SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby 02082010 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:47 pm

Last edited by 02082010 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Core

Postby Core » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:23 pm

Anyone know (or care to speculate) if SEO would prefer Chicago over Penn? I see there are more Penn students participating in the program, but does that indicate SEO is more willing to offer Penn students a seat, or does it indicate less Chicago students are applying to SEO?

kinch

Postby kinch » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:06 pm

Rand M. wrote:
MissLucky wrote:
MissLucky wrote:so i got their email telling me to apply a couple days ago. am i at a significant disadvantage if i submit by like the last day possible (feb 15th)? how does this all work? also, did you guys put a lot of effort into the required essay for SEO Corporate Law (the only internship im eligible for)?

anyone?

No. You are not at a significant disadvantage. They don't make any decisions until they have received all applications and interviewed all candidates. After that the decision is largely based on the school you have put your seat deposit down at. If your interview goes well and you fax them your deposit to a T-14 then you are likely to get it.

The required essay is just required. I didn't spend too much time on it and wrote something fairly straight-forward. I have seen another poster say they wrote just a few sentences and got an interview.

You ARE at a disadvantage, though idk how much. The program uses rolling admissions.

jitsrenzo

Postby jitsrenzo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:41 pm

Last edited by jitsrenzo on Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:16 pm

kinch wrote:
Rand M. wrote:
MissLucky wrote:
MissLucky wrote:so i got their email telling me to apply a couple days ago. am i at a significant disadvantage if i submit by like the last day possible (feb 15th)? how does this all work? also, did you guys put a lot of effort into the required essay for SEO Corporate Law (the only internship im eligible for)?

anyone?

No. You are not at a significant disadvantage. They don't make any decisions until they have received all applications and interviewed all candidates. After that the decision is largely based on the school you have put your seat deposit down at. If your interview goes well and you fax them your deposit to a T-14 then you are likely to get it.

The required essay is just required. I didn't spend too much time on it and wrote something fairly straight-forward. I have seen another poster say they wrote just a few sentences and got an interview.

You ARE at a disadvantage, though idk how much. The program uses rolling admissions.

How can we call admissions truly rolling if no decisions are made before the deadline? Rolling decisions are made as they come in; SEO seems to make decisions as they are notified of intended school. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that it doesn't seem as if the OP would be at a disadvantage. They have three different deadlines and don't even start to interview candidates until after the first one. It does not seem to be nearly as front-loaded a process as LS admissions. Decisions are not all released at the same time, but that seems to have more to do with when you notify them rather than when you sent in your application.

kinch

Postby kinch » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:29 pm

Rand M. wrote:How can we call admissions truly rolling if no decisions are made before the deadline? Rolling decisions are made as they come in; SEO seems to make decisions as they are notified of intended school. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that it doesn't seem as if the OP would be at a disadvantage. They have three different deadlines and don't even start to interview candidates until after the first one. It does not seem to be nearly as front-loaded a process as LS admissions. Decisions are not all released at the same time, but that seems to have more to do with when you notify them rather than when you sent in your application.

Hmm true, when you notify them is probably more important. Though I still imagine that people applying now vs. those who met the first deadline are at a disadvantage, but like I said, I don't know how much of a disadvantage.

FWIW, I've had an interview already. The woman flat out said it's rolling.

BlankC

Postby BlankC » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:56 pm

kinch wrote:
Rand M. wrote:How can we call admissions truly rolling if no decisions are made before the deadline? Rolling decisions are made as they come in; SEO seems to make decisions as they are notified of intended school. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that it doesn't seem as if the OP would be at a disadvantage. They have three different deadlines and don't even start to interview candidates until after the first one. It does not seem to be nearly as front-loaded a process as LS admissions. Decisions are not all released at the same time, but that seems to have more to do with when you notify them rather than when you sent in your application.

Hmm true, when you notify them is probably more important. Though I still imagine that people applying now vs. those who met the first deadline are at a disadvantage, but like I said, I don't know how much of a disadvantage.

FWIW, I've had an interview already. The woman flat out said it's rolling.

Since they don't seem to make their in-person interviews particularly exclusive despite needing an invitation, I imagine the biggest disadvantage you'd suffer would be the SOL you'd get if they simply filled all their interview slots before your app got there. Maybe if they have more apps than slots, they make more slots, but as of recent, there weren't many slots for interviews left open in the Northeast.

coollegemex

Postby coollegemex » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:53 pm

Interviewed recently - I'll be in limbo for a while since I don't even visit most schools until April let alone make a final decision on where I'll be a student.

devilishangelrjp

Postby devilishangelrjp » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:55 pm

coollegemex wrote:Interviewed recently - I'll be in limbo for a while since I don't even visit most schools until April let alone make a final decision on where I'll be a student.

