SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thelawyler

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby thelawyler » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:42 am

So there is a lot of talk about having to prove "enrollment" at a school in order to get an interview. I've read about 70 pages of this thread and I could not find a clear cut answer: does a deposit suffice as proof of enrollment or is there another honor code or contract that we need to sign with SEO regarding this matter? I ask because I anticipate/hope for some waitlist action deep in the cycle, well into April and May, which would be after I had deposited and "committed" to a school as far as SEO is concerned.

Also, how do they view depositing at multiple schools if a clear choice has not been made? Do they respect changes due to waitlist? I understand they wish to be very professional, but deciding which school to go to is actually a very important decision.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:03 am

thelawyler wrote:So there is a lot of talk about having to prove "enrollment" at a school in order to get an interview. I've read about 70 pages of this thread and I could not find a clear cut answer: does a deposit suffice as proof of enrollment or is there another honor code or contract that we need to sign with SEO regarding this matter? I ask because I anticipate/hope for some waitlist action deep in the cycle, well into April and May, which would be after I had deposited and "committed" to a school as far as SEO is concerned.

Also, how do they view depositing at multiple schools if a clear choice has not been made? Do they respect changes due to waitlist? I understand they wish to be very professional, but deciding which school to go to is actually a very important decision.

The proof of enrollment is not necessary for getting an interview. It has more to do with an extension of an offer etc.

daydreamer

Postby daydreamer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:23 am

It's been almost 5 weeks since I've submitted my application and still no offer for an interview. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...just to clarify I don't have to fax acceptance letters do I? I have a feeling that Asian males may be at a slight disadvantage. :(

lndixon

Postby lndixon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:26 pm

I got my interview request after about 2 and a half weeks. They don't ask for acceptance letters before the interview. I plan on bringing copies of mine with me though. I know they want a receipt of your seat deposit before they give you the official internship offer.

No comment on the race point. I've heard they've accepted asians before though.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:27 pm

lndixon wrote:I got my interview request after about 2 and a half weeks. They don't ask for acceptance letters before the interview. I plan on bringing copies of mine with me though. I know they want a receipt of your seat deposit before they give you the official internship offer.

No comment on the race point. I've heard they've accepted asians before though.

Everything in this response is credited.

Also, asian is a urm for corp law, so you should definitely apply--there were a few my year and in years past. I think not many apply because they think seo is for traditional urms, but it definitely does, so do it!

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:27 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
thelawyler wrote:So there is a lot of talk about having to prove "enrollment" at a school in order to get an interview. I've read about 70 pages of this thread and I could not find a clear cut answer: does a deposit suffice as proof of enrollment or is there another honor code or contract that we need to sign with SEO regarding this matter? I ask because I anticipate/hope for some waitlist action deep in the cycle, well into April and May, which would be after I had deposited and "committed" to a school as far as SEO is concerned.

The proof of enrollment is not necessary for getting an interview. It has more to do with an extension of an offer etc.

Oh, I did not mean interview. I meant an offer.

lndixon

Postby lndixon » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:31 pm

thelawyler wrote:Oh, I did not mean interview. I meant an offer.

They definitely want the seat deposit receipt for an offer. But the debate is over whether or not they're exclusively T14 when it comes to where the proof of enrollment is.

ralph_pootawn

Postby ralph_pootawn » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:12 pm

anyone have any idea how many people they interview vs how many people they accept.

shbe0701

Postby shbe0701 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:29 pm

Last edited by shbe0701 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:40 pm

lndixon wrote:

They definitely want the seat deposit receipt for an offer. But the debate is over whether or not they're exclusively T14 when it comes to where the proof of enrollment is.

This is correct. It was stressed in my interview WE WILL NOT MAKE AN OFFER until you've decided on your offers and sent in proof of deposit.

Also, to whoever asked about Asians. On the Michigan C/O 2015 Facebook group an SEO alum (Asian) posted that if anyone was ANY type of minority they should apply.

I think there's no harm done in applying even if you're white and LGBT or whatever other type of minority you think you might be. The worst that could happen is they say no and it's not like you're paying for an application. It's a really good opportunity from what all the alums say they really enjoyed it. So apply!

