SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:51 pm

lex talionis wrote:Everyone says that it's your enrollment confirmation that is going to get you in, but what is second in line in criteria? I mean, I'm sure there are more than 50-60 minority candidates applying that got into HYSCCN, so do you think it's the interview next? Numbers? Resume? The fact that the program isn't filled solely with T6 students (when it probably could be) says there has to be something else going on. Maybe it's broken down by ethnicity quotas?


Probably not that many. If you're a minority that got into HYSCCN, you tend to have pretty attractive options on your plate. Travel, work, or public interest stuff can all seem much more attractive than SEO when the world is your oyster.

User avatar
Skadden Stairs
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Skadden Stairs » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:05 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
lex talionis wrote:Everyone says that it's your enrollment confirmation that is going to get you in, but what is second in line in criteria? I mean, I'm sure there are more than 50-60 minority candidates applying that got into HYSCCN, so do you think it's the interview next? Numbers? Resume? The fact that the program isn't filled solely with T6 students (when it probably could be) says there has to be something else going on. Maybe it's broken down by ethnicity quotas?


Probably not that many. If you're a minority that got into HYSCCN, you tend to have pretty attractive options on your plate. Travel, work, or public interest stuff can all seem much more attractive than SEO when the world is your oyster.

Meh... there are 185 "students of color" in the typical entering class of HLS alone... and there isn't that much you could offer me this summer that would be more attractive than SEO, besides "paid professional beach-goer."

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:09 pm

lex talionis wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
lex talionis wrote:Everyone says that it's your enrollment confirmation that is going to get you in, but what is second in line in criteria? I mean, I'm sure there are more than 50-60 minority candidates applying that got into HYSCCN, so do you think it's the interview next? Numbers? Resume? The fact that the program isn't filled solely with T6 students (when it probably could be) says there has to be something else going on. Maybe it's broken down by ethnicity quotas?


Probably not that many. If you're a minority that got into HYSCCN, you tend to have pretty attractive options on your plate. Travel, work, or public interest stuff can all seem much more attractive than SEO when the world is your oyster.

Meh... there are 185 "students of color" in the typical entering class of HLS alone... and there isn't that much you could offer me this summer that would be more attractive than SEO, besides "paid professional beach-goer."


lol. I guess it depends on how much you buy into the "SEO opens doors that are open anyway" aspect of the argument. If you're HYS you don't need SEO as an in the way that a BU grad would.

User avatar
Skadden Stairs
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Skadden Stairs » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:13 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
lex talionis wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
lex talionis wrote:Everyone says that it's your enrollment confirmation that is going to get you in, but what is second in line in criteria? I mean, I'm sure there are more than 50-60 minority candidates applying that got into HYSCCN, so do you think it's the interview next? Numbers? Resume? The fact that the program isn't filled solely with T6 students (when it probably could be) says there has to be something else going on. Maybe it's broken down by ethnicity quotas?


Probably not that many. If you're a minority that got into HYSCCN, you tend to have pretty attractive options on your plate. Travel, work, or public interest stuff can all seem much more attractive than SEO when the world is your oyster.

Meh... there are 185 "students of color" in the typical entering class of HLS alone... and there isn't that much you could offer me this summer that would be more attractive than SEO, besides "paid professional beach-goer."


lol. I guess it depends on how much you buy into the "SEO opens doors that are open anyway" aspect of the argument. If you're HYS you don't need SEO as an in the way that a BU grad would.

IDK... starting law school with a 1L summer offer is still kind of a big deal, whether you're at HYSCCN or not, especially in this economy (and with their partner firm list). Sure it would help the BU grad more, but SEO is more in the business of advancement, rather than elevation.

legends159
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby legends159 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:55 pm

Anyone get this email?

Thank you for applying and interviewing for the Sponsors for Educational Opportunity Corporate Law Program.

The Admissions Committee has reserved making a decision on your application pending your law school acceptance. Please know that you continue to be a competitive candidate for our Corporate Law Program, and we ask that you keep our office informed of your law school Admissions status. Once you have been accepted to the law school of your choice, please confirm your attendance as soon as possible by faxing a copy of your acceptance letter and enrollment deposit to the attention of xxx at (xxx) xxx-xxxx. The Admissions Committee will render a decision within two to three weeks from your law school confirmation.

Once again thank you for your interest in our internship opportunities. We wish you well in the remainder of the application process.


