OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:21 pm

Never been called in to a local office of a firm for a screener by video at another office before, so I'm just wondering, Navy suit or Charcoal suit?

Navy is bespoke with a slight herringbone pattern, very classic and fits me slightly better jacket wise but the pants were from when I was a few pounds heavier.

Charcoal is BB Fitzgerald, fits well and just your traditional NY powersuit.

Target office is non-NY Northeast.

Also since its video I'm probably going with a blue shirt and a tie primarily blue as well...

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:44 pm

Either suit is fine but wear a white shirt dude.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:17 pm

Danger Zone wrote:Either suit is fine but wear a white shirt dude.
I would normally go with white, but I've been told to go with blue for video because white could reflect too much, no issues?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:24 pm

Who said that :lol: Sounds like a boomer myth. I've worn white on video interviews without a problem.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:45 pm

It's old media training advice for TV interviews. Specifically, you're supposed to avoid wearing black, white, and orange/red. That said, video interviews are done under significantly different lighting and camera conditions than TV.

As far as what to wear for your interview, you can try out a couple different things in a room with similar lighting conditions to the room in which you'll be videoconferencing by using your computer's video recording setting. And if you're actually videoconferencing from your computer for the interview, be sure to be aware of your background and keep it professional and uncluttered. Set your laptop on a few casebooks on the table so that it's not looking up at you so much as looking you in the eye.

Lastly, though it may be tempting to do the videoconference with just the top half of your suit with jeans, be sure to wear the trousers as well, in case something happens that requires you to stand up before the interview concludes.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:58 pm

BVest wrote:It's old media training advice for TV interviews. Specifically, you're supposed to avoid wearing black, white, and orange/red. That said, video interviews are done under significantly different lighting and camera conditions than TV.

As far as what to wear for your interview, you can try out a couple different things in a room with similar lighting conditions to the room in which you'll be videoconferencing by using your computer's video recording setting. And if you're actually videoconferencing from your computer for the interview, be sure to be aware of your background and keep it professional and uncluttered. Set your laptop on a few casebooks on the table so that it's not looking up at you so much as looking you in the eye.

Lastly, though it may be tempting to do the videoconference with just the top half of your suit with jeans, be sure to wear the trousers as well, in case something happens that requires you to stand up before the interview concludes.

The thing about this is that they actually have me going to one of their main offices to a full on video conference room for this so I have no idea what the lighting will be, but I'm assuming I'll meet at least some people at this office too if not for interviews at least casually. I guess I can just treat it as any other interview though.

kamalpreet11

New

Post by kamalpreet11 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:16 am

Go and check fsession.com

lawstudent_87

New

Post by lawstudent_87 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Last edited by lawstudent_87 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:46 pm

would recommend another pair for longevity of your current pair, if no other reason. having a rotation pays dividends.

personally i'd stay away from a loafer and go for a brogue of some sort, whether a less formal cap toe or wingtip/longwing (even a plain toe blucher, maybe?). loafers can be a bitch to size right and are less versatile in general. but get what you like! even a loafer is doable in the summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AmericanHustle

New

Post by AmericanHustle » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:22 pm

Anyone know when the next Brooks Brothers 25% storewide sale will be (think they call it the "Friends and Family Sale")?

I thought it was sometime March last year...

theramblinman

New

Post by theramblinman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:28 pm

I am looking to get a new navy suit for the summer. I was browsing online and found a 2 button Poplin suit from Jos A Bank dirt cheap. I am not familiar with this material, and I am looking for some feedback. Would this type of suit be acceptable for the summer or should I stay away?

for reference:
http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Pr ... 050_357190

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:03 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:13 pm

theramblinman wrote:I am looking to get a new navy suit for the summer. I was browsing online and found a 2 button Poplin suit from Jos A Bank dirt cheap. I am not familiar with this material, and I am looking for some feedback. Would this type of suit be acceptable for the summer or should I stay away?

for reference:

Unless you have done this before, I would advise against buying Jos. A. Bank suits online. You can certainly get a great suit from there, but they are very likely to cut corners on materiel, cuts, or stitches (things that they can hide online). Big clothiers often change their suppliers throughout a run, so you might actually get a very different material then the one that you see in the picture.

On the other hand, if you go in person, know what you are looking for, and aren't desperate, its very possible that you can get a good suit at that price.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UMich11

Bronze

Post by UMich11 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:17 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
theramblinman wrote:I am looking to get a new navy suit for the summer. I was browsing online and found a 2 button Poplin suit from Jos A Bank dirt cheap. I am not familiar with this material, and I am looking for some feedback. Would this type of suit be acceptable for the summer or should I stay away?

for reference:
Cotton/poly suits are crap. A wool suit is worth the extra money.
posted this on another thread too, but you get $50 off your first suit: http://share.indochino.com/x/xYEs9e (full disclosure I also get $50 off my next suit).

I've bought two suits from them already and they fit great. Go to a tailor, have them do your measurements and then send them in to indochino. Suit will be at your door in ~30 days. They build the suit to your exact measurements so you know it will fit well. They also give you 75 in alteration reimbursement and if you're still unhappy they'll rebuild the suit for you.

For dress shirts i recommend the Americano Spread collar from Bonobos - http://a.bono.bs/x/bAGuQG (you get $25 off your first order, i get 25 off my next order). Just got the blue check Americano and wore it to an interview with the Indochino charcoal suit. Will know the results of the interview tomorrow but the MP asked where i got the suit b/c he thought i spent over $1k on it; sent him the link and he ordered one a few days later.

