SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NightVision
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby NightVision » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:40 am

NightVision wrote:Hello. Longtime lurker here :D

I have a question for those of you that were having problems updating the partner firm section. Did you figure out how to update it? I still can't figure out how to do it.


Can anyone help?...They sent me an email requesting I update the profile online. When I login in takes me to the screen that basically says welcome and the application status is submitted. Isn't there supposed to be a link that reopens the application so I can update it with acceptances? I talked to someone from SEO today and the response I got was that the system is working for everyone else...

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:02 am

The link seems deactivated for me. At the moment I'm unable to edit my file.

User avatar
MissMaroon
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:01 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby MissMaroon » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:25 pm

I have been placed on the SEO waitlist, and I'm supposedly supposed to receive a decision by March 22nd. However, the strangest part of this is that I was never invited for an interview... Does anyone know how this could be?



Also, does anyone have a phone number I can call to speak to someone from SEO? I could not find one on the website. I am on "reserve" at Cornell and "hold" at Chicago, and I think it's important for SEO to know this before they reject me. I haven't been accepted to a T-14 yet, but knowing I could be a heartbeat away from it could push them to invite me to interview, right?

User avatar
cougarlive
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby cougarlive » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:29 pm

MissMaroon wrote:I have been placed on the SEO waitlist, and I'm supposedly supposed to receive a decision by March 22nd. However, the strangest part of this is that I was never invited for an interview... Does anyone know how this could be?



Also, does anyone have a phone number I can call to speak to someone from SEO? I could not find one on the website. I am on "reserve" at Cornell and "hold" at Chicago, and I think it's important for SEO to know this before they reject me. I haven't been accepted to a T-14 yet, but knowing I could be a heartbeat away from it could push them to invite me to interview, right?



How did you find out you were on an SEO Waitlist?


I don't have the contact info...but I think you are familiar with the problems people are having updating their school info.

User avatar
MissMaroon
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:01 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby MissMaroon » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:33 pm

I found out I was waitlisted via an email that provided a link to log-in on the site and view my decision.

User avatar
cougarlive
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby cougarlive » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:38 pm

So I am flying up for the SEO interview in NYC this week, any advice? Feel free to PM me or post info.

What type of questions did they ask?

How much did they probe your "corporate law" knowledge?

How much did you have to know about the partner firms?

Any fun things to do within walking distance of the interview location? (First time in NYC)

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:43 pm

The more you know the better. Be prepared to speak at length about why SEO is for you and which firms/areas you have particular interest in.

'Fun things' in NY is too vague a question to answer. Are you looking for food? Art exhibits? Karaoke? Straight clubs? Gay clubs? Everything in New York is in walking distance depending on how much you're willing to walk.

daisyduck
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby daisyduck » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:46 pm

MissMaroon wrote:I have been placed on the SEO waitlist, and I'm supposedly supposed to receive a decision by March 22nd. However, the strangest part of this is that I was never invited for an interview... Does anyone know how this could be?

Also, does anyone have a phone number I can call to speak to someone from SEO? I could not find one on the website. I am on "reserve" at Cornell and "hold" at Chicago, and I think it's important for SEO to know this before they reject me. I haven't been accepted to a T-14 yet, but knowing I could be a heartbeat away from it could push them to invite me to interview, right?

I'm not sure if calling them would be a good idea to go about updating them with that information, as opposed to e-mailing them.
First of all, you would be depending on the person who picks up the phone to update your file for you, whereas if you email, there will be a written record for both you and SEO.
Second, there is a reason they don't make their phone number easily available - it's probably to keep unnecessary and anxiety-ridden calls from applicants to a minimum.
So IMHO, I think you'd be better off emailing them a letter describing your reserve and hold decisions, maybe with a line or two expressing your continued interest in the program.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:49 pm

Out of curiosity, how many West-Coast bound people are applying for SEO? I'm trying to figure out if they don't like Stanford/Berkeley or if people going to Stanford/Berkeley tend to already be on the West Coast and thus less interested in east-coast oriented SEO.

