OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nontradintexas

Bronze

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Post by nontradintexas » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Renzo wrote:
betasteve wrote:
Renzo wrote:
It seems like a bit much to me. No one dressed up for ASW and I don't think people usually dress up for campus visits. I feel like a polo shirt and decent shorts should be fine.
You shouldn't even go out to get the mail in a polo and shorts. But don't wear the suit either--at least not in it's entirety. It's not a job interview; go with the suit and no tie, or a tie and no jacket, even just a nice pressed shirt if you wear it well.
Clearly going to be debated, but I would never wear a tie with no jacket, unless I was in the office and within arms reach of a jacket. IMO, it is jacket w/o tie, jacket + tie, or no jacket and no tie.
I kind of agree, but the whole entire world is full of office drones wearing ties with no jacket, so it isn't abnormal.[/quote]

Proves the point, doesn't it? Trying to impress = not looking like an office drone. Just because it's "normal" doesn't mean it's a good idea for this situation.

grobbelski

Bronze

Post by grobbelski » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:19 pm

Thanks everyone. I think, as of now, it is going to be khakis, shirt and tie, and a sport coat. I may still end up going the other way with the tie. I think the khakis plus sports coat recognizes the formality of the event enough to take it seriously, while being less formal that the suit, which could cause some degree of uncomfortable-ness if everyone else is in jeans or so. I may also not wear the tie for class, then throw it on for the one on one meeting. It is a nice touch I think.

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:33 am

How do we feel about these?
--ImageRemoved--

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:37 am

amyLAchemist wrote:I like!
sweeeeeet

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:47 am

Black, just like the picture. I have a pair of brown shoes that are appropriate for bus-casual and since I don't have any suits that require brown shoes, that's all I need.

Looks like my square toed shoes with the thick rubber soles are finally going out of daily rotation. I think the triggering event was when one of my friends called them 'pilgrim shoes'.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:09 am

amyLAchemist wrote:
HenryKillinger wrote:Black, just like the picture. I have a pair of brown shoes that are appropriate for bus-casual and since I don't have any suits that require brown shoes, that's all I need.

Looks like my square toed shoes with the thick rubber soles are finally going out of daily rotation. I think the triggering event was when one of my friends called them 'pilgrim shoes'.
Meh, I like the ones you picked. Black is an essential, obvi. Also, not for an interview, but for life in general. Brown shoes (esp rust-colored brown) with a gray suit can look amazing.
That's how I feel about them but I don't have a gray suit to pair them with. I was thinking gray or light gray for my next suit purchase.

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:53 pm

HenryKillinger wrote:How do we feel about these?
--ImageRemoved--

Good all around shoe.

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:55 pm

I love white dress shirts. Looks great under every suit and with any tie (of course, match the suit and tie appropriately).

Also, medium to dark colored dress shirts with a suit suck. Light blue is as dark as I go now. Conservative ftw. Navy + white shirt + red tie = my favorite. Leave the bright colors for the kids.

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:41 pm

I just spend $200 on ties ($100 on a giftcard). I feel like I just got hard core ripped off, but fuck I like the ties.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:12 pm

GodSpeed wrote:I just spend $200 on ties ($100 on a giftcard). I feel like I just got hard core ripped off, but fuck I like the ties.
Depends on how many ties you got. Shop and Marshall's and you'll get like 30 ties for $200.

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:54 pm

HenryKillinger wrote:
GodSpeed wrote:I just spend $200 on ties ($100 on a giftcard). I feel like I just got hard core ripped off, but fuck I like the ties.
Depends on how many ties you got. Shop and Marshall's and you'll get like 30 ties for $200.
2 ties :oops:

And marshall's ties look like... well, they came from marshalls. At least go to the rack or something. They're only 20-40 there.

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:27 pm

GodSpeed wrote:
HenryKillinger wrote:

And marshall's ties look like... well, they came from marshalls. At least go to the rack or something. They're only 20-40 there.
My local Marshall's has Versace and Armani ties for $40 apiece. I almost bought a navy Armani with white pin-point pola-dots for $35 but didn't want to spend that much.

got pics of the ties you bought?

