SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
facile princeps
Posts: 420
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby facile princeps » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:32 pm

I'm in. Good luck to the rest of you :)

Anonymous User
Posts: 306849
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:39 pm

Here we go...

Anonymous User
Posts: 306849
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:40 pm

We have no way of sharing anything with each other anymore.

Anonymous User
Posts: 306849
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:42 pm

Oh wow, I didn't think people would begin to hear back for at least another 2-3 weeks. Here we go indeed!

Anonymous User
Posts: 306849
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:46 pm

facile princeps wrote:I'm in. Good luck to the rest of you :)


Congrats!

Anonymous User
Posts: 306849
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:55 pm

facile princeps wrote:I'm in. Good luck to the rest of you :)


CONGRATS DUDE!

Anonymous User
Posts: 306849
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:01 pm

facile princeps wrote:I'm in. Good luck to the rest of you :)


Congrats!

User avatar
facile princeps
Posts: 420
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby facile princeps » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:17 pm

Thanks y'all <3

Anonymous User
Posts: 306849
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:23 pm

So how worried should we be :(

User avatar
txdude45
Posts: 912
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby txdude45 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:26 pm

I haven't deposited yet, but I'm going to Columbia unless I hit one of my hail marys (Harvard/Stanford). If I relayed this to them, would that suffice, or is it an absolute no go until you put a deposit down?

Anonymous User
Posts: 306849
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:26 pm

txdude45 wrote:I haven't deposited yet, but I'm going to Columbia unless I hit one of my hail marys (Harvard/Stanford). If I relayed this to them, would that suffice, or is it an absolute no go until you put a deposit down?

you need to deposit

Anonymous User
Posts: 306849
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:40 pm

facile princeps wrote:Thanks y'all <3


How long ago did you notify them of your deposit?

Anonymous User
Posts: 306849
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
facile princeps wrote:Thanks y'all <3


How long ago did you notify them of your deposit?



+1

Anonymous User
Posts: 306849
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:51 pm

I'm in as well, been in for a bit but want to remain anon. The best advice I can give is do NOT annoy them. I had the two interviews, and mailed them my transcript and LOR. do not contact them unless they contact you first, there's not a lot of people working in that office and the last thing you want to do is sound needy and obnoxious.
Also, I got the impression that it all comes down to where you deposit, and obviously, you need to have deposited somewhere to be under consideration for the program.

User avatar
facile princeps
Posts: 420
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby facile princeps » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
facile princeps wrote:Thanks y'all <3


How long ago did you notify them of your deposit?

Less than a week ago.

Is there a good reason for everyone posting anonymously? I understand the idea of not wanting to out yourself, but without discussing your market, and even more specifically, who you interviewed with and where you're going, what's the point? Especially if you're just asking a general question without providing any info on your part.

Then again, maybe y'all are paranoid about the SEO reps frequenting the boards (which they most certainly do). Oh well, I'm a tad bit crass at times (after all, the boards aren't exactly a professional arena), so I hope if anyone makes me, they'll be unwavering in their apparent support for my professional/academic merits. Maybe I should have remained anon, too, but too late for that now :| .

User avatar
hyakku
Posts: 583
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby hyakku » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:18 pm

^ Eh, they outted me last year and didn't care at all. As long as you aren't spreading false information or intentionally trying to screw anyone over they're not going to be upset. You all are going to be part of a network soon anyway, so you might as well get used to helping each other out and sharing info. Also, met a couple of people in / in the final rounds and so they're definitely making movement. Gotta +1 to the guy who said not to annoy them though, they've got a small staff and it sucks to have to wait, but aggravating the shit out of them isn't going to help.

Edit: Rofl, I remember the fb thing though. Didn't even get to join that group before that got shut down.

