SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:15 pm

txdude45 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
txdude45 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Agreed. Not 100% sure but it looks like if your first interview wasn't with a key decision maker for the law program, you get a follow-up interview. Don't fret!

Simple solution (since I'm also a Luisa interviewee): has anyone ITT who interviewed with Luisa received a follow up?

Yes

Wait, actually? Was your first one bad?

I don't believe it was particularly bad, but I didn't feel great about it. I had an interesting circumstance (and sharing it would out me) that kind of shook my confidence in the interview. But, I'm my own worst critic. In the end, however, I did receive a second interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

If it was bad he probably wouldn't have gotten a follow-up.

Do you think receiving a follow-up may also have to do with whether our initial interview was early or late in the process?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Do you think receiving a follow-up may also have to do with whether our initial interview was early or late in the process?

I think this could play a factor as well...then again who knows? ughh Any other Luisa initial interview peeps with a follow up?

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I was just saying that, assuming the others who interviewed with Luisa were equally qualified candidates, that they got a second interview means 1 of 2 things. 1) second interviews are needed and those without are out 2) second interviews after Luisa aren't necessary and there may have been something about the individual that SEO felt needed more exploration.

Based on their reply and discomfort with their first interview, it would seem #2 is correct and those who interviewed with Luisa and haven't gotten a second interview are still fine and not out of it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:07 pm

Wait, actually? Was your first one bad?[/quote]

I don't believe it was particularly bad, but I didn't feel great about it. I had an interesting circumstance (and sharing it would out me) that kind of shook my confidence in the interview. But, I'm my own worst critic. In the end, however, I did receive a second interview.[/quote][/quote]

Would saying when you interviewed out you as well? Trying to see if you were earlier in the process...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wait, actually? Was your first one bad?

I don't believe it was particularly bad, but I didn't feel great about it. I had an interesting circumstance (and sharing it would out me) that kind of shook my confidence in the interview. But, I'm my own worst critic. In the end, however, I did receive a second interview.[/quote][/quote]

Would saying when you interviewed out you as well? Trying to see if you were earlier in the process...[/quote]

If you go unanon, I will PM you my story.

ledbyfaithnotsight06

Postby ledbyfaithnotsight06 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:12 pm

To the person with the story, can you pm me please! Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:07 pm

There was an alumni earlier who posted and said that people who don't get second interviews rarely get into the program .

Thing is, last year people were getting follow ups and acceptances at the 11th hour. So don't worry yet if you havent gotten one

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There was an alumni earlier who posted and said that people who don't get second interviews rarely get into the program .

Thing is, last year people were getting follow ups and acceptances at the 11th hour. So don't worry yet if you havent gotten one

But last year it seemed like acceptances generally started alot later than they seem to have this year... I don't know, but def trying to remain positive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There was an alumni earlier who posted and said that people who don't get second interviews rarely get into the program .

Alum 2012 here, confirming 11th hour acceptances. Applied Jan/Feb/March (can't remember). Radio-silence on their end until late April. Initial interview first week of May, no follow-up, and well...I'm an alum, so it worked out!

Not saying this is typical. I'm just saying keep your heads up and don't give up hope! If you don't get in, don't be discouraged. You're still going to law school, and you'll still be able to do whatever it is you want to do.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Alum 2012 here, confirming 11th hour acceptances. Applied Jan/Feb/March (can't remember). Radio-silence on their end until late April. Initial interview first week of May, no follow-up, and well...I'm an alum, so it worked out!

Not saying this is typical. I'm just saying keep your heads up and don't give up hope! If you don't get in, don't be discouraged. You're still going to law school, and you'll still be able to do whatever it is you want to do.

Last year, they also had to make up for Dewey closing and if I recall correctly, the firm used to take a decent amount of SEO associates.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:25 pm

Do they call or email first for acceptance notifications?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do they call or email first for acceptance notifications?

Raven. Then email if you miss that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:41 pm

to the person who said Raven: you made my day hahah

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:25 pm

2 more wks to go, this intense process will b over......

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:41 pm

Any follow up requests go out recently? Like in the past couple of days?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:27 am

So, as the time draws nearer to start law school I find myself wanting to spend one last summer with my family and friends. Who here wants to remind me why if I'm accepted to SEO it would be irresponsible not to go?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:So, as the time draws nearer to start law school I find myself wanting to spend one last summer with my family and friends. Who here wants to remind me why if I'm accepted to SEO it would be irresponsible not to go?

