OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Effingham

Bronze

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Effingham » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:00 pm

RareExports wrote:Any thoughts on glasses vs. contacts? I'm comfortable either way. My eyes are set in a little more than the average person's, so the glasses balance that some, but I don't want an interviewer thinking I'm too lazy to put in contacts.
I went back and forth on this for awhile because I thought my glasses made me look smarter. I ended up leaving my glasses in a different state on accident and I think it probably helped because I was more comfortable in contacts. Do whichever is most comfortable for you (and this applies to almost everything in this thread), your demeanor and eye contact in the interview will be more of a factor than whatever perceptions other people might have about glasses.

the-american-guy

New

Post by the-american-guy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:44 am

BVest wrote:
I concede I've never had to shop for shorter suits; I've been average my entire adult life (40R then 42R; 32-35 W; 31 inseam), so take this with a grain of salt, but I do a lot of shopping at the high-end outlets (Last Call, Rack, Off 5th, Barney's outlet). It's rare that I make a good find there because I'm so average. What they have a ton of -- in suits and prices that I envy -- are sizes for shorter folks or giant folks. Those places can take some time and can be frustrating, but when they pay off, it's amazing.

I prefer to go to the brick and mortar and spend a couple quiet hours looking and trying on, but they all have a good online presence now too. The other good thing about the online presence is that a lot of them used to be all-sales-final and had no competition because they didn't locate in the same places physically, but now they've gone to normal 90-day return policies, so you could pick up a few suits you think might work and talk to your tailor about which would be best before returning the others.
Thanks, I will definitely look into a few outlets. I have an outlet mall close to my home town, so I should have done that when I was home a few months ago, but I'm sure I can find one around here.

I think the height thing isn't so much of an issue as the overall size part. I can get pants tailored. But getting jackets tailored tends to be a little more difficult, at least according to the few tailors I have spoken to. But definitely thanks for the advice!

WinSome

New

Post by WinSome » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:13 am

Starting as a first year in a couple weeks and wanted to up my fashion game for when I start. By skimming this thread I found the general advice on suits and shoes, but I wanted some help with business casual attire. My firm is business casual and I plan on slacks, button up, and a tie. First, how many pairs of slacks and shirts should I get? Second, what's the general advice for brand of slacks? I am clueless about fashion and don't want to end up wearing what is perceived to be a cheap brand of pants. Particularly, should I just buy several extra pairs of the same slacks as the suit so that I can easily just put on my jacket if a full suit is necessary? Finally, what colors of shirts are generally appropriate? I tend to favor conservative blue and white shirts with minimal patterns, but now that I actually have a full-time job, I wouldn't mind being a little more adventurous regarding shirt color and pattern. I appreciate this thread and I am sure some of these questions are answered in it, but it is difficult to navigate through the entire thread and any advice on my situation would be welcome.

WinSome

New

Post by WinSome » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:15 am

Accidental anon. Above is me.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:31 am

I wouldnlose the tie and keep one at my desk with a jacket.. tie shirt w/o top looks funny

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WinSome

New

Post by WinSome » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:11 am

mvp99 wrote:I wouldnlose the tie and keep one at my desk with a jacket.. tie shirt w/o top looks funny
Thanks! I generally agree that no tie looks better without the suit jacket but like to play it safe. It's good to know that no tie is also okay and decreases my tie budget.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:46 am

Wearing a tie with no jacket is weird and should be avoided. You'll look like an IT guy or a clueless intern.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yose1970

New

Post by Yose1970 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:04 pm

I prefer you should choose dark navy colored suit with 2 button and palets.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:48 pm

I am looking for a recommendation for medium to dark grey over-the-calf dress socks. I love the Gold Toe Metropolitan socks and own pairs in black and blue, but they don't make them in grey. Any recommendations? Prefer somewhere between $5-15 per pair.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:20 pm

Bombas are the best fucking socks I've ever owned. They are not cheap though.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am looking for a recommendation for medium to dark grey over-the-calf dress socks. I love the Gold Toe Metropolitan socks and own pairs in black and blue, but they don't make them in grey. Any recommendations? Prefer somewhere between $5-15 per pair.
pantherella or bresciani stuff on sale

jumbocolumbo

Bronze

Post by jumbocolumbo » Wed May 09, 2018 9:36 am

Is the J-Crew Factory light charcoal suit too light? I'll be at a mid-size southern market this summer fwiw.
https://factory.jcrew.com/p/mens-clothi ... t-charcoal

