OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Gold

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:18 am

GodSpeed wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Waterman47 wrote:If for no other reason, I would never wear a shoe that is called "tasseled and kiltied."

And I'm the complete opposite in terms of clothes hording; having too much makes me feel weighed down. Every 6 months or so I go through my closet and give anything I haven't worn in the previous half-year to Goodwill (other than seasonal stuff or situational clothing like a tux). I've never went back to my closet and felt that I was missing something I needed.
I'm with you on that. I own like 25 polos and I only wear about 12, so I think I'm going to drop off a bunch at the Goodwill before I move to STL. I can't remember the exact statistic, but I read some random article or survey (on Yahoo or something) that said people wear a pretty low percentage of their wardrobe each month, like under 50%.

A dozen shits and a dozen ties is plenty (maybe even overkill), and you can pair them all in different combinations to make it look like you have a pretty diverse wardrobe.
i prob have 12 shirts I wear rgularly and 25 tires. I wish I had 3 or 4 more shirts. I have 6 suits I wear regularly, wish I had 2 or 3 more.
25 tires? That's a lot of rubber...

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:29 am

blowhard wrote:
GodSpeed wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Waterman47 wrote:If for no other reason, I would never wear a shoe that is called "tasseled and kiltied."

And I'm the complete opposite in terms of clothes hording; having too much makes me feel weighed down. Every 6 months or so I go through my closet and give anything I haven't worn in the previous half-year to Goodwill (other than seasonal stuff or situational clothing like a tux). I've never went back to my closet and felt that I was missing something I needed.
I'm with you on that. I own like 25 polos and I only wear about 12, so I think I'm going to drop off a bunch at the Goodwill before I move to STL. I can't remember the exact statistic, but I read some random article or survey (on Yahoo or something) that said people wear a pretty low percentage of their wardrobe each month, like under 50%.

A dozen shits and a dozen ties is plenty (maybe even overkill), and you can pair them all in different combinations to make it look like you have a pretty diverse wardrobe.
i prob have 12 shirts I wear rgularly and 25 tires. I wish I had 3 or 4 more shirts. I have 6 suits I wear regularly, wish I had 2 or 3 more.
25 tires? That's a lot of rubber...
Funny - I was questioning the dozen shits...

jrs12

New

Post by jrs12 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:41 am

I think a lot of people here are imagining different kinds of loafers.

These are the classic lawyers' shoes:
They're often worn with business suits in the office. I wouldn't wear them for an interview, but I sincerely doubt that anybody would hold it against you. Here's an article about these particular shoes.

Now, the type of loafer that should not be worn with a suit is more like this:
Gorgeous, but definitely casual.

The safest choice for interviews is a cap-toe balmoral:
--ImageRemoved--
Note the difference between the closed lacing on the balmoral (above) and the open lacing on the blucher (below)
If you have a high instep, you may find the bluchers to be more comfortable.

The standard, great value, can't-fail choice in cap toe bals is the Park Ave, by Allen Edmonds. Even at full retail, they're a good value, but you can find them for really cheap on ebay. If you're willing to go used, you can get them for almost nothing. There's no need to be afraid of quality used shoes. The interiors are easily sanitized because there's nothing but smooth leather. The soles can be replaced several times.

If you prefer something slightly edgier, the Soho, also by Allen Edmonds, is also a cap-toe bal, but it has a narrower, more continental last, with a slightly chiseled toe (the elegant cousin of the disgusting square-toe).

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:49 pm

And what if you don't have $300+ to drop on a pair of shoes? How about something in the ~$100 range?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:24 pm

What's a good inexpensive option for a black cap-toe? Are these acceptable: http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/i ... ryID=39833

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Waterman47

Bronze

Post by Waterman47 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:28 pm

Bronte wrote:What's a good inexpensive option for a black cap-toe? Are these acceptable: http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/i ... ryID=39833
Rubber sole = auto ding. The person in charge of the firm's hospitality suite will check the bottom of all applicants' shoes before they can go into an interview. Like this:

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:29 pm

Bronte wrote:What's a good inexpensive option for a black cap-toe? Are these acceptable: http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/i ... ryID=39833
I have these shoes. They look nice and are incredibly comfortable.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:30 pm

Yes, Bostonians are certainly acceptable. Just make sure that you get the leather soles.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:34 pm

The one's in the picture look like they're leather soled (although I see that it says rubber soles). Would they just have a rubber insert?

Edit: I would buy these in store anyway, but I just want to make sure I'm understanding.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:39 pm

Finding a reasonably-priced leather soled shoe is proving difficult.

Waterman47

Bronze

Post by Waterman47 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:41 pm

Bronte wrote:The one's in the picture look like they're leather soled (although I see that it says rubber soles). Would they just have a rubber insert?

