SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 310054
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I'm assuming that the dress code for most, if not all, of the firms for SEO require you to suit up for work every day?


Depends no your firm. I'd say most are business casual (firm business casual, mind you). a few are business formal all the time (jones day, wachtell, etc.). I personally wore a suit everyday even though I wasn't expected to. Most people in the program did the same.

Firm receptions mon./tues. last year will obviously require you to suit up in very strict SEO attire.

CLI ranges from strict SEO attired to casual (which we only got 1 day because assholes screwed it up, i'm looking at you NYU kids)

Anonymous User
Posts: 310054
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:I don't understand why you keep harping on privilege and entitlement unless you consider anyone you disagree with privileged and entitled. In any case, it is not my intention to derail this thread, carry on.


yeah you should probably just email your suggestions to SEO. i don't know how helpful it is posting them here.

Anonymous User
Posts: 310054
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I'm assuming that the dress code for most, if not all, of the firms for SEO require you to suit up for work every day?


Depends no your firm. I'd say most are business casual (firm business casual, mind you). a few are business formal all the time (jones day, wachtell, etc.). I personally wore a suit everyday even though I wasn't expected to. Most people in the program did the same.

Firm receptions mon./tues. last year will obviously require you to suit up in very strict SEO attire.

CLI ranges from strict SEO attired to casual (which we only got 1 day because assholes screwed it up, i'm looking at you NYU kids)


Ah thanks. I'm currently working and only wear business casual (straight collar or button-down). I'll start looking into expanding my suit and tie collection

daydreamer

Bronze
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby daydreamer » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:57 am

I feel like, given how awesome an opportunity like SEO is, I don't see how anyone could complain. Especially when it seems like their only motive in giving any kind of advice is to help you be succesful.

Anyways, I'm officially out of the running. I'm kind of disappointed, I wasn't even offered an interview, despite T14 acceptances. :( Good luck to everyone else still waiting, it sounds like an amazing opportunity.

Anonymous User
Posts: 310054
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:59 am

Anonymous User wrote: Same with our OCI> I have zero intention going through it by my school. I'm tapping on my SEO contacts for callbacks.


It will behoove you to take OCI seriously.

Anonymous User
Posts: 310054
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:I don't understand why you keep harping on privilege and entitlement unless you consider anyone you disagree with privileged and entitled. In any case, it is not my intention to derail this thread, carry on.


also, calm down your PCness. As a person of color, one of the things I, and you, should be mindful of is that the larger population has this perception of us. And based off my life experience, it can be true a lot of the time. the program takes proactive steps to make sure we dont' live up to the stereotype.

I'm not the same anonymous poster that responded to you before (calling you privileged and entitled). it looks like there are 3 different alums here based on the responses telling you to snap out of it.

I'm not calling you that because I disagree with you, I'm calling you that because you keep complaining about things as if you're too good to be told them, when in reality, maybe you do. what's wrong with people telling you what to do, if it's in your best interest? are you too mature or too good to be told how to act, when the advice is in your best interest? working in a cooperate environment, you need to understand that no one is too old or too good not to be condescended to. deal with it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 310054
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else had their follow-up interview yet? Mind giving a brief general blurb on the format?

How long was it? Was it less informal then the first one? Case Study? Behavioral questions?



+1

Anonymous User
Posts: 310054
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Same with our OCI> I have zero intention going through it by my school. I'm tapping on my SEO contacts for callbacks.


It will behoove you to take OCI seriously.


poster is retarded.

hates being condescended to. doesn't mind condescending to others.

Anonymous User
Posts: 310054
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote: I'm not calling you that because I disagree with you, I'm calling you that because you keep complaining about things as if you're too good to be told them, when in reality, maybe you do. what's wrong with people telling you what to do, if it's in your best interest? are you too mature or too good to be told how to act, when the advice is in your best interest? working in a cooperate environment, you need to understand that no one is too old or too good not to be condescended to. deal with it.


In order to call me privileged, you must be familiar with the details of my life. The accusations of entitlement are frankly, ironic. Anyone can disagree with the substance of my opinion without personal characterizations. The dude calling me privileged and entitled for expressing dissent is no more justified than anyone calling him a lemming for supporting the status quo. I really don't want to derail an otherwise fruitful thread. It's a private organization entitled to its policies at the end of the day.

Anonymous User
Posts: 310054
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote: also, calm down your PCness. As a person of color...


