OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 29, 2012 10:35 am

Also interested in picking up a pair of AEs. How do they hold up with walking? I have to walk about one mile each way for my commute. Will this wear down the shoes, or is it appropriate? I don't want to have to pack my dress shoes and then wear walking shoes.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Tue May 29, 2012 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Also interested in picking up a pair of AEs. How do they hold up with walking? I have to walk about one mile each way for my commute. Will this wear down the shoes, or is it appropriate? I don't want to have to pack my dress shoes and then wear walking shoes.
did you just anonymous post about... shoes?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 29, 2012 10:39 am

franklyscarlet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also interested in picking up a pair of AEs. How do they hold up with walking? I have to walk about one mile each way for my commute. Will this wear down the shoes, or is it appropriate? I don't want to have to pack my dress shoes and then wear walking shoes.
did you just anonymous post about... shoes?
Believe it or not, what I said about my commute would out me to several people who go to my school.

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Tue May 29, 2012 2:51 pm

TTRansfer wrote:
traehekat wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:I finally ordered a pair of black Park Aves. I've been meaning to for ages, so it'll be great to finally get them.
a wise investment, sir. just polished mine up today, dey be lookin good.
I need one more paid of AEs and I'll be happy. What should I get? I have black Park Aves and dark brown Strands.
If you're looking for another dress style/color, I'd go burgundy McAllisters. Walnuts strands are AEs sexiest offering, but I can't find any SA appropriate outfits for them.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Tue May 29, 2012 11:26 pm

mrloblaw wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:
traehekat wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:I finally ordered a pair of black Park Aves. I've been meaning to for ages, so it'll be great to finally get them.
a wise investment, sir. just polished mine up today, dey be lookin good.
I need one more paid of AEs and I'll be happy. What should I get? I have black Park Aves and dark brown Strands.
If you're looking for another dress style/color, I'd go burgundy McAllisters. Walnuts strands are AEs sexiest offering, but I can't find any SA appropriate outfits for them.
That's why I went with dark brown. AMAZING with a navy suit. Even great on charcoal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Tue May 29, 2012 11:52 pm

TTRansfer wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:
That's why I went with dark brown. AMAZING with a navy suit. Even great on charcoal.
I almost did the same thing. Even had a pair of dark brown custom made from the factory . I ended up exchanging them for the walnut because they're just so damned awesome looking. Now I have awesome looking shoes that I can barely wear. I'll probably pick up a medium gray suit and some tan dress slacks at the BB sale to go with them in the future. Actually, I'm pretty much going for this look, although it's not at all OCI/courtroom wearable:

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Tue May 29, 2012 11:58 pm

Yeah, the walnut are just pure sex. Just not really easy to wear at the office...

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue May 29, 2012 11:59 pm

I'll endorse the Tie Bar for quality, cheap ties. Just got mine in today and am very happy with the purchase.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Wed May 30, 2012 3:49 am

TTRansfer wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:What's the TLS collective wisdom on Blank Label and the like?

If anyone has used these sites with success, what did you do to ensure accurate sizing?
I just ordered a BL shirt with sizes I got from a tailor earlier this month.
I'm curious to hear how that turns out. Was contemplating ordering some stuff from BL or Indichino, but skeptical that I'll get the measurements properly filled out.

A recent Slate article discusses other similar companies, one of which sends a tailor (fabric samples in hand) to your place of work or residence to take your measurements and place an order, but it is of course more expensive. That's some Gordon Gecko shit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Wed May 30, 2012 6:22 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:What's the TLS collective wisdom on Blank Label and the like?

If anyone has used these sites with success, what did you do to ensure accurate sizing?
I'm curious to hear how that turns out. Was contemplating ordering some stuff from BL or Indichino, but skeptical that I'll get the measurements properly filled out.

A recent Slate article discusses other similar companies, one of which sends a tailor (fabric samples in hand) to your place of work or residence to take your measurements and place an order, but it is of course more expensive. That's some Gordon Gecko shit.
I've heard some good stuff about BL and mediocre stuff about Indochino (hence why I went with them). I have a stupid shaped body, so tailoring would be a great option for me (and I would love to pay the BL prices instead of in-store prices).

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Wed May 30, 2012 6:24 pm

I just got my AE Park Ave's in today. I took a few photos of them next to the dark brown Strands for some real life comparison (hopefully it helps people if they are contemplating between either and on colors).

