SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Sinra

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Sinra » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:54 am

Last edited by Sinra on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unbeknownst

Postby unbeknownst » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:39 pm

jm19 wrote:So it has been a while, but I'm going to try resurrecting this thread because I can see all of you lurking. :D

I'm planning on having my application in for the November 1 deadline. Does anyone know when they begin interviewing? From what I've seen reading through this and related threads, the interviews seem to happen (or at least begin) in late-ish January. Has anyone had an earlier interview date?

Wow, I had no idea this was such a huge thing. I got an email sometime last week that encouraged me to apply. It sounded interesting so I applied. Another waiting game for me to play.

jaen78

Postby jaen78 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:26 pm

If anyone has any questions about what the program is like, feel free to post or PM me. I'm an alum from last summer and had an amazing experience. Happy to share any insight I can.

jaen78

Postby jaen78 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:30 pm

If i were to guess, assuming you're in at a T16ish school, it's 50% the school you get into and 30% interview and 20% if you're the kind of URM they want (not Asian in other words).[/quote]

Not true. We had several Asian and Middle Eastern students last year. The races/ethnicities of the interns really ran the gamut.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:14 pm

I only said 20% and I believe race does matter. Even if they have the same amount of each race, there are surely fluctuations between who applies and who doesn't. I'm not saying being Asian precludes you, but I think it makes it a bit harder.

squirtle

Postby squirtle » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:04 am

Anyone hear back for an interview yet?

APimpNamedSlickback

x

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:04 am

x
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:21 am

talibkweli wrote:I'm an seo alum (did the investment banking career program and interned at, of all places, lehman brothers). do you think that'll have any bearing on my corporate law application?

I think that it will only help. They interviewed and accepted you before, which is already proof that you have what they are looking for. I hear they refer back to your old internships progress reports/reviews. Unless you did not do well on those, I think you should be in good shape.

Foozle

Postby Foozle » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:23 pm

Sent in my SEO application recently.

According to --LinkRemoved--, there are two rounds for the Corporate Law program. The first deadline is December 15, the second is Feb 15.

Good luck all, I'm sure I'll be on this thread a lot.

BananaHammock

Postby BananaHammock » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:18 pm

Throw in my two cents having completed the program. First of all, if you're hesitating at all, stop. Skip to (8) for the best advice.

(1) The program actually opens a lot of doors for you and depending on what firm you end up at you have a decent shot at landing a 1L job. For those of you who for some reason think that's easily accomplished -- You're kidding yourself.

(2) Beyond that you get a two week prep course which shockingly is very helpful. Some of the concepts I understand the most in Law School are those that I learned during the prep course.

(3) You get to spend a summer partying in New York while getting paid the summer before law school. Of course you have to get work done, but for those who have never spent a considerable amount of time in NYC, it is quite the experience.

(4) Some of my closest friends in law schools came out of SEO. I like friends, and so should you.

(5) The application process is absolutely annoying. There are long periods that they go unresponsive or are difficult to contact. You have to pay to fly out to an interview and until they actually accept you, the whole process is very impersonal.

(6) Race does matter. I ran the numbers. ~40% Black, ~30% Hispanic, ~15% Asian, ~15% Other. See --LinkRemoved-- for statistics on LSAT plus race.

(7) Average LSAT is around 164-165. Over half of the students are going to HYSC. With ~40% at HC.

(8) Some have said not to have a resume full of public interest. This is misguided and the notion has developed because of some comments made last cycle by students who were rejected. Simply put, you HAVE to establish your public interest, more specifically philanthropy. In other words, somehow show that the opportunity they give you isn't at all about you. Your goal is to help other people, whether it's by giving financially, passing on assistance, or whatever. Of course if you walk in and say you want to work in public interest after law school, you're going to be rejected but if you're dumb enough to say that then you shouldn't bother applying. They're placing you in a law firm... Why would they place someone who wants to do public interest work in the New York Big Law firm...? That's just wasting everyone's time.

Best to 2010 applicants.

