SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
helterskelter
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:25 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby helterskelter » Sun May 05, 2013 4:01 pm

I withdrew my application months ago and didn't go through interviews since I realized my top choices and goals--I've always been interested in a free, not necessarily prestigious, degree and a public service career--didn't really jibe with SEO's desire for bragging rights. Out of the blue, I received a rejection. So, SEO, I just want to reiterate that I broke up with you first.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 05, 2013 4:05 pm

51 people in an email that just went out to accepted NYC people. Take that how you will.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 05, 2013 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:51 people in an email that just went out to accepted NYC people. Take that how you will.


Should be another 20 or so to go, then, is what I'd take from it. TY for the info.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 05, 2013 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yes. Dinged too. CCN.


That's surprising. I remember hearing that HYSCCN admits are shoo-ins for SEO.


I was OP on your quote. Not anymore. I 'm not AA or Latino, so not the most disadvantaged minority either to be fair, and my original interviewer unfortunately highlighted that as a "negative" on my application. It makes sense, but I was a little surprised it was so blatant.

So I've been expecting a ding for some time now (although I did get a follow-up), but rejection's never fun either.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2013 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:51 people in an email that just went out to accepted NYC people. Take that how you will.


Should be another 20 or so to go, then, is what I'd take from it. TY for the info.


Not to be a buzzkill, but doesn't 20 seem kind of high? If there are 90-ish acceptances total on the table and 51 are already accepted to NYC, I'd probably assume that the other 40 or so are gonna be distributed among D.C., Bay Area, Los Angeles and Texas, w/ about 10 ppl per city. I'd think that this means NYC is pretty much closed, with the exception of a handful of people.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2013 6:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:51 people in an email that just went out to accepted NYC people. Take that how you will.


Should be another 20 or so to go, then, is what I'd take from it. TY for the info.


Not to be a buzzkill, but doesn't 20 seem kind of high? If there are 90-ish acceptances total on the table and 51 are already accepted to NYC, I'd probably assume that the other 40 or so are gonna be distributed among D.C., Bay Area, Los Angeles and Texas, w/ about 10 ppl per city. I'd think that this means NYC is pretty much closed, with the exception of a handful of people.


I thought so too.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2013 10:30 am

This wait is killer. People at work keep asking me when I'm going to know so they can schedule...

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby subtle » Tue May 07, 2013 11:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:This wait is killer. People at work keep asking me when I'm going to know so they can schedule...



Still nothing???

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2013 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This wait is killer. People at work keep asking me when I'm going to know so they can schedule...


Yep same, I was hoping to hear something soon after the dings last weekend.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 09, 2013 12:02 pm

Does everyone get a rejection notice?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 13, 2013 5:44 pm

.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:15 am

Alumni:

Can you tell us some more about CLI? It's basically classroom type learning, right?
What are the hours? Is it just like a job? (9-5)? Longer? Shorter? Varied?

Any tips for performing well and enjoying it?

Thanks!!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yes. Dinged too. CCN.


That's surprising. I remember hearing that HYSCCN admits are shoo-ins for SEO.


I was OP on your quote. Not anymore. I 'm not AA or Latino, so not the most disadvantaged minority either to be fair, and my original interviewer unfortunately highlighted that as a "negative" on my application. It makes sense, but I was a little surprised it was so blatant.

So I've been expecting a ding for some time now (although I did get a follow-up), but rejection's never fun either.


I wouldn't feel bad about this. Out of the ENTIRE class (like 80 people, 50? not sure) there was ONE asian woman. So clearly a program for AA and Latinos/Hispanic people.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yes. Dinged too. CCN.


That's surprising. I remember hearing that HYSCCN admits are shoo-ins for SEO.


I was OP on your quote. Not anymore. I 'm not AA or Latino, so not the most disadvantaged minority either to be fair, and my original interviewer unfortunately highlighted that as a "negative" on my application. It makes sense, but I was a little surprised it was so blatant.

So I've been expecting a ding for some time now (although I did get a follow-up), but rejection's never fun either.


I wouldn't feel bad about this. Out of the ENTIRE class (like 80 people, 50? not sure) there was ONE asian woman. So clearly a program for AA and Latinos/Hispanic people.


There are three Asian girls in this year's program, btw.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:55 pm

The program definitely focuses on Blacks and Latinos, I don't think that is debatable.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:07 am

so do asians qualify for this program in appreciable numbers?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:so do asians qualify for this program in appreciable numbers?


