SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
daisyduck

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby daisyduck » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:25 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
I'm supposed to hear back soon. It will not be a happy day but at least I'll have closure.

I thought they let you know on their decision only after you send the enrollment form in (when they know for sure where you're going)... am I mistaken?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:29 pm

daisyduck wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
I'm supposed to hear back soon. It will not be a happy day but at least I'll have closure.

I thought they let you know on their decision only after you send the enrollment form in (when they know for sure where you're going)... am I mistaken?

I thought so too. I've received several emails from them with varying information.

magnumxlv

Postby magnumxlv » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:27 pm

Just got invited to interview today after nearly a month and a half after applying so don't give up hope if you're still waiting! I'm South Asian-American with a 3.49/174 for anyone curious, btw.

Interview is with Mekaelia Davis. Anyone have experience with her in particular and/or general interview advice?

jaen78

Postby jaen78 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:50 pm

Where do most people stay for the internship in New York? Dorms? Hostels? Do you just have to take a cab to your firm every day? I feel like this could really add up. I'm wondering how much take-home pay interns even get after they pay for room, board and transportation.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:24 pm

jaen78 wrote:Where do most people stay for the internship in New York? Dorms? Hostels? Do you just have to take a cab to your firm every day? I feel like this could really add up. I'm wondering how much take-home pay interns even get after they pay for room, board and transportation.
Friends or family or you rent. Dorms no and hostels definitely not. You take the train to work like everybody else. If you're paying rent you won't save much but the point of SEO isn't money anyway.

meesawoosa

Postby meesawoosa » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:41 am

Actually dorms yes.

NYU Summer Housing is a good deal if you can get it before space fills up. School of Visual Arts also rents out dorms for the summer, as does Columbia. I believe another school (something like Marymount(?)) rents out rooms for the summer through a company called "educational housing" or something like that.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:56 am

meesawoosa wrote:Actually dorms yes.

NYU Summer Housing is a good deal if you can get it before space fills up. School of Visual Arts also rents out dorms for the summer, as does Columbia. I believe another school (something like Marymount(?)) rents out rooms for the summer through a company called "educational housing" or something like that.

Either we're looking at different rates or you've lived in NY too long.

meesawoosa

Postby meesawoosa » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:42 am

Haha I've actually never lived in NYC, but I suppose some of West LA's housing rates are just as bad...

But really - considering the location in Greenwich Village, which I think is great - NYU dorms are actually pretty reasonably priced. The non air conditioned traditional rooms, especially. Lack of AC in the summer sucks, but I've done it for a couple summers and always survived. And since you'd be out interning in a nice cool office during the hottest hours, definitely bearable. Plus you get the 24-hr security, access to the gyms/other facilities, wireless, etc. and you wouldn't have to worry about legal battles with landlords, which always suck bigtime. That's why NYU's summer housing always fills up so fast though.

alexb240

Postby alexb240 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:00 am

NYU summer housing is very popular and seems to be worth the price. Take the subway to work.
Good luck to all SEO applicants!

Skadden Stairs

Postby Skadden Stairs » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:02 am

alexb240 wrote:NYU summer housing is very popular and seems to be worth the price. Take the subway to work.
Good luck to all SEO applicants!

Oooh are you back?

alexb240

Postby alexb240 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:15 am

I wouldn't necessarily say I'm back. More like, just dropping by. ;-)

Mike le magne

Postby Mike le magne » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:27 am

Alex when does the SEO program begin and end? I was under the impression that NYU housing only goes until the first week of August- won't SEO run longer than that? Thanks

alexb240

Postby alexb240 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:37 am

Don't know off the top of my head -- it may actually depend on your firm. The only thing I know is that there were several SEOs stayed in NYU housing. Maybe they couch-surfed the final week? I honestly don't know.

KP429

Postby KP429 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:17 pm

To tinkerbelle010:

Your PMs are disabled somehow so I can't reply to the one you sent, haha.

jaen78

Postby jaen78 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:23 pm

Anyone else interviewing in NYC on the 26th?

jaen78

Postby jaen78 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:10 pm

I noticed that a few of the SEO partner firms have offices in the city I'd ultimately like to practice in (Not NYC.) If I end up getting the SEO internship and working at one of those firms, would that make it easier to get a job at their office in my city of choice during my 1L summer (assuming they hire 1L summer associates)?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:29 pm

jaen78 wrote:I noticed that a few of the SEO partner firms have offices in the city I'd ultimately like to practice in (Not NYC.) If I end up getting the SEO internship and working at one of those firms, would that make it easier to get a job at their office in my city of choice during my 1L summer (assuming they hire 1L summer associates)?
Yes.

Skadden Stairs

Postby Skadden Stairs » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:58 pm

So I just tried to update my schools online and couldn't edit my application... anyone else?

jaen78

Postby jaen78 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:10 pm

lex talionis wrote:So I just tried to update my schools online and couldn't edit my application... anyone else?

Yup, I had the same problem. Maybe their website is having issues.

magnumxlv

Postby magnumxlv » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:42 pm

jaen78 wrote:
lex talionis wrote:So I just tried to update my schools online and couldn't edit my application... anyone else?

Yea, I have the same problem. Have you guys already been selected to interview as well?

I think they might close off the school update once they plan to interview you.

Skadden Stairs

Postby Skadden Stairs » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:47 pm

magnumxlv wrote:
jaen78 wrote:

Yea, I have the same problem. Have you guys already been selected to interview as well?

Interviewed a month ago and have updated it a few times since :?

jaen78

Postby jaen78 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:41 pm

magnumxlv wrote:
jaen78 wrote:

Yes, I've already been selected for an interview. However, I think in the invitation email it mentioned making sure your school list was updated, so I don't know if that's the cause of the problem.

sammyb

Postby sammyb » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:48 pm

Hey guys,

I applied back in Feb (with really really low numbers compared to some: GPA 3.16/LSAT 157) but I got a response the next day with an invite to interview. I dont live close by to DC or NYC and work full time and can't really afford to fly out to interview so I forgot all about it. Today a recruiter called me and asked me if I was still interested and I told her I couldnt fly out and she said I could do a skype interivew (NOT a phone interview though) so awk, I guess they really care how you look and dress, but that aside.

I was wondering if any of you had a similar experience? Im not going to get into a T14 school and they should know that so Im thinking its a waste of my time, but still. Have any of you done an interview via skype?

Also, during the interview is the article portion related to any specific news? I'm a bit wary of doing this via skype and was hoping for any tips on how to prepare? Ive searched the threads for people who have already interviewed but if you wouldn't mind sending along other specific questions they ask I'd be eternally grateful.

I'm sure it'll be a waste of time but I want to do the best I can nonetheless.

thanks guys!

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:15 pm

When that webcam starts rolling you should be in a neat environment wearing a suit/dress with a pen in front of you.

NightVision

Postby NightVision » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:27 pm

Hello. Longtime lurker here :D

I have a question for those of you that were having problems updating the partner firm section. Did you figure out how to update it? I still can't figure out how to do it.

Return to “Legal Employment”