Sinra

Postby Sinra » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:10 pm

Last edited by Sinra on Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BananaHammock

Postby BananaHammock » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:18 pm

I didn't apply until January, so I imagine not.

APimpNamedSlickback

x

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:37 pm

x
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

march319

Postby march319 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:36 pm

Legitimate question: How can law firms (and SEO) offer summer associate positions to 0Ls when many 2L/3Ls can't land jobs at these firms and are deferred start dates? Am I missing something here?

Also, if you land a summer associate position at one of these firms through SEO are you likely to get another offer for the summer after that if you do well?

Foozle

Postby Foozle » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:41 pm

march319 wrote:Legitimate question: How can law firms (and SEO) offer summer associate positions to 0Ls when many 2L/3Ls can't land jobs at these firms and are deferred start dates? Am I missing something here?

Also, if you land a summer associate position at one of these firms through SEO are you likely to get another offer for the summer after that if you do well?

Because you're not a summer associate through SEO.

march319

Postby march319 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:23 pm

Foozle wrote:
march319 wrote:Legitimate question: How can law firms (and SEO) offer summer associate positions to 0Ls when many 2L/3Ls can't land jobs at these firms and are deferred start dates? Am I missing something here?

So then what are you? I was under the impression that you make as much money as a SA.

Foozle

Postby Foozle » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:46 pm

march319 wrote:
Foozle wrote:

So then what are you? I was under the impression that you make as much money as a SA.

Haha, no.

You make I think between 750-1300 a week. Summer associates make more than that.

SEO participants are interns.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:50 pm

Foozle wrote:Haha, no.

You make I think between 750-1300 a week. Summer associates make more than that.

An SEO recruiter told me that this year it will be $1100-$1800 a week for corporate law interns. I wonder what you actually do when you are at the firms?

Foozle

Postby Foozle » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:55 pm

kurama20 wrote:
Foozle wrote:Haha, no.

An SEO recruiter told me that this year it will be $1100-$1800 a week for corporate law interns. I wonder what you actually do when you are at the firms?

WOW :shock:

The brochure they sent me said 750-1300. That other number would just be...awesome for a 0L.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:58 pm

Foozle wrote:WOW :shock:

The brochure they sent me said 750-1300. That other number would just be...awesome for a 0L.

Yeah you should have seen the look on people's faces when we were in the room for the presentation! All of the Ibanking and GCFL applicants started saying "Maybe we should look into this law thing after all" One caveat though---I talked to a seo alum and he told me that they tax the hell out of you. He said that his pay rate was $1100 a week but her only got about $1750 every two weeks because of the taxes!

Foozle

Postby Foozle » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:23 am

kurama20 wrote:

Yeah you should have seen the look on people's faces when we were in the room for the presentation! All of the Ibanking and GCFL applicants started saying "Maybe we should look into this law thing after all" One caveat though---I talked to a seo alum and he told me that they tax the hell out of you. He said that his pay rate was $1100 a week but her only got about $1750 every two weeks because of the taxes!

Still...~900/week after taxes would be great for saving up for some spending money.

Beats my 13.50/hour part time undergrad job.

TheSharklord

Postby TheSharklord » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:55 am

Foozle wrote:
kurama20 wrote:

Still...~900/week after taxes would be great for saving up for some spending money.

Beats my 13.50/hour part time undergrad job.

You're telling me.

Here's to everyone securing a T14 admission and not dithering through the interview! Found this original email in my spam box, glad I did.

Foozle

Postby Foozle » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:25 pm

Damn it.

They're coming to my school to conduct an info session. I don't want other people knowing about this!

jm19

Postby jm19 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:01 pm

Foozle wrote:Damn it.

They're coming to my school to conduct an info session. I don't want other people knowing about this!

They were supposed to come to mine.. Then the recruiter caught the flu. I had a phone session with her, though, and she was very nice and informative.

TheSharklord

Postby TheSharklord » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:59 pm

Just submitted my app for this...has anyone done the interview this year? Any comments?

Yet another thing to twiddle my thumbs over whilst waiting for responses from law schools...

Return to “Legal Employment”