SEO Corporate Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Aggie2012
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Aggie2012 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:36 am

Applied around 12-31 and received the interview email this past week. Really want this, seems like the perfect opportunity to get acclimated to the industry. Here's hoping for the best, good luck to everyone applying/interviewing!

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby JoeMo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:57 pm

JDcand wrote:
trudat15 wrote:
booby87 wrote:Has anyone gotten an interview invite recently?


Wondering the same thing. Sent in awhile ago, but havent heard anything.


Applied shortly before the Dec. 1 deadline and received interview invite in mid-Dec. Just FYI as far as timeline goes. I don't know the criteria they're using, but it seems the timeline varies from person to person.


Did you already interview?

spiritniffler189
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:04 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby spiritniffler189 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:26 pm

I went through some old posts, but not enough so hopefully sees this and can answer before I spend my Saturday reading this thread :)

How long is the turn around after sending your deposit, rec & official transcript? I'm worried that waiting until March to put a deposit somewhere might hurt my chances (will it fill up?) and who should your rec letter be from? Faculty? Employer? Someone who knows you won't be an embarrassment if forced to speak in front of everyone? Thanks!

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby JoeMo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:18 pm

spiritniffler189 wrote:I went through some old posts, but not enough so hopefully sees this and can answer before I spend my Saturday reading this thread :)

How long is the turn around after sending your deposit, rec & official transcript? I'm worried that waiting until March to put a deposit somewhere might hurt my chances (will it fill up?) and who should your rec letter be from? Faculty? Employer? Someone who knows you won't be an embarrassment if forced to speak in front of everyone? Thanks!


REC: Faculty
Turnaround: 2-3 weeks after you submit all required paperwork
March won't be too late as most of us will likely wait to go to ASD/ASW at our different choices before making a deposit. So your chances likely won't be affected. However, if you gave a good interview and the rest of your application is attractive and you send an enrollment letter and all the other stuff now you'd probably have a much greater chance than waiting until March.

I'm currently struggling with this same decision as I'd like to just send them the enrollment deposit and find out but I also don't want to commit this early to anywhere because I'm waiting to hear from others and make my final decision then.

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:23 pm

JoeMo wrote:
spiritniffler189 wrote:I went through some old posts, but not enough so hopefully sees this and can answer before I spend my Saturday reading this thread :)

How long is the turn around after sending your deposit, rec & official transcript? I'm worried that waiting until March to put a deposit somewhere might hurt my chances (will it fill up?) and who should your rec letter be from? Faculty? Employer? Someone who knows you won't be an embarrassment if forced to speak in front of everyone? Thanks!


REC: Faculty
Turnaround: 2-3 weeks after you submit all required paperwork
March won't be too late as most of us will likely wait to go to ASD/ASW at our different choices before making a deposit. So your chances likely won't be affected. However, if you gave a good interview and the rest of your application is attractive and you send an enrollment letter and all the other stuff now you'd probably have a much greater chance than waiting until March.

I'm currently struggling with this same decision as I'd like to just send them the enrollment deposit and find out but I also don't want to commit this early to anywhere because I'm waiting to hear from others and make my final decision then.


Just so you know they will work with you. I had committed to Berkeley when I got SEO. I then got into Harvard and Yale. They were very friendly and even offered me advice and it didn't affect my application at all when I decided to go to Harvard. The personnel there are extremely friendly and helpful.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby JoeMo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:34 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:Just so you know they will work with you. I had committed to Berkeley when I got SEO. I then got into Harvard and Yale. They were very friendly and even offered me advice and it didn't affect my application at all when I decided to go to Harvard. The personnel there are extremely friendly and helpful.


Of course not, I think it might work a little differently in reverse. Even if you have a massive scholarship elsewhere. It's only going to make you look stronger to Cravath or Jones Day if you are going to have a Yale or Harvard degree than a Berkeley degree.

BTW, congrats and totally secretly jealous. I didn't even throw apps at HYS because the ding would hurt too much.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Guchster » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:45 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
spiritniffler189 wrote:I went through some old posts, but not enough so hopefully sees this and can answer before I spend my Saturday reading this thread :)

How long is the turn around after sending your deposit, rec & official transcript? I'm worried that waiting until March to put a deposit somewhere might hurt my chances (will it fill up?) and who should your rec letter be from? Faculty? Employer? Someone who knows you won't be an embarrassment if forced to speak in front of everyone? Thanks!