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:32 pm

JoeMo wrote:
lndixon wrote:

This is correct. It was stressed in my interview WE WILL NOT MAKE AN OFFER until you've decided on your offers and sent in proof of deposit.

Also, to whoever asked about Asians. On the Michigan C/O 2015 Facebook group an SEO alum (Asian) posted that if anyone was ANY type of minority they should apply.

I think there's no harm done in applying even if you're white and LGBT or whatever other type of minority you think you might be. The worst that could happen is they say no and it's not like you're paying for an application. It's a really good opportunity from what all the alums say they really enjoyed it. So apply!

Well, deposit does not mean you've decided. As in it is not your final decision, because you can always deposit at 2-3 places to get more time to think about it. Do they care if you do that? How about if you stay on and get in off a wait list?

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:36 am

thelawyler wrote:Well, deposit does not mean you've decided. As in it is not your final decision, because you can always deposit at 2-3 places to get more time to think about it. Do they care if you do that? How about if you stay on and get in off a wait list?

I don't know from personal experience but it's a known fact that you might deposit and enroll in a school while still waiting for some other schools to finalize offers. As long as the school is similar or better than the one you showed them a deposit for, it would be fine.

Now if you sent them an enrollment to Yale but then ended up going to the Thomas Jefferson School of Law when you got in off the waitlist, that might be a problem.

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:29 pm

If you read back in this thread (can't tell you what page, I ended up beasting through most of it), you can see that some were accepted in previous years and then later changed their deposit after financial aid or getting into a better school. IT was rare, but SEO seems to work with you. Honestly, it seems like besides the firms likely having certain school quotas, SEO chooses candidates based on their ability to present well and who they think will potentially work well within a firm, the T14 acceptance just seems to be their way of ensuring that a successful interview is also accompanied by a sharp mind. I could be wrong though, but either way if you are into two schools and know it's going to be either one and you think SEO is a real possibility, wouldn't potentially losing $500 be more than worth the benefit of working for the summer for a top firm (and even with exorbitant pricing, I'm sure if you wanted you could resave that $500 deposit by working).

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:47 pm

Alright thanks. Yeah I read through the first 60-70 pages and I didn't see it so I figured it was about time to ask, haha.

salsahips

Postby salsahips » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:41 pm

hyakku wrote:Had mine recently. Gotta say thanks so much to Rand for his PM. I'm pretty sure as long as my acceptances don't hold me back I got it. Maybe I'm a poor judge of character, but I'm pretty sure they liked me and my answers (unless they just smile alot to throw you off, but if so that's a pretty bad strategy :lol: ). Definitely want to stress that the preparation made it so much easier, a lot of the times they didn't even have to prompt me with the questions, it was more like a conversation or exchange. They were tough in the beginning, and I was nervous (I guess, shuffling papers and looking at your phone seems like pretty normal behavior for me. I guess growing up in our generation can do that), but by the end I felt really comfortable talking with them and they were pretty helpful in terms of some advice / info they gave me (that alone was worth it). They seem really interested in all the candidates beyond just GPA / LSAT / Acceptance. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like slaying the interview can really mitigate not having an acceptance from H or the likes.

Now watch me talk all this nonsense and rejected :lol: . Like some other posters said though, my case study was verbal. I'm not sure how I did on that as I felt like I was coherent, but I didn't want to come across like I knew the law, so I tried to temper my responses and ask some clarifying questions.

Honestly though, for future applicants, just practice that list of questions, get your answers concise and commit a structure to memory so you can help steer your interview and at least have control over the few things you can actually have control over (pacing, dress, presentation, etc). When they open, don't hit them with a 4 minute spiel about your life, where you came from, how you watched Judge judy as a kid, etc. I think a big part of being able to stay confident is not really giving them three minutes to get bored with one answer in the first place. And if nothing else, look at it like a learnig experience. I felt like I really did come away better prepared for future interviews after that.

Thank you again to all the previous applicants (ESPECIALLY RAND), I really appreciate the help and all I've taken away from this. It was fun.

Last edited by salsahips on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:48 pm

shbe0701 wrote:162/3.6x AA with lots of softs. I applied 12/19 and have not heard anything back yet. My biggest acceptances so far are Boston U, George Washington, UCLA, and Notre Dame. Do you guys think that that's not good enough for them and an explanation of why I have not been asked to interview yet? Or.... am I just jumping the gun?

