SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:52 pm

Can any past participants that got Houston speak generally on their experience? Also, do most who get Houston matriculate to Texas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can any past participants that got Houston speak generally on their experience? Also, do most who get Houston matriculate to Texas?

I wasn't in Houston but everyone who did the Houston program went to law school in Texas (though not necessarily UT). In fact, I know of someone who was planning to attend HYS and tried to get placed in Houston but was put in another city instead.

femmefatale

Postby femmefatale » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:07 pm

Does SEO typically wait until you've received LS acceptances before they extend an interview?
Submitted my app last week shortly after submitting all of my LS apps.

ChuggaChuggaChooChoo

Postby ChuggaChuggaChooChoo » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:08 pm

femmefatale wrote:Does SEO typically wait until you've received LS acceptances before they extend an interview?

I'm wondering this too

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:42 pm

I didn't get my interview until after I had a T14 acceptance, but that's obviously just anecdotal. I don't think anyone other than those in charge can know the true how/when/why, but it seems as if l, short of killer numbers, you do need a couple acceptances to schools SEO pulls from in order to interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:47 pm

femmefatale wrote:Does SEO typically wait until you've received LS acceptances before they extend an interview?

No, they do not. Invites were sent to some applicants this cycle who have yet to be accepted anywhere.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:22 pm

I'm applying next round, but I planned to take a vacation with my family this summer. How long do the internships last, and is there a precedent for interns taking a week off?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can any past participants that got Houston speak generally on their experience? Also, do most who get Houston matriculate to Texas?

Bump

lawhopeful2017

Postby lawhopeful2017 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:37 pm

Can anyone who has already had their interview share about their experience?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm applying next round, but I planned to take a vacation with my family this summer. How long do the internships last, and is there a precedent for interns taking a week off?

Sorry, no vacation. Basically lasts the entire summer (the internship & institute). Try to vacation the week before Memorial Day weekend.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I wasn't in Houston but everyone who did the Houston program went to law school in Texas (though not necessarily UT). In fact, I know of someone who was planning to attend HYS and tried to get placed in Houston but was put in another city instead.

I wasn't in Houston, but my year at least 3 of the 5/6 or so people in Houston were going to law school at HYSCCN. I am HYS and wanted Houston but was placed in a different city. The Houston class was really small so I think your ties to the city/desire to work there are very important. It's worth ranking first as it would not preclude you from placement in NY.

femmefatale

Postby femmefatale » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:53 pm

Received an e-mail earlier today from SEO saying that they are adding a new location....Atlanta.

Interesting!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:56 am

Anyone know how SEO treats double depositers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know how SEO treats double depositers?

I would assume as any law school would: a nail in the coffin. Such action will make others question your character. Besides which, it can result in a rescinded offer of admissions from both law schools.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I would assume as any law school would: a nail in the coffin. Such action will make others question your character. Besides which, it can result in a rescinded offer of admissions from both law schools.

Um, don't people double deposit all the time? And then pick one/take a waitlist offer before the second deadline?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I really don't think they care as long as you sit on your offer for too long.

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:41 pm

They will look on it VERY negatively. They really don't like people hanging out on more than one WL, so it is highly unlikely they'll be at all supportive of double depositing which 1) could get both offers revoked 2) in combination with WLs, gives them no idea where you're actually going 3) makes you look unprofessional and incredibly shady (a word that came up a lot in SEO). Don't do it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:12 am

txdude45 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know how SEO t6eats double depositers?

They will look on it VERY negatively. They really don't like people hanging out on more than one WL, so it is highly unlikely they'll be at all supportive of double depositing which 1) could get both offers revoked 2) in combination with WLs, gives them no idea where you're actually going 3) makes you look unprofessional and incredibly shady (a word that came up a lot in SEO). Don't do it.

Frankly, that's stupid. By 1) do you mean that one could get their school offer(s) revoked? Depositing at more than one school seems like a common practice. Isn't that the point of the initial deposit? 2) Some may not know where we're going. If I get into a lower T14 but am waitlisted at two T6s that I'd consider a WL offer from, I sure as hell am going to stay on those WLs.

