SEO Corporate Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 15, 2012 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi-

Can anyone confirm that they were able to take the final tests more than once? I'm a little worried about scoring 90% on just one take.

Thanks!

Can't confirm it cause I got 100% on the final on all tests I've done (and I averaged about 50% on the pre-tests so it's not like I'm a genius). But I do recall one of SEO's materials mentioning that we are expected to get to 90% and it didn't matter how many times it took us to get there, explicitly stating we could and should retake it until we hit that benchmark.
OK. So basically you took the pre-test and then reviewed the material and took the 2nd test? I'm going to sit down and do everything this weekend.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 15, 2012 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi-

Can anyone confirm that they were able to take the final tests more than once? I'm a little worried about scoring 90% on just one take.

Thanks!

Can't confirm it cause I got 100% on the final on all tests I've done (and I averaged about 50% on the pre-tests so it's not like I'm a genius). But I do recall one of SEO's materials mentioning that we are expected to get to 90% and it didn't matter how many times it took us to get there, explicitly stating we could and should retake it until we hit that benchmark.
OK. So basically you took the pre-test and then reviewed the material and took the 2nd test? I'm going to sit down and do everything this weekend.
Yea.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 15, 2012 8:48 pm

I'm going to assume the answer to this is "no," but...

I know the extent to which the firms treat you like an actual SA varies when it comes to the type of work you're going to do, but what about when it comes to things like lunch allowances? Some of the firms I've looked at (not just my assignment) give a ridiculous allowance for lunch every day, which could add up to another couple thousand dollars by the end of the summer. Anyone know if that type of thing ever applies to SEO interns?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 15, 2012 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm going to assume the answer to this is "no," but...

I know the extent to which the firms treat you like an actual SA varies when it comes to the type of work you're going to do, but what about when it comes to things like lunch allowances? Some of the firms I've looked at (not just my assignment) give a ridiculous allowance for lunch every day, which could add up to another couple thousand dollars by the end of the summer. Anyone know if that type of thing ever applies to SEO interns?
Yeah, I was pretty much wondering the same thing. In all honestly, and some alumns can probably give us more details about how it works, I'm interested in knowing which firms treat their SEO Interns like SA's. Obviously we won't be given any substancial SA work due to us being still technically pre-law newbies. Nevertheless, I do want to know which ones pair you up with an associate for mentorship, invite you to their SA events, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 16, 2012 9:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, I was pretty much wondering the same thing. In all honestly, and some alumns can probably give us more details about how it works, I'm interested in knowing which firms treat their SEO Interns like SA's. Obviously we won't be given any substancial SA work due to us being still technically pre-law newbies. Nevertheless, I do want to know which ones pair you up with an associate for mentorship, invite you to their SA events, etc.
Alum. I can't think of any firms that don't treat you as an SA off the top of my head because that is definitely the most common experience. I have a vague recollection of one of the firms being a big NYC firm. If you are doing a non-NYC location I wouldn't be worried at all about that.

Like I said above by far the most common experience is being treated like an SA so you get the same as them. You are taken out to lunch and they pay. It's not like you go off and buy your own lunch and ask for the firm to reimburse. That would be embarrassing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 16, 2012 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Alum. I can't think of any firms that don't treat you as an SA off the top of my head because that is definitely the most common experience. I have a vague recollection of one of the firms being a big NYC firm. If you are doing a non-NYC location I wouldn't be worried at all about that.

Like I said above by far the most common experience is being treated like an SA so you get the same as them. You are taken out to lunch and they pay. It's not like you go off and buy your own lunch and ask for the firm to reimburse. That would be embarrassing.
Does this apply to the assigned work? I'm wondering how much substantive work we can get without the benefit of even the first year classes.

