edited by Bronte on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lonerightly

New

Post by lonerightly » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:04 pm

romothesavior wrote:How bad is it to wear rubber-soled shoes? I mean, I sure as hell don't have the money to drop on 2-3 pairs of $200 leather soled shoes.
Why do you need 2-3 pairs of leather soled shoes?

Some think there are advantages to rubber-soled shoes (like comfort which personally I don't think is true) but what matters is the quality of construction and with leather soled shoes you are much more likely to get a pair of shoes that are constructed well and will last you a long time. If you are low on cash just get a nice pair of black cap-toed oxfords with leather soles.

Nordstrom is having a sale of AE Park Avenues right now for roughly $200. Those are about as conservative interview shoes as you can get and pretty well made. Shop around online and other places, I personally bought a pair of beautiful Santoni's for $150 at the Nordstrom Rack, which is a great deal for hand-made Italian shoes which normally retail for 400-500$.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:15 pm

lonerightly wrote:

Some think there are advantages to rubber-soled shoes (like comfort which personally I don't think is true) but what matters is the quality of construction and with leather soled shoes you are much more likely to get a pair of shoes that are constructed well and will last you a long time. If you are low on cash just get a nice pair of black cap-toed oxfords with leather soles.

Nordstrom is having a sale of AE Park Avenues right now for roughly $200. Those are about as conservative interview shoes as you can get and pretty well made. Shop around online and other places, I personally bought a pair of beautiful Santoni's for $150 at the Nordstrom Rack, which is a great deal for hand-made Italian shoes which normally retail for 400-500$.
This. Nordstrom Rack is a dream for decent quality dress shoes at legit prices.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:37 pm

Nightrunner wrote:OK, I'm a poor, so feel free to disregard my advice if you aren't a poor. This worked for me.

1. Go to eBay
2. Find a good suit you like in your measurements
3. Receive; verify it is what you wanted it to be
4. Take to local tailor

I'm no style expert, nor am I saying this will work for everyone (nor should it: some of you upper middle-class fuckers are probably already laughing at me), but I've looked damn good for remarkably little using this method.

Hell, I even have a perfectly measured Brooks Bros. suit in my closet right now, and (all in all) it cost me less than $200.

That works if you know your size in a brand pretty well. I got a nice navy Brooks Bros. golden fleece using this method, but I know exactly what size I wear for that brand.

RudeDudewithAttitude

New

Post by RudeDudewithAttitude » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:07 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
lonerightly wrote:

This. Nordstrom Rack is a dream for decent quality dress shoes at legit prices.
+1 The Rack is awesome for suits too, but it may take multiple visits.

Also, while I generally agree that leather soles are much, much better than rubber soles, it totally depends on the shoe. I don't like bulky looking shoes and most bulky shoes have rubber soles. I got this pair of rubber soled Allen Edmonds at the Rack for $130: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/pr ... ory=120552 Notice that the shoe still looks sleek and classy. I am always on the look out for good deals, but if one doesn't come along, this pair will be fine for my interviews.

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:21 pm

Some rubber soled oxfords are completely acceptable. J-Crew makes a pair that never seems to change and is corporate drone safe. Just don't wear low-top Doc Martens or anything that doesn't have skinny laces (as a quick and easy rule of thumb). Anything thicker than you'd find on typical Nubucks is a no-no. Shy away from other bold features on rubber soled shoes as a rule of thumb (no thick rubber soled monk-straps, plz.)

Suits really depend on all kinds of things like your body type, your coloration, the season, where you live, etc. But in general I'd at least want a cotton khaki suit, a navy or light blue cotton suit, a blue wool suit (pinstripe OK, but you should have a solid too), and a grey/black wool suit (medium weight, grey is better.) After that you can get more creative--seersucker for the summer, glenn plaids, nailhead checks, etc. I'd say that unless you have a really WASPy affect (and like it that way) it's best to keep away from the blue blazer and grey slacks or khakis look, even when not meeting clients. Guys: mens' fashion and lifestyle magazines tend to be utter crap, but it's sometimes worth it to buy the seasonal Esquire and GQ fashion issues (just be wary of their more outlandish suggestions.)

Nordstrom's Rack was mentioned, but brand outlet stores are also your friend. It's truly difficult to believe the price deltas between, say, the Polo retail stores and the outlets. Hit the outlets at the right time and you can find Purple Label, University Club, Chaps, RRL (the upscale womens' lines too, like Ralph) etc....other brands often work the same way. The danger is buying too much at a convenient outlet, winding up looking like a walking catalog shoot, and using up the budget such that you missing out on other stuff.

Just $0.02 from a kid of clotheshorse lawyers.....
Last edited by Duralex on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:27 pm

HenryKillinger wrote:
GodSpeed wrote: I just had an interview today. Duder before me came out wearing a black and white tie and rubber soled shoes from the local TTTT lol school. I instantly felt more confident.
lol at black & white tie. That shit is ftl on any single article of dress clothing
That really depends on the suit and shirt.....if subtle (like a smallish check such that it looks grey from a distance--not a striped rep tie) it could look decent with, say, a charcoal chalk-stripe suit. Especially a three piece. But those tend to look the best on older barrister-looking types (probably not who you were up against.) And they'd probably be wearing tasseled kiltie loafers w/that kind of look, not a rubber soled Dexter. (heh.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:56 pm

Duralex wrote:
HenryKillinger wrote:
That really depends on the suit and shirt.....if subtle (like a smallish check such that it looks grey from a distance--not a striped rep tie) it could look decent with, say, a charcoal chalk-stripe suit. Especially a three piece. But those tend to look the best on older barrister-looking types (probably not who you were up against.) And they'd probably be wearing tasseled kiltie loafers w/that kind of look, not a rubber soled Dexter. (heh.)
You're gonna get lolled out of an interview. 3 piece suit? GTFO.

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:08 pm

No, I'm not suggesting wearing a 3 piece to an interview as a new/young attorney. That's silly, unless you can REALLY pull it off (you probably can't.)

I'm simply saying that black and white ties are not always fail.

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:13 pm

they are in a legal job interview.

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:19 pm

You're wrong about that, but I really don't give a shit. Whatever. Wear the Brooks Brothers two button blue suit with light blue tab collar oxford and blue and red rep tie banker uniform if it makes you feel better.

Last edited by Duralex on Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”