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:58 pm

What's a good place to get relatively inexpensive made to measure suits? What's a good price range that I should expect to spend?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's a good place to get relatively inexpensive made to measure suits? What's a good price range that I should expect to spend?
Suitsupply has a MTM program (in some stores) that is pretty good for the price. Range, depending on fabric, from $1000-$1500. Places that you traditionally think of as MTM like Canali, Zegna, etc. are probably starting around $2500-$3k and can be much much more.

Places like Indochino are technically MTM (maybe even bespoke? I've never had one of their suits), but I believe they are of significantly lower quality than Suitsupply, and aren't much cheaper.

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Starting as a first year in a couple weeks and wanted to up my fashion game for when I start. By skimming this thread I found the general advice on suits and shoes, but I wanted some help with business casual attire. My firm is business casual and I plan on slacks, button up, and a tie. First, how many pairs of slacks and shirts should I get? Second, what's the general advice for brand of slacks? I am clueless about fashion and don't want to end up wearing what is perceived to be a cheap brand of pants. Particularly, should I just buy several extra pairs of the same slacks as the suit so that I can easily just put on my jacket if a full suit is necessary? Finally, what colors of shirts are generally appropriate? I tend to favor conservative blue and white shirts with minimal patterns, but now that I actually have a full-time job, I wouldn't mind being a little more adventurous regarding shirt color and pattern. I appreciate this thread and I am sure some of these questions are answered in it, but it is difficult to navigate through the entire thread and any advice on my situation would be welcome.
Go to Bonobos and buy a bunch of dress pants and dress shirts. Get the traveler dress shirts with a spread collar. Weekday warriors are solid pants, but you could also err on the dressier side with whatever their next more formal line is. FWIW, I wear weekday warriors every single day, except Friday when I wear jeans.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:56 pm

Don’t wear a tie with no jacket. What are you, an accountant?

Hopeful29clerk

New

Post by Hopeful29clerk » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:40 pm

https://ibb.co/xfC022X

https://imgur.com/JTJyM6V

Does anyone know what shoes these are by chance?
Last edited by QContinuum on Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thepsychedelic

Bronze

Post by thepsychedelic » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:Image

Taft boots

Hopeful29clerk

New

Post by Hopeful29clerk » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:16 pm

thepsychedelic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Image

Taft boots
Thanks!
Last edited by QContinuum on Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

notinbiglaw

Bronze

Post by notinbiglaw » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's a good place to get relatively inexpensive made to measure suits? What's a good price range that I should expect to spend?
Suitsupply has a MTM program (in some stores) that is pretty good for the price. Range, depending on fabric, from $1000-$1500. Places that you traditionally think of as MTM like Canali, Zegna, etc. are probably starting around $2500-$3k and can be much much more.

Places like Indochino are technically MTM (maybe even bespoke? I've never had one of their suits), but I believe they are of significantly lower quality than Suitsupply, and aren't much cheaper.
I disagree about Indochino. They have more quality control issues in the sense I always needed second or third fitting to get it right for both suits and shirts (sometimes with zero change in measurements) but the quality isn't much behind Suitsupply, if at all, in my experience once they get the sizing right. I think it's fine for virtually everyone, especially someone just starting out his formal wardrobe. I think both Suitsupply and Indochino are about off the rack Hugo Boss quality wise.

