SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Rand M.

Silver

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by Rand M. » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:08 pm

Sakura3210 wrote:Hey guys, how long after app submission does it usually take to get an interview offer?
For me it was 4-6 days.

Sakura3210

Bronze

Post by Sakura3210 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:21 pm

BlankC wrote: From having read some of the thread and stuff elsewhere, people seem to be saying as early as a few days/a week to pretty much final admissions decisions for telephone interview. I'm guessing they do something like an invisible waitlist and just keep people waiting if they don't know if they want them yet, but I don't know.
Rand M. wrote: For me it was 4-6 days.
Cool, thanks guys.

BlankC

New

Post by BlankC » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:26 pm

Yeah, thanks Rand. :D

A bit off topic, but are there other programs like SEO, for undergrads on their way to law school? I poked around a bit and it seems most things are only for current law school students.

EDIT: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... hilit=+SEO Sharing is caring.
Last edited by BlankC on Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jitsrenzo

Bronze

Post by jitsrenzo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:31 pm

Interview...I can haz?

kinch

Bronze

Post by kinch » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:40 pm

Rand M. wrote:
Sakura3210 wrote:Hey guys, how long after app submission does it usually take to get an interview offer?
For me it was 4-6 days.
Have you done SEO in the past, or have you received an offer for this summer?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ogman05

Bronze

Post by ogman05 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:03 pm

BlankC wrote:Yeah, thanks Rand. :D

A bit off topic, but are there other programs like SEO, for undergrads on their way to law school? I poked around a bit and it seems most things are only for current law school students.
seo is also for undergrad just not the corporate law section. I imagine if you are an alumnus when it come to the corporate law program time and you did well it will only serve for a boost in your chances.

BlankC

New

Post by BlankC » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:04 am

Sakura3210 wrote:
BlankC wrote: From having read some of the thread and stuff elsewhere, people seem to be saying as early as a few days/a week to pretty much final admissions decisions for telephone interview. I'm guessing they do something like an invisible waitlist and just keep people waiting if they don't know if they want them yet, but I don't know.
Rand M. wrote: For me it was 4-6 days.
Cool, thanks guys.
Okay, so I sent my app in on January (20 something) and got an in-person interview invitation email recently.

6 days.

Off to watch the webinar stuff.

Apparently I read wrong about telephone interviews, because the email they sent me said they don't do telephone interviews for the Corporate Law program. My bad, sorry.

jitsrenzo

Bronze

Post by jitsrenzo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:39 pm

Is it true that EVERYONE who applies gets an interview? It sure seems that way.

BlankC

New

Post by BlankC » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:44 pm

jitsrenzo wrote:Is it true that EVERYONE who applies gets an interview? It sure seems that way.
It does seem that way. I was really surprised considering my numbers. I guess since they don't cover travel or anything, it doesn't cost them very much to interview whoever.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:50 pm

so i got their email telling me to apply a couple days ago. am i at a significant disadvantage if i submit by like the last day possible (feb 15th)? how does this all work? also, did you guys put a lot of effort into the required essay for SEO Corporate Law (the only internship im eligible for)?

kinch

Bronze

Post by kinch » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:50 pm

jitsrenzo wrote:Is it true that EVERYONE who applies gets an interview? It sure seems that way.
I don't think so. There have been some people here who haven't heard back yet.

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:51 pm

kinch wrote:
I don't think so. There have been some people here who haven't heard back yet.
anyone know the stats.
How many peeps interviewed and actually got accepted?

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:59 pm

MissLucky wrote:so i got their email telling me to apply a couple days ago. am i at a significant disadvantage if i submit by like the last day possible (feb 15th)? how does this all work? also, did you guys put a lot of effort into the required essay for SEO Corporate Law (the only internship im eligible for)?
anyone?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:01 pm

kinch wrote:
Rand M. wrote:
For me it was 4-6 days.
Have you done SEO in the past, or have you received an offer for this summer?
This is for this summer. I haven't had my interview yet.

With regards to everyone getting an interview, I really highly doubt this is true. You must remember that TLS is a highly self-selecting group. We are probably some of the more motivated and well put together SEO applicants.

