SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:13 am

DiniMae wrote:Thanks to the last Anon for the post re: tips.

Question about housing to any alums: How does it work? Are you left to fend for yourself? I'm applying to CA from DC (in at Berkeley) and am concerned about their practice of last minute selections (May last year they were taking people). That hardly seems to be enough time to pack, sell/move stuff & get to the other side of the country & explore housing options.

I'm no K-JD so I actually have a household, not just clothes. Plus, when I move, I'm not coming back. I'd stay out there because of school. All of this is NOT to say I'd decline, I'm just asking about logistics. Thanks.

I was not K-JD either and I got really lucky with my lease ending on June 1 by coincidence. It's a huge hassle to move so I would just have everything ready to list on craigslist as soon as they send that acceptance. They do not give you useful assistance to find housing. The good part is the orientation in NYC will buy you some extra time to look for a place because you will have one week's stay in NYC paid for by the firm.

I had to move to NYC in two weeks and just sold as many things as possible and stored the rest until after 1st semester of law school. I was on craigslist, facebook, and using my networks to find housing and it was a nightmare but I'm glad I did it. Maybe ask SEO to provide the contact info for last year's Cali alumns so they can offer you some pointed housing advice.

DiniMae

Postby DiniMae » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
DiniMae wrote:Thanks to the last Anon for the post re: tips.

Question about housing to any alums: How does it work? Are you left to fend for yourself? I'm applying to CA from DC (in at Berkeley) and am concerned about their practice of last minute selections (May last year they were taking people). That hardly seems to be enough time to pack, sell/move stuff & get to the other side of the country & explore housing options.

I'm no K-JD so I actually have a household, not just clothes. Plus, when I move, I'm not coming back. I'd stay out there because of school. All of this is NOT to say I'd decline, I'm just asking about logistics. Thanks.

I was not K-JD either and I got really lucky with my lease ending on June 1 by coincidence. It's a huge hassle to move so I would just have everything ready to list on craigslist as soon as they send that acceptance. They do not give you useful assistance to find housing. The good part is the orientation in NYC will buy you some extra time to look for a place because you will have one week's stay in NYC paid for by the firm.

I had to move to NYC in two weeks and just sold as many things as possible and stored the rest until after 1st semester of law school. I was on craigslist, facebook, and using my networks to find housing and it was a nightmare but I'm glad I did it. Maybe ask SEO to provide the contact info for last year's Cali alumns so they can offer you some pointed housing advice.

Good advice. Thank you! Any NoCali alums out there--please reply or PM me if you have any advice. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:26 pm

Has anyone heard back this year? Any acceptances?

subtle

Postby subtle » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:29 pm

Acceptances never come out this early.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:12 pm

Has any one received any interview requests lately?

DiniMae

Postby DiniMae » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has any one received any interview requests lately?

I got one on Jan 3

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:16 pm

My sibling and I each had skype interviews this month and hers was only 10 minutes whereas mine was 30+. We had basically the same questions but diff interviewers. Is either a bad sign?

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My sibling and I each had skype interviews this month and hers was only 10 minutes whereas mine was 30+. We had basically the same questions but diff interviewers. Is either a bad sign?

It means nothing. They have completely diff interview styles.

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:48 pm

mine was 50 minutes long lol

humph

Postby humph » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:52 pm

So many pages and it would be a pain to read them all to find the answer:

based on experience, when should I expect to be contacted regarding an interview (if I get one) if I applied last night? Does it vary?

Tr3

Postby Tr3 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:02 pm

humph wrote:So many pages and it would be a pain to read them all to find the answer:

based on experience, when should I expect to be contacted regarding an interview (if I get one) if I applied last night? Does it vary?

I think it varies. I got the interview 2 months after I submitted. Others seemed to have got it within a couple weeks.

DiniMae

Postby DiniMae » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:25 pm

humph wrote:So many pages and it would be a pain to read them all to find the answer:

I think they review applicants by the round they applied -- you may be looked at immediately or not until the rest of your round applies (Feb1). I would guess that shortly after Feb 1 you'll hear back.

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:53 pm

90convoy wrote:mine was 50 minutes long lol

Mine was about an hour as well.

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:00 pm

any SEO alum/applicants from Cornell in here?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:00 am

Does it matter if you've been accepted to HYS? Or does the advantage only come into play if you matriculate at HYS? I am strongly considering attending a lower ranked school on a scholarship, but I would hate to lose out on SEO.

Does Atlanta only have one SEO slot? What's the pay like there?

TYIA for anyone's knowledge/expertise.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does it matter if you've been accepted to HYS? Or does the advantage only come into play if you matriculate at HYS? I am strongly considering attending a lower ranked school on a scholarship, but I would hate to lose out on SEO.

Is the school T-14? If not, what's the range of it's rank?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does it matter if you've been accepted to HYS? Or does the advantage only come into play if you matriculate at HYS? I am strongly considering attending a lower ranked school on a scholarship, but I would hate to lose out on SEO.

I don't think you should pick a school based on SEO.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:05 am

Didn't do SEO. Heard Emory and Vandy can place in ATL

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:09 am

How much can one expect to take home a month as an SEO intern?

Also, has anyone who's submitted a seat deposit heard back re placement?

subtle

Postby subtle » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:36 am

Your pay depends on your firm, but I would say the most common salary pre-taxes is $1200 per week.

Skool

Postby Skool » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:42 am

subtle wrote:Your pay depends on your firm, but I would say the most common salary pre-taxes is $1200 per week.
But again, that's only for the time you're actually AT the firm. You're not getting paid while you're doing non-firm SEO programming, right?

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:44 am

Skool wrote:
subtle wrote:Your pay depends on your firm, but I would say the most common salary pre-taxes is $1200 per week.
But again, that's only for the time you're actually AT the firm. You're not getting paid while you're doing non-firm SEO programming, right?

As far as I understand you're paid for all 10 weeks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:48 pm

Skool wrote:

Most firms are salaried. I only know of a couple that are hourly.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:47 am

FairchildFLT wrote:
Skool wrote:

As far as I understand you're paid for all 10 weeks.

Correct. paid for all 10 weeks.

Skool

Postby Skool » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:39 am

Got it, sorry for my confusion. I guess I was a little confused by the fact that I understood lockstep to be around 3k a week (pre tax), but SEO pay seemed to be significantly lower than that (see, for example, Davis Polk, http://careers.davispolk.com/article/us ... am-details). I guess I was thinking around 4 weeks of firm employment equals 12k/10 weeks of seo.

This discrepancy is what made me wonder about how pay was being distributed.

Return to “Legal Employment”