SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:03 pm

The firm question isn't asked because they're going to give you one of those. They ask it to make sure you've actually done some research into practice groups firms are known for, specific people you may want to work with, etc. The substance of your answer only matters insofar as it is correct (i.e., don't say you want to go to Paul Weiss because they are a corporate focused firm) and shows you've thought about firm work seriously.

Also, don't do what I did in my interview a few years ago and mispronounce firm names. Some of them are hard (freaking Gotshal & Manges killed me), but you should know them. It's not something that'll matter much in the decision to accept you or not, in fact my interviewer laughed it off and gave me this link (http://law.duke.edu/career/pronunciation/), but you'd rather pronounce names correctly than not.

Flokkness

Bronze

Post by Flokkness » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The firm question isn't asked because they're going to give you one of those. They ask it to make sure you've actually done some research into practice groups firms are known for, specific people you may want to work with, etc. The substance of your answer only matters insofar as it is correct (i.e., don't say you want to go to Paul Weiss because they are a corporate focused firm) and shows you've thought about firm work seriously.

Also, don't do what I did in my interview a few years ago and mispronounce firm names. Some of them are hard (freaking Gotshal & Manges killed me), but you should know them. It's not something that'll matter much in the decision to accept you or not, in fact my interviewer laughed it off and gave me this link (http://law.duke.edu/career/pronunciation/), but you'd rather pronounce names correctly than not.
That link is epic.

Did you end up getting a firm you spoke about, or have you known anybody to?
Last edited by Flokkness on Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The firm question isn't asked because they're going to give you one of those. They ask it to make sure you've actually done some research into practice groups firms are known for, specific people you may want to work with, etc. The substance of your answer only matters insofar as it is correct (i.e., don't say you want to go to Paul Weiss because they are a corporate focused firm) and shows you've thought about firm work seriously.

wish I would have had this! i mispronounced a name. God it was so embarrassing lol

but yeah, they laughed about it and idk if thats bad or not

Flokkness

Bronze

Post by Flokkness » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:03 pm

90convoy wrote:

wish I would have had this! i mispronounced a name. God it was so embarrassing lol

but yeah, they laughed about it and idk if thats bad or not
I said Covington & Burlington. Also good for a laugh. They must hear that kind of stuff all the time. 8)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:27 pm

Flokkness wrote:Did you end up getting a firm you spoke about, or have you known anybody to?
The only person I know of who said they'd want to work at a firm and got it wanted to go to their alumni recommender's firm, was interested in that firms bread and butter, and shared an undergrad with a number of the firm's black partners. Basically it would have been a perfect fit regardless of what firms they mentioned. That said, I only know what that person said in their interview because they told me. For all I know 50% of ppl may get their stated preference firm. Some correlation wouldn't surprise me since interests and firm strengths match up when they match up, but it isn't like you get to select where you go.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Flokkness

Bronze

Post by Flokkness » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Flokkness wrote:Did you end up getting a firm you spoke about, or have you known anybody to?
The only person I know of who said they'd want to work at a firm and got it wanted to go to their alumni recommender's firm, was interested in that firms bread and butter, and shared an undergrad with a number of the firm's black partners. Basically it would have been a perfect fit regardless of what firms they mentioned. That said, I only know what that person said in their interview because they told me. For all I know 50% of ppl may get their stated preference firm. Some correlation wouldn't surprise me since interests and firm strengths match up when they match up, but it isn't like you get to select where you go.
Thanks for the response. Also, on behalf of myself, others, and the lurker applicants - thanks for checking in, period. SEO alums seem to be in very short supply and all of you have great advice. Will definitely pay that forward in the unlikely event that I get placed.

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:12 pm

Most people don't get their preferred firms and the firms don't get to choose their SEOs either.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:21 pm

If chosen, how much money do I save for suits? Is poly blend unacceptable? Are 5 enough?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If chosen, how much money do I save for suits? Is poly blend unacceptable? Are 5 enough?
cant comment on poly blend, but I made it through the summer just fine with 2 suits -- one blue, one gray

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:31 pm

Most firms also have some degree of business casual, so a suit isn't necessary unless you're going to an SEO panel that evening or some firm event.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Most firms also have some degree of business casual, so a suit isn't necessary unless you're going to an SEO panel that evening or some firm event.

The firm I was at last summer required a full suit everyday. Never business casual except for one time we got to change for a firm outting. I had 2 black and 2 blue suits for the summer. All I got for extremely low prices at Burlingto Coat Factory/ Macy's/ etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Most firms also have some degree of business casual, so a suit isn't necessary unless you're going to an SEO panel that evening or some firm event.

The firm I was at last summer required a full suit everyday. Never business casual except for one time we got to change for a firm outting. I had 2 black and 2 blue suits for the summer. All I got for extremely low prices at Burlingto Coat Factory/ Macy's/ etc.
Sorry about Wachtell, bro. My summer, one of their SEOs looked at me with a straight face and said "well, sometimes we can take our jackets off."

EDIT: They also haven't the decency to hire their own SEOs or give them an auto callback.

Tr3

Silver

Post by Tr3 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:05 pm

Would anyone who has done an interview be willing to PM me some info? What was it like? What should I prepare? etc. I'm particularly curious about the reading part of the interview. Please an thank you!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:14 am

Tr3 wrote:Would anyone who has done an interview be willing to PM me some info? What was it like? What should I prepare? etc. I'm particularly curious about the reading part of the interview. Please an thank you!
the reading part is laughably easy; i wouldn't stress over it -- no need to prepare for it

just take your time, you'll be fine

- former SEO

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:43 am

Yeah, these interviews aren't a huge deal. The articles they use are short, and they aren't expecting you to cite caselaw. My year the snippet was a very common knowledge happening regarding Netflix and my highly non-legal response boiled down to fairness. They want to see you think and defend your position a little.