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:10 pm

MissLucky wrote:
MissLucky wrote:so i got their email telling me to apply a couple days ago. am i at a significant disadvantage if i submit by like the last day possible (feb 15th)? how does this all work? also, did you guys put a lot of effort into the required essay for SEO Corporate Law (the only internship im eligible for)?
anyone?
No. You are not at a significant disadvantage. They don't make any decisions until they have received all applications and interviewed all candidates. After that the decision is largely based on the school you have put your seat deposit down at. If your interview goes well and you fax them your deposit to a T-14 then you are likely to get it.

The required essay is just required. I didn't spend too much time on it and wrote something fairly straight-forward. I have seen another poster say they wrote just a few sentences and got an interview.

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:14 pm

Rand M. wrote:
MissLucky wrote:
anyone?
No. You are not at a significant disadvantage. They don't make any decisions until they have received all applications and interviewed all candidates. After that the decision is largely based on the school you have put your seat deposit down at. If your interview goes well and you fax them your deposit to a T-14 then you are likely to get it.

The required essay is just required. I didn't spend too much time on it and wrote something fairly straight-forward. I have seen another poster say they wrote just a few sentences and got an interview.
oh damnit! i thought getting the internship would help me get off a waitlist to a T-14 but now that you said they have a keen eye on the school to which you've put down a seat deposit it seems like the process won't necessarily work out the way i envisioned...i didn't think they would have any idea of law skls to which i was deciding on...hmm..thanks!

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:24 pm

MissLucky wrote:
Rand M. wrote:
MissLucky wrote:
anyone?

oh damnit! i thought getting the internship would help me get off a waitlist to a T-14 but now that you said they have a keen eye on the school to which you've put down a seat deposit it seems like the process won't necessarily work out the way i envisioned...i didn't think they would have any idea of law skls to which i was deciding on...hmm..thanks!
The last page of the application asks you for the schools you have applied to and the status of your application with them. And after the interview they won't make a decision on you application until you prove to them you have committed to a school. Understandable since they don't want to waste a spot on someone who ends up not going to law school, and they want to be able to tell the firms that they are sending them people from xyz schools (the higher the better).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:47 pm

Rand M. wrote:
Rand M. wrote:
MissLucky wrote:
anyone?

The last page of the application asks you for the schools you have applied to and the status of your application with them. And after the interview they won't make a decision on you application until you prove to them you have committed to a school. Understandable since they don't want to waste a spot on someone who ends up not going to law school, and they want to be able to tell the firms that they are sending them people from xyz schools (the higher the better).[/quote]

hmm interesting...thanks a lot - do they typically ONLY take t-14 kids?

ogman05

Bronze

Post by ogman05 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:54 pm

This is known to be extremely preferred but not completely necessary. Read through thread. Its like the amount of people who get scotus and make partner at v20 firms. Most are t14 but not exclusively. And preference for HYS

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:55 pm

ogman05 wrote:This is known to be extremely preferred but not completely necessary. Read through thread. Its like the amount of people who get scotus and make partner at v20 firms. Most are t14 but not exclusively. And preference for HYS
what an intense program. never knew. how did everyone else find this out? is there some sort of chart ..wow

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:43 pm

These are the only numbers I have ever seen and they have been floating around here with regards to last year's interns:

Columbia 10
Harvard 9
Stanford 5
Upenn 5
Yale 4
NYU 4
UVA 4
Berkeley 2
Michigan 2
UCLA 1
USC 1
Chicago 1
Cornell 1
Duke 1
Georgetown 1

Once you start adjusting for class size and some of the things that we know are true about certain schools, you see that there is a definite preference for the top schools (only two coming from outside the t14) and a slight NYC bias (Columbia's dominance and UPenn and NYU's strong showings).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:47 pm

Last edited by 02082010 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:23 pm

Anyone know (or care to speculate) if SEO would prefer Chicago over Penn? I see there are more Penn students participating in the program, but does that indicate SEO is more willing to offer Penn students a seat, or does it indicate less Chicago students are applying to SEO?

kinch

Bronze

Post by kinch » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:06 pm

Rand M. wrote:
MissLucky wrote:
anyone?

You ARE at a disadvantage, though idk how much. The program uses rolling admissions.

jitsrenzo

Bronze

Post by jitsrenzo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:41 pm

Last edited by jitsrenzo on Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”