SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:37 pm

I am employed at an elite law firm and committed to a year. I am not employed in my target region. I have made a decent number of amazing connections/friends during my time here. I am a strong employee, but I am aware I've made several obvious errors during my time here due to carelessness.

I have applied to and interviewed for SEO. My SEO offer will be in my target region and school region. I have an interest in returning to this region ASAP due to a family member's health conditions.

1. Should I end my employment approx. 2 months early and accept my SEO offer (if I am given one)? Is this going to adversely impact my reputation with this firm? Will it matter if I do not plan to return (culture fit is questionable)?

2. I am interested in the SEO offer because I believe there's a strong possibility it will result in post-graduation employment. Since my current firm doesn't necessarily focus on the particular work I want to do, does it make sense to jump at the next opportunity that might provide access to the type of work I'm more interested in?

3. If I take the SEO offer, before even starting 1L, I would have two well-known firm names on my resume. Is it safe to assume this will make it easier to get a 1L SA?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any idea of chances from a lower t14 like Cornell? Given a good interview?


Also curious about this

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any idea of chances from a lower t14 like Cornell? Given a good interview?


Also curious about this


This may seem weird, but my interview went really well, too. They asked me all of the basic questions I prepped for. I feel like even if you prepared for this interview for 15 minutes (by reading through the website) it would be pretty hard NOT to do well.

However, mine wasn't a stress interview at all. Not sure what to make of all this.

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby mandyjay11 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any idea of chances from a lower t14 like Cornell? Given a good interview?


Also curious about this


This may seem weird, but my interview went really well, too. They asked me all of the basic questions I prepped for. I feel like even if you prepared for this interview for 15 minutes (by reading through the website) it would be pretty hard NOT to do well.

However, mine wasn't a stress interview at all. Not sure what to make of all this.


What do you mean a stress interview?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
3. If I take the SEO offer, before even starting 1L, I would have two well-known firm names on my resume. Is it safe to assume this will make it easier to get a 1L SA?


Even without the other firm, being in SEO heightens your chance of getting a 1L summer SA. There are firms that give preference to SEO alums, and there are people who got 1L SAs through contacts from SEO summer networking events. There are also people who had automatic returns for 1L awaiting them at their SEO firm.

And even if you go it alone and apply to firms that don't give preference, it feels really good going on an interview and hearing that your interviewer is an alum from the program. 8)

User avatar
mt2165
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby mt2165 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:32 am

mandyjay11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any idea of chances from a lower t14 like Cornell? Given a good interview?


Also curious about this


This may seem weird, but my interview went really well, too. They asked me all of the basic questions I prepped for. I feel like even if you prepared for this interview for 15 minutes (by reading through the website) it would be pretty hard NOT to do well.

However, mine wasn't a stress interview at all. Not sure what to make of all this.


What do you mean a stress interview?


Like usually a fast paced interview where you have to think on your feet or risk looking stupid. Kinda like Socratic method in LS.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:06 pm

With regards to lower T14 - I got an interview invite and I have enrolled at Berkeley already.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:15 pm

Are interview questions posted anywhere?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:33 pm

I have been invited to interview and I have submitted my seat deposit information. Do we NEED to submit recommendations or will SEO ask for them? How does this work?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:03 pm

I received my acceptance into the program today.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I received my acceptance into the program today.


Mind saying where you deposited? or what tier?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:09 pm

Congrats!

Did you have a follow up interview? Not as much information this year about movement.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have been invited to interview and I have submitted my seat deposit information. Do we NEED to submit recommendations or will SEO ask for them? How does this work?


SEO will ask for them in a separate email.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I received my acceptance into the program today.


Mind saying where you deposited? or what tier?


yes please give us more info such as school deposited at, city you applied for, which URM you are. Congrats though!!! that's big news!

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I received my acceptance into the program today.


Mind saying where you deposited? or what tier?


yes please give us more info such as school deposited at, city you applied for, which URM you are. Congrats though!!! that's big news!



