SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
legends159

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby legends159 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:52 pm

makes sense. I'm just wondering if there is a quota whether or not it's set lower for Asians?

jaen78

Postby jaen78 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:52 pm

legends159 wrote:makes sense. I'm just wondering if there is a quota whether or not it's set lower for Asians?

That would make sense. They're not considered URM in terms of LS admissions. In fact, I think they're overrepresented, aren't they? If that's the case, fewer Asians are probably experiencing the type of disadvantage SEO tries to target.

Skadden Stairs

Postby Skadden Stairs » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:58 pm

Just judging solely by the facebook groups I'd say asian isn't exactly the minority they're targeting.

Oh well. I'm not bitter. I'll just be tanner.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:09 pm

lex talionis wrote:Just judging solely by the facebook groups I'd say asian isn't exactly the minority they're targeting.

Oh well. I'm not bitter. I'll just be tanner.

I used the rude interview as a learning experience.

treple

Postby treple » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:32 pm

Man... I was sooo overly confident about getting accepted into the program because everyone said if you get into T6 you're golden. I pretty much didn't take a lot of the process seriously... Seeing some of the rejections I feel incrediblyyyy lucky now...

legends159

Postby legends159 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:36 pm

you were also accepted early. They're probably filling up a bit now.

but you got some awesome stats and had HYS knocking down your door soo....

daisyduck

Postby daisyduck » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:18 pm

jaen78 wrote:
legends159 wrote:makes sense. I'm just wondering if there is a quota whether or not it's set lower for Asians?

That would make sense. They're not considered URM in terms of LS admissions. In fact, I think they're overrepresented, aren't they? If that's the case, fewer Asians are probably experiencing the type of disadvantage SEO tries to target.

In LS, yes, but not at law firms past associate levels. Asians experience the glass ceiling effect as much as the next minority and are disadvantaged in management/senior-level promotions. I think that SEO includes Asians as minorities because they recognize this.

Skadden Stairs

Postby Skadden Stairs » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:22 pm

legends159 wrote:you were also accepted early. They're probably filling up a bit now.

but you got some awesome stats and had HYS knocking down your door soo....

and let's be honest: I'm sure it took them under 5 minutes (longer because it was skype) to realize I am functionally retarded

meesawoosa

Postby meesawoosa » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:31 pm

daisyduck wrote:
jaen78 wrote:

In LS, yes, but not at law firms past associate levels. Asians experience the glass ceiling effect as much as the next minority and are disadvantaged in management/senior-level promotions. I think that SEO includes Asians as minorities because they recognize this.

daisyduck, thanks for that post. props.

ihaftagetinsomewhere

Postby ihaftagetinsomewhere » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:14 pm

I just got the call that I'm accepted into the program. My best acceptance right now is USC. I really didn't expect it. I thought my interview was a disaster.

They don't know whether I'll be placed in DC or NY yet? Anyone else in the same boat?

coqui

Postby coqui » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:31 pm

ihaftagetinsomewhere wrote:I just got the call that I'm accepted into the program. My best acceptance right now is USC. I really didn't expect it. I thought my interview was a disaster.

They don't know whether I'll be placed in DC or NY yet? Anyone else in the same boat?

I just got accepted too!!! I've been waiting for the email, the one to accept the offer, just to confirm I wasn't hallucinating....

Please let me know when you get it. BTW Congrats!!!

EDIT: got it! yay!!

jaen78

Postby jaen78 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:11 pm

Congrats to both of you, that's great news!

daisyduck

Postby daisyduck » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:27 pm

grats, yall! when did you guys submit your enrollment forms?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:33 pm

legends159 wrote:any theory that it might be harder for Asians?

Me, Lex and jubileeez have all been rejected and between the 3 of us are some pretty decent T6 acceptances.

I had a Berkeley acceptance and got bounced before you guise. Not sure if that would count as traditional T6 tho. With that said, I fully believe it's harder for asians.

TheNerdProject

Postby TheNerdProject » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:36 pm

Kohinoor wrote:

Me, Lex and jubileeez have all been rejected and between the 3 of us are some pretty decent T6 acceptances.

I had a Berkeley acceptance and got bounced before you guise. Not sure if that would count as traditional T6 tho. With that said, I fully believe it's harder for asians.

I got into Berk and Chicago and couldn't land an SEO interview. Meanwhile, I know someone who's going to Berk and got into SEO (and SEO even expressed some excitement about my friend's choice).