You can cruise through TT and see alum after alum talk about how it was the best move they could make for their future career. You're talking about a program that lets 0Ls work at V25 firms. When those V25 firms decide they may take on a couple 1L SAs, you think they're more likely to hire the people with 1 semester of grades, or someone who has grades and they already know?

Apparently the SEO network is absurd and, when you think about the constant rush for diversity hiring, if the SEO alums can put their weight behind you, that's huge. The feeling I've gotten is that if you get SEO, all you have left to do to pretty much guarantee V50 employment is not fuck up your grades. You don't have to kill it, just don't embarrass yourself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, as the time draws nearer to start law school I find myself wanting to spend one last summer with my family and friends. Who here wants to remind me why if I'm accepted to SEO it would be irresponsible not to go?

You can cruise through TT and see alum after alum talk about how it was the best move they could make for their future career. You're talking about a program that lets 0Ls work at V25 firms. When those V25 firms decide they may take on a couple 1L SAs, you think they're more likely to hire the people with 1 semester of grades, or someone who has grades and they already know?

Apparently the SEO network is absurd and, when you think about the constant rush for diversity hiring, if the SEO alums can put their weight behind you, that's huge. The feeling I've gotten is that if you get SEO, all you have left to do to pretty much guarantee V50 employment is not fuck up your grades. You don't have to kill it, just don't embarrass yourself.

I also think this depends on the school you're headed for...

HYS? SEO is really not a big deal IMO. You'll get biglaw anyways.

CCNP - again, you'll probably get biglaw anyways.

Rest of the T13 - Biglaw is probable and quite likely but here SEO may add a little value.

Outside of the T13 - here's where the real value is.... if you get SEO from say GW or something, well you may have secured your chances at biglaw from a school where usually only 20% of the class can attain that outcome. And presumably you may have done it with a lower debt load. In that situation SEO is too good of a deal to pass up on.

Of course, it seems to be harder to get into the program from outside the T13.

EDIT: Having said that I love SEO and would do anything to get it regardless of school I'm heading for!!! :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:46 pm

ummm you get paid a SHITTON of money? I think Wachtell or Cravath pays their associates like 3,000 a WEEK! Sure that's before taxes, and it might be a lot less, but worse case scenario, you still make so much money.
Not to mention the invaluable connections and attorneys you get to meet during the cocktail parties and firm events....you basically get to live THE LIFE for the summer (well obviously work hard play hard)
And, for those who care, the chance to apply for a judicial clerkship after 1L??
Person: you need to know most law students would KILL for an opportunity like SEO. If you don't wanna take it, please step out and let other future senators and judges take it instead

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:ummm you get paid a SHITTON of money? I think Wachtell or Cravath pays their associates like 3,000 a WEEK! Sure that's before taxes, and it might be a lot less, but worse case scenario, you still make so much money.
Not to mention the invaluable connections and attorneys you get to meet during the cocktail parties and firm events....you basically get to live THE LIFE for the summer (well obviously work hard play hard)
And, for those who care, the chance to apply for a judicial clerkship after 1L??
Person: you need to know most law students would KILL for an opportunity like SEO. If you don't wanna take it, please step out and let other future senators and judges take it instead

I thought SEO interns were paid 1,000 a week. I mean you are a 0L, why would they pay the full SA price?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:57 pm

If anyone's heard ANYTHING this week... please step forward...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:ummm you get paid a SHITTON of money? I think Wachtell or Cravath pays their associates like 3,000 a WEEK! Sure that's before taxes, and it might be a lot less, but worse case scenario, you still make so much money.

I thought SEO interns were paid 1,000 a week. I mean you are a 0L, why would they pay the full SA price?

Because they pay everyone who is gonna be a lawyer and works for them pro-rated 1st year pay. SEO brings them some of the best diversity applicants out there, many of which will be the best diversity potential hires. They want to employ you, so greasing the wheels a little goes a long way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If anyone's heard ANYTHING this week... please step forward...

Dinged. Their loss

Btw - one interview in January, nothing else

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If anyone's heard ANYTHING this week... please step forward...

Dinged. Their loss

Btw - one interview in January, nothing else

Thanks. Good luck this fall!

Return to “Legal Employment”