SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Guchster

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Guchster » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:14 pm

salsahips wrote:So the original non-PC, stereotypical stereotyper poster said something about black suits getting on partner's nerves?? Can someone expand, black suits are a no-no??

For the purposes of seo (and more conservative environments), black suits are only okay for women. If you're a guy, you'll need to stick to charcoal or navy suits.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:15 pm

salsahips wrote:
azntwice wrote:Black suits are not okay for guys, but they are okay for girls. (It's an old-fashioned rule that black is only okay for funerals, but somehow girls can get away with it).

Thanks, so I guess it's all gray and dark blue?

to be specific, charcoal. not all "gray" suits are okay. medium or even lighter gray suits won't be proper SEO attire.

also, make sure you only buy white shirts. even baby blue isn't okay by more conservative partners.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else had their follow-up interview yet? Mind giving a brief general blurb on the format?

How long was it? Was it less informal then the first one? Case Study? Behavioral questions?

+1

I had mine already. No case study, it was MORE informal (thus less formal) than the first one, though I would still recommend dressing just as formal. It was basically a condensed, more conversational version of the first interview. I got asked maybe 3-4 questions, and all questions that I was asked during the in-person interview.

Has SEO been giving offers to people shortly after the follow-up interviews? Looking at the older posts from past cycles, some people found out a few hours after their follow-up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:10 pm

Is it possible to defer an SEO offer for one year?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:46 pm

what did you guys turn in as proof of enrollment?
do i just copy and paste the text from my email receipt into a document and submit it to the quick update section or do i forward the deposit paid email to someone from SEO?

AS33

Postby AS33 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what did you guys turn in as proof of enrollment?
do i just copy and paste the text from my email receipt into a document and submit it to the quick update section or do i forward the deposit paid email to someone from SEO?

+1. I didn't even get an email receipt, just the screen that says "thank you" and "congratulations". Surely I can't copy and paste that?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:46 pm

How late do you think can we send the enrollment/deposit and still have a shot?

salsahips

Postby salsahips » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:04 pm

AS33 wrote:

+1. I didn't even get an email receipt, just the screen that says "thank you" and "congratulations". Surely I can't copy and paste that?

I scanned my enrollment form and seat deposit check.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:41 pm

salsahips wrote:
AS33 wrote:

I scanned my enrollment form and seat deposit check.

What if you enrolled online and it gave no receipt? Also, should the enrollment info be emailed in or should I just add it as a quick update?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:04 pm

Any movement recently? Follow-up interviews or offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:40 am

This is like watching paint dry.

lndixon

Postby lndixon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any movement recently? Follow-up interviews or offers?

Seems like there was a big influx of follow-up requests last week. One guy said he got a rejection notification.

But other than that, nothing. :cry:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:04 pm

I didn't get my SEO offer until the last week in April. I remember this being relatively early.

Don't panic guys.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I didn't get my SEO offer until the last week in April. I remember this being relatively early.

Don't panic guys.

How long after your follow-up did you get the offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I didn't get my SEO offer until the last week in April. I remember this being relatively early.

Don't panic guys.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:28 pm

I wonder who is going to let people know the status of their applications first, Stanford or SEO

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Don't panic guys.

Never had a follow up. Not everyone does.

I had my interview first week of march, though, in New York at HQ.

AS33

Postby AS33 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:56 pm

Can someone please PM me if they recently had a Skype follow up interview with someone from the program who seems to be "higher up" ?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:02 pm

How long do people usually have to wait for an offer/rejection after their follow-up interviews?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:13 pm

Everyone needs to calm down. RELAX PEOPLE.

As alums can tell you, don't read too much into the logistics of their selection process.

There's no specific pattern to how long you'll have to wait for a decision. While some might try to argue the earlier you apply, the sooner you'll find out, even that isn't true all the time.

Whether or not you got a skype interview doesn't affect your chances. Usually, the directors like to have a look at you (or maybe they might want a second one). Regardless, shit load of people got in (including me)--and rejected-- without one, and a shit load of people got in--and rejected--that had one.

Decisions last year happened in huge waves. The big ones started at the end of april and continued until the first few weeks of may. We couldn't perceive any trend on why groups found out first over others. It doesn't have to do when your interview was, it doesn't even have to do who you interviewed with, necessarily.

It's a human process of selection that depends a lot on fit, and what law firms want and need. until then, don't read too much into this process.

if you have questions about the application process, give SEO a call (don't send an email, typos, as you'll come to find out ANNOY THE FUCK out of SEO, and it's better to avoid having things in writing, as you'll find out at your firms). Alums know just as little about you on this process, and probably know less about logistical details than even you know since we're 1+ yrs removed.

I remember being very stressed and worried about it last year, and I get the idea of venting. I just want to tell you guys to calm the fuck down, because you have ZERO control at this point, and your fate is unknown to everyone but the admissions committee.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:33 pm

So when does the program actually start. I think my interviewer said around mid may? Anyone know when we have to be in NYC

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So when does the program actually start. I think my interviewer said around mid may? Anyone know when we have to be in NYC

last year, first week of june

cli happens last two weeks or so of july. if you go back to your firm after CLI depends on how long your firm wants you around. people were at firms 6-8 wks + CLI for a total of 8-10 wks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So when does the program actually start. I think my interviewer said around mid may? Anyone know when we have to be in NYC

last year, first week of june

cli happens last two weeks or so of july. if you go back to your firm after CLI depends on how long your firm wants you around. people were at firms 6-8 wks + CLI for a total of 8-10 wks.

On the SEO website they have the Corporate Law orientation on May 25th. The actual internship may not start that early, but you'll probably have to be in the city for that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:37 am

for the follow up/skype calls, should we treat it in preparation terms just as the interview? (professional attire, resume on hand. etc)

my schedule is all kinds of busy this week and may have to Skype from campus, not really trying to dress up for a whole day if i don't need to

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wonder who is going to let people know the status of their applications first, Stanford or SEO

Stanford. FYI, they are waiting for a few schools to release decisions. That's also delaying the process.

Return to “Legal Employment”