IMO SEO doesn't care that much about the school as long as it's a T14. They might care more about schools at the top of the T14 than at the bottom since that's what the law firms care about. In general, however, it looks like they care more about a demonstrated interest in corporate law as opposed to public interest since they want their interns to eventually get hired at some of these firms (incentive for the sponsor firms) and to donate money to SEO later on down the road (incentive for the organization itself). So even if you get into a T6, if you have a ton of public interest type work on your resume, my guess is that it looks bad to them, especially if you don't address what appears to be a sudden change of heart in your essay. That is, too much PI on a res is probably a risk factor for SEO, even though it could be, though not necessarily, a strength on a law school application. This is my theory and I'm interested in learning about any counterexamples out there.

Regarding Asians, if the corporate law program is anything like their undergrad programs, then Asians shouldn't have a problem getting in. You may want to take a look at the SEO 2012 and 2011 facebook groups to confirm this.

frank_the_tank

Postby frank_the_tank » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:11 pm

TheNerdProject wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

It isn't because you are Asian, it's just that you suck.

mp2012

Postby mp2012 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:26 am

TheNerdProject wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

I got into Berk and Chicago and couldn't land an SEO interview. Meanwhile, I know someone who's going to Berk and got into SEO (and SEO even expressed some excitement about my friend's choice).

IMO SEO doesn't care that much about the school as long as it's a T14. They might care more about schools at the top of the T14 than at the bottom since that's what the law firms care about. In general, however, it looks like they care more about a demonstrated interest in corporate law as opposed to public interest since they want their interns to eventually get hired at some of these firms (incentive for the sponsor firms) and to donate money to SEO later on down the road (incentive for the organization itself). So even if you get into a T6, if you have a ton of public interest type work on your resume, my guess is that it looks bad to them, especially if you don't address what appears to be a sudden change of heart in your essay. That is, too much PI on a res is probably a risk factor for SEO, even though it could be, though not necessarily, a strength on a law school application. This is my theory and I'm interested in learning about any counterexamples out there.

Regarding Asians, if the corporate law program is anything like their undergrad programs, then Asians shouldn't have a problem getting in. You may want to take a look at the SEO 2012 and 2011 facebook groups to confirm this.

I'm Asian. I also have worked at 4 different legal aid organizations and another non-profit. I stated in the interview that it is rare for undergraduates to work in a legal capacity at a law firm. It is much easier to gain legal experience at non-profit, legal aids. Seemed to work..

TheNerdProject

Postby TheNerdProject » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:39 am

mp2012 wrote:
TheNerdProject wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

I'm Asian. I also have worked at 4 different legal aid organizations and another non-profit. I stated in the interview that it is rare for undergraduates to work in a legal capacity at a law firm. It is much easier to gain legal experience at non-profit, legal aids. Seemed to work..

Wow that's super impressive. Congrats!

Any other examples of people, not necessarily Asians, with extensive non-profit backgrounds who got into SEO?

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:55 am

Well, I haven't gotten into SEO but I got an interview the day after sending my application and am still in the running (though probably not for long, as I have no acceptances and 4 waitlists). I took a break from school and served a 2 year humanitarian mission (which was on my resume) which included working with various immigrant/underserved groups. My whole resume screams PI and non-profit work and I don't think that disadvantaged me in the SEO process.

jaen78

Postby jaen78 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:59 am

I talked quite a bit about working at the public defender's office during my interview and still got in. I also went out of my way to explain it was a great experience but definitely not something I'd be interested in as a career.

daisyduck

Postby daisyduck » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:04 am

Hey guys, I have a Q:
After you faxed in your enrollment deposit + acceptance letter, did any of you call them/email them to see if they got it?

TheNerdProject

Postby TheNerdProject » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:08 am

Thanks for the responses. So much for that theory. SEO, as far as I know, is unpredictable in terms of who they want in their program.

coqui

Postby coqui » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:52 am

daisyduck wrote:grats, yall! when did you guys submit your enrollment forms?

daisyduck wrote:Hey guys, I have a Q:
After you faxed in your enrollment deposit + acceptance letter, did any of you call them/email them to see if they got it?

thanks for the congrats!

I submitted my acceptance letter a week or so ago...i sent them an email with an attachment of the letter and enrollment confirmation.

jaen78

Postby jaen78 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:24 pm

I called to confirm it had been received and they were sort of shady about it. They wouldn't give me a direct answer; they just said they'd contact me if they needed anything else.

daisyduck

Postby daisyduck » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:16 pm

jaen78 wrote:

I called to confirm it had been received and they were sort of shady about it. They wouldn't give me a direct answer; they just said they'd contact me if they needed anything else.

SAME! Weird, cos it's not like there was a specific deadline you had to submit your forms by. Oh well. My chances are slim anyway.

Return to “Legal Employment”