User avatar
cougarlive
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby cougarlive » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:51 pm

Kohinoor wrote:The more you know the better. Be prepared to speak at length about why SEO is for you and which firms/areas you have particular interest in.

'Fun things' in NY is too vague a question to answer. Are you looking for food? Art exhibits? Karaoke? Straight clubs? Gay clubs?


Haha...no clubs. I am looking for something to do that is nearby so I don't get to the area 4 hours early because I am afraid that my cab driver isn't going to know where its at and then have nothing to do. I am looking for something to do in the late morning early afternoon. I think its near wall street isn't it? How far away is ground zero? NYU's law school?

(I can see that it's relatively close on google maps, but I can't tell if it's within walking distance or a short cab ride).

Knowing me, I will want to get to the place where the interview is really early (just to make sure I find it), then want to see stuff close by.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:05 pm

cougarlive wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:The more you know the better. Be prepared to speak at length about why SEO is for you and which firms/areas you have particular interest in.

'Fun things' in NY is too vague a question to answer. Are you looking for food? Art exhibits? Karaoke? Straight clubs? Gay clubs?


Haha...no clubs. I am looking for something to do that is nearby so I don't get to the area 4 hours early because I am afraid that my cab driver isn't going to know where its at and then have nothing to do. I am looking for something to do in the late morning early afternoon. I think its near wall street isn't it? How far away is ground zero? NYU's law school?

(I can see that it's relatively close on google maps, but I can't tell if it's within walking distance or a short cab ride).

Knowing me, I will want to get to the place where the interview is really early (just to make sure I find it), then want to see stuff close by.


The place is by the bronze bull that tourists love so much. The taxi driver will know where it is.
Image
Wall Street is literally right there. I don't find the immediate area particularly interesting, but you can definitely find bookstores and cafes to kill a few hours. You could get to Ground Zero or the NYU campus in 15-20 minutes max by subway. I use the term campus loosely but Washington Square Park is a chill place and again there are a ton of decent ethnic eateries around there. Ground Zero is a waste. The only way to get the proper sense of awe is if you can look at that space and know that there used to be buildings there that reached into the sky which is hard to do if your only experience with the area is as it is now.

User avatar
Skadden Stairs
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Skadden Stairs » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:18 pm

FWIW, I emailed onlineapplication@seo-usa.org yesterday about the inability to access my app online, and no one has gotten back to me.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:24 pm

lex talionis wrote:FWIW, I emailed onlineapplication@seo-usa.org yesterday about the inability to access my app online, and no one has gotten back to me.


I think it took about a week to get a response from them at which point I got about three conflicting responses.

User avatar
Skadden Stairs
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Skadden Stairs » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:26 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
lex talionis wrote:FWIW, I emailed onlineapplication@seo-usa.org yesterday about the inability to access my app online, and no one has gotten back to me.


I think it took about a week to get a response from them at which point I got about three conflicting responses.

great. :?

User avatar
MissMaroon
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:01 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby MissMaroon » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:50 pm

daisyduck wrote:
MissMaroon wrote:I have been placed on the SEO waitlist, and I'm supposedly supposed to receive a decision by March 22nd. However, the strangest part of this is that I was never invited for an interview... Does anyone know how this could be?

Also, does anyone have a phone number I can call to speak to someone from SEO? I could not find one on the website. I am on "reserve" at Cornell and "hold" at Chicago, and I think it's important for SEO to know this before they reject me. I haven't been accepted to a T-14 yet, but knowing I could be a heartbeat away from it could push them to invite me to interview, right?

I'm not sure if calling them would be a good idea to go about updating them with that information, as opposed to e-mailing them.
First of all, you would be depending on the person who picks up the phone to update your file for you, whereas if you email, there will be a written record for both you and SEO.
Second, there is a reason they don't make their phone number easily available - it's probably to keep unnecessary and anxiety-ridden calls from applicants to a minimum.
So IMHO, I think you'd be better off emailing them a letter describing your reserve and hold decisions, maybe with a line or two expressing your continued interest in the program.


