SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:14 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:I'm not sure if this has been answered yet, but I haven't had a chance to skim the thread yet. Does anybody know roughly how long the turn-around is from interview to answer? I had my interview on Tuesday (so fairly recently) but I have a job offer on the table for this summer and I don't want to turn that down only to get rejected from SEO (or, consequently, accept that and then get accepted to SEO)


I'd call up SEO and see what they say. They can't give any offers until you send an enrollment letter, but I think the earliest anyone got accepted last yr was March and I think they ED'd (not positive though, wasn't me).

I had a similar scenario and ended up in a position where it was SEO or nothing. I took the opportunity whenever I could send them new info (updated resume, recommendation letter, etc.) to write a mini LOCI of how much I wanted SEO. I don't know if it helped or hurt, think I did that twice or three times max though.

I interviewed this time last yr and heard back last week of April. Best of luck.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:I'm not sure if this has been answered yet, but I haven't had a chance to skim the thread yet. Does anybody know roughly how long the turn-around is from interview to answer? I had my interview on Tuesday (so fairly recently) but I have a job offer on the table for this summer and I don't want to turn that down only to get rejected from SEO (or, consequently, accept that and then get accepted to SEO)


I'd call up SEO and see what they say. They can't give any offers until you send an enrollment letter, but I think the earliest anyone got accepted last yr was March and I think they ED'd (not positive though, wasn't me).

I had a similar scenario and ended up in a position where it was SEO or nothing. I took the opportunity whenever I could send them new info (updated resume, recommendation letter, etc.) to write a mini LOCI of how much I wanted SEO. I don't know if it helped or hurt, think I did that twice or three times max though.

I interviewed this time last yr and heard back last week of April. Best of luck.


Did you send your stuff to your interviewer or someone else in the office?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:I'm not sure if this has been answered yet, but I haven't had a chance to skim the thread yet. Does anybody know roughly how long the turn-around is from interview to answer? I had my interview on Tuesday (so fairly recently) but I have a job offer on the table for this summer and I don't want to turn that down only to get rejected from SEO (or, consequently, accept that and then get accepted to SEO)


I'd call up SEO and see what they say. They can't give any offers until you send an enrollment letter, but I think the earliest anyone got accepted last yr was March and I think they ED'd (not positive though, wasn't me).

I had a similar scenario and ended up in a position where it was SEO or nothing. I took the opportunity whenever I could send them new info (updated resume, recommendation letter, etc.) to write a mini LOCI of how much I wanted SEO. I don't know if it helped or hurt, think I did that twice or three times max though.

I interviewed this time last yr and heard back last week of April. Best of luck.


Did you send your stuff to your interviewer or someone else in the office?


Interviewer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:41 pm

Hi guys, had my interview this last week and I think it went alright. I handed her an official transcript along with the resume/etc. she had asked me to bring, and when the interview finished I asked her if there was anything else I needed to do.

She didn't say anything about a letter of recommendation, and I can't find a mention of it on the website (except for the possibility of asking an SEO alumnus to write one for you). Did your interviewers tell you this was necessary? Should I shoot SEO an email and ask?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:20 pm

-Yeah, you should ask them about the letter of recommendation. They were requested last year. However, I have no idea if they were actually required or even looked at.

-As for the SEO offer date. I didn't get my offer until the last week of April. So it might be quite a while until you guys get your offers. Honestly though, its probably worth it to later reject your current summer job offer in order to do SEO. SEO it totally worth it. I find it had to imagine a better opportunity than SEO for your 0L summer. Sometimes you gotta do whats best for you, depending on what kind of bridge you might have to burn.

--Alum

User avatar
Mr. Elshal
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Mr. Elshal » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:03 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:I'm not sure if this has been answered yet, but I haven't had a chance to skim the thread yet. Does anybody know roughly how long the turn-around is from interview to answer? I had my interview on Tuesday (so fairly recently) but I have a job offer on the table for this summer and I don't want to turn that down only to get rejected from SEO (or, consequently, accept that and then get accepted to SEO)


Response time can take up until April, I believe.

I suggest you accept the job offer (assuming you will not be contractually obligated to agree to a start date) and if SEO comes around, decline the offer (folks do this all the time).

But given that you're bound to start law school this Fall, is a job offer that will last only for the summer really going to matter? SEO trumps any job experience, especially if it will be so short-lived.


