SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawbeast1

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby lawbeast1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:26 pm

cougarlive wrote:
lawbeast1 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
lawbeast1 wrote:Does anyone know about the chances of being placed in DC? I just had my interview in NY (and the people where quite cold btw, it was not pleasant). I told them flat out I wouldn't take an internship unless it was in DC. The interview kinda rubbed me the wrong way about the program anyways, but I'm still curious.

I am an SEO alum. SEO places students in DC based on firm need (the DC program started last year).

BTW Firms, Law Schools and SEO check these blogs on a regular basis. A few students at my firm have already been tracked on here. Negative comments are not so wise and can reflect poorly on your app (at least has been the case at my firm).

I would also like to emphasize that SEO interviews are critical behavior interviews and are intended to critique your behavior in several ways. They have a pretty comprehensive interview tips section(if anyone took the time to read it) that comes along with the interview invite- I volunteer to interview in other regions.

Good luck with your search and enjoy your summer before law school!!
Interesting. I always did feel that everything I did was of monumental significance, but others said it was insanity to feel that individuals were so important that resources would be dedicated to tracking them down. Can you comment on what you mean by tracked and why SEO can be so abrupt with people seeking clarification about their account status?

Not sure what you mean by abrupt? The internet facilitates all kind of employer unofficial "background searches". Budgets are tight, so companies and programs are trying their best to select candidates that best fit their goals (and not waste salary money on people who dont meet their standards). This will include unsavory behavior that reflects on soft skills such as an individuals judgement, maturity, flexibility, etc. I mean this extends beyond the basic googling of a persons name.

Applicant information is provided by the individual. For instance in the situation at my firm, we had all the students information through resume and supporting documents; it is not very hard to use that information in reviewing these blogs and other sites for correlating identification. I mean some of you on here actually have real pictures lol. These are very basic blogs!

I can understand however, wanting to know what is going on. I know at my firm we received a few hundred applications (all from great students) for about 10 positions. It took quite a while to give each application some review before making first and second cuts. I don't know the SEO process in and out, but I know they receive thousands of apps for all seven programs and operate with a relatively small staff. So it probably takes a while to give all the competitive apps some consideration.

hope that helps!

Hi lawbeast thanks for posting! I know there are a lot of people on here (including some who will never make a single post) who appreciate the information you just provided. From what you said it seems that the decisions on whether or not someone is placed with a firm is made by the firm itself and not necessarily by SEO--is that correct? Does SEO base whether or not it picks an applicant based on if there is already a firm who has chosen the applicant? Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the confusion. When I referenced my firm application numbers I was referring to summer paralegal positions we have for pre-law students; not related to SEO at all. I don't work with an SEO partner firm (but I am working on having my law firm added as a partner).
SEO partner firms have nothing to do with the admission's process. The firms entrust placement entirely to SEO; which is probably another reason the admissions process is a bit daunting. You never meet with the firm before hand, or get interviewed by them. SEO does its placement entirely internal and the firms seem to be happy with it!

hope thats a bit more clear sorry again for the confusion.

lawbeast1

Postby lawbeast1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:29 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
lawbeast1 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
lawbeast1 wrote:Does anyone know about the chances of being placed in DC? I just had my interview in NY (and the people where quite cold btw, it was not pleasant). I told them flat out I wouldn't take an internship unless it was in DC. The interview kinda rubbed me the wrong way about the program anyways, but I'm still curious.

I am an SEO alum. SEO places students in DC based on firm need (the DC program started last year).

BTW Firms, Law Schools and SEO check these blogs on a regular basis. A few students at my firm have already been tracked on here. Negative comments are not so wise and can reflect poorly on your app (at least has been the case at my firm).

I would also like to emphasize that SEO interviews are critical behavior interviews and are intended to critique your behavior in several ways. They have a pretty comprehensive interview tips section(if anyone took the time to read it) that comes along with the interview invite- I volunteer to interview in other regions.

Good luck with your search and enjoy your summer before law school!!
Interesting. I always did feel that everything I did was of monumental significance, but others said it was insanity to feel that individuals were so important that resources would be dedicated to tracking them down. Can you comment on what you mean by tracked and why SEO can be so abrupt with people seeking clarification about their account status?

Not sure what you mean by abrupt? The internet facilitates all kind of employer unofficial "background searches". Budgets are tight, so companies and programs are trying their best to select candidates that best fit their goals (and not waste salary money on people who dont meet their standards). This will include unsavory behavior that reflects on soft skills such as an individuals judgement, maturity, flexibility, etc. I mean this extends beyond the basic googling of a persons name.

Applicant information is provided by the individual. For instance in the situation at my firm, we had all the students information through resume and supporting documents; it is not very hard to use that information in reviewing these blogs and other sites for correlating identification. I mean some of you on here actually have real pictures lol. These are very basic blogs!