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Thu May 17, 2012 12:30 pm

I agree with the anon above. I was just thinking about how worthless I'm going to be compared to other 2ls, then I read that 2L summer anxiety thread. If they feel like they don't know wtf they are doing, I feel like we're going to be the village idiots with people throwing acronyms and whatnot at us I've never seen. I've got some previous experience in a solo partners firm, but I feel like I was fulfilling more of an assistant or secretary role.

If we're going to be next to SAs doing actual work I feel like I should know something. I'm especially nervous because my recruiters seem awesome and they've given me some freedom in working with the practice groups I'm interested in, so the last thing I want to do is request to go somewhere only to look like the dunce, but I'm assuming they expect that :lol: Could any previous alums alleviate some fears?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 18, 2012 8:12 am

Silly question...so where exactly on blackboard/course sites are the pretests, post tests etc? Can find announcements, discussion board, calendar..pretty much everything but the work we have to do before orientation. Thanks!

AS33

Bronze

Post by AS33 » Fri May 18, 2012 8:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Silly question...so where exactly on blackboard/course sites are the pretests, post tests etc? Can find announcements, discussion board, calendar..pretty much everything but the work we have to do before orientation. Thanks!
It's not on there. You should have received an email from the CEO of SEO with a link to the courses.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AS33

Bronze

Post by AS33 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:38 pm

I forgot this thread existed. But what an amazing experience this summer...

Manhattanman

Bronze

Post by Manhattanman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:21 pm

Hey folks, this thread has been dead for a while, but I have a question. I received an email from SEO encouraging me to apply. I got it last fall when I was planning to apply back then. I changed my mind and decided to wait for this cycle. I graduated undergrad in 2008 and graduate school in 2011. The program is for "recent grads" should I bother applying? I would not classify myself as a recent grad. Let me know if anyone has any insight.

spiritniffler189

Bronze

Post by spiritniffler189 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:24 pm

Manhattanman wrote:Hey folks, this thread has been dead for a while, but I have a question. I received an email from SEO encouraging me to apply. I got it last fall when I was planning to apply back then. I changed my mind and decided to wait for this cycle. I graduated undergrad in 2008 and graduate school in 2011. The program is for "recent grads" should I bother applying? I would not classify myself as a recent grad. Let me know if anyone has any insight.
Yeah, you should still apply. I know of at least one person who was 4yrs out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:23 pm

spiritniffler189 wrote:
Manhattanman wrote:Hey folks, this thread has been dead for a while, but I have a question. I received an email from SEO encouraging me to apply. I got it last fall when I was planning to apply back then. I changed my mind and decided to wait for this cycle. I graduated undergrad in 2008 and graduate school in 2011. The program is for "recent grads" should I bother applying? I would not classify myself as a recent grad. Let me know if anyone has any insight.
DON'T EVEN HESITATE TO APPLY--JUST DO IT. SEO IS HANDS DOWN THE GREATEST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO ME. IT WILL GIVE YOU ADVANTAGES AND OPPORTUNITIES THAT A 2L/3L AT A TOP 3 LAW SCHOOL DON'T EVEN HAVE.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
spiritniffler189 wrote:
DON'T EVEN HESITATE TO APPLY--JUST DO IT. SEO IS HANDS DOWN THE GREATEST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO ME. IT WILL GIVE YOU ADVANTAGES AND OPPORTUNITIES THAT A 2L/3L AT A TOP 3 LAW SCHOOL DON'T EVEN HAVE.
Wow. Do you care to elaborate??

Also, is there a limit on what they consider "recent grad" (ie will they accept a potential SEO scholar who is 6 or more years removed from college or someone in their late 20s/early 30s?)

spiritniffler189

Bronze

Post by spiritniffler189 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:14 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
spiritniffler189 wrote:
Wow. Do you care to elaborate??

Also, is there a limit on what they consider "recent grad" (ie will they accept a potential SEO scholar who is 6 or more years removed from college or someone in their late 20s/early 30s?)
I don't think there's a hard limit -- like I said, someone 4yrs out was in it my yr (who was in their late 20s). Couldn't see why there'd be a cut off for 2 more yrs. Don't hesitate to reach out and ask -- they're pretty cool, although a small group so not sure how timely they'll be in response.