Oh the irony

User avatar
salsahips

Bronze
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby salsahips » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:31 am

So the original non-PC, stereotypical stereotyper poster said something about black suits getting on partner's nerves?? Can someone expand, black suits are a no-no??

User avatar
salsahips

Bronze
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby salsahips » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:32 am

daydreamer wrote:I feel like, given how awesome an opportunity like SEO is, I don't see how anyone could complain. Especially when it seems like their only motive in giving any kind of advice is to help you be succesful.

Anyways, I'm officially out of the running. I'm kind of disappointed, I wasn't even offered an interview, despite T14 acceptances. :( Good luck to everyone else still waiting, it sounds like an amazing opportunity.



Why are you out of the running, did they just never contact you? It's surprising with your numbers and acceptances, are you not a URM?

Anonymous User
Posts: 310054
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else had their follow-up interview yet? Mind giving a brief general blurb on the format?

How long was it? Was it less informal then the first one? Case Study? Behavioral questions?



+1


I had mine already. No case study, it was MORE informal (thus less formal) than the first one, though I would still recommend dressing just as formal. It was basically a condensed, more conversational version of the first interview. I got asked maybe 3-4 questions, and all questions that I was asked during the in-person interview.

Anonymous User
Posts: 310054
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:39 am

salsahips wrote:
daydreamer wrote:I feel like, given how awesome an opportunity like SEO is, I don't see how anyone could complain. Especially when it seems like their only motive in giving any kind of advice is to help you be succesful.

Anyways, I'm officially out of the running. I'm kind of disappointed, I wasn't even offered an interview, despite T14 acceptances. :( Good luck to everyone else still waiting, it sounds like an amazing opportunity.



Why are you out of the running, did they just never contact you? It's surprising with your numbers and acceptances, are you not a URM?


They sent me an email notifying me that my application status had been updated and then directed me to their website where I found out I was not accepted. I am not a URM (Asian) so that may have had something to do with it, although, I really don't know.

User avatar
salsahips

Bronze
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby salsahips » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
salsahips wrote:
daydreamer wrote:I feel like, given how awesome an opportunity like SEO is, I don't see how anyone could complain. Especially when it seems like their only motive in giving any kind of advice is to help you be succesful.

Anyways, I'm officially out of the running. I'm kind of disappointed, I wasn't even offered an interview, despite T14 acceptances. :( Good luck to everyone else still waiting, it sounds like an amazing opportunity.



Why are you out of the running, did they just never contact you? It's surprising with your numbers and acceptances, are you not a URM?


They sent me an email notifying me that my application status had been updated and then directed me to their website where I found out I was not accepted. I am not a URM (Asian) so that may have had something to do with it, although, I really don't know.


I see, sorry about that. I wouldn't be too disappointed, you have a choice between some really great schools.

Anonymous User
Posts: 310054
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:42 am

Is it normal to have "Deadline has Passed" under check you application?

Anonymous User
Posts: 310054
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
salsahips wrote:
daydreamer wrote:I feel like, given how awesome an opportunity like SEO is, I don't see how anyone could complain. Especially when it seems like their only motive in giving any kind of advice is to help you be succesful.

Anyways, I'm officially out of the running. I'm kind of disappointed, I wasn't even offered an interview, despite T14 acceptances. :( Good luck to everyone else still waiting, it sounds like an amazing opportunity.



Why are you out of the running, did they just never contact you? It's surprising with your numbers and acceptances, are you not a URM?


They sent me an email notifying me that my application status had been updated and then directed me to their website where I found out I was not accepted. I am not a URM (Asian) so that may have had something to do with it, although, I really don't know.


Do you mind telling us schools you've gotten into? Sorry to hear the bad news.

daydreamer

Bronze
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby daydreamer » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
salsahips wrote:
daydreamer wrote:I feel like, given how awesome an opportunity like SEO is, I don't see how anyone could complain. Especially when it seems like their only motive in giving any kind of advice is to help you be succesful.

Anyways, I'm officially out of the running. I'm kind of disappointed, I wasn't even offered an interview, despite T14 acceptances. :( Good luck to everyone else still waiting, it sounds like an amazing opportunity.



Why are you out of the running, did they just never contact you? It's surprising with your numbers and acceptances, are you not a URM?


They sent me an email notifying me that my application status had been updated and then directed me to their website where I found out I was not accepted. I am not a URM (Asian) so that may have had something to do with it, although, I really don't know.


