SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jaen78

New

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by jaen78 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:27 pm

I know PI obviously isn't their focus, but I'm surprised to hear involvement in it seems to have hurt some people. They specifically asked in my interview what I have done to give back to my community, so I assumed they wanted applicants to be at least somewhat philanthropic with their time. Regardless, sorry to hear the news Jubilee, but you're headed to Yale, so I can't feel too sorry for you. :wink: Sounds like you'll have a great summer anyway.

meesawoosa

New

Post by meesawoosa » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:32 pm

jaen78 wrote:I know PI obviously isn't their focus, but I'm surprised to hear involvement in it seems to have hurt some people. They specifically asked in my interview what I have done to give back to my community, so I assumed they wanted applicants to be at least somewhat philanthropic with their time. Regardless, sorry to hear the news Jubilee, but you're headed to Yale, so I can't feel too sorry for you. :wink: Sounds like you'll have a great summer anyway.
i just wanted to chime in and say i think jaen is probably right. it seemed to me like SEO was def. looking for people who had history/experience giving back to the community in some way, so i don't think public interest backgrounds necessarily hurt people. i think it is probably just because they also care that their interns have a serious passion for/interest in corporate law as well. i also have substantial public interest/community service involvement, including my current job.

jamaicanjynx

New

Post by jamaicanjynx » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:33 pm

They want you to be philanthropic but not so much that you're interested in a PI career. Otherwise you're taking up internship spots from people who are genuinely interested in corporate law careers.

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:37 pm

jamaicanjynx wrote:They want you to be philanthropic but not so much that you're interested in a PI career. Otherwise you're taking up internship spots from people who are genuinely interested in corporate law careers.
This.

Although I do think if one has no corporate experience whatsoever (or very limited), that makes them an auto-reject no matter what school they're in at.

jaen78

New

Post by jaen78 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:50 pm

Really? They only choose graduates or very recent graduates, and it's very difficult to get any corporate experience as an undergrad. I can't imagine they really expect many people to have found such rare opportunities.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheNerdProject

Bronze

Post by TheNerdProject » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:52 pm

jaen78 wrote:Really? They only choose graduates or very recent graduates, and it's very difficult to get any corporate experience as an undergrad. I can't imagine they really expect many people to have found such rare opportunities.
Corporate experience isn't that rare... half the people I know had summer internships on Wall Street during their junior-senior year summers and some even before.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:53 pm

jaen78 wrote:Really? They only choose graduates or very recent graduates, and it's very difficult to get any corporate experience as an undergrad. I can't imagine they really expect many people to have found such rare opportunities.
They have a ton of applicants and very few spots. They can afford to be picky. Guessing that a decent number of applicants either graduated and worked or interned as undergrads.

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:57 pm

Corporate experience isn't that rare... half the people I know had summer internships on Wall Street during their junior-senior year summers and some even before.
You obviously go to an Ivy or Stanford/Duke/Chicago etc. ........for those who don't attend that level of school wall street jobs are practically impossible to get. Even other types of corporate jobs are almost non existent. I'm not surprised though SEO is EXTREMELY elitist. Most people who they accept attend TOP undergrads. Their career program is the same way.

daisyduck

New

Post by daisyduck » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:01 pm

TheNerdProject wrote:
Finance internships are very different from law firm experience. And SEO has a separate program for investment bank internships. I highly doubt the Corporate Law Program actively seeks out for applicants with "Wall Street experience." They are two different career paths, after all. During my interview, they were more interested about whether I was planning on going into a corporate law firm after law school, hence the questions like "which firms are you interested in" and "what are your career goals."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

treple

Bronze

Post by treple » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:14 pm

hmmm... I would say the interview matters the most... tbh...

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:16 pm

Oops, let me clarify. I didn't mean corporate experience in terms of working for a law firm. Basically they were asking about any experience working in a 'corporate environment'.

cougarlive

Bronze

Post by cougarlive » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:36 pm

kurama20 wrote:
You obviously go to an Ivy or Stanford/Duke/Chicago etc. ........for those who don't attend that level of school wall street jobs are practically impossible to get. Even other types of corporate jobs are almost non existent. I'm not surprised though SEO is EXTREMELY elitist. Most people who they accept attend TOP undergrads. Their career program is the same way.

Did any of you get a letter from SEO inviting you to apply because they were interested in people from your undergrad doing the program? I got a letter stating that and didn't know if it was common--or if they really were trying to recruit BYU undergrads for SEO.

jaen78

New

Post by jaen78 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:33 pm

I got the same letter, and I don't go to an elite undergrad. I love it to pieces, but I'm sure
SEO isn't nearly as impressed by it as I am :wink:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jaen78

New

Post by jaen78 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:22 pm

On another note, any estimates as to how many spots are still remaining and how many apps still in question? It seems like both acceptances and rejections have been slowly dribbling in. I wonder when the final decisions will be made? Suspense is no fun unless it's in a movie....

mp2012

New

Post by mp2012 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:59 pm

I submitted my enrollment information on Friday. When should I expect to hear back? Is SEO pretty quick about this?

treple

Bronze

Post by treple » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:40 pm

No.

mp2012

New

Post by mp2012 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:22 pm

I heard back pretty quickly. Is receiving a phone call after submitting your enrollment information a good sign?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:24 pm

mp2012 wrote:I heard back pretty quickly. Is receiving a phone call after submitting your enrollment information a good sign?
did you miss the phone call or something? what did they say?

jaen78

New

Post by jaen78 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:25 pm

Have you been interviewed yet? And which school are you enrolling in?

mp2012

New

Post by mp2012 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:12 pm

I've already been interviewed. I'm enrolling at Columbia. I received an email scheduling a phone conversation to discuss my interest in the program. I don't know if that is bad or good.

meesawoosa

New

Post by meesawoosa » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:24 pm

i would think good. i received the same e-mail/had the phone conversation and was accepted to the program a couple days later.

good luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:39 pm

congrats!

mp2012

New

Post by mp2012 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:57 pm

meesawoosa wrote:i would think good. i received the same e-mail/had the phone conversation and was accepted to the program a couple days later.

good luck!
That gives me hope! Thanks!

mp2012

New

Post by mp2012 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:17 pm

meesawoosa wrote:i would think good. i received the same e-mail/had the phone conversation and was accepted to the program a couple days later.

good luck!
Also, what did the conversation cover considering I've already interviewed?

jaen78

New

Post by jaen78 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:02 am

mp2012 wrote:

good luck!
Also, what did the conversation cover considering I've already interviewed?
Maybe just verifying you haven't already accepted another offer for the summer? Either way, sounds like you're in so congrats! Has anyone gotten in yet without receiving the email and having the extra phone call, or is that standard procedure for them?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”