SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:36 am

Just found this thread...had my interview yesterday and went for the LA region...anyone gotten offers yet for this area or know how many are typical? There weren't too too many firms represented.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Here's to hearing some good news today!!


Hope so... Not holding my breath... :|

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:21 am

I have my initial Skype interview next Friday! Questions: Does anyone have any tips ? Do I have to send in the letters of recommendation?

I've been looking through this threads but there are a lot of arguments going on....

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:25 am

Where are people planning living in NYC. Any tips for the housing search?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have my initial Skype interview next Friday! Questions: Does anyone have any tips ? Do I have to send in the letters of recommendation?

I've been looking through this threads but there are a lot of arguments going on....


Wait... NEXT Friday? As in May 4th? They will still be interviewing all next week?

I'm happy people are still getting interviews, but that's pretty nuts. Some of us will have less than 2-3 weeks to make arrangements.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have my initial Skype interview next Friday! Questions: Does anyone have any tips ? Do I have to send in the letters of recommendation?

I've been looking through this threads but there are a lot of arguments going on....


Wait... NEXT Friday? As in May 4th? They will still be interviewing all next week?

I'm happy people are still getting interviews, but that's pretty nuts. Some of us will have less than 2-3 weeks to make arrangements.



I would be careful if I were you. Someone brought up the exact same issue yesterday and was basically lynched by the SEO-trolls for daring to show any form of protest or dissatisfaction with SEO.

User avatar
POSERmyLOVE
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:52 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby POSERmyLOVE » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:13 am

Yes, next Friday! I don't mind making last minute arrangements I'm just glad I get a chance to interview! Hopefully they still have some slots available!


So if I'm really into public interest how to I market myself for corporate law? Yes, I want the great experience but besides that........?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:14 am

Is it confirmed that we start the 25th, or are we just going from last year's thread? I legitimately don't know and am having difficulty finding the exact date. I assumed with Dewey going through changes they might just start a bit later in June since they are still contacting people.

Either way, not much any of us can do. It's not as if anyone in knows where they are going to be or can buy housing yet, and while I understand that not knowing your plans can be frustrating, wouldn't it just be easier to withdraw if this is causing some of you guys that much stress? I mean that in the most non-dickish manner I can express, only because it seems like some of you really have alternate plans and I just wanted to let you know that the waiting doesn't stop after you're in, they still have placement and whatnot even in your respective city and with the class not being full yet I'm sure it's going to be difficult for them to do that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it confirmed that we start the 25th, or are we just going from last year's thread? I legitimately don't know and am having difficulty finding the exact date. I assumed with Dewey going through changes they might just start a bit later in June since they are still contacting people.

Either way, not much any of us can do. It's not as if anyone in knows where they are going to be or can buy housing yet, and while I understand that not knowing your plans can be frustrating, wouldn't it just be easier to withdraw if this is causing some of you guys that much stress? I mean that in the most non-dickish manner I can express, only because it seems like some of you really have alternate plans and I just wanted to let you know that the waiting doesn't stop after you're in, they still have placement and whatnot even in your respective city and with the class not being full yet I'm sure it's going to be difficult for them to do that.



Still kind of dickish. And knowing what city we'll be in actually does help, just a tiny bit. It, like, allows you to actually get serious about housing and, like, know where you're going to be moving. But please, lets not begin another debate vis-a-vis Mindless SEO Trolls v. Frustrated SEO Applicants

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it confirmed that we start the 25th, or are we just going from last year's thread? I legitimately don't know and am having difficulty finding the exact date. I assumed with Dewey going through changes they might just start a bit later in June since they are still contacting people.

Either way, not much any of us can do. It's not as if anyone in knows where they are going to be or can buy housing yet, and while I understand that not knowing your plans can be frustrating, wouldn't it just be easier to withdraw if this is causing some of you guys that much stress? I mean that in the most non-dickish manner I can express, only because it seems like some of you really have alternate plans and I just wanted to let you know that the waiting doesn't stop after you're in, they still have placement and whatnot even in your respective city and with the class not being full yet I'm sure it's going to be difficult for them to do that.


Yep, they confirmed it. Unless something just changed, it will be the 25th.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:36 am

POSERmyLOVE wrote:Yes, next Friday! I don't mind making last minute arrangements I'm just glad I get a chance to interview! Hopefully they still have some slots available!