I know for a fact that the offer I have now is not better, I just hate being in limbo. I guess I'll accept and pull out later if I have to (I was hesitant about this before because I would be signing a contract, but I guess it's employment at will).

Anonymous User wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:I'm not sure if this has been answered yet, but I haven't had a chance to skim the thread yet. Does anybody know roughly how long the turn-around is from interview to answer? I had my interview on Tuesday (so fairly recently) but I have a job offer on the table for this summer and I don't want to turn that down only to get rejected from SEO (or, consequently, accept that and then get accepted to SEO)


I'd call up SEO and see what they say. They can't give any offers until you send an enrollment letter, but I think the earliest anyone got accepted last yr was March and I think they ED'd (not positive though, wasn't me).

I had a similar scenario and ended up in a position where it was SEO or nothing. I took the opportunity whenever I could send them new info (updated resume, recommendation letter, etc.) to write a mini LOCI of how much I wanted SEO. I don't know if it helped or hurt, think I did that twice or three times max though.

I interviewed this time last yr and heard back last week of April. Best of luck.


So based on this would I be better off just choosing a school asap and enrolling?

Also, I've been having a lot of trouble establishing contact with anyone at SEO since my interview. Any recommended ways to get in touch with them? I know they're understaffed but I feel like confirmation that they're receiving my materials would be nice

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:57 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:I'm not sure if this has been answered yet, but I haven't had a chance to skim the thread yet. Does anybody know roughly how long the turn-around is from interview to answer? I had my interview on Tuesday (so fairly recently) but I have a job offer on the table for this summer and I don't want to turn that down only to get rejected from SEO (or, consequently, accept that and then get accepted to SEO)


Response time can take up until April, I believe.

I suggest you accept the job offer (assuming you will not be contractually obligated to agree to a start date) and if SEO comes around, decline the offer (folks do this all the time).

But given that you're bound to start law school this Fall, is a job offer that will last only for the summer really going to matter? SEO trumps any job experience, especially if it will be so short-lived.


I know for a fact that the offer I have now is not better, I just hate being in limbo. I guess I'll accept and pull out later if I have to (I was hesitant about this before because I would be signing a contract, but I guess it's employment at will).

Anonymous User wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:I'm not sure if this has been answered yet, but I haven't had a chance to skim the thread yet. Does anybody know roughly how long the turn-around is from interview to answer? I had my interview on Tuesday (so fairly recently) but I have a job offer on the table for this summer and I don't want to turn that down only to get rejected from SEO (or, consequently, accept that and then get accepted to SEO)


I'd call up SEO and see what they say. They can't give any offers until you send an enrollment letter, but I think the earliest anyone got accepted last yr was March and I think they ED'd (not positive though, wasn't me).

I had a similar scenario and ended up in a position where it was SEO or nothing. I took the opportunity whenever I could send them new info (updated resume, recommendation letter, etc.) to write a mini LOCI of how much I wanted SEO. I don't know if it helped or hurt, think I did that twice or three times max though.

I interviewed this time last yr and heard back last week of April. Best of luck.


So based on this would I be better off just choosing a school asap and enrolling?

Also, I've been having a lot of trouble establishing contact with anyone at SEO since my interview. Any recommended ways to get in touch with them? I know they're understaffed but I feel like confirmation that they're receiving my materials would be nice



Call them -- don't rely on e-mail. This is not to say harass them, I think I called once about my recommendation letter and another time about change in phone number.

And I wouldn't just choose a school and enroll ASAP for SEO, although I understand why you would. I didn't send my enrollment offer until mid-April, after I had all my financial aid offers. It's tough to be in limbo and wait, but all you can do.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:06 pm

Yeah, I agree with the last bit of advice. SEO presents a catch-22 situation when it comes to decision making. I'm sure it would give some of you guys a great sense of relief to just enroll in school and submit your proof to SEO, however, I'm not sure if thats the best thing to do at this time...

I recommend that you guys spend the next 1-3 months negotiating scholarship aid (even if you know what school you plan on going to), work to get off waiting lists, and deeply consider which schools will be the best fit for you. I know it sucks not knowing with certainty where you will be even as soon as 4 months from now but doing those things will be very advantageous to you guys.

