SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kurama20

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby kurama20 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:07 pm

SolarWind wrote:
kurama20 wrote:
georgina wrote:i looked at the website and perhaps completely missed the answer to my question, but for this program, is there any stipend, pay, or grant money?

thanks.

Yeah you get at least $1000 a week.

Yep i think its like $1000-1500 or so but you have to pay lodging/food/ etc. so probably subtract $500 off for COL

Or more...sigh the woes of NYC COL...

kinch

Postby kinch » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:27 am

I just submitted mine, and in the confirmation email, it says they want us to fax our acceptance letters? Does this mean they want to see all of our acceptances as they're considering us? I thought it was only until we're accepted that they want to see the acceptance letter.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:28 am

kinch wrote:I just submitted mine, and in the confirmation email, it says they want us to fax our acceptance letters? Does this mean they want to see all of our acceptances as they're considering us? I thought it was only until we're accepted that they want to see the acceptance letter.

I think they pretty much ONLY take people who are going to upper crust law schools.

kinch

Postby kinch » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:25 am

shadowfrost000 wrote:
kinch wrote:I just submitted mine, and in the confirmation email, it says they want us to fax our acceptance letters? Does this mean they want to see all of our acceptances as they're considering us? I thought it was only until we're accepted that they want to see the acceptance letter.

I think they pretty much ONLY take people who are going to upper crust law schools.

Sooooo I should fax them the letters soon? The highest school I've been accepted to so far is Duke.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:32 am

kinch wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:

Sooooo I should fax them the letters soon? The highest school I've been accepted to so far is Duke.

Nah u just update the website with new acceptances. They only need the acceptance letters upon request to interview I think.

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:17 pm

SolarWind wrote:
kinch wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:

Nah u just update the website with new acceptances. They only need the acceptance letters upon request to interview I think.

I interviewed with them last year and didn't have an acceptance letter to fax them. If I were you however, I would BOTH update the website and fax them the letter. The faxed letter acts as verification, and helps them feel more comfortable about inviting you for an interview. So, though not faxing them the letter (or updating the website in my case) won't preclude you from getting an interview, I wouldn't hold off on doing those two things. Good luck!

march319

Postby march319 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:56 pm

SolarWind wrote:
kinch wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:

I submitted my application today (last day for this deadline). I also submitted my law school applications last month so I don't expect to hear about any acceptances/rejections until probably February. Do they grant interview without knowing where you've been accepted?

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:37 am

I submitted my application today (last day for this deadline). I also submitted my law school applications last month so I don't expect to hear about any acceptances/rejections until probably February. Do they grant interview without knowing where you've been accepted?

Yes. I got an interview without an acceptance. However, if you don't have an acceptance by the time they make decisions, your dead in the water. :lol: Not that I was surprised or anything.

march319

Postby march319 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:49 am

cougarlive wrote:

Yes. I got an interview without an acceptance. However, if you don't have an acceptance by the time they make decisions, your dead in the water. :lol: Not that I was surprised or anything.

Good to know. And when do they make decisions?

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:51 am

march319 wrote:
cougarlive wrote:

Good to know. And when do they make decisions?

I think the final decisions go out around April. They want you ready to leave by late May. Though, acceptances and rejections start going out earlier than April. Good luck.

anmo

Postby anmo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:00 am

Just submitted! So I decided to write the essay #1 in word and then paste it over to the box in the form. I guess I just read to quickly because I thought the essay was limited to 2000 words, not characters. Needless to say I was :shock: and :x when I saw that I was about 1800 characters over the limit... heh... whoops. So after some quick editing I submitted with 8 minutes and 16 characters to spare.

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:32 pm

Anybody heard from these guys about an interview?

march319

Postby march319 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:38 pm

Dtackpat75 wrote:Anybody heard from these guys about an interview?

Highly doubtful. The first application deadline was three days ago and they said they read all the applications in a batch.

Core

Postby Core » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:14 am

I submitted on the 13th, but have not heard back about any interviews either.
Last edited by Core on Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:19 pm

FWIW everyone they really have a preference for the schools that feed heavily (excluding Cornell) into NYC and Stanford.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:02 pm

kurama20 wrote:FWIW everyone they really have a preference for the schools that feed heavily (excluding Cornell) into NYC and Stanford.

Translation: They prefer Yale.. then Harvard... then Stanford... then Columbia.... (wait, where have I seen this before?)