How does that make one shady or unprofessional? Isn't that the point of a WL? And schools are aware that people double deposit, am I right?

I get that SEO is an amazing resource BUT I'm not going to bend over backwards and limit my choices because they want to know ONE school and write it down or whatever they wanna do.

If what you say is the case, that is. Jeez, people make SEO out to be this dranconian organization. Do they really want that much input into your school choices?

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:21 am

Isn't there an ABA rule that allows double deposits and frownson schools forcing students to make a choice when scholarship negotiation is happening? I knowi read that somewhere.

Maybe people are getting confused with violating ED agreements?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:18 am

accidental anon

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
txdude45 wrote:

Frankly, that's stupid. By 1) do you mean that one could get their school offer(s) revoked? Depositing at more than one school seems like a common practice. Isn't that the point of the initial deposit? 2) Some may not know where we're going. If I get into a lower T14 but am waitlisted at two T6s that I'd consider a WL offer from, I sure as hell am going to stay on those WLs.

How does that make one shady or unprofessional? Isn't that the point of a WL? And schools are aware that people double deposit, am I right?

I get that SEO is an amazing resource BUT I'm not going to bend over backwards and limit my choices because they want to know ONE school and write it down or whatever they wanna do.

If what you say is the case, that is. Jeez, people make SEO out to be this dranconian organization. Do they really want that much input into your school choices?

Whether you like it or not, I was told that they don't like you being on multiple WLs. I was considering staying on 2 and didn't because it was clear they viewed that unfavorably.

As far as the rest, a reasonably close reading would make it very clear that my numbered comments were about double depositing, which is NOT a common practice. The deposit is saying to the school, "Yes, I've decided to come to your school." It's how they know how many people to pull of the WL and start to figure out other crap. If the practice was common, deposit deadlines would lose all meaning and adcoms wouldn't be able to accurately project their matriculation numbers.

Furthermore, schools do know when you've double deposited and all warn that doing so can result in them revoking your offer (and you losing the deposit) because you're screwing up their process. If you need a few more days to make a choice, ask and you might get it. Double depositing makes you look shady as hell and it will not be well received by anyone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:26 am

Each year, LSAC provides participating law schools with periodic reports detailing the number of applicants who have submitted seat deposits or commitments at other participating schools, along with identification of those other schools. Beginning May 15 each year, these reports now also include the names and LSAC account numbers for all candidates who have deposits/commitments at multiple participating schools.

From the LSAC website.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:32 am

txdude45 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
txdude45 wrote:

Whether you like it or not, I was told that they don't like you being on multiple WLs. I was considering staying on 2 and didn't because it was clear they viewed that unfavorably.

As far as the rest, a reasonably close reading would make it very clear that my numbered comments were about double depositing, which is NOT a common practice. The deposit is saying to the school, "Yes, I've decided to come to your school." It's how they know how many people to pull of the WL and start to figure out other crap. If the practice was common, deposit deadlines would lose all meaning and adcoms wouldn't be able to accurately project their matriculation numbers.

Furthermore, schools do know when you've double deposited and all warn that doing so can result in them revoking your offer (and you losing the deposit) because you're screwing up their process. If you need a few more days to make a choice, ask and you might get it. Double depositing makes you look shady as hell and it will not be well received by anyone.

From the way describe them, SEO must not like puppies and sunshine either. The WL policy is stupid. I'm not sure why they would care as long as the schools in question are sufficiently prestigious.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:57 am

Don't know about double deposits but in my year, multiple people end up changing schools during SEO and after submitting deposits. SEO did not care at all, nor do they know how many WLs you are even on. Most schools in the top 50 or so don't require a deposit until after acceptance from WL. You just deposit at one school and stay on the wait list at others.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:27 pm

Does anyone know what the chances are of getting an SEO? How many apply, how many are interviewed, how many get placed? Just wondering what the chances are. Thanks a bunch!

Return to “Legal Employment”