How did you think it went? I've been doing some intensive interview prep...is it as scary as I think it is?

groundkontrol

Postby groundkontrol » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:27 pm

Applied to SEO in December. I still haven't heard anything about an interview. I jut got into Penn yesterday. Should I let them know asap?

meowmeow

Postby meowmeow » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:28 pm

groundkontrol wrote:Applied to SEO in December. I still haven't heard anything about an interview. I jut got into Penn yesterday. Should I let them know asap?

It wouldn't hurt

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:32 pm

groundkontrol wrote:Applied to SEO in December. I still haven't heard anything about an interview. I jut got into Penn yesterday. Should I let them know asap?

Just update your online profile is what I would do.

misslawyer2013

Postby misslawyer2013 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:32 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:Still no interview request even though I have the 2nd highest LSAT score of all the people I know who applied :roll:

I think they may have a 3.0 GPA minimum.
I mean a high LSAT is fantastic but sometimes people put more weight on GPA :?

BlankC

Postby BlankC » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:50 pm

misslawyer2013 wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Still no interview request even though I have the 2nd highest LSAT score of all the people I know who applied :roll:

I think they may have a 3.0 GPA minimum.
I mean a high LSAT is fantastic but sometimes people put more weight on GPA :?

Yeah, their site does say 3.0 GPA minimum. I don't know if they ever make exceptions, or if there's even a higher GPA where they usually cut off and the 3.0 is a marker under which they won't even consider you.

My GPA is not under 3.0, but is definitely not on par with the fantastic GPAs you see in most applicants at T14. We'll see how my process goes, I guess.

groundkontrol

Postby groundkontrol » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:05 pm

Can some past SEO alums comment on what a typical day is like as an SEO summer intern? What type of working are you actually doing?

Laina

Postby Laina » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:08 pm

For those of you who received interview requests, did you fax your acceptance letters before or after this request? I haven't yet, and I'm wondering if that's holding up my application at all.

devilishangelrjp

Postby devilishangelrjp » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:10 pm

Laina wrote:For those of you who received interview requests, did you fax your acceptance letters before or after this request? I haven't yet, and I'm wondering if that's holding up my application at all.

I haven't faxed any yet.

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:11 pm

Laina wrote:For those of you who received interview requests, did you fax your acceptance letters before or after this request? I haven't yet, and I'm wondering if that's holding up my application at all.

I received an interview request before any acceptances came in so definitely not necessary. May help however. Unsure of how much if at all.

BlankC

Postby BlankC » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:45 pm

Nope, I hadn't even sent out my applications for law schools when I sent my SEO application, and I got my interview invitation. I think all you need to have in for the interview is the preliminary application.

It WILL hold up a final decision though. You have to fax letters before they will tell you 'yes' or 'no' on the internship.

zarathustra

Postby zarathustra » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:12 am

How important is the SAT score, if any one knows? Do corporate law applicants even have to fill that part out? I don't remember the distribution of my score accurately and am contempleting leaving it out altogether. Your thoughts?

coollegemex

Postby coollegemex » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:44 pm

zarathustra wrote:How important is the SAT score, if any one knows? Do corporate law applicants even have to fill that part out? I don't remember the distribution of my score accurately and am contempleting leaving it out altogether. Your thoughts?

I ignored it. Got the interview still lol

booboo

Postby booboo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:46 pm

coollegemex wrote:
zarathustra wrote:How important is the SAT score, if any one knows? Do corporate law applicants even have to fill that part out? I don't remember the distribution of my score accurately and am contempleting leaving it out altogether. Your thoughts?

I ignored it. Got the interview still lol

With what you have accomplished this cycle, you can almost do the same to the interview, lol.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:46 pm

so, how long after the interview request did you find out exactly where you were interviewing. Not the city but where in the city.

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:51 pm

Doritos wrote:so, how long after the interview request did you find out exactly where you were interviewing. Not the city but where in the city.

you sign up as soon as you have an interview request (they take you to this site). Doritos... did you get an interview yet?

BTW: Anyone have their interviews this week?

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:55 pm

avacado111 wrote:
Doritos wrote:so, how long after the interview request did you find out exactly where you were interviewing. Not the city but where in the city.

you sign up as soon as you have an interview request (they take you to this site). Doritos... did you get an interview yet?

BTW: Anyone have their interviews this week?

Oh man thanks I had the interview city set but didn't see where the address was...I got it now. Yeah I got an interview in a large metropolitan area in the coming weeks...I'll get more specific when its done :wink:

Return to “Legal Employment”