SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
KP429

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby KP429 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:14 pm

Last edited by KP429 on Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:37 pm

KP429 wrote:SEO is ridiculous. They have quotas for the top schools and I'm guessing the big NYC firms pay them money to help find the "top minority candidates." In exchange, you get to push papers for a summer in NYC, ride in the dirty, humid subways, and barely make enough money to pay for a decent place + enjoy yourself for the summer (if you aren't from the city).

I think it's a really great opportunity if you want the experience, but uh.. I think I'll enjoy my last summer before LS lying on the beach back home. Besides, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to land a corporate job somewhere coming from a T6 anyway.

Fwiw, I'll be declining any offer (assuming I receive one).

I'm very risk-averse. I don't know if I can turn down an in (even just a possible one) into a 1L summer job before even starting.

Plus I know $750/week is nothing in NYC, but I'm straight out of UG and have never made that much money in my life. :oops:

I can definitely see it not being worth the hassle to someone with significant experience already, though.

KP429

Postby KP429 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:44 pm

I'm very risk-averse. I don't know if I can turn down an in (even just a possible one) into a 1L summer job before even starting.

Plus I know $750/week is nothing in NYC, but I'm straight out of UG and have never made that much money in my life. :oops:

I can definitely see it not being worth the hassle to someone with significant experience already, though.[/quote]

Last edited by KP429 on Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:47 pm

KP429 wrote:
kurla88 wrote:
KP429 wrote:SEO is ridiculous. They have quotas for the top schools and I'm guessing the big NYC firms pay them money to help find the "top minority candidates." In exchange, you get to push papers for a summer in NYC, ride in the dirty, humid subways, and barely make enough money to pay for a decent place + enjoy yourself for the summer (if you aren't from the city).

I think it's a really great opportunity if you want the experience, but uh.. I think I'll enjoy my last summer before LS lying on the beach back home. Besides, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to land a corporate job somewhere coming from a T6 anyway.

I can definitely see it not being worth the hassle to someone with significant experience already, though.

Believe me, I'm extremely risk-averse as well. Problem is, everyone at the ASWs for these T6 schools said getting an associateship after 1L was difficult, but pretty damn easy after 2L. Maybe things will change in the coming years, but for highly qualified applicants (especially minorities), it doesn't seem to be all that bad. I don't want to give bad advice and I definitely recommend doing your research, but there's not much more than anecdotal evidence (in either direction) that SEO kids can get associateships at the firm where they interned the previous summer.

Secondly, I've never made anything close to $750 a week either, but I've also never had to deal with the COL in a city like NYC. I'm not rich, don't have family in NYC, etc. so it will be a huge hassle to find housing and then a double PITA to live frugally with so many different things to do in the city. I'm straight out of UG too, btw.

In the spirit of full disclosure I live in NY. SEO for me would be a summer of good money and good times with my friends before I leave for law school. Your mileage may vary especially if you're paying rent to be in NY and don't have friends here.

KP429

Postby KP429 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:48 pm

Last edited by KP429 on Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

brownbears

Postby brownbears » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:52 pm

-
Last edited by brownbears on Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:09 pm

I have a T6 acceptance, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to Penn on a scholarship instead. Wonder what that means for me. >.<

I also worry if with the economy it's more like just HYS or HYSC are auto-ins this year...

Sigh. We won't know anything till we know anything. :(

I'm jealous of your sitch, Kohinoor and brownbears! That is indeed perfect for SEO.

treple

Postby treple » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:29 am

I'm sort of hoping I land this opportunity.
Last edited by treple on Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jubileeez

Postby jubileeez » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:38 am

brownbears wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:In the spirit of full disclosure I live in NY. SEO for me would be a summer of good money and good times with my friends before I leave for law school. Your mileage may vary especially if you're paying rent to be in NY and don't have friends here.

ditto!

that makes three of us! :)

meesawoosa

Postby meesawoosa » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:52 pm

hmm if it's any help, on previous years' threads on SEO, people also didn't hear back for a long stretch of time. i think it's because the corporate law program is the only one where they have to wait to hear what school we're attending.

with the other programs (i-banking, corporate finance, etc.) they can get back to everyone by march 22nd or whenever, and then they need to get their admitted interns prepared for the summer (i.e. they just sent out e-mails about roommate-matching and online training). because of that, they probably are just getting back around to the corporate law internship, and hopefully would be getting back to everyone from here on out.