I can understand however, wanting to know what is going on. I know at my firm we received a few hundred applications (all from great students) for about 10 positions. It took quite a while to give each application some review before making first and second cuts. I don't know the SEO process in and out, but I know they receive thousands of apps for all seven programs and operate with a relatively small staff. So it probably takes a while to give all the competitive apps some consideration.

hope that helps!
How does SEO view applicants that commit to Berkeley?

Berkeley is a great school. Congrats if you got admitted; one of my colleagues went to Boalt and loved it! Boalt is a great school.

I am pretty sure I met a very recent SEO CL alum at a recent networking event that went to Boalt...may have even been an alum from last years class...not 100% sure but pretty sure it was Boalt.

brownbears

Postby brownbears » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:38 pm

Thanks for all the helpful advice Lawbeast! Do you have any idea what their typical notification timeline is though? Especially for individuals who have committed to schools.

jaen78

Postby jaen78 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:41 pm

So what's the verdict? Anyone get an offer today like we thought?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:12 pm

jaen78 wrote:So what's the verdict? Anyone get an offer today like we thought?

Nope.

brownbears

Postby brownbears » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:28 pm

jaen78 wrote:So what's the verdict? Anyone get an offer today like we thought?

Didn't hear anything either, how about you treple?

treple

Postby treple » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:05 am

Nope -- no word.. sorry =/

brownbears

Postby brownbears » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:54 pm

in by phone call :D :) :D

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:58 pm

brownbears wrote:in by phone call :D :) :D

Congrats brownbears! Where are you headed in the Fall?

brownbears

Postby brownbears » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:06 pm

kurla88 wrote:

PMed :)

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:10 pm

brownbears wrote:
kurla88 wrote:

Grats! How long ago did you submit your stuff?

brownbears

Postby brownbears » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:10 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
brownbears wrote:
kurla88 wrote:

Grats! How long ago did you submit your stuff?

Thanks! I had submitted everything by March.

Skadden Stairs

Postby Skadden Stairs » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:13 pm

Has anyone hear back who hasn't already put down a seat deposit?

lawbeast1

Postby lawbeast1 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:02 pm

brownbears wrote:Thanks for all the helpful advice Lawbeast! Do you have any idea what their typical notification timeline is though? Especially for individuals who have committed to schools.

when I did the program I didn't find out until mid April. but I am not sure what may have happened since my wonder years..lol...

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:24 pm

lex talionis wrote:Has anyone hear back who hasn't already put down a seat deposit?
I doubt it lex. I think that despite the varied emails, they still wait for your seat deposit.

masterpinky0509

Postby masterpinky0509 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:34 pm

So they don't want to see a copy of the check itself, right? I hope they just want the form where you check off the acceptance box and sign, b/c that's the only thing I sent them.

According to what they told me, it takes two or three weeks after you send everythign in (including seat deposit form) for them to make a final decision.

booker09

Postby booker09 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:08 pm

i just had my interview today....(late, yeah). did anyone have both Mekaelia Davis and Sari David? i had no alums interviewing me. i completely bombed the article-summarization part... (idk why, nerves i guess) and there were a few times both interviewers looked completely bored. :( i probably said something crazy

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:44 am

booker09 wrote:i just had my interview today....(late, yeah). did anyone have both Mekaelia Davis and Sari David? i had no alums interviewing me. i completely bombed the article-summarization part... (idk why, nerves i guess) and there were a few times both interviewers looked completely bored. :( i probably said something crazy

I think alot of us get that. They're professionals so I'm guessing they're doing it on purpose.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:00 pm

Rejected today via status checker. Good luck to everyone still in the game!

smack4ud

Postby smack4ud » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:09 pm

Rejected!

Ouch, that stings a little.

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:30 pm

Rejected. o.O Um wow, I thought they were supposed to wait till I picked a school? I'm in at Chicago so the "HYSCCN = in" theory is not so much this year...

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:34 pm

Wow you guys were rejected with the acceptances you have?? They must be taking into account your actual stats and undergrad. In which case it would seem that SEO is probably one of the hardest internships to land. So you need 1. high gpa 2. high LSAT 3. top undergrad 4. T-14 acceptance 5. Good softs Wow.......

jaen78

Postby jaen78 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:42 pm

Wow, their standards seem really high this year. Those of you who got rejected today, did you all interview and did you send in a confirmation to attend a T-14 yet? And did you find out via email?

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:45 pm

They said they have 60 positions this year.

I had an interview in like, February. I did not fax them my acceptances or deposits yet but I did update my acceptances on the SEO app.

Edit: I received an email telling me to check my app page, where my rejection awaited.
Last edited by kurla88 on Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magnumxlv

Postby magnumxlv » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:47 pm

How were you guys rejected? The same application page where you update your acceptances?

Return to “Legal Employment”