REC: Faculty
Turnaround: 2-3 weeks after you submit all required paperwork
March won't be too late as most of us will likely wait to go to ASD/ASW at our different choices before making a deposit. So your chances likely won't be affected. However, if you gave a good interview and the rest of your application is attractive and you send an enrollment letter and all the other stuff now you'd probably have a much greater chance than waiting until March.

I'm currently struggling with this same decision as I'd like to just send them the enrollment deposit and find out but I also don't want to commit this early to anywhere because I'm waiting to hear from others and make my final decision then.


Just so you know they will work with you. I had committed to Berkeley when I got SEO. I then got into Harvard and Yale. They were very friendly and even offered me advice and it didn't affect my application at all when I decided to go to Harvard. The personnel there are extremely friendly and helpful.


This is definitely true if you are a smart person that applies earlier, which applies to most of you guys. SEO is always extremely helpful and generous. They're pretty tough on the outside, but they deeply care about you on the inside and will work with you to make sure you're in the best position they can put you in (hence the reason they're so picky about school/geographic placement/polish).

And just so you know, if uncommon had ended up going to Berkley, SEO probs would've put him somewhere in Cali. But it is just as important to note (for all the skeptics) that this did not affect his chances of getting accepted to the program itself. Polish is polish, and Berkeley is good enough to get you into SEOs firms on the west coast, and once SEO likes you, they'll take you and work with firms later to figure out logistics.

Fun Fact: There's only one person in the whole program I remember that went to a west coast school but worked in NYC (as in working somewhere that's not in your school's logical market).

I applied at the last minute and got accepted at the last minute, so the school I enrolled was the final call and making any other choice would've really put SEO in an awkward position, because my school can't put me in places that HY could for the purposes of SEO (i.e., anywhere outside of NYC).

ETA: Oh snap, I almost forgot! SEO will stop you from making stupid decisions. I actually was adamant about working in another market other than NYC (which my school doesn't necessarily naturally place at), and SEO pretty much said I could do what I'd like, but I was really screwing up by not taking their advice. Looking back on it now, they were completely right, and had I followed my own hard-head, I would've really regretted it.

shbe0701
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:12 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby shbe0701 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:49 am

.

kcirdor01
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:59 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby kcirdor01 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:06 pm

What do you think my chances will be if I go to GW? I've been accepted to several T10s (including NYU), BUT I got a full-tuition Presidential Scholarship at GWU (can't leave that on the table ITE). I'll be depositing in the next few days...

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Blessedassurance » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:10 pm

kcirdor01 wrote:What do you think my chances will be if I go to GW? I've been accepted to several T10s (including NYU), BUT I got a full-tuition Presidential Scholarship at GWU (can't leave that on the table ITE). I'll be depositing in the next few days...


I don't know but there is a lady from GW in one of the videos on their front page.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby JoeMo » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:19 pm

kcirdor01 wrote:What do you think my chances will be if I go to GW? I've been accepted to several T10s (including NYU), BUT I got a full-tuition Presidential Scholarship at GWU (can't leave that on the table ITE). I'll be depositing in the next few days...


Ummm... I'm pretty sure that your reasoning is more than sound. Have you had your interview yet? They ask at your interview where you're leaning and if you say something along the lines of "well, I've been accepted at Michigan and UVA but I also got a full ride at GW and after much analysis GW seems to be the better option ITE" I can't think of too many people that would go "dumb".

Full Disclosure: Edited in case SEO trolls even though I'm pretty "out"

So, with all that said, best of luck and congrats on the full ride to GW!

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Mr. Somebody » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:37 pm

Shit i cant believe i just saw this thread. Should i bother this late in the game
Last edited by Mr. Somebody on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby JoeMo » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:46 pm

[quote="Mr. Somebody"][/quote]

Yes do it! They're still interviewing. Internship doesn't start until May (orientation) and then 8-10 week internship in June/July.

But hurry, I think dead set deadline is fast approaching.

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:58 am

JoeMo wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:


Yes do it! They're still interviewing. Internship doesn't start until May (orientation) and then 8-10 week internship in June/July.

But hurry, I think dead set deadline is fast approaching.

thanks! Applying tomorrow.

One thing I'm concerned about is that my statement was pi focussed because I was rushing and I thought it'd be easier to write.... I guess I have to make some edits

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Guchster » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:28 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
kcirdor01 wrote:What do you think my chances will be if I go to GW? I've been accepted to several T10s (including NYU), BUT I got a full-tuition Presidential Scholarship at GWU (can't leave that on the table ITE). I'll be depositing in the next few days...