If you're going to dump 1k+ on a suit, I think Proper Cloth and HK tailors are both significantly better options than Suitsupply or 2k+ Canali/Zegna fare.

notinbiglaw

Bronze

Post by notinbiglaw » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:39 pm

JohnnieSockran wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Starting as a first year in a couple weeks and wanted to up my fashion game for when I start. By skimming this thread I found the general advice on suits and shoes, but I wanted some help with business casual attire. My firm is business casual and I plan on slacks, button up, and a tie. First, how many pairs of slacks and shirts should I get? Second, what's the general advice for brand of slacks? I am clueless about fashion and don't want to end up wearing what is perceived to be a cheap brand of pants. Particularly, should I just buy several extra pairs of the same slacks as the suit so that I can easily just put on my jacket if a full suit is necessary? Finally, what colors of shirts are generally appropriate? I tend to favor conservative blue and white shirts with minimal patterns, but now that I actually have a full-time job, I wouldn't mind being a little more adventurous regarding shirt color and pattern. I appreciate this thread and I am sure some of these questions are answered in it, but it is difficult to navigate through the entire thread and any advice on my situation would be welcome.
Go to Bonobos and buy a bunch of dress pants and dress shirts. Get the traveler dress shirts with a spread collar. Weekday warriors are solid pants, but you could also err on the dressier side with whatever their next more formal line is. FWIW, I wear weekday warriors every single day, except Friday when I wear jeans.
+1 Bonobos pants. I am cycling through two Bonobos jeans and 4 weekday warrior pants. Their shirts don't fit me so I had to resort to tailored shirts from Proper Cloth and Indochino. I keep a generic navy jacket and a non-descript tie at work for when I need to meet clients.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Bronze

Post by VulcanVulcanVulcan » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:23 pm

notinbiglaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I disagree about Indochino. They have more quality control issues in the sense I always needed second or third fitting to get it right for both suits and shirts (sometimes with zero change in measurements) but the quality isn't much behind Suitsupply, if at all, in my experience once they get the sizing right. I think it's fine for virtually everyone, especially someone just starting out his formal wardrobe. I think both Suitsupply and Indochino are about off the rack Hugo Boss quality wise.

If you're going to dump 1k+ on a suit, I think Proper Cloth and HK tailors are both significantly better options than Suitsupply or 2k+ Canali/Zegna fare.
I disagree strongly with this take. Proper Cloth is good, as are traveling tailors, but Suit Supply is great value for the price. It's significantly better quality than Hugo Boss: for example, Suit Supply is at least half-canvassed, Hugo Boss OTR is not. My suits from Suit Supply have held up much better than cheaper suits from elsewhere.

notinbiglaw

Bronze

Post by notinbiglaw » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:39 am

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote: I disagree strongly with this take. Proper Cloth is good, as are traveling tailors, but Suit Supply is great value for the price. It's significantly better quality than Hugo Boss: for example, Suit Supply is at least half-canvassed, Hugo Boss OTR is not. My suits from Suit Supply have held up much better than cheaper suits from elsewhere.
I must admit the last Hugo Boss suit I bought was over 10 years ago. After checking some out at Macy's last weekend, I am pretty sure the Boss OTR stuff is worse than they were 10 years ago and I must agree with you that Suit Supply is significantly better than Hugo Boss.

That said, I think with some back and forth, Indochino gets very close at least with the suit jackets at about half of the cost.

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:47 pm

VulcanVulcanVulcan wrote:
notinbiglaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I disagree strongly with this take. Proper Cloth is good, as are traveling tailors, but Suit Supply is great value for the price. It's significantly better quality than Hugo Boss: for example, Suit Supply is at least half-canvassed, Hugo Boss OTR is not. My suits from Suit Supply have held up much better than cheaper suits from elsewhere.
If you are lucky like me, suitsupply suits also fit off the rack exactly like a bespoke would. It's as if they used me as their model when designing the suit. This more is likely the case if you are trimmer build. Even in the slimmest cuts, places like Brooks Brothers assume you are carrying around an extra 30-50lbs, which makes their off the rack suits look baggy and sloppy without significant tailoring. I see little reason to spend twice as much for a MTM suit of similar quality.

My only issue is that suitsupply can come off as a bit over-trendy in some settings. Wouldn't want to wear it in front of a jury in most circumstances.

GavinMcG

New

Post by GavinMcG » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:33 am

Thread seemed to die in early 2020 for some reason, but I'm bumping it in the expectation that more in-person interviewing will be happening in 2022. Now is a decent time to be getting what you need for an in-person summer.

Also: I've been happy with my Proper Cloth made-to-measure shirts, and Lands End stuff is solid, tailorable, and frequently on sale.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”