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:04 pm

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sat May 02, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:06 pm

SolarWind wrote:
kurama20 wrote:FWIW everyone they really have a preference for the schools that feed heavily (excluding Cornell) into NYC and Stanford.

Translation: They prefer Yale.. then Harvard... then Stanford... then Columbia.... (wait, where have I seen this before?)

Someone had a list of the schools their past participants attended...

EDIT: Found it, 2009's class:

Columbia 10
Harvard 9
Stanford 5
Upenn 5
Yale 4
NYU 4
UVA 4
Berkeley 2
Michigan 2
UCLA 1
USC 1
Chicago 1
Cornell 1
Duke 1
Georgetown 1

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:10 pm

SolarWind wrote:

Not exactly, they prefer Penn to Boalt, and Boalt is "higher" in US News (using quotes because even though Boalt is higher than Penn in US News firms see them as the same). A lot of it has to do with the fact that the firms they partner with are mostly NYC firms. Penn heavily feeds into NYC biglaw, actually they had more students from Penn last year than they did from Yale and NYU. Even more interesting is that they had the same number of UVA kids last year as NYU ones, which is interesting considering the NYC bias (not to mention the fact that NYU is a much bigger school). I'm sure self selection is a factor as well.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:28 pm

kurama20 wrote:
SolarWind wrote:

Not exactly, they prefer Penn to Boalt, and Boalt is "higher" in US News (using quotes because even though Boalt is higher than Penn in US News firms see them as the same). A lot of it has to do with the fact that the firms they partner with are mostly NYC firms. Penn heavily feeds into NYC biglaw, actually they had more students from Penn last year than they did from Yale and NYU. Even more interesting is that they had the same number of UVA kids last year as NYU ones, which is interesting considering the NYC bias (not to mention the fact that NYU is a much bigger school). I'm sure self selection is a factor as well.

Actually i think there isn't enough variance to state that they don't just go by US News rankings in preference. Of course, there are lots of other factors (like obviously actual candidates and how they interview). Its just that the sample size is very small, and further there probably are a lot more UPenn types who will choose to do the program. If you're at Berkeley (traditionally more West Coast applicants there), it will be difficult to interview and they only offer the internship in DC and NY.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:36 pm

SolarWind wrote:Actually i think there isn't enough variance to state that they don't just go by US News rankings in preference. Of course, there are lots of other factors (like obviously actual candidates and how they interview). Its just that the sample size is very small, and further there probably are a lot more UPenn types who will choose to do the program. If you're at Berkeley (traditionally more West Coast applicants there), it will be difficult to interview and they only offer the internship in DC and NY.

I partially agree with you. But I doubt they go with US News over actual lawyer/legal prestige. They know for example that NYU isn't seen as better than Chicago and that Penn isn't viewed as being above Michigan and UVA. A lot of it has to do with the fact that essentially all the firms are NYC based/focused. I wish they had representation from the elite DC and Cali firms.

TheSharklord

Postby TheSharklord » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:40 am

kurama20 wrote:Or more...sigh the woes of NYC COL...

Applied 1st to the DC side of the program. Since I live in the suburbs, and my dad's office is literally up the hill from one of the nearby metro stations I fully intend, if accepted, to FREELOAD THE HECK out of my parents for one more summer =)

shadowfrost000 wrote:Someone had a list of the schools their past participants attended...

EDIT: Found it, 2009's class:

Columbia 10
Harvard 9
Stanford 5
Upenn 5
Yale 4
NYU 4
UVA 4
Berkeley 2
Michigan 2
UCLA 1
USC 1
Chicago 1
Cornell 1
Duke 1
Georgetown 1

In at GULC...but it'd be nice to be in at Penn, and glean the benefits of prestige points with SEO.

jacosta6

Postby jacosta6 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:07 pm

Are all acceptances sent out in April? I was just accepted at NYU ED so I already know where I will be attending. From what I've read, choosing a school is what holds up almost all applications. I was wondering if anyone has heard of ED applicants getting admitted earlier to SEO since they have already chosen a school.

I wanted to make arrangements as early as possible, and was hoping to know earlier than late April whether or not I have to leave my job by Memorial Day.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:16 pm

Anyone have a definitive answer about updating the application?

I erased all my pending school apps from my SEO apps and only left the school I got into and updated. Does this update their records? I believe there is a note saying you should fax acceptance letters to them upon reception... but I can't check atm. Anyone know what the protocol is for this?

iminlstrick

Postby iminlstrick » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:50 pm

Anyone hear about interviews yet?

Return to “Legal Employment”