Know your resume, be able to answer "why law", and know a couple firms that are great at what you want to do. That last part seems like something you may want to cram, but it isn't. "I really think I want to do M&A, so a firm like Cravath or Sullivan & Cromwell would be a good place to get started." "Litigation is my main focus coming into law school, but I also think I want to try some sports law work, so Proskauer would be my preference." Either statement has you 80% of the way to a great answer. Vault, google and TLS can tell you which firms are "best" at what.

This may not be comforting, but 90% of what is going to factor into your candidacy isn't within your control. Undergrad, grades, LSAT, where you get accepted, participation in an SEO program, and prior post-grad work experience. A well written "additional information" is good, but you only get 2000 characters. Unless you can't act like a normal person for the length of an interview, you're as in contention as anyone else.

The program accepts ~95 ppl a year, so this is going to be your introduction to the seemingly random unfairness that is law school. Stop trying to divine info from interviewee application dates, or trying to get some edge in the interview.

You want to help yourself get admitted to the program? Here are my tips, in order of importance:
1) Have a good application (90% of this is already decided as I stated above)
2) Get accepted to the T14 (all markets), or UCLA(CA), UT(TX), GW(DC). Atlanta is new, so maybe Emory for that market.
3) Don't be a weirdo
4) Get an alumni rec if you know an SEO. (Not sure if you know an SEO? Do a Facebook search. Type "SEO" into the search bar, click the spyglass and see if any of your friends used the term. Law program alumni are obviously preferred, but anyone who was in the career program is better than no one)
5) Go to Harvard or Columbia. Depending on the year, a plurality or majority of SEOs seem to go to these schools. This is correlation, not causation. They are the top ranked large class size schools, so this isn't unexpected.
...) Everything else
infinity) Read short articles about legal topics and think about your opinion of them

AOT

Gold

Post by AOT » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:13 am

Tr3 wrote:Would anyone who has done an interview be willing to PM me some info? What was it like? What should I prepare? etc. I'm particularly curious about the reading part of the interview. Please an thank you!
x2!

Anonymous User wrote:
the reading part is laughably easy; i wouldn't stress over it -- no need to prepare for it

- former SEO
Really? My interview is pretty soon and I've completely failed to even think about it. I don't really know much (anything) about corporate law either.

I remember reading some info about interview prep somewhere on TLS but can't remember where. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

e: totally failed to read the above post, which is actually v helpful

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:34 pm

alloverthat wrote:
x2!

Anonymous User wrote:

- former SEO
Really? My interview is pretty soon and I've completely failed to even think about it. I don't really know much (anything) about corporate law either.

I remember reading some info about interview prep somewhere on TLS but can't remember where. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

e: totally failed to read the above post, which is actually v helpful
you should definitely prepare for the interview itself, the reading/responsive part is what you shouldn't bother preparing for

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:59 pm

For those who have interviewed in New York, is the interview held at their headquarters (55 exchange etc)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those who have interviewed in New York, is the interview held at their headquarters (55 exchange etc)?

Anyone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:02 am

How do you do the reading part on a skype interview?

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:08 am

Thanks to the last Anon for the post re: tips.

Question about housing to any alums: How does it work? Are you left to fend for yourself? I'm applying to CA from DC (in at Berkeley) and am concerned about their practice of last minute selections (May last year they were taking people). That hardly seems to be enough time to pack, sell/move stuff & get to the other side of the country & explore housing options.

I'm no K-JD so I actually have a household, not just clothes. Plus, when I move, I'm not coming back. I'd stay out there because of school. All of this is NOT to say I'd decline, I'm just asking about logistics. Thanks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:13 am

DiniMae wrote:Thanks to the last Anon for the post re: tips.

Question about housing to any alums: How does it work? Are you left to fend for yourself? I'm applying to CA from DC (in at Berkeley) and am concerned about their practice of last minute selections (May last year they were taking people). That hardly seems to be enough time to pack, sell/move stuff & get to the other side of the country & explore housing options.

I'm no K-JD so I actually have a household, not just clothes. Plus, when I move, I'm not coming back. I'd stay out there because of school. All of this is NOT to say I'd decline, I'm just asking about logistics. Thanks.
I was not K-JD either and I got really lucky with my lease ending on June 1 by coincidence. It's a huge hassle to move so I would just have everything ready to list on craigslist as soon as they send that acceptance. They do not give you useful assistance to find housing. The good part is the orientation in NYC will buy you some extra time to look for a place because you will have one week's stay in NYC paid for by the firm.

I had to move to NYC in two weeks and just sold as many things as possible and stored the rest until after 1st semester of law school. I was on craigslist, facebook, and using my networks to find housing and it was a nightmare but I'm glad I did it. Maybe ask SEO to provide the contact info for last year's Cali alumns so they can offer you some pointed housing advice.

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
DiniMae wrote:Thanks to the last Anon for the post re: tips.

I was not K-JD either and I got really lucky with my lease ending on June 1 by coincidence. It's a huge hassle to move so I would just have everything ready to list on craigslist as soon as they send that acceptance. They do not give you useful assistance to find housing. The good part is the orientation in NYC will buy you some extra time to look for a place because you will have one week's stay in NYC paid for by the firm.

I had to move to NYC in two weeks and just sold as many things as possible and stored the rest until after 1st semester of law school. I was on craigslist, facebook, and using my networks to find housing and it was a nightmare but I'm glad I did it. Maybe ask SEO to provide the contact info for last year's Cali alumns so they can offer you some pointed housing advice.
Good advice. Thank you! Any NoCali alums out there--please reply or PM me if you have any advice. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:26 pm

Has anyone heard back this year? Any acceptances?

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:29 pm

Acceptances never come out this early.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”