I have the same question too. 161/3.99 African American female. I applied on 12/15 and have been accepted into 10 schools. They said that they would update me on my status, but I haven't heard from them.

Also, I'm not interested (as of now) in practicing corporate law, but think it would be a good pre-law opportunity. And I'm not planning on attending a Top 15 school (I saw an earlier post and it looked like almost everyone was going to a T14) and will probably go to school in the south. Based and you all and your experiences, do you think this might hold me back from getting a placement?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:17 am

cutecarmel wrote:
shbe0701 wrote:162/3.6x AA with lots of softs. I applied 12/19 and have not heard anything back yet. My biggest acceptances so far are Boston U, George Washington, UCLA, and Notre Dame. Do you guys think that that's not good enough for them and an explanation of why I have not been asked to interview yet? Or.... am I just jumping the gun?

I have the same question too. 161/3.99 African American female. I applied on 12/15 and have been accepted into 10 schools. They said that they would update me on my status, but I haven't heard from them.

Also, I'm not interested (as of now) in practicing corporate law, but think it would be a good pre-law opportunity. And I'm not planning on attending a Top 15 school (I saw an earlier post and it looked like almost everyone was going to a T14) and will probably go to school in the south. Based and you all and your experiences, do you think this might hold me back from getting a placement?

Yes, this is an internship for people who want to practice corporate law and who are competitive for future employment by certain firms. If you are sure you want to practice corporate law but go to a school a little lower on the totem pole they'll work with you. If you're not 100% sure you want to practice corporate law but you're going to a top ranked school, they'll work with you. If you show that you have no interest in corporate law or attending a top law school, they'll probably interview candidates that better fit their criteria. You might want to check out something like CLEO. They aren't as stringent with school requirements or choice of career (I did their LA conference before I started law school).

rdnicholson10

Postby rdnicholson10 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:38 pm

Anyone know where I can find sample interview questions and/or tips? Just received my invitation to interview...

parebare23

Postby parebare23 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:52 pm

rdnicholson10 wrote:Anyone know where I can find sample interview questions and/or tips? Just received my invitation to interview...

This is my first with the corporate law program... any tips/topic help from those who have been through it or have knowledge about the law program interview?

Congrats on the interview as well!
Last edited by parebare23 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:31 pm

SEO Corporate Law class of 2010. Yes, Asians are accepted. No, you will probably not get in unless you get into a T14, and even then, probably not unless you get into a T10. You probably can get an interview without an offer, but you will probably not get accepted until you get your offer letter and fax it in as proof. Yes, you should do it even if you have no interest in corporate law because it's a great way to spend your summer and make a few thousand dollars. You need to show proof that you're interested both in public service and corporate law -- this can be explained by reading SEO's mission statement.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:SEO Corporate Law class of 2010. Yes, Asians are accepted. No, you will probably not get in unless you get into a T14, and even then, probably not unless you get into a T10. You probably can get an interview without an offer, but you will probably not get accepted until you get your offer letter and fax it in as proof. Yes, you should do it even if you have no interest in corporate law because it's a great way to spend your summer and make a few thousand dollars. You need to show proof that you're interested both in public service and corporate law -- this can be explained by reading SEO's mission statement.

Keep in mind that is SEO class has been growing a lot the past few years so your experiences as far as the credentials needed to get in (you said you probably need T10) may not hold true. By growing a lot I mean they have opened up to new cities and have probably 30 more spots to fill this year as opposed to your year

JustE

Postby JustE » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:15 pm

tag

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:58 am

can we get this moved back to the urm forum? wouldn't want it to get lost in the shuffle in here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:can we get this moved back to the urm forum? wouldn't want it to get lost in the shuffle in here.

Some SEO alums (like myself) would feel better if we could have some anonymity (only available in legal employment forum).

Cookie2

Postby Cookie2 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:can we get this moved back to the urm forum? wouldn't want it to get lost in the shuffle in here.

Some SEO alums (like myself) would feel better if we could have some anonymity (only available in legal employment forum).

So now that you are anonymous can we get the dirt on this program? I would love to hears stories about what SEO interns actually do and what the experience was like.

Return to “Legal Employment”