Edit 2: Oh, and unfortunately yea, you need to have a deposit before they're willing to commit. I think that's a judgment call; if you've got the money to spend or the school offers a refund up until a certain point, I would submit and just ensure them that you only intend to trade up if you do get in off WLs (and they understand with apps down, especially meritorious minority apps, that WL action can literally be happening 2 weeks before LS starts). If you can't (I couldn't swing that, thankfully the school I originally committed to offered refunds), then you've unfortunately gotta wait until you know where you want to go.

A suggestion though, if you know you want to go somewhere for sure and you're just waiting to pay a deposit, you might want to contact the admissions office. I know I was able to get my last deposit waived by submitting proof that I withdrew from all the WLs / other acceptances I had received. Good luck guys.

Anonymous User
Posts: 306849
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:33 pm

hyakku wrote:^ Eh, they outted me last year and didn't care at all. As long as you aren't spreading false information or intentionally trying to screw anyone over they're not going to be upset. You all are going to be part of a network soon anyway, so you might as well get used to helping each other out and sharing info. Also, met a couple of people in / in the final rounds and so they're definitely making movement. Gotta +1 to the guy who said not to annoy them though, they've got a small staff and it sucks to have to wait, but aggravating the shit out of them isn't going to help.

Edit: Rofl, I remember the fb thing though. Didn't even get to join that group before that got shut down.

Edit 2: Oh, and unfortunately yea, you need to have a deposit before they're willing to commit. I think that's a judgment call; if you've got the money to spend or the school offers a refund up until a certain point, I would submit and just ensure them that you only intend to trade up if you do get in off WLs (and they understand with apps down, especially meritorious minority apps, that WL action can literally be happening 2 weeks before LS starts). If you can't (I couldn't swing that, thankfully the school I originally committed to offered refunds), then you've unfortunately gotta wait until you know where you want to go.

A suggestion though, if you know you want to go somewhere for sure and you're just waiting to pay a deposit, you might want to contact the admissions office. I know I was able to get my last deposit waived by submitting proof that I withdrew from all the WLs / other acceptances I had received. Good luck guys.


Ty man. I sent a brief email just updating my admit/WL situation. Very brief. Hope it didn't bother them but :/

Anonymous User
Posts: 306849
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:45 pm

facile princeps wrote:I'm in. Good luck to the rest of you :)


How long ago did you interview? Thanks!

User avatar
txdude45
Posts: 912
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby txdude45 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
facile princeps wrote:I'm in. Good luck to the rest of you :)


How long ago did you interview? Thanks!


Also, 1, or 2 interviews?

User avatar
facile princeps
Posts: 420
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby facile princeps » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:54 pm

txdude45 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
facile princeps wrote:I'm in. Good luck to the rest of you :)


How long ago did you interview? Thanks!


Also, 1, or 2 interviews?

Two. The second of which was around two weeks ago (I think the first was some time in February).

User avatar
hyakku
Posts: 583
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby hyakku » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
hyakku wrote:^ Eh, they outted me last year and didn't care at all. As long as you aren't spreading false information or intentionally trying to screw anyone over they're not going to be upset. You all are going to be part of a network soon anyway, so you might as well get used to helping each other out and sharing info. Also, met a couple of people in / in the final rounds and so they're definitely making movement. Gotta +1 to the guy who said not to annoy them though, they've got a small staff and it sucks to have to wait, but aggravating the shit out of them isn't going to help.

Edit: Rofl, I remember the fb thing though. Didn't even get to join that group before that got shut down.

Edit 2: Oh, and unfortunately yea, you need to have a deposit before they're willing to commit. I think that's a judgment call; if you've got the money to spend or the school offers a refund up until a certain point, I would submit and just ensure them that you only intend to trade up if you do get in off WLs (and they understand with apps down, especially meritorious minority apps, that WL action can literally be happening 2 weeks before LS starts). If you can't (I couldn't swing that, thankfully the school I originally committed to offered refunds), then you've unfortunately gotta wait until you know where you want to go.

A suggestion though, if you know you want to go somewhere for sure and you're just waiting to pay a deposit, you might want to contact the admissions office. I know I was able to get my last deposit waived by submitting proof that I withdrew from all the WLs / other acceptances I had received. Good luck guys.