Do you mind telling us schools you've gotten into? Sorry to hear the bad news.


Yeah, no worries it was kind of expected. I didn't mean to post anonymously, my full stats are in my profile.

I was accepted to Columbia, Michigan, Duke, Georgetown, Cornell, and Texas.

Anonymous User
Posts: 310054
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it normal to have "Deadline has Passed" under check you application?


Yes. This is perfectly normal. I still have that under mine and I've been accepted. My decision status was posted a little ways below that heading.

azntwice

Bronze
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:46 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby azntwice » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: That is just plain BS. Good luck being inserted in the summer program of some of the biggest and best law firms in the world the summer before law school using nothing but your own charm and gumption. There is literally nothing someone can do the summer before law school that will better prepare one for getting a big firm job. Nothing


The chief benefit (as you're aware) is that it gives you some sort of advantage in getting 1L or 2L positions both of which are definitely not outside one's grasp for a minority candidate at the schools they recruit from. Is it a good opportunity? Yes but there are numerous other great(er) opportunities that don't resort to these unnecessary tactics. Goldman Sachs doesn't do this shit. Most of us have the intelligence to function appropriately in a corporate environment and have held professional/quasi-professional/corporate positions before. I understand there are K-JD's in our midst who may need direction but SEO's modus operandi is downright gestapo-esque and counter-productive. Not mad at all, I'm simply offering what in my estimation, is a valid criticism. Whatever image they are trying to project can be achieved with tactful subtlety. I'm surprised they haven't yet resorted to giving the ladies lessons in equestrianism before sending them off to their firms.



Alum here. You are completely wrong about Goldman Sachs. They also participate in SEO programs -- not the Corporate Law program, obviously, but they take other SEO interns from the other programs.

I also hated SEO's strictness and their ridiculous rules, especially the condescending attitude that we were treated with most of the time. The major reason is that if you screw it up, they will no longer have the resources or willing partner firms to take on future generations of (let's face it) pretty much useless interns. As they will constantly tell you if you get in, it's not about you; it's about those who came before you and those who come after you. And that's the whole non-profit model of SEO anyway, which you should all know if you've applied. If you do the program, do it with a smile. Because you're still better off than all the other kids who aren't doing the program. No matter what, the extra summer of work experience spent at a firm will HELP you.

Also, for other posters:
Asian qualifies as URM for SEO.
Black suits are not okay for guys, but they are okay for girls. (It's an old-fashioned rule that black is only okay for funerals, but somehow girls can get away with it).

User avatar
salsahips

Bronze
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby salsahips » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:11 pm

azntwice wrote:Black suits are not okay for guys, but they are okay for girls. (It's an old-fashioned rule that black is only okay for funerals, but somehow girls can get away with it).



Thanks, so I guess it's all gray and dark blue?

User avatar
Guchster

Silver
Posts: 1246
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Guchster » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:14 pm

salsahips wrote:So the original non-PC, stereotypical stereotyper poster said something about black suits getting on partner's nerves?? Can someone expand, black suits are a no-no??


For the purposes of seo (and more conservative environments), black suits are only okay for women. If you're a guy, you'll need to stick to charcoal or navy suits.

User avatar
Guchster

Silver
Posts: 1246
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Guchster » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:15 pm

salsahips wrote:
azntwice wrote:Black suits are not okay for guys, but they are okay for girls. (It's an old-fashioned rule that black is only okay for funerals, but somehow girls can get away with it).



Thanks, so I guess it's all gray and dark blue?


to be specific, charcoal. not all "gray" suits are okay. medium or even lighter gray suits won't be proper SEO attire.

also, make sure you only buy white shirts. even baby blue isn't okay by more conservative partners.

Anonymous User
Posts: 310054
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else had their follow-up interview yet? Mind giving a brief general blurb on the format?

How long was it? Was it less informal then the first one? Case Study? Behavioral questions?



+1


I had mine already. No case study, it was MORE informal (thus less formal) than the first one, though I would still recommend dressing just as formal. It was basically a condensed, more conversational version of the first interview. I got asked maybe 3-4 questions, and all questions that I was asked during the in-person interview.



Has SEO been giving offers to people shortly after the follow-up interviews? Looking at the older posts from past cycles, some people found out a few hours after their follow-up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 310054
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:10 pm

Is it possible to defer an SEO offer for one year?



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.