So if I'm really into public interest how to I market myself for corporate law? Yes, I want the great experience but besides that........?


Just start by not telling them you really want public interest. They want people committed to corporate law because this internship is a possible starting point for a career in the field. If you have a PI background you can spin that into your contributions to the community, which they seem to value highly.

Honestly, if you're committed to PI this internship may not be the right fit for you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
POSERmyLOVE wrote:Yes, next Friday! I don't mind making last minute arrangements I'm just glad I get a chance to interview! Hopefully they still have some slots available!


So if I'm really into public interest how to I market myself for corporate law? Yes, I want the great experience but besides that........?


Just start by not telling them you really want public interest. They want people committed to corporate law because this internship is a possible starting point for a career in the field. If you have a PI background you can spin that into your contributions to the community, which they seem to value highly.

Honestly, if you're committed to PI this internship may not be the right fit for you.


I disagree. I'm an alum and a current student who has gone through the hiring process. PI jobs are extremely difficult to get. Even if you have top grades. There just aren't that many positions due to the fed and PI orgs not having any money. A number of my PI minded friends will be summering/have summered at biglaw firms for a number of reasons in addition to there being little to no entry level PI positions. First, biglaw is a great place to get the training you need to start your career. Second, biglaw is a revolving door ESPECIALLY in DC where you go from firm to govt and other opportunities. Third, making 31k is very nice for loans and living for a soon to be poor PI lawyer. My point is that even if you think/know you want to do PI at this point you could very well end up at a large law firm at least for a summer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
POSERmyLOVE wrote:Yes, next Friday! I don't mind making last minute arrangements I'm just glad I get a chance to interview! Hopefully they still have some slots available!


So if I'm really into public interest how to I market myself for corporate law? Yes, I want the great experience but besides that........?


Just start by not telling them you really want public interest. They want people committed to corporate law because this internship is a possible starting point for a career in the field. If you have a PI background you can spin that into your contributions to the community, which they seem to value highly.

Honestly, if you're committed to PI this internship may not be the right fit for you.


I disagree. I'm an alum and a current student who has gone through the hiring process. PI jobs are extremely difficult to get. Even if you have top grades. There just aren't that many positions due to the fed and PI orgs not having any money. A number of my PI minded friends will be summering/have summered at biglaw firms for a number of reasons in addition to there being little to no entry level PI positions. First, biglaw is a great place to get the training you need to start your career. Second, biglaw is a revolving door ESPECIALLY in DC where you go from firm to govt and other opportunities. Third, making 31k is very nice for loans and living for a soon to be poor PI lawyer. My point is that even if you think/know you want to do PI at this point you could very well end up at a large law firm at least for a summer.


Right that's why I qualified it. If you're one of those people who just don't want biglaw and have to do PI than this isn't right for you. I agree that there tend to be less truly PI-committed people because of the realities of the job market.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it confirmed that we start the 25th, or are we just going from last year's thread? I legitimately don't know and am having difficulty finding the exact date. I assumed with Dewey going through changes they might just start a bit later in June since they are still contacting people.

Either way, not much any of us can do. It's not as if anyone in knows where they are going to be or can buy housing yet, and while I understand that not knowing your plans can be frustrating, wouldn't it just be easier to withdraw if this is causing some of you guys that much stress? I mean that in the most non-dickish manner I can express, only because it seems like some of you really have alternate plans and I just wanted to let you know that the waiting doesn't stop after you're in, they still have placement and whatnot even in your respective city and with the class not being full yet I'm sure it's going to be difficult for them to do that.


Yep, they confirmed it. Unless something just changed, it will be the 25th.



If I'm not mistaken that 25th date is just the orientation correct? Speaking to people from last year, some had their orientations a couple weeks before they actually began their internship (actually firm start dates can vary from firm to firm).

User avatar
Fujin11
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:18 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Fujin11 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:24 pm

Another interesting point concerning recommendation letters: Their website says you only have to provide one if selected for an "in-person interview." I'm inclined to wonder whether this includes their aptly named "virtual Interview[s]" or not, if it did why wouldn't they just say interview? There's no reason for them to specify in person unless that's exactly what they mean

maybe I'm just reading into it too much but you must be precise as the law is a precise endeavor.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Fujin11 wrote:Another interesting point concerning recommendation letters: Their website says you only have to provide one if selected for an "in-person interview." I'm inclined to wonder whether this includes their aptly named "virtual Interview[s]" or not, if it did why wouldn't they just say interview? There's no reason for them to specify in person unless that's exactly what they mean

maybe I'm just reading into it too much but you must be precise as the law is a precise endeavor.