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:24 pm

GodSpeed wrote:
HenryKillinger wrote:

two ties? those better be some really good ties. I'm not an experienced buyer of professional clothes but it hurts me deep inside when i go to a store and can't find a tie that isn't hideous for less than 40 or 50 dollars. so, maybe 100 a tie is worth it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:00 pm

Nordstroms has Robert Talbot ties for $100 apiece that are fantastic.

Also, Armani ties are nice. My favorite is Brioni, though. They make the nicest ties on the planet.

lonerightly

New

Post by lonerightly » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:31 pm

kalvano wrote:Nordstroms has Robert Talbot ties for $100 apiece that are fantastic.

Also, Armani ties are nice. My favorite is Brioni, though. They make the nicest ties on the planet.
If you are paying $100 for a Talbott you are doing it all wrong. I have about three Talbott ties that I paid less than $25 each.

The only ties, in my opinion that are worth $100 are probably Hermes ties.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:35 pm

lonerightly wrote:
kalvano wrote:Nordstroms has Robert Talbot ties for $100 apiece that are fantastic.

If you are paying $100 for a Talbott you are doing it all wrong. I have about three Talbott ties that I paid less than $25 each.

I got them as gifts. Like I said, if I go buy a tie, I get Brioni.

lonerightly

New

Post by lonerightly » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:44 pm

kalvano wrote:
lonerightly wrote:

I got them as gifts. Like I said, if I go buy a tie, I get Brioni.
Yeah, Brioni is pretty nice, but msrp is ridiculous. I am actually pretty interested in what ties Godspeed bought for $100 each.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:52 pm

Thomas Pink has really good stuff. It's kind of hard to find on the cheap, but their quality is impeccable.

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:36 am

HenryKillinger wrote:
GodSpeed wrote:
HenryKillinger wrote:

My local Marshall's has Versace and Armani ties for $40 apiece. I almost bought a navy Armani with white pin-point pola-dots for $35 but didn't want to spend that much.

got pics of the ties you bought?
I'll snap some tomorrow. My camera phone sucks at getting colors right though.

I don't think I can shop at Marshalls. Last time my credit card was stolen, AMEX called me up after it was used at TJ Max or something like that. They bought $1000 worth of gift cards at places like Starbucks and it wasn't reason for concern. TJ Max? No fucking way.
twert wrote:
GodSpeed wrote:
HenryKillinger wrote:

two ties? those better be some really good ties. I'm not an experienced buyer of professional clothes but it hurts me deep inside when i go to a store and can't find a tie that isn't hideous for less than 40 or 50 dollars. so, maybe 100 a tie is worth it.
I have an Hermes tie as well, but I got that as a gift. I haven't worn it yet though. I refuse to wear a $2-300 tie to the criminal courthouse. It's bad enough when I have $400+ boots (which are actually cheap). I don't need to wear a tie that costs more than what half those people are worth and 2/3 commit felonies to earn.
Last edited by GodSpeed on Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:17 am

Hickey-Freeman and Joeseph Aboud have seved me pretty well.

But a friend popped for a Gieves & Hawkes. Sweet mother of God, that suit is beautiful.

Jockin Jay-Z

Bronze

Post by Jockin Jay-Z » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:27 am

I know the consensus is navy or charcoal, but I have a conservative-looking brown suit. Is that fine, or should I go and shell out for a navy/charcoal suit?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:33 am

Jockin Jay-Z wrote:I know the consensus is navy or charcoal, but I have a conservative-looking brown suit. Is that fine, or should I go and shell out for a navy/charcoal suit?
for what occasion?

Jockin Jay-Z

Bronze

Post by Jockin Jay-Z » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:36 am

Interviewing at law firms, for one.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:40 am

Jockin Jay-Z wrote:Interviewing at law firms, for one.
Charcoal or navy.

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:51 am

kalvano wrote:
Jockin Jay-Z wrote:Interviewing at law firms, for one.
Charcoal or navy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”