Edit: I would buy these in store anyway, but I just want to make sure I'm understanding.
You might be confusing the sole with the insole, or the midsole. The sole is the bottom of the shoe, the part that meets the ground. The midsole is the part that connects the sole to the top of the shoe. The insole is what your foot rests on. Shoes that cost ~$100 are almost certainly rubber soled, unless you find a great bargain. I've been looking for a good pair of leather soled shoes in my price range and haven't found anything under ~$200 or so.

Waterman47

Bronze

Post by Waterman47 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:42 pm

romothesavior wrote:Finding a reasonably-priced leather soled shoe is proving difficult.
Buy a nice pair of rubber-soled shoes. No one will care/notice at interviews/callbacks, and once you get a job you can invest in a pair of leather-soled shoes. It's better to wait and buy a good pair of leather-soled shoes than to stretch your budget to buy some relatively crappy leather-soled shoes.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:43 pm

Waterman47 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Finding a reasonably-priced leather soled shoe is proving difficult.
Buy a nice pair of rubber-soled shoes. No one will care/notice at interviews/callbacks, and once you get a job you can invest in a pair of leather-soled shoes. It's better to wait and buy a good pair of leather-soled shoes than to stretch your budget to buy some relatively crappy leather-soled shoes.
But won't Pufer and the fashion police insult me in public for it?

-romo

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:45 pm

Waterman47 wrote:
Bronte wrote:The one's in the picture look like they're leather soled (although I see that it says rubber soles). Would they just have a rubber insert?

You might be confusing the sole with the insole, or the midsole. The sole is the bottom of the shoe, the part that meets the ground. The midsole is the part that connects the sole to the top of the shoe. The insole is what your foot rests on. Shoes that cost ~$100 are almost certainly rubber soled, unless you find a great bargain. I've been looking for a good pair of leather soled shoes in my price range and haven't found anything under ~$200 or so.
Thanks, never knew that. So if only the sole is rubber, how is anyone going to know short of a soccer-style inspection as pictured above? When you cross your legs, etc.?

Edit: I guess you kind of answered that above.

Waterman47

Bronze

Post by Waterman47 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:50 pm

Bronte wrote:
Waterman47 wrote:

Thanks, never knew that. So if only the sole is rubber, how is anyone going to know short of a soccer-style inspection as pictured above? When you cross your legs, etc.?

Edit: I guess you kind of answered that above.
Yeah, that's the point. Suggesting that rubber soled shoes might hurt your chances in an interview is absurd because there is almost no way that an interviewer will be able to tell what the sole of your shoe is made of.

Leather soles are desirable because they last much longer and are said to be more comfortable, but they are a luxury item on par with $1000 suits and such.

Waterman47

Bronze

Post by Waterman47 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:54 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Waterman47 wrote:
But won't Pufer and the fashion police insult me in public for it?

-romo
Yes. Might also come up on character and fitness portion of the bar. But what can you do? Your fault for being poor.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:02 pm

I've had good success with finding Cole Haan's on sale. They tend to be relatively comfortable and relatively affordable. I know they are not Allen Edmonds, but they're aren't bad for sub $200.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:08 pm

I like Bostonians a lot.

To be fair, though, isn't it easy to tell what your sole is made of if you're doing any walking on a tile floor? My shoes are loud as hell, while I've seen others walking essentially silently.

zettsscores40

Gold

Post by zettsscores40 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:14 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
I've had good success with finding Cole Haan's on sale. They tend to be relatively comfortable and relatively affordable. I know they are not Allen Edmonds, but they're aren't bad for sub $200.
Cole Haan's are my favorite. Very comfortable on my feet.

zettsscores40

Gold

Post by zettsscores40 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:19 pm

Gilt Groupe is having a Hugo Boss suit sale for anyone interested.

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:29 pm

Just go to JC Penney and buy a pair of Rockports. They are by far the most comfortable dress shoes I've worn in any price range.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:43 pm

zettsscores40 wrote:Gilt Groupe is having a Hugo Boss suit sale for anyone interested.
FYI: A lot of their stuff is probably inappropriate for an interview and maybe even the office. I have one and the pants cut extremely narrow.

BunkMoreland

Bronze

Post by BunkMoreland » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:47 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:

Just go to JC Penney and buy a pair of Rockports. They are by far the most comfortable dress shoes I've worn in any price range.

eww.....

zettsscores40

Gold

Post by zettsscores40 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:51 pm

GodSpeed wrote:
zettsscores40 wrote:Gilt Groupe is having a Hugo Boss suit sale for anyone interested.
FYI: A lot of their stuff is probably inappropriate for an interview and maybe even the office. I have one and the pants cut extremely narrow.
Meh I still like them.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:23 pm

I picked up a pair of these at the begining of the summer on sale. I love them:

--ImageRemoved--

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”