also, i've talked to several former SEO corporate law interns regarding the actual quality of the work experience, and all of them said that they had substantial work - not just "paper pushing." they had to followup with clients, help structure deals, etc. at the firms they were working. if you read brittlynn's TLS blog, she talks a lot about SEO and her experience and alexb's post on the YLS 1L taking questions thread was also very helpful and balanced i thought. there also post-SEO reviews on the LSD thread.

gahhhhhhhhhh

Postby gahhhhhhhhhh » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:02 pm

meesawoosa wrote:hmm if it's any help, on previous years' threads on SEO, people also didn't hear back for a long stretch of time. i think it's because the corporate law program is the only one where they have to wait to hear what school we're attending.

with the other programs (i-banking, corporate finance, etc.) they can get back to everyone by march 22nd or whenever, and then they need to get their admitted interns prepared for the summer (i.e. they just sent out e-mails about roommate-matching and online training). because of that, they probably are just getting back around to the corporate law internship, and hopefully would be getting back to everyone from here on out.

also, i've talked to several former SEO corporate law interns regarding the actual quality of the work experience, and all of them said that they had substantial work - not just "paper pushing." they had to followup with clients, help structure deals, etc. at the firms they were working. if you read brittlynn's TLS blog, she talks a lot about SEO and her experience and alexb's post on the YLS 1L taking questions thread was also very helpful and balanced i thought. there also post-SEO reviews on the LSD thread.

This was before the economy tanked. Current attorneys whose jobs/careers are on the line will be scrounging for any "substantive" work that went to interns last summer. However, I have always been skeptical about what is exactly that SEO interns actually do.

brownbears

Postby brownbears » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:05 pm

meesawoosa wrote:hmm if it's any help, on previous years' threads on SEO, people also didn't hear back for a long stretch of time. i think it's because the corporate law program is the only one where they have to wait to hear what school we're attending.

Pretty much what I've heard as well. Definitely seems like a solid experience.

Has anyone else confirmed attendance at a school + still haven't heard back from SEO?

brownbears

Postby brownbears » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:06 pm

-
Last edited by brownbears on Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:10 pm

brownbears wrote:
jubileeez wrote:
brownbears wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:In the spirit of full disclosure I live in NY. SEO for me would be a summer of good money and good times with my friends before I leave for law school. Your mileage may vary especially if you're paying rent to be in NY and don't have friends here.

ditto!

that makes three of us! :)

Didn't read this carefully enough, I still have to pay rent tho :( At least rents are down? Right? Right?!

Should be!

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:14 pm

While I'm sure they'll try to give us substantive work, I'm a bit dubious about us being a part of any deal structuring. We know neither the clients nor the law.

meesawoosa

Postby meesawoosa » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:27 pm

ugh sorry. should have read "help with deal structuring" not "help structure deals." one of the SEO alums i talked to who was at cravath said that he had helped with the legal research/contract writing for deals. that was what i meant.

apologies!

treple

Postby treple » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:03 pm

I've confirmed and not been contacted.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:19 pm

I totally agree that SEO seems more worthwhile if you are going to be attending school in NYC or have family there.

I think that contributes a lot to why so many alums are from CLS/NYU (besides the obvious).

jaen78

Postby jaen78 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:29 pm

Can anyone post the link to Alexb's Yale 1L thread where he talks about SEO? This search function sucks and I can't find it.

booker09

Postby booker09 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:17 pm

got an email today from SEO asking me for my lsat score. ?! i'm 99.9% positive my score was on my online app...and, plus, doesn't the app have this...thing...that prevents an applicant from submitting an unfinished application??! anyway.....i responded promptly, and took the "blame" of the missing information in fairly abject language. this is how badly i want an SEO internship!! ya hear?

magnumxlv

Postby magnumxlv » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:59 pm

I have my interview tomorrow.

*fingers crossed*

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:23 pm

brownbears wrote:

ditto!

+ 100000000

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:26 pm

I think it's a really great opportunity if you want the experience, but uh.. I think I'll enjoy my last summer before LS lying on the beach back home. Besides, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to land a corporate job somewhere down the line if I want it coming from a T6 anyway.

Just as I predicted. I love your candor, KP.

I'm glad I tossed the SEO materials as soon as I got them.

conn09

Postby conn09 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:02 pm

This thread makes me happy I didn't apply for this. Well not happy, but I regret it less now.

Return to “Legal Employment”