Seems encouraging

cocoapuffs
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:42 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby cocoapuffs » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:57 pm

If you are fairly sure you won't be accepted to a t-14 is it even worth it to interview?

legends159
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby legends159 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:58 pm

cocoapuffs wrote:If you are fairly sure you won't be accepted to a t-14 is it even worth it to interview?


yes. It's a great learning experience even if you don't get it. Plus they do take a few people each year from non-t14 schools

daisyduck
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby daisyduck » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:57 pm

lex talionis wrote:IDK... starting law school with a 1L summer offer is still kind of a big deal, whether you're at HYSCCN or not, especially in this economy (and with their partner firm list).


I agree. Granted, they may not automatically offer you a 1L summer associateship just because you worked there during your 0L summer, but even having that experience on your resume and personally having worked with the practicing attorneys (or impressing them) at those firms is a major leg-up. With the partner firms all being very competitive firms (mostly V10), you can leverage it to get better offers your 2L summer as well.
I personally think that the best part about the program is the eligibility to apply to clerk with a SDNY judge your 1L year, and getting free study aids before school starts (they can be expensive).
Last edited by daisyduck on Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sobriquet
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Sobriquet » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:59 pm

At the office that I interviewed at, 6 of the 7 SEO interns came back as 1L summer associates. I imagine the 1 person who wasn't asked back either sucked or went on to bigger, better things like a clerkship or something.

User avatar
summertimechi
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:45 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby summertimechi » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:05 pm

lex talionis wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
lex talionis wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Probably not that many. If you're a minority that got into HYSCCN, you tend to have pretty attractive options on your plate. Travel, work, or public interest stuff can all seem much more attractive than SEO when the world is your oyster.

Meh... there are 185 "students of color" in the typical entering class of HLS alone... and there isn't that much you could offer me this summer that would be more attractive than SEO, besides "paid professional beach-goer."

lol. I guess it depends on how much you buy into the "SEO opens doors that are open anyway" aspect of the argument. If you're HYS you don't need SEO as an in the way that a BU grad would.

IDK... starting law school with a 1L summer offer is still kind of a big deal, whether you're at HYSCCN or not, especially in this economy (and with their partner firm list). Sure it would help the BU grad more, but SEO is more in the business of advancement, rather than elevation.

I think it's a mixture of a lot of things. First off, I don't know how they get out the invitations to apply, but they definitely aren't able to send them out to every minority T6/T14 applicant. And though, as TLSers, it can be hard to imagine that everyone isn't as knowledgeable about these things as we are, the truth is that many people don't even know the program exists (just look at Objection, and he's a TLS regular). That knocks a fairly large chunk of minority applicants out immediately. Then you have to factor in that out of those T6 minority applicants who do know about the program, there are some who don't apply because a) they're not interested in corporate law or b) they don't realize the benefits that SEO can have (i.e. an offer for 1L summer assoc.) c) they are unable or unwilling to move to NYC or DC for a ten-week internship d) they'd rather not work and prefer to 'enjoy' their summer. Those are all very legitimate concerns/ways of thinking for lots of people. All you had to do was read the SEO vs. Eurotrip thread to see how some people think. Many people, especially recent college grads who the program is designed for, are very short-sighted. While I may think it's ridiculous to pass up an opportunity like SEO to 'enjoy your last summer of freedom' or turn it down because it seems like we'd just be 'making copies,' as a poster in another thread put it, there are some who really would pass it up for those reasons (just read that SEO v. Eurotrip thread). Between those with the aforementioned reasons, those with other opportunites, those who don't meet the requirements (minimum 3.0, recent grad), those who think HYSCCN will be enough and they don't need SEO, those who had horrible interviews or empty resumes, and the various other reasons that I'm sure exist to turn down/not apply/not be accepted to SEO, I think it's fairly easy to guess that there are not as many T6/T14 minority applicants who are prime candidates for SEO as one might initially think.