Ty man. I sent a brief email just updating my admit/WL situation. Very brief. Hope it didn't bother them but :/


Nah, I wouldn't worry about that. Updating them about that is relevant to your app, especially if it has something to do with seat deposits. I don't want to freak you guys out and make you think you can't speak to them period, I just don't want any of you dinged because you sent bi-weekly emails asking for an update because you would "really like to make summer plans" or something.

Like I said, it's balls having to wait, especially if you're in the later rounds, but I personally think it's an invaluable experience with connections you won't get anywhere and provides perspective going into LS that still is probably one of the most vital things I've learned about the legal world. I doubt there's very much you can do before going to LS that's better for your future career prospects, and you'll still have some time after to travel (depending on when your school starts anywhere from 1-3 weeks IIRC), so I'd try to wait it out as long as you can.

Also, very few people get in with 1 interview, and I believe these tend to occur more towards the end, although I can't speak to that as I only remember some anecdotal stuff. I think the 2 (and possibly three I heard) interviews are standard. After my skype interview I think I had sent in a deposit relatively soon after and heard back about 2-4 weeks later (I want to say like 2.5 but I really can't remember. If I really need to hide from this brief some more i'll check my old emails).

Anonymous User
Posts: 306849
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:16 pm

If I'm sitting on just 1 SEO interview and in at CCN, should I just deposit now? I have a Harvard interview next week, but I'm pretty sure depositing at Columbia still lets me keep open applications for which I don't have a decision. Is this unwise?

User avatar
hyakku
Posts: 583
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby hyakku » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If I'm sitting on just 1 SEO interview and in at CCN, should I just deposit now? I have a Harvard interview next week, but I'm pretty sure depositing at Columbia still lets me keep open applications for which I don't have a decision. Is this unwise?


Do you recall who your 1 SEO interview was with? Depending on who it was you could potentially be one of the 1 interview people. TBH, the best thing to do would be to be honest with yourself introspectively about your interview, your background experience, etc. If you think you did well, have some type of experience that might make them want you a lot, etc. AND you can spare the money then I don't think it will hurt.

That said, it's hard to be brutally honest with yourself, and so I know it's still gonna be a game time call for you. I'm pretty sure (i didn't do the HYS application thing so I can't be 100%) that an interview though does mean you have a good shot (and last year a metric shit ton of people got off WLs everywhere from HYSCCNMVPD in the last like two weeks) at Harvard though, so keep that in mind.

Also, if you DO plan to go to CLS and you've got the grades to at least get an interview at H, you might want to refrain from submitting a deposit so that you can negotiate scholly money. Not sure how generous CLS is (I withdrew from CLS and NYU to waive my deposit fee here) but if you haven't gotten money yet and haven't even attempted to negotiate (AND ALL OF YOU SHOULD BE NEGOTIATING CASH), I'd probably refrain from making that deposit.

Edit: This thread is really helping me avoid this damn brief.

Anonymous User
Posts: 306849
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:32 pm

hyakku wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If I'm sitting on just 1 SEO interview and in at CCN, should I just deposit now? I have a Harvard interview next week, but I'm pretty sure depositing at Columbia still lets me keep open applications for which I don't have a decision. Is this unwise?


Do you recall who your 1 SEO interview was with? Depending on who it was you could potentially be one of the 1 interview people. TBH, the best thing to do would be to be honest with yourself introspectively about your interview, your background experience, etc. If you think you did well, have some type of experience that might make them want you a lot, etc. AND you can spare the money then I don't think it will hurt.


My interview was with Luisa Ewing, if that helps. Also, I only got $30k from the only CCN school I've heard about money from, so I doubt I'll have much bargaining leverage.

Anonymous User
Posts: 306849
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:43 pm

Is a deposit just considered a copy of the form where you certify that you'll be attending. My cycle is over and I'm ready to deposit.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.