SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
symphony07

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby symphony07 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:43 pm

yep. thanks!

gabriella97

Postby gabriella97 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:42 pm

Can international students apply for this internship? Assuming they have legal authorization to work in the US, i.e., OPT or CPT.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:06 pm

Can anyone provide any info as to the duration of the actual internship itself? Reading through the threads it seems the start date is around May or June 1st, but when does it end? Does it end at the end of July or August?

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone provide any info as to the duration of the actual internship itself? Reading through the threads it seems the start date is around May or June 1st, but when does it end? Does it end at the end of July or August?

You'll be in from around Memorial day (a lot start after, some start before. TBH I would have preferred that, more time to make $$ and meet people. I think the West Coast ones might have started earlier, can't recall though), until around July 28-30ish? For your firm work. I think you get out of the academy around the 10th of August (so I guess the 9th this year).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:20 pm

hyakku wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone provide any info as to the duration of the actual internship itself? Reading through the threads it seems the start date is around May or June 1st, but when does it end? Does it end at the end of July or August?

You'll be in from around Memorial day (a lot start after, some start before. TBH I would have preferred that, more time to make $$ and meet people. I think the West Coast ones might have started earlier, can't recall though), until around July 28-30ish? For your firm work. I think you get out of the academy around the 10th of August (so I guess the 9th this year).

Thanks for responding! What to you mean by "get out of the academy?" so SEO does other things, the internship isn't just, show up at the law firm, work, then leave after your last day?

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
hyakku wrote:

Thanks for responding! What to you mean by "get out of the academy?" so SEO does other things, the internship isn't just, show up at the law firm, work, then leave after your last day?

There's a two week law school preview you basically go through after your SA (I think some people may leave a few days before the official firm one ends, but I'm pretty sure most people's firms are done by that point.). They give you some classes, LEEWS and some materials for school like E&Es that can be pretty useful. You also take some exams which are graded (although they obviously don't mean anything for law school) and you get some feedback which is helpful for thinking about later on when you've start prepping for finals.

There are also receptions where you're meant to network and panelists (partners and associates) from firms come have a discussion / Q&A session. Associates of the firm and other partners show up to talk to SEOs, some are former alum of the program. Depending on where you are there may be like 10 or so (can't really remember, it was a good amount) throughout your internship (NYC) or only a few if you're you in a place with a smaller concentration of people. These are what you make of them. You can relax and just talk with other SEOs and a few associates or use them to learn more about a field you might be interested. I talked to some cool associates and partners at some of them and I'm sure some people made good connections for SA positions while they were there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:54 pm

I just got an invitation for an interview today! I applied sometime around the second week of December. Was accepted ED to CCN.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:38 am

For anyone else who's been through the interview process/knows something about it - when are letters of recommendation required?

I heard I should ask a professor/employer for one as soon as I'm given an interview slot, but I can't find anything to that effect on the SEO website. Is this true? How many LORs do I need? Lastly, I have my interview late next week, but I'd feel horribly rude asking a recommender to crank something out that fast. Is it okay if I get it in two weeks after the interview?

Thanks so much. You guys are lifesavers.

DeloresSaidSo

Postby DeloresSaidSo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For anyone else who's been through the interview process/knows something about it - when are letters of recommendation required?

I heard I should ask a professor/employer for one as soon as I'm given an interview slot, but I can't find anything to that effect on the SEO website. Is this true? How many LORs do I need? Lastly, I have my interview late next week, but I'd feel horribly rude asking a recommender to crank something out that fast. Is it okay if I get it in two weeks after the interview?

Alum here. I can only speak to my experience, but I remember sending my letter of recommendation in after completing my in person interview. I simply asked one of my law school app recommendation writers if I could use her letter for my SEO app. She researched the program and reworded her original letter to make it appropriate for SEO.