legends159
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby legends159 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:12 pm

summertimechi wrote:I think it's a mixture of a lot of things. First off, I don't know how they get out the invitations to apply, but they definitely aren't able to send them out to every minority T6/T14 applicant. And though, as TLSers, it can be hard to imagine that everyone isn't as knowledgeable about these things as we are, the truth is that many people don't even know the program exists (just look at Objection, and he's a TLS regular). That knocks a fairly large chunk of minority applicants out immediately. Then you have to factor in that out of those T6 minority applicants who do know about the program, there are some who don't apply because a) they're not interested in corporate law or b) they don't realize the benefits that SEO can have (i.e. an offer for 1L summer assoc.) c) they are unable or unwilling to move to NYC or DC for a ten-week internship d) they'd rather not work and prefer to 'enjoy' their summer. Those are all very legitimate concerns/ways of thinking for lots of people. All you had to do was read the SEO vs. Eurotrip thread to see how some people think. Many people, especially recent college grads who the program is designed for, are very short-sighted. While I may think it's ridiculous to pass up an opportunity like SEO to 'enjoy your last summer of freedom' or turn it down because it seems like we'd just be 'making copies,' as a poster in another thread put it, there are some who really would pass it up for those reasons (just read that SEO v. Eurotrip thread). Between those with the aforementioned reasons, those with other opportunites, those who don't meet the requirements (minimum 3.0, recent grad), those who think HYSCCN will be enough and they don't need SEO, those who had horrible interviews or empty resumes, and the various other reasons that I'm sure exist to turn down/not apply/not be accepted to SEO, I think it's fairly easy to guess that there are not as many T6/T14 minority applicants who are prime candidates for SEO as one might initially think.


Interesting points, too bad I had to sacrifice my eyes to read that. Aaaand, now I'm blind :lol:

User avatar
Skadden Stairs
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Skadden Stairs » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:28 pm

summertimechi wrote:I think it's a mixture of a lot of things. First off, I don't know how they get out the invitations to apply, but they definitely aren't able to send them out to every minority T6/T14 applicant. And though, as TLSers, it can be hard to imagine that everyone isn't as knowledgeable about these things as we are, the truth is that many people don't even know the program exists (just look at Objection, and he's a TLS regular). That knocks a fairly large chunk of minority applicants out immediately. Then you have to factor in that out of those T6 minority applicants who do know about the program, there are some who don't apply because a) they're not interested in corporate law or b) they don't realize the benefits that SEO can have (i.e. an offer for 1L summer assoc.) c) they are unable or unwilling to move to NYC or DC for a ten-week internship d) they'd rather not work and prefer to 'enjoy' their summer. Those are all very legitimate concerns/ways of thinking for lots of people. All you had to do was read the SEO vs. Eurotrip thread to see how some people think. Many people, especially recent college grads who the program is designed for, are very short-sighted. While I may think it's ridiculous to pass up an opportunity like SEO to 'enjoy your last summer of freedom' or turn it down because it seems like we'd just be 'making copies,' as a poster in another thread put it, there are some who really would pass it up for those reasons (just read that SEO v. Eurotrip thread). Between those with the aforementioned reasons, those with other opportunites, those who don't meet the requirements (minimum 3.0, recent grad), those who think HYSCCN will be enough and they don't need SEO, those who had horrible interviews or empty resumes, and the various other reasons that I'm sure exist to turn down/not apply/not be accepted to SEO, I think it's fairly easy to guess that there are not as many T6/T14 minority applicants who are prime candidates for SEO as one might initially think.


I think invites are sent out the same way fee waivers are; LSAC probably gives them out LSAT scores. I know when I got the flyer in the mail I was a bit skeptical until I read the partner firms list. As for the people in group B, I guess their ignorance is my reward. And group D... bleh. I read that eurotrip thread and my obvious reaction was :shock: :roll: As someone who has seen a lot of Europe on a shoestring budget (I mean like... converse shoestrings. that shitty), I look forward to being able to visit Europe when I have some (read: a lot of) money to throw around. And SEO would help me get that much closer.

Unfortunately, I expect I fall into the category of "horrible interview/empty resume." Sigh. And if not, I'm a bit terrified I might have to spend 2 weeks chalk-full of other TLSers at this law school prep thing.

User avatar
summertimechi
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:45 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby summertimechi » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:33 pm

legends159 wrote:Interesting points, too bad I had to sacrifice my eyes to read that. Aaaand, now I'm blind :lol:

Lol sorry, wall of text :(

User avatar
ddp
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby ddp » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:40 pm

soo what exactly constitutes a "bad interview" or a "good interview"? my interviewer seemed really uninterested in anything i had to say but i don't know if that's how it's supposed to be.

daisyduck
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby daisyduck » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:26 pm

legends159 wrote:Anyone get this email?

Thank you for applying and interviewing for the Sponsors for Educational Opportunity Corporate Law Program.