Holynorth

Bronze

Post by Holynorth » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:10 pm

Those suits are about the same price as the BB Suiting Essentials. I'm not sure on the quality, but BB takes your measurements and gets the suit to you in ten days. Just something to compare.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:21 pm

Figured I'd give another shout out for Suitsupply. Honestly, I think my Suitsupply suits look as good if not better than by Brooks Brothers suit, and they cost less. I believe the Suitsupply suits were around 500, and I get nonstop compliments on them. Highly recommended for those who want a real nice and sharp suit but without spending close to 1000 on it.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:44 pm

Just got a letter in the mail that BB is having their friends and family sale next week. 15% additional off, 25% if you have the card. If you go to an outlet, you can normally get one of those 10% off coupon books that stack as well. Good way to quickly build a (relatively) cheap and (fairly) nice wardrobe. Especially for us slimmer, East Coast folk

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:31 pm

SemperLegal wrote:Just got a letter in the mail that BB is having their friends and family sale next week. 15% additional off, 25% if you have the card. If you go to an outlet, you can normally get one of those 10% off coupon books that stack as well. Good way to quickly build a (relatively) cheap and (fairly) nice wardrobe. Especially for us slimmer, East Coast folk
Do you or anyone know when the semi-annual sale is? Got an SA (Biz cas) and need to stock up on clothes since all my old work clothes don't fit me anymore. Is this the best chance to get a bunch of BB shirts, or is semi-annual in-time (or better?)

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:40 pm

If I remember correctly, the semi annual is around mid to late June, because then the clearance stuff all comes out around July 4th.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:28 am

Danger Zone wrote:If I remember correctly, the semi annual is around mid to late June, because then the clearance stuff all comes out around July 4th.
is this the probably cheapest they'll be until then?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:If I remember correctly, the semi annual is around mid to late June, because then the clearance stuff all comes out around July 4th.
Don't know if they'll get any cheaper, but next week (March 24-31) is their "Preferred Customer Sale." Extra 15% off; should be an online code for it coming out soon, or you can ask about it in the store. Apparently you can also get 15% off now through March 23 online with just the promo code BB15.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AmericanHustle

New

Post by AmericanHustle » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:41 pm

BVest wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Don't know if they'll get any cheaper, but next week (March 24-31) is their "Preferred Customer Sale." Extra 15% off; should be an online code for it coming out soon, or you can ask about it in the store. Apparently you can also get 15% off now through March 23 online with just the promo code BB15.
The problem with the semi-annual sale is that the staple items (e.g. 1818 or golden fleece suits) are almost never on sale and if they are, they sell out fast. But here's a trick for anyone to get 40%, which is basically the biggest discount you're going to get. They have corporate members events 5-6 times a year when anything in the store is 30% if you show your corporate card. I have heard that the next one will be around May 20th (always ask the sales associates, they usually know when these sales are).

Step 1: Before a corporate members event, or whenever, go to cardcash.com and buy gift cards for BB at 10% off.
http://www.cardcash.com/buy-discounted- ... ame=brooks

Step 2: Sign up for a corporate membership. This is really easy to fake. A simple Google search will lead you to multiple organizations that display their membership codes for anyone to use. Corporate members get 15% off year-round, and 30% off 5-6 times throughout the year. For example use this:
http://www.betagammasigma.org/brooksbrothers.htm

BOOM. I just let you guys in on how to get 40% off anything at BB 5-6 times a year.

ETA: Sometimes you can find gift cards or printable coupons online worth 15%-20% off, giving you 45%-50% off total. It's definitely possible.

aces

Bronze

Post by aces » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:38 pm

I thought the corporate member discount didn't stack on top of other sales/discounts?

AmericanHustle

New

Post by AmericanHustle » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:34 am

aces wrote:I thought the corporate member discount didn't stack on top of other sales/discounts?
Doesn't stack on store discounts such as Friends & Family, Semi-Annual, etc.

But if you buy discounted gift cards, which are the equivalent of cash, you are getting the extra 10%-20% discount on top of the 15%-30% corporate discount. Nothing gets charged to the corporate card; they swipe it and then you pay in gift cards.

I recently did this and got 45% off anything I wanted - using a discount code I found on one website (dansdeals.com) to get 15% discounted gift cards on cardcash, plus 30% for the corporate discount.

Normally you can get 10% discounted gift cards on card cash without using any discount codes.

No one should ever be paying more than 75% of the retail price for BB. If you need it immediately and there isn't a sale, use cardcash 10% discounted gift cards + student discount (merely being a student and showing your ID you get 15% off) or corporate card (15% off) and you have 25% off.

UMich11

Bronze

Post by UMich11 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:19 am

AmericanHustle wrote:
aces wrote:I thought the corporate member discount didn't stack on top of other sales/discounts?
Doesn't stack on store discounts such as Friends & Family, Semi-Annual, etc.

But if you buy discounted gift cards, which are the equivalent of cash, you are getting the extra 10%-20% discount on top of the 15%-30% corporate discount. Nothing gets charged to the corporate card; they swipe it and then you pay in gift cards.

I recently did this and got 45% off anything I wanted - using a discount code I found on one website (dansdeals.com) to get 15% discounted gift cards on cardcash, plus 30% for the corporate discount.

Normally you can get 10% discounted gift cards on card cash without using any discount codes.

No one should ever be paying more than 75% of the retail price for BB. If you need it immediately and there isn't a sale, use cardcash 10% discounted gift cards + student discount (merely being a student and showing your ID you get 15% off) or corporate card (15% off) and you have 25% off.

The student discount stacks up. I think it is 15%. Just show them your school Id.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”