Your first interview is referred to as the "in-person" whether its actually in-person or via Skype. So yes, you have to provide one.

User avatar
POSERmyLOVE
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:52 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby POSERmyLOVE » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:33 pm

In the FAQ they just say a recommendation letter is needed if you are invited for an "interview." However in the application they do say "in-person interview" so I am not exactly sure if I need to send a letter of rec but it's better to be safe than sorry.

User avatar
POSERmyLOVE
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:52 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby POSERmyLOVE » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fujin11 wrote:Another interesting point concerning recommendation letters: Their website says you only have to provide one if selected for an "in-person interview." I'm inclined to wonder whether this includes their aptly named "virtual Interview[s]" or not, if it did why wouldn't they just say interview? There's no reason for them to specify in person unless that's exactly what they mean

maybe I'm just reading into it too much but you must be precise as the law is a precise endeavor.



Your first interview is referred to as the "in-person" whether its actually in-person or via Skype. So yes, you have to provide one.


Thanks, I'll send one in!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:35 pm

Have all of you who have interviewed and are just waiting actually submitted your enrollment decision?

The way I understand it, they can't move on your application until you make a decision. So my guess is, if you're complete, and haven't been accepted yet, they're just not sure about you, which is why they're still interviewing through next week. I'd bet that the people who are interviewing just now will hear back right away either way; they were "maybes", and some people became "maybes" after the interview/school choice submission, so now they have to re-assess and interview more candidates.

Not to be an SEO "troll", but if you haven't made a decision, then you can't complain, since they've always said you need to make your decision before you can be accepted/rejected.

Like someone else already said, if you've got a better option this summer, then withdraw. If you want this, then be patient.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have all of you who have interviewed and are just waiting actually submitted your enrollment decision?

The way I understand it, they can't move on your application until you make a decision. So my guess is, if you're complete, and haven't been accepted yet, they're just not sure about you, which is why they're still interviewing through next week. I'd bet that the people who are interviewing just now will hear back right away either way; they were "maybes", and some people became "maybes" after the interview/school choice submission, so now they have to re-assess and interview more candidates.

Not to be an SEO "troll", but if you haven't made a decision, then you can't complain, since they've always said you need to make your decision before you can be accepted/rejected.

Like someone else already said, if you've got a better option this summer, then withdraw. If you want this, then be patient.



IF making decision = deposit, then yeah we have

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have all of you who have interviewed and are just waiting actually submitted your enrollment decision?

The way I understand it, they can't move on your application until you make a decision. So my guess is, if you're complete, and haven't been accepted yet, they're just not sure about you, which is why they're still interviewing through next week. I'd bet that the people who are interviewing just now will hear back right away either way; they were "maybes", and some people became "maybes" after the interview/school choice submission, so now they have to re-assess and interview more candidates.

Not to be an SEO "troll", but if you haven't made a decision, then you can't complain, since they've always said you need to make your decision before you can be accepted/rejected.

Like someone else already said, if you've got a better option this summer, then withdraw. If you want this, then be patient.



IF making decision = deposit, then yeah we have



+1

And I think the analysis is probably a little misguided. Makes too many assumptions with no knowledge of the SEO process. Especially in such a quirky year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:50 pm

do we upload our seat deposit on the website or email it to them?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:16 pm

Just wanted to share that I heard back positively today. I won't share specifics, but wanted to reassure everyone that they are making progress and are working really hard to place people.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just wanted to share that I heard back positively today. I won't share specifics, but wanted to reassure everyone that they are making progress and are working really hard to place people.


Awesome to hear. Guess I'll get off their back. Thinking I'm on the bubble or just in the "no" pile. Good luck to everyone. Going to start making other plans for the summer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just wanted to share that I heard back positively today. I won't share specifics, but wanted to reassure everyone that they are making progress and are working really hard to place people.



Congrats!

For those who have heard back. Were you told your firm placement or just the city placement?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.