Yeah can we get more info. When did you send in your deposit?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:31 pm

mandyjay11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I received my acceptance into the program today.


Mind saying where you deposited? or what tier?


yes please give us more info such as school deposited at, city you applied for, which URM you are. Congrats though!!! that's big news!



Yeah can we get more info. When did you send in your deposit?



Sure thing!

I will attend UChicago Law School. I am a Non-URM Hispanic. I applied for an internship in New York City. I submitted my seat deposit in January. I interviewed in early March.

I hope that helps!


ETA: I did not have a follow-up interview.

Also, as a heads-up: be prepared to know the dates of all your events that could potentially conflict with your SEO Internship. Upon acceptance, they ask that you send them those dates immediately.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sure thing!

I will attend UChicago Law School. I am a Non-URM Hispanic. I applied for an internship in New York City. I submitted my seat deposit in January. I interviewed in early March.

I hope that helps!


thanks for the info! Congrats again!!

edit: one more question, is the acceptance via e-mail or call? Thanks!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:34 pm

When I interviewed my interviewer told me they'd start sending out decisions in early April

get those seat deposits in, folks

User avatar
mandyjay11
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby mandyjay11 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mandyjay11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sure thing!

I will attend UChicago Law School. I am a Non-URM Hispanic. I applied for an internship in New York City. I submitted my seat deposit in January. I interviewed in early March.

I hope that helps!


ETA: I did not have a follow-up interview.

Also, as a heads-up: be prepared to know the dates of all your events that could potentially conflict with your SEO Internship. Upon acceptance, they ask that you send them those dates immediately.


Thank you for being so helpful! Congrats!!!

User avatar
mt2165
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby mt2165 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:22 pm

Yeah thanks!

User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby BlakcMajikc » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am employed at an elite law firm and committed to a year. I am not employed in my target region. I have made a decent number of amazing connections/friends during my time here. I am a strong employee, but I am aware I've made several obvious errors during my time here due to carelessness.

I have applied to and interviewed for SEO. My SEO offer will be in my target region and school region. I have an interest in returning to this region ASAP due to a family member's health conditions.

1. Should I end my employment approx. 2 months early and accept my SEO offer (if I am given one)? Is this going to adversely impact my reputation with this firm? Will it matter if I do not plan to return (culture fit is questionable)?

2. I am interested in the SEO offer because I believe there's a strong possibility it will result in post-graduation employment. Since my current firm doesn't necessarily focus on the particular work I want to do, does it make sense to jump at the next opportunity that might provide access to the type of work I'm more interested in?

3. If I take the SEO offer, before even starting 1L, I would have two well-known firm names on my resume. Is it safe to assume this will make it easier to get a 1L SA?



1. Leave the firm for SEO. It won't look bad because of how prestigious SEO is and your firm placement.
2. Take SEO if they offer you. Period.
3. As someone else said, SEO gives you a HUGE leg-up when it comes to being a 1L SA regardless of you previous employment. Some SEO's don't apply for 1L SA positions due to other interests, but if they wanted to, I'm sure most could get a 1L SA if they tried.

PM me if you have any follow up questions.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:08 am

How much emphasis is placed on the interview versus grades/law school/app?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:24 am

Do we know how many apply for the roughly 85 spots?

User avatar
mt2165
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby mt2165 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do we know how many apply for the roughly 85 spots?


I've always wondered this...I feel like it can't be that many just thinking about the #of URM's in the t14's and the much smaller # who have to know about SEO in order to apply, if you're not deep in TLS or some similar forum or resource, how does one figure out about SEO?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:37 pm

mt2165 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do we know how many apply for the roughly 85 spots?


I've always wondered this...I feel like it can't be that many just thinking about the #of URM's in the t14's and the much smaller # who have to know about SEO in order to apply, if you're not deep in TLS or some similar forum or resource, how does one figure out about SEO?


After a bit of Linkedin stalking, I found this on the page of an SEO Law 2012 Alum:

Selected as 1 of 84 out of 750+ (350+ interviewed) applicants to participate in national pre-law program.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.