I' m not 100% sure of the specifics for this year' s process (number of letters due or due dates), but I would simply have someone in mind that you know could provide a great letter and then wait for guidance from your interviewer or another SEO representative. If timing is really making you anxious go ahead and give your recommender a heads up so that he/she is prepared in case there is a quick turnaround.

Good luck!!!!

facile princeps

Postby facile princeps » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:21 pm

DeloresSaidSo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For anyone else who's been through the interview process/knows something about it - when are letters of recommendation required?

Alum here. I can only speak to my experience, but I remember sending my letter of recommendation in after completing my in person interview. I simply asked one of my law school app recommendation writers if I could use her letter for my SEO app. She researched the program and reworded her original letter to make it appropriate for SEO.

I' m not 100% sure of the specifics for this year' s process (number of letters due or due dates), but I would simply have someone in mind that you know could provide a great letter and then wait for guidance from your interviewer or another SEO representative. If timing is really making you anxious go ahead and give your recommender a heads up so that he/she is prepared in case there is a quick turnaround.

Good luck!!!!

Do you think it is necessary to have the letter tailored to SEO? I had used one of my recs from law school apps. I interviewed already, but I would try to get another one before they start making decisions if you think it would increase my chances of being accepted.

ETA: If anyone wants to know about the interview (in addition to the thread on here that already has some good info), PM me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:41 pm

Inteview today! Wish me luck :)

J90

Postby J90 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:10 pm

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

DeloresSaidSo

Postby DeloresSaidSo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:53 pm

facile princeps wrote:
DeloresSaidSo wrote:

I'm not 100% sure of the specifics for this year' s process (number of letters due or due dates), but I would simply have someone in mind that you know could provide a great letter and then wait for guidance from your interviewer or another SEO representative. If timing is really making you anxious go ahead and give your recommender a heads up so that he/she is prepared in case there is a quick turnaround.

Good luck!!!!

Do you think it is necessary to have the letter tailored to SEO? I had used one of my recs from law school apps. I interviewed already, but I would try to get another one before they start making decisions if you think it would increase my chances of being accepted.

ETA: If anyone wants to know about the interview (in addition to the thread on here that already has some good info), PM me.

Well, I just so happened to work with my recommender so it was super easy for her to reword it and get it back to me quickly. I'm sure if you have a good law school rec letter it should be fine. Again, get this verified by an SEO rep if you want to be 100% sure.

As a general FYI: Please be mindful that the SEO staff are SUPER swamped and cannot always respond to every email or phone call immediately, so be extra patient and try not to blow them up, lol.

h_jane_w

Postby h_jane_w » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:03 pm

J90 wrote:Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

It went well. Could've gone better. PM me for info.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:23 pm

So I'm in Argentina until January 27th, and was selected for an interview. I would way rather interview in person than Skype, but that's quite a long time to wait to interview it seems like. And I'm pretty sure you need have your recommender send them a rec after that before they review for you?

Any advice on this is very appreciated!! I don't have a suit with me in Argentina, but I have a white business shirt and a tie. Would it be better to wait until February to interview, or interview with no suit jacket on Skype? It also seems I can't schedule an interview that far out in person, but I'm guessing they will add more slots as time goes on..?

Thanks!!

actually think I'm gonna wait til I'm back in the states, but there does not seem to be availability in ANY city?? Anyone have an idea if more slots will open up, or if I'm just gonna have to do Skype...
Last edited by SaintsTheMetal on Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:37 pm

edit

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:47 pm

Can someone lay out some interview advice for this? I know it's in this forum somewhere, but I pushed through about 30 pages of responses and haven't seem much of anything other than that the interviewers will try to mess you up and knock you off balance and you need to read the article slowly. Are there any more tips out there to be gleaned? My Skype interview is early next week and I already got into a T14 and expect to get 1 T6.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can someone lay out some interview advice for this? I know it's in this forum somewhere, but I pushed through about 30 pages of responses and haven't seem much of anything other than that the interviewers will try to mess you up and knock you off balance and you need to read the article slowly. Are there any more tips out there to be gleaned? My Skype interview is early next week and I already got into a T14 and expect to get 1 T6.