No. This year asians were only 3.5% of the class. No excuse not to try though, as the odds aren't 0%.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:so do asians qualify for this program in appreciable numbers?


No. This year asians were only 3.5% of the class. No excuse not to try though, as the odds aren't 0%.



True. I think three is more than in some recent years. There are probably some things that you can do to increase your chances.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:39 pm

3 counts as a high? out of how many? 50 or 80?

also, what can you do to increase your chances if not AA/NA/H?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:3 counts as a high? out of how many? 50 or 80?

also, what can you do to increase your chances if not AA/NA/H?


Since white isn't an option, why not just say Asian?

1) Have a good interview
2) Deposit at a school that places well in the market you pref'd (i.e. NYC, LA, TX, DC, etc.)
3) Have a personality. Everyone I met this summer went out and partied and were fun to talk to. If you're an introvert and can't schmooze, it probably isn't gonna work out
4) Take the interview and every other interaction with SEO staff seriously, at least until you get the gig.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else based on my limited knowledge. Granted, the process is very opaque and there isn't really an exact formula. Given that Asians don't get much representation, my advice would be to kill it. T6 is probably mandatory. Of the 2 Asians I can think of off the top of my head, they were going to a HYS and a CCN.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:57 am

There were three out of 80+ total students.

In addition to what was said above, try your best to convey a strong sense of community in your resume and in your interviews. Giving back is a huge theme for SEO.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3 counts as a high? out of how many? 50 or 80?

also, what can you do to increase your chances if not AA/NA/H?


Since white isn't an option, why not just say Asian?

1) Have a good interview
2) Deposit at a school that places well in the market you pref'd (i.e. NYC, LA, TX, DC, etc.)
3) Have a personality. Everyone I met this summer went out and partied and were fun to talk to. If you're an introvert and can't schmooze, it probably isn't gonna work out
4) Take the interview and every other interaction with SEO staff seriously, at least until you get the gig.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else based on my limited knowledge. Granted, the process is very opaque and there isn't really an exact formula. Given that Asians don't get much representation, my advice would be to kill it. T6 is probably mandatory. Of the 2 Asians I can think of off the top of my head, they were going to a HYS and a CCN.


How do you demonstrate that you have a personality while remaining serious during the interview?

How much do you think it's an applicant pool thing, i.e., not many asians think they'd qualify so only 10 or 15 apply a year?

Is 3/year typical?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:46 pm

No idea how many apply, though, if I had to bet, I wouldn't bet that it's a function of the applicant pool.

I'm going to assume that you're Asian, hence so much interest. So just apply. There's nothing to say that you won't be one of those three, so what do you have to lose?

Not sure if it's typical or not.

As for showing personality in the interview: It will come across in how you carry yourself, the questions that you ask, the way that you speak to people. Be the most professional version of yourself possible, but under no circumstances should you be anyone other than yourself.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No idea how many apply, though, if I had to bet, I wouldn't bet that it's a function of the applicant pool.

I'm going to assume that you're Asian, hence so much interest. So just apply. There's nothing to say that you won't be one of those three, so what do you have to lose?

Not sure if it's typical or not.

As for showing personality in the interview: It will come across in how you carry yourself, the questions that you ask, the way that you speak to people. Be the most professional version of yourself possible, but under no circumstances should you be anyone other than yourself.


how I carry myself & the way I speak to people sound like the same thing. to borrow an analogy I saw in another recent thread, you can carry yourself like D-howard or like kobe. How exactly does carrying yourself like kobe tell SEO that you're the type to schmooze and go out and party?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No idea how many apply, though, if I had to bet, I wouldn't bet that it's a function of the applicant pool.

I'm going to assume that you're Asian, hence so much interest. So just apply. There's nothing to say that you won't be one of those three, so what do you have to lose?

Not sure if it's typical or not.

As for showing personality in the interview: It will come across in how you carry yourself, the questions that you ask, the way that you speak to people. Be the most professional version of yourself possible, but under no circumstances should you be anyone other than yourself.


how I carry myself & the way I speak to people sound like the same thing. to borrow an analogy I saw in another recent thread, you can carry yourself like D-howard or like kobe. How exactly does carrying yourself like kobe tell SEO that you're the type to schmooze and go out and party?


I think you're over thinking this. I also don't think you should be conveying that you like to go out and party. You should be showing that you're personable and can read social cues.

Also, someone who is not me is going to have to help you out with that sports metaphor.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.