SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Kohinoor

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:56 pm

jaen78 wrote:Wow, their standards seem really high this year. Those of you who got rejected today, did you all interview and did you send in a confirmation to attend a T-14 yet? And did you find out via email?
Yes, No, Yes. They knew I was in at UVA/Berk tho.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:56 pm

kurla88 wrote:They said they have 60 positions this year.

I had an interview in like, February. I did not fax them my acceptances or deposits yet but I did update my acceptances on the SEO app.

Edit: I received an email telling me to check my app page, where my rejection awaited.

Same.

This might be good news for everyone that didn't get rejected eh?

Skadden Stairs

Postby Skadden Stairs » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:35 pm

Not rejected yet... still waiting for it after my fail interview. But I can once again update my acceptances online, so that's something? :? I think the screen looks different somehow, though, but I'm not sure where...

treple

Postby treple » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:37 pm

Still alive... I didn't exactly go to a top undergrad though...

jaen78

Postby jaen78 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:29 pm

Maybe tomorrow might be the day for some acceptance phone calls? Here's hoping for good news! 60 spots seems like a fair amount given our crap-tastic economy.....

summertimechi

Postby summertimechi » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:38 pm

no idea how i'm still alive. perhaps because i haven't given them a seat deposit receipt yet. hmmm.

jubileeez

Postby jubileeez » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:27 pm

lex talionis wrote:Not rejected yet... still waiting for it after my fail interview. But I can once again update my acceptances online, so that's something? :? I think the screen looks different somehow, though, but I'm not sure where...

yeah. i think my status used to say decision available or something with a link to a page telling me they've decided to wait to make a decision on my file, but now it looks just like yours, with "submitted" as the status.

magnumxlv

Postby magnumxlv » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:33 am

summertimechi wrote:no idea how i'm still alive. perhaps because i haven't given them a seat deposit receipt yet. hmmm.

Same with me. I didn't think my interview went well, but I would love this internship. I hope my soon to be deposit at an SEO "feeder" school works in my favor. :mrgreen:

jubileeez

Postby jubileeez » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:34 pm

any news today?

treple

Postby treple » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:53 pm

I've got news... PM's though.

jubileeez

Postby jubileeez » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:37 am

rejected via email this morning

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:48 am

jubileeez wrote:rejected via email this morning

That is unbelievable. Sorry to hear that.

daisyduck

Postby daisyduck » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:55 am

WHAT??????????? Aren't you HLS/YLS-bound????? That is unbelievable.

jubileeez

Postby jubileeez » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:56 am

yeah, i'll be going to YLS in the fall.

thanks for the sympathy! im an international applicant so i guess the chances are different for us...or i just really bombed my interview. anyway, good luck to everyone else still waiting!

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:12 am

Summer off before Yale Law School sounds awesome actually.

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:14 am

My guess is that they place a WHOLE LOT more weight on one's background than where they get in (unless I am an anomaly). I have yet to get a law school acceptance (a few waitlists), have "OK" numbers, still got an interview a day after sending in my application, and still alive at SEO.

For those of you who have gotten accepted or rejected--would you consider your upbringing "privileged" or "underprivileged"? (taking into account parent's education level, socioeconomic status, etc.)

jubileeez

Postby jubileeez » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:35 am

i grew up in Bedford-Stuyvesant; i'm a first-generation immigrant (though i still do not have citizenship here) and my parents worked their way up from Chinatown sweatshops.

ive only been involved with public-interest organizations (and heavily) and that really came out on my resume and during the interview. i have a feeling they picked up on the fact that i wasnt really into corporate law, but just wanted to take a random stab at it.

and yes, now that ive recovered from being caught off-guard, im actually really excited about having a free summer! gives me time to go back to China and do everything i haven't been able to do in my undergrad summers. :)

daisyduck

Postby daisyduck » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:43 am

jubileeez wrote:i grew up in Bedford-Stuyvesant; i'm a first-generation immigrant (though i still do not have citizenship here) and my parents worked their way up from Chinatown sweatshops.

ive only been involved with public-interest organizations (and heavily) and that really came out on my resume and during the interview. i have a feeling they picked up on the fact that i wasnt really into corporate law, but just wanted to take a random stab at it.

and yes, now that ive recovered from being caught off-guard, im actually really excited about having a free summer! gives me time to go back to China and do everything i haven't been able to do in my undergrad summers. :)

Damn. Props to your parents. And of course to you too, on YLS :)

Yeah I think your public-interest stance may have had a lot to do with it. When SEO came to my campus for recruiting, they explicitly said if you want to do public interest, there's a separate Philanthropy program. Corporate Law Program is, indeed, for those who want to succeed in corporate law firms.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:50 am

jubileeez wrote:i grew up in Bedford-Stuyvesant; i'm a first-generation immigrant (though i still do not have citizenship here) and my parents worked their way up from Chinatown sweatshops.

God I'm jealous right now.

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:51 am

Yeah, then my theory doesn't hold for you. I am in a similar boat as you though. I am a first generation Mexican-American who just got Permanent Residency. Parents and I worked in the fields (them picking strawberries, me bucking hay bales). First in my family to go to college. Also heavily involved in public interest and non-profits.

Anyone else care to chime in?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:05 am

cougarlive wrote:

Yeah, then my theory doesn't hold for you. I am in a similar boat as you though. I am a first generation Mexican-American who just got Permanent Residency. Parents and I worked in the fields (them picking strawberries, me bucking hay bales). First in my family to go to college. Also heavily involved in public interest and non-profits.

Anyone else care to chime in?
SEO wants people who will be successful in large corporate firms and give back to SEO. I got dropped because of my grades and jubilee because she doesn't want to be a drone.

TheNerdProject

Postby TheNerdProject » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:25 am

cougarlive wrote:My guess is that they place a WHOLE LOT more weight on one's background than where they get in (unless I am an anomaly). I have yet to get a law school acceptance (a few waitlists), have "OK" numbers, still got an interview a day after sending in my application, and still alive at SEO.

For those of you who have gotten accepted or rejected--would you consider your upbringing "privileged" or "underprivileged"? (taking into account parent's education level, socioeconomic status, etc.)

I won't get into specifics but I got rejected and my backround is definitely underprivileged.

yorubella

Postby yorubella » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:32 am

Hmm. Interesting theory. I got into a SEO undergraduate program, and I noticed that everyone else came from very prestigious schools, whereas I go to a no name school and my GPA is not that great and I don't think my interview went that well. I'm Black but do come from a pretty privileged economic background, and it shows. Maybe this had something to do with my acceptance?

dramaqueen_87

Postby dramaqueen_87 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:40 pm

I've been involved with a lot of human rights/public interest organizations and that came up in my interview as well. I wonder what bearing that will have on my decision, especially since I haven't sent a seat deposit yet. Good luck to you@ YLS!

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:47 pm

cougarlive wrote:My guess is that they place a WHOLE LOT more weight on one's background than where they get in (unless I am an anomaly). I have yet to get a law school acceptance (a few waitlists), have "OK" numbers, still got an interview a day after sending in my application, and still alive at SEO.

I'm relatively privileged...

Return to “Legal Employment”