I had my interview early last week. I think it went fairly well. The "knock you off balance" part is true, in that the interviewer plays devil's advocate with the article response. They'll question or counter every point you make, but it's not too bad. Just be prepared to answer:

-Why law?
-Why SEO?
-What do you hope to gain/learn from the SEO experience?
-What do you hope to accomplish with your JD?
-What makes you better, or more qualified than other candidates (or why should they choose you).

Also,
-Know why you'd like to live/work in your requested city.
-Research multiple firms listed for your city on the SEO site and know specific reasons why you'd like to intern/work for them.
-Think of a question or two to ask at the end of the interview when they ask, "Do you have any questions for me?"

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:12 pm

So anyone know if they typically continue to add more interviews slots through February? Absolutely nothing available except Skype which I'd really rather not do, just want to feel like I probably won't screw myself by trying to schedule an early February interview that is yet to appear instead of a Skype interview this week... Tried asking SEO, radio-silence from email and phone call got me referred to their email...

h_jane_w

Postby h_jane_w » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:36 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:So anyone know if they typically continue to add more interviews slots through February? Absolutely nothing available except Skype which I'd really rather not do, just want to feel like I probably won't screw myself by trying to schedule an early February interview that is yet to appear instead of a Skype interview this week... Tried asking SEO, radio-silence from email and phone call got me referred to their email...

What will matter is your resume and recommendation, the LS you are attending, and how you respond to the interview questions.
Last edited by h_jane_w on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:37 pm

Guys, be VERY careful about posting in this thread. Just a tip.

h_jane_w

Postby h_jane_w » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:37 pm

h_jane_w wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:So anyone know if they typically continue to add more interviews slots through February? Absolutely nothing available except Skype which I'd really rather not do, just want to feel like I probably won't screw myself by trying to schedule an early February interview that is yet to appear instead of a Skype interview this week... Tried asking SEO, radio-silence from email and phone call got me referred to their email...

I interviewed via Skype and honestly do not believe interviewing in person vs. interviewing via Skype will be the reason for them accepting OR rejecting you from the program.

What will matter is your resume and recommendation, the LS you are attending, and how you respond to the interview questions.

Lol didn't realize I had answered this already! - sorry - of course if you prefer in person then keep looking for an open slot

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:46 pm

h_jane_w wrote:
h_jane_w wrote:

I interviewed via Skype and honestly do not believe interviewing in person vs. interviewing via Skype will be the reason for them accepting OR rejecting you from the program.

Lol didn't realize I had answered this already! - sorry - of course if you prefer in person then keep looking for an open slot

lol yes thank you for being helpful, just get a little scared when there's no interview slots online and SEO is very difficult to contact. but from reading this thread it sounds like people have interviewed all the way through March in the past..

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:47 am

I'm not sure if this has been answered yet, but I haven't had a chance to skim the thread yet. Does anybody know roughly how long the turn-around is from interview to answer? I had my interview on Tuesday (so fairly recently) but I have a job offer on the table for this summer and I don't want to turn that down only to get rejected from SEO (or, consequently, accept that and then get accepted to SEO)

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:51 am

Mr. Elshal wrote:I'm not sure if this has been answered yet, but I haven't had a chance to skim the thread yet. Does anybody know roughly how long the turn-around is from interview to answer? I had my interview on Tuesday (so fairly recently) but I have a job offer on the table for this summer and I don't want to turn that down only to get rejected from SEO (or, consequently, accept that and then get accepted to SEO)

Response time can take up until April, I believe.

I suggest you accept the job offer (assuming you will not be contractually obligated to agree to a start date) and if SEO comes around, decline the offer (folks do this all the time).

But given that you're bound to start law school this Fall, is a job offer that will last only for the summer really going to matter? SEO trumps any job experience, especially if it will be so short-lived.

Return to “Legal Employment”