AE Black PE side view:

AE Brown Strand side view:

AE Black PE front view:

AE Brown Strand front view:

Both shoes together front view:

My feet are stupid large, so if these look like clown shoes then it's because they essentially are.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed May 30, 2012 8:47 pm

Those are awesome, well done.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 30, 2012 9:22 pm

TTRansfer wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:

I've heard some good stuff about BL and mediocre stuff about Indochino (hence why I went with them). I have a stupid shaped body, so tailoring would be a great option for me (and I would love to pay the BL prices instead of in-store prices).
indochino is pretty boss. ordered a custom made suit from them last month for like 240. fit is excellent. certainly on the more slim fitting side but i prefer that. quality is pretty good - 100% wool. could probably be better, but its just as good as anything ive seen in the 300-400 dollar range or anything ive seen in macys for that matter (going just by look and feel, not a suit expert so have no idea about stitching quality or whatever)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Wed May 30, 2012 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote: indochino is pretty boss. ordered a custom made suit from them last month for like 240. fit is excellent. certainly on the more slim fitting side but i prefer that. quality is pretty good - 100% wool. could probably be better, but its just as good as anything ive seen in the 300-400 dollar range or anything ive seen in macys for that matter (going just by look and feel, not a suit expert so have no idea about stitching quality or whatever)
Why Anon?

That is what I heard was not that great with the Indochino suits (the stitching).

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Wed May 30, 2012 9:52 pm

minnbills wrote:Those are awesome, well done.
Thanks a lot. The brown strands are my favorite shows out of anything that I have ever owned. Just gorgeous in real life.

I don't know if they would go well as a NYC SA at a stuffy firm, but where I am at? They go great out here. The brown is such a great color. I love the look of that dark brown. Gets a lot of compliments and looks.

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Wed May 30, 2012 9:56 pm

TTRansfer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: indochino is pretty boss. ordered a custom made suit from them last month for like 240. fit is excellent. certainly on the more slim fitting side but i prefer that. quality is pretty good - 100% wool. could probably be better, but its just as good as anything ive seen in the 300-400 dollar range or anything ive seen in macys for that matter (going just by look and feel, not a suit expert so have no idea about stitching quality or whatever)
Why Anon?

That is what I heard was not that great with the Indochino suits (the stitching).
it was me. yea even if the stitching sucks and the suit falls apart in a few years won't be a huge deal for that price. buying an 800 suit when you're not literally shitting money would just make you over paranoid and careful not to ruin it i feel like. even an 800 dollar suit you won't want to wear it for 10 years even if it lasts that long as you'll just get sick of it and want something new.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Wed May 30, 2012 9:59 pm

ruski wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:
Why Anon?

it was me. yea even if the stitching sucks and the suit falls apart in a few years won't be a huge deal for that price. buying an 800 suit when you're not literally shitting money would just make you over paranoid and careful not to ruin it i feel like. even an 800 dollar suit you won't want to wear it for 10 years even if it lasts that long as you'll just get sick of it and want something new.
Yeah, the suits are dirt cheap. Great price on them if you ask me. Sometimes you just need a half decent cheap suit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:24 am

Jos A Bank Signature suits are running $250 today and tomorrow. Looks like it's time to go pick up my LOLci outfit. /prints out pufer's post

Edit: Very pleased with my purchase. Came out to $230 somehow. Picked up a traveler's shirt, too. My wardrobe has finally caught up to my age.

One problem, however. I was able to pick up a pair of Park Aves on ebay for a hundred bucks about a month ago and they've been magnificent. However, they could definitely do well with being a bit...cleaned up. Do malls usually have shoe polish stores? Is there anything else I can do to get them looking brand new come August? I'll post a picture of them when I get home to give you guys a general idea.

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:55 pm

Just get some AE shoe polish for $10 or get them refinished by AE for about $50 if they are really bad.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:18 pm

I usually alternate between home polish and professional shoe shines. I do okay polishing, but I'm not that good at it. And I just love sitting in the chair reading a paper and getting em shined.

smittytron3k

Bronze

Post by smittytron3k » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:10 pm

I have 39.5 arms (no joke) so I buy my shirts exclusively from blanklabel. Have been very satisfied so far, highly recommend it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

drbarry987

Bronze

Post by drbarry987 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:13 am

Is this suit in navy or charcoal OK for OCI, provided it is tailored well? Or do I really need to buy a nicer suit? It's only $225- and I've never seen a Signature suit this cheap from JAB (unless you buy like 3 or w/e).

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Pr ... 050_316142

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:24 am

If there's a Nordstrom's in your area, take your shoes there and get them polished. They do all the bells and whistles and service is great. If money prohibits, or if you looking to get that feeling of pride every time you look at your shined shoes, shine them yourself.

Shining should happen a lot more often than you think. I shine mine every two weeks, though some sources suggest shining every week.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:33 am

Stanford4Me wrote:If there's a Nordstrom's in your area, take your shoes there and get them polished. They do all the bells and whistles and service is great. If money prohibits, or if you looking to get that feeling of pride every time you look at your shined shoes, shine them yourself.

Shining should happen a lot more often than you think. I shine mine every two weeks, though some sources suggest shining every week.
How much does Nordstrom's cost

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:52 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:If there's a Nordstrom's in your area, take your shoes there and get them polished. They do all the bells and whistles and service is great. If money prohibits, or if you looking to get that feeling of pride every time you look at your shined shoes, shine them yourself.

How much does Nordstrom's cost
I don't know why I said cost as though it's expensive. It's somewhere between $2.50 -$5.00 + whatever tip you give (I usually give about $3).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”