The Admissions Committee has reserved making a decision on your application pending your law school acceptance. Please know that you continue to be a competitive candidate for our Corporate Law Program, and we ask that you keep our office informed of your law school Admissions status. Once you have been accepted to the law school of your choice, please confirm your attendance as soon as possible by faxing a copy of your acceptance letter and enrollment deposit to the attention of xxx at (xxx) xxx-xxxx. The Admissions Committee will render a decision within two to three weeks from your law school confirmation.

Once again thank you for your interest in our internship opportunities. We wish you well in the remainder of the application process.


Seems encouraging

Did anyone that had an interview NOT get this email? I don't know if this means "you made the 1st round," or "everyone's in for now."

User avatar
Skadden Stairs
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Skadden Stairs » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:32 pm

no email; interviewed a week ago

magnumxlv
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:28 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby magnumxlv » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:10 pm

For people that got an interview:

Did you get the interview before/after you updated your profile with some T14 schools you got into?

User avatar
cougarlive
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby cougarlive » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:27 pm

magnumxlv wrote:For people that got an interview:

Did you get the interview before/after you updated your profile with some T14 schools you got into?


Before

magnumxlv
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:28 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby magnumxlv » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:45 pm

cougarlive wrote:
magnumxlv wrote:For people that got an interview:

Did you get the interview before/after you updated your profile with some T14 schools you got into?


Before


Damn. I applied a month back with decent stats, haven't heard anything back yet though.

angeleyez09
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby angeleyez09 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:44 pm

magnumxlv wrote:
cougarlive wrote:
magnumxlv wrote:For people that got an interview:

Did you get the interview before/after you updated your profile with some T14 schools you got into?


Before


Damn. I applied a month back with decent stats, haven't heard anything back yet though.


I got an interview invite the day after I told them I was accepted into Vanderbilt. So it is unpredictable.

carter17
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:20 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby carter17 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:07 pm

anyone who interviewed in february receive the email? i'm thinking it may be something they send to individuals who interviewed earlier and it may take time for them to respond to each group of interviewees. (aka the first batch of nyc interviewees may just now be receiving the email and others may simply have to wait)...

User avatar
cougarlive
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby cougarlive » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:36 pm

magnumxlv wrote:
cougarlive wrote:
magnumxlv wrote:For people that got an interview:

Did you get the interview before/after you updated your profile with some T14 schools you got into?


Before


Damn. I applied a month back with decent stats, haven't heard anything back yet though.



With your numbers, I would think something has gone wrong. Did you check your junkmail folder? I think you might consider contacting them as the general trend (at least from what I have seen on TLS) is interviews usually come fairly quickly (mine was next day). I would try sending them a brief email telling them you just wanted to check your status. Interview slots are filling up and you don't want to be left booking a last minute flight or making travel arrangements if you do not live nearby.

Sorry you haven't heard back and good luck on your cycle.

angeleyez09
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby angeleyez09 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:39 pm

carter17 wrote:anyone who interviewed in february receive the email? i'm thinking it may be something they send to individuals who interviewed earlier and it may take time for them to respond to each group of interviewees. (aka the first batch of nyc interviewees may just now be receiving the email and others may simply have to wait)...


I interviewed on Feb 19th and received the email on the 22nd. My numbers are nothing special and my interview did not go all that well. I am sure they let you know something one way or the other so don't give up hope until you actually get a decision. Good luck!

daisyduck
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby daisyduck » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:51 am

angeleyez09 wrote:
carter17 wrote:anyone who interviewed in february receive the email? i'm thinking it may be something they send to individuals who interviewed earlier and it may take time for them to respond to each group of interviewees. (aka the first batch of nyc interviewees may just now be receiving the email and others may simply have to wait)...


I interviewed on Feb 19th and received the email on the 22nd. My numbers are nothing special and my interview did not go all that well. I am sure they let you know something one way or the other so don't give up hope until you actually get a decision. Good luck!

Same.
Interviewed on the 20th and got the email on the 22nd.
My interview was at best mediocre (stumbled on a lot of questions).
Maybe whether you got the email or not depends on the recruiter and/or which location you interviewed at. Either way I'm sure they'll keep on coming.

User avatar
treple
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:06 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby treple » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:13 pm

Received an e-mail saying that my decisions status has been updated -- again. Moved from waitlisted to decision pending submission of my school of attendence.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.