And I wasn't the anon, but if you go through this thread, I'm sure you'll see why it's such an incredible program. Working at a top firm before law school, making connections that in turn can lead to employment even for your 1L summer (although rare). Pretty awesome.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:24 am

spiritniffler189 wrote:I don't think there's a hard limit -- like I said, someone 4yrs out was in it my yr (who was in their late 20s). Couldn't see why there'd be a cut off for 2 more yrs. Don't hesitate to reach out and ask -- they're pretty cool, although a small group so not sure how timely they'll be in response.

And I wasn't the anon, but if you go through this thread, I'm sure you'll see why it's such an incredible program. Working at a top firm before law school, making connections that in turn can lead to employment even for your 1L summer (although rare). Pretty awesome.
Thanks so much. Do you think also having a recommendation from a former SEO alum (current attorney) might help?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:39 am

I would love to write you pages and pages about how great SEO is, but its already been done (just read the prior pages). If you can honestly put together an hour or so of your time to fill out the application, it could conceivably change your life. I went to a no name college for my undergrad and some how managed to get into a top 20 law school and was placed at a top 20 law firm through SEO. Believe me, I worked my ass off--nothing has EVER been handed to me. But now I'm here, only a few weeks into 1L, and already have a summer job ahead of me that 2L/3Ls would kill for.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:38 pm

Gah! I want this so badly!

AS33

Bronze

Post by AS33 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:38 pm

subtle wrote:Gah! I want this so badly!
You absolutely should!! :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:04 am

SEO ALUMNI HERE AS WELL! SEO was a blessing and I thank god that I had such a great opportunity. Apply to this program guys. Best summer of my life and I am sure all of my SEO Law family will agree. Please use this thread as your resource. Read as much as you can from it because honestly MOST of your questions can be answered by taking the time to read the posts from the past. That is what I did, and it was so helpful.

SEO was great on so many levels. You not only get to network at big law firms, you get to network with your fellow classmates. You will go into your 1l year with friends/acquaintances from a number T-20 law schools. Most of whom will be great contacts and perhaps play a major role in your professional career. Please apply, put your best self forward. It is highly competitive but the hard work and preparation pays off!

Good Luck!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:SEO ALUMNI HERE AS WELL! SEO was a blessing and I thank god that I had such a great opportunity. Apply to this program guys. Best summer of my life and I am sure all of my SEO Law family will agree. Please use this thread as your resource. Read as much as you can from it because honestly MOST of your questions can be answered by taking the time to read the posts from the past. That is what I did, and it was so helpful.

SEO was great on so many levels. You not only get to network at big law firms, you get to network with your fellow classmates. You will go into your 1l year with friends/acquaintances from a number T-20 law schools. Most of whom will be great contacts and perhaps play a major role in your professional career. Please apply, put your best self forward. It is highly competitive but the hard work and preparation pays off!

Good Luck!!
+1

also SEO '12 here. Best summer of my life so far. I can't wait for the rest of our careers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:36 pm

To all post-grad applicants interested in applying to SEO:

I recently contacted SEO directly asking if someone with several years work experience can apply, upon which they said yes, any applicant is eligible irrespective of number of years worked or removed from undergraduate so long as they intend to matriculate in law school Fall of 2013.

This also applies to any applicants with work experience in a legal setting/corporate law.

Hope this helps someone!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:19 pm

Currently attempting to fill out the SEO application. But the "upload" button for personal statement/transcripts doesn't work. Anyone else have the same problems?

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:54 pm

Woohoo! The deadline has officially passed. Let the waiting begin.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:55 pm

Whats the impact of the program you pick. If you pick DC for example and theres not enough spots, will you be considered for NY? I would like DC but don't want to pick it if its going to lessen my chance of getting into the program period. Any insight from alums would be appreciated!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”