To the furthest of my knowledge, SEO already knows if they want you are not months before they give you an offer. IMO its unlikely they will pass on you just because you turned your forms in March or April.

Depending on your financial situations..definitely, definitely, definitely check into the forums regarding negotiation scholarship aid.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:49 pm

Thank you note to your interviewer? Yay or nay? And if you would, would you mail it? (I'm currently abroad.)

User avatar
BlaqBella
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby BlaqBella » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thank you note to your interviewer? Yay or nay? And if you would, would you mail it? (I'm currently abroad.)


Mail can be overlooked. I personally prefer email, even moreso if abroad.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:03 pm

Great. Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:52 pm

gah when will a single interview slot open up?? anyone else trying to schedule one?

User avatar
Mr. Elshal
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Mr. Elshal » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thank you note to your interviewer? Yay or nay? And if you would, would you mail it? (I'm currently abroad.)


I emailed one on the evening after my interview. Didn't get a response, but hopefully it was appreciated

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:52 pm

To those who emailed thank you notes, were you able to find your specific interviewer's email address or did you use the same email address that can be used to update your application?

User avatar
Mr. Elshal
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Mr. Elshal » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:To those who emailed thank you notes, were you able to find your specific interviewer's email address or did you use the same email address that can be used to update your application?


I asked for a business card at the end of the interview. You can probably find the email address somewhere. I would send it direct to the interviewer

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:10 pm

How long after you guys applied did you get an interview offer?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How long after you guys applied did you get an interview offer?


I didn't get an interview offer for about 6 weeks, which was when I posted an acceptance by a T10. Given my numbers, 3.1x/16x, that seems par for the course. If you have numbers that nearly guarantee you T10, you'll probably get one before you get an acceptance though. Some people have had an application/interview offer turn around of under a week.

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby subtle » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How long after you guys applied did you get an interview offer?



My story is a bit unique, so I'd rather not post in on the boards, but if you PM me, I hope my story can give you some comfort.

ssolis
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:21 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby ssolis » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:gah when will a single interview slot open up?? anyone else trying to schedule one?


This. Has anyone noticed that the only places to schedule interviews are via Skype and NYC? Are the other cities going to become available again?

User avatar
BlaqBella
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby BlaqBella » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:37 pm

subtle wrote:
symphony07 wrote:has everyone who applied before the november deadline received an interview invite? hmmm :(

Nope. I applied well before the November deadline, but I haven't received an invite or anything. I hope this doesn't mean that I'm not getting one. :(


I'm confused. The above makes it sound like you're a current SEO applicant. Also, your LSN indicates attendance of CLS. Please clarify.

subtle
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:43 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby subtle » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:36 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
subtle wrote:
symphony07 wrote:has everyone who applied before the november deadline received an interview invite? hmmm :(

Nope. I applied well before the November deadline, but I haven't received an invite or anything. I hope this doesn't mean that I'm not getting one. :(


I'm confused. The above makes it sound like you're a current SEO applicant. Also, your LSN indicates attendance of CLS. Please clarify.


I'm nearing the end of a 2 year deferral. I will be attending Columbia this fall, but am a current SEO applicant. I left all of my information on LSN to help anyone with similar numbers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:02 pm

Guys don't fret about not having received an interview. I only received one after depositting with a T10, so they probably don't call you until after they receive your deposit. (Which is probably why they start giving offers so late, in April.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:14 pm

Sorry, if this has been covered, but for the sake of clarity:
Do we need to put in the recommendation request right after we have been selected to interview?

Thanks

User avatar
Mr. Elshal
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Mr. Elshal » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry, if this has been covered, but for the sake of clarity:
Do we need to put in the recommendation request right after we have been selected to interview?

Thanks


+1, I have seen nothing regarding recommendations yet, except on TLS

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Guys don't fret about not having received an interview. I only received one after depositting with a T10, so they probably don't call you until after they receive your deposit. (Which is probably why they start giving offers so late, in April.)


I don't think this is the norm. I also don't know if there is typical procedure, but I interviewed months before I deposited anywhere. I thought most people interviewed, then deposited but could be wrong.

I'm not sure if there's a deadline re: recommendation letters. I know some people brought it to the interview. I got my rec sent in after my interview. I think they just need it before they make a decision, but the earlier the better.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.