Thanks so much for the response! Unfortunately, I called an hour ago haha... They were pretty cold, and the man on the phone made me feel like some kind of freak for having been put on the waitlist without an interview. Then he told me to fax my reserve and hold letters to the office and he rambled off a fax number. It was one of the most awkward phone calls I've ever had.

MAIN POINT: Do NOT call SEO.

And oh, I found the number on the bottom of a brochure they sent me with the invitation to apply.

User avatar
MissMaroon
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:01 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby MissMaroon » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:51 pm

Also, Mr. No-Etiquette informed me that I would have a decision within the next two weeks.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:51 pm

MissMaroon wrote:
daisyduck wrote:
MissMaroon wrote:I have been placed on the SEO waitlist, and I'm supposedly supposed to receive a decision by March 22nd. However, the strangest part of this is that I was never invited for an interview... Does anyone know how this could be?

Also, does anyone have a phone number I can call to speak to someone from SEO? I could not find one on the website. I am on "reserve" at Cornell and "hold" at Chicago, and I think it's important for SEO to know this before they reject me. I haven't been accepted to a T-14 yet, but knowing I could be a heartbeat away from it could push them to invite me to interview, right?

I'm not sure if calling them would be a good idea to go about updating them with that information, as opposed to e-mailing them.
First of all, you would be depending on the person who picks up the phone to update your file for you, whereas if you email, there will be a written record for both you and SEO.
Second, there is a reason they don't make their phone number easily available - it's probably to keep unnecessary and anxiety-ridden calls from applicants to a minimum.
So IMHO, I think you'd be better off emailing them a letter describing your reserve and hold decisions, maybe with a line or two expressing your continued interest in the program.


Thanks so much for the response! Unfortunately, I called an hour ago haha... They were pretty cold, and the man on the phone made me feel like some kind of freak for having been put on the waitlist without an interview. Then he told me to fax my reserve and hold letters to the office and he rambled off a fax number. It was one of the most awkward phone calls I've ever had.

MAIN POINT: Do NOT call SEO.

And oh, I found the number on the bottom of a brochure they sent me with the invitation to apply.
Weird. When I called they were decent to me.

legends159
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby legends159 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:55 pm

they're usually rude.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:01 pm

legends159 wrote:they're usually rude.
Well, I mean, they definitely weren't chummy but they were professional enough and tried to help me with my question.

User avatar
TheNerdProject
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby TheNerdProject » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:12 pm

legends159 wrote:they're usually rude.

Every time I've called they've been rude, no matter how cordial I have been, and I'm a nice freaking guy. I couldn't even get the guy to confirm that they received a fax I sent and acted like I was retarded for asking. I think they really don't appreciate phone calls from candidates. The receptionist is there probably to field calls from sponsoring companies and alumni, not to deal with nuisances like us.

sammyb
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:10 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby sammyb » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:23 pm

anyone interview with mykaelia davis? shes the person who called me and set up the skype interview...she seemed accomodating enough. Im just wondering what kind of vibe she'll be giving off via the webcam interview (ugh its going to be so awkward) im doing my best to prep but I wasnt sure what type of person she was.

thanks!

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:35 pm

The consensus seems to be that they conduct stress interviews? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

daisyduck
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby daisyduck » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:15 am

Kohinoor wrote:The consensus seems to be that they conduct stress interviews? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally, I didn't really feel that they were intentionally doing a stress interview.
They were just very straightforward with their questions with no hand holding of any kind, probably because they're cooped up in the little room and do back to back interviews all day.
But they weren't rude or making me uncomfortable.

User avatar
jaen78
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:43 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby jaen78 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:23 am

Anyone know how many people were invited to interview? I know they only have about 50 internship spots....

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:34 am

jaen78 wrote:Anyone know how many people were invited to interview? I know they only have about 50 internship spots....


Dunno. Should all be over soon tho. They're supposed to be announcing it by the 22nd.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.