Anonymous User wrote:I am employed at an elite law firm and committed to a year. I am not employed in my target region. I have made a decent number of amazing connections/friends during my time here. I am a strong employee, but I am aware I've made several obvious errors during my time here due to carelessness.
I have applied to and interviewed for SEO. My SEO offer will be in my target region and school region. I have an interest in returning to this region ASAP due to a family member's health conditions.
1. Should I end my employment approx. 2 months early and accept my SEO offer (if I am given one)? Is this going to adversely impact my reputation with this firm? Will it matter if I do not plan to return (culture fit is questionable)?
2. I am interested in the SEO offer because I believe there's a strong possibility it will result in post-graduation employment. Since my current firm doesn't necessarily focus on the particular work I want to do, does it make sense to jump at the next opportunity that might provide access to the type of work I'm more interested in?
3. If I take the SEO offer, before even starting 1L, I would have two well-known firm names on my resume. Is it safe to assume this will make it easier to get a 1L SA?
1. Leave the firm for SEO. It won't look bad because of how prestigious SEO is and your firm placement.
2. Take SEO if they offer you. Period.
3. As someone else said, SEO gives you a HUGE leg-up when it comes to being a 1L SA regardless of you previous employment. Some SEO's don't apply for 1L SA positions due to other interests, but if they wanted to, I'm sure most could get a 1L SA if they tried.
PM me if you have any follow up questions.