I don't know but there is a lady from GW in one of the videos on their front page.


Like I said earlier, it's not so much where you get into as your polish and attractiveness as a solid potential biglaw lawyer. Show them other acceptances if you're scared and super neurotic about not getting into the program.

Call SEO and talk to them about it. They're going to tell you to go where you want, as it won't have a significant impact on you chances of getting SEO, which is the correct response.

But note, there was 1 person out of the program (I believe), that went to GW. HYSCCN made up 80% + of the program. I doubt any one of us would've gotten rejected had we picked to go to GW instead, so don't stress about it.

Your school determines placement, not so much acceptance. There was a girl my year who went to University of Houston. WUT? (you're probably asking, how did she get in). Well, it's because U of H does super well in top Texas firms and she was a fantastic candidate, and hence SEO can work with you. Picking U of H over Harvard prob didn't hurt her chances too much. Trust me, SEO can work with GW.

daydreamer
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby daydreamer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:20 am

I applied 12-29-11 and still haven't received an interview invitation...should I be worried? The highest ranked school I've been accepted to is Michigan so far, so maybe thats it?

spiritniffler189
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:04 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby spiritniffler189 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:34 am

daydreamer wrote:I applied 12-29-11 and still haven't received an interview invitation...should I be worried? The highest ranked school I've been accepted to is Michigan so far, so maybe thats it?


Michigan is the highest ranked school I got into also, and I interviewed a little while ago. It took me almost a month to hear back regarding an interview from applying so I wouldn't worry yet!

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby JoeMo » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:48 am

daydreamer wrote:I applied 12-29-11 and still haven't received an interview invitation...should I be worried? The highest ranked school I've been accepted to is Michigan so far, so maybe thats it?


I applied early Jan and also Mich is my highest acceptance. I've already interviewed. I don't know if I'd say you should worry but just putting your question in context.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby JoeMo » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:50 am

Mr. Somebody wrote:redacted


I don't know that you have to do that. Mine was a similar situation. However, my resume has a strong corporate presence. In the app there is a spot where you can write a blurb about your interest in Corporate Law, I wrote that. Hope this helps.

I also don't know that I'd recommend rewriting your PS only because I don't know if they do any kind of fact checking and you wouldn't want them to know that you altered the PS that got you accepted. But that's something SEO alumni might be better able to address.

rdnicholson10
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:08 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby rdnicholson10 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:00 am

Guchster wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
kcirdor01 wrote:What do you think my chances will be if I go to GW? I've been accepted to several T10s (including NYU), BUT I got a full-tuition Presidential Scholarship at GWU (can't leave that on the table ITE). I'll be depositing in the next few days...


I don't know but there is a lady from GW in one of the videos on their front page.


Like I said earlier, it's not so much where you get into as your polish and attractiveness as a solid potential biglaw lawyer. Show them other acceptances if you're scared and super neurotic about not getting into the program.

Call SEO and talk to them about it. They're going to tell you to go where you want, as it won't have a significant impact on you chances of getting SEO, which is the correct response.

But note, there was 1 person out of the program (I believe), that went to GW. HYSCCN made up 80% + of the program. I doubt any one of us would've gotten rejected had we picked to go to GW instead, so don't stress about it.

Your school determines placement, not so much acceptance. There was a girl my year who went to University of Houston. WUT? (you're probably asking, how did she get in). Well, it's because U of H does super well in top Texas firms and she was a fantastic candidate, and hence SEO can work with you. Picking U of H over Harvard prob didn't hurt her chances too much. Trust me, SEO can work with GW.


Happy to hear this considering I will probably be attending U of H and was wondering what my chances are...I intern at Vinson & Elkins (Houston) and they recommended the program to me. Haven't had an interview yet; however, I haven't been rejected either...fingers crossed!!!

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Guchster » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:01 pm

rdnicholson10 wrote:
Guchster wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
kcirdor01 wrote:What do you think my chances will be if I go to GW? I've been accepted to several T10s (including NYU), BUT I got a full-tuition Presidential Scholarship at GWU (can't leave that on the table ITE). I'll be depositing in the next few days...


I don't know but there is a lady from GW in one of the videos on their front page.


Like I said earlier, it's not so much where you get into as your polish and attractiveness as a solid potential biglaw lawyer. Show them other acceptances if you're scared and super neurotic about not getting into the program.

Call SEO and talk to them about it. They're going to tell you to go where you want, as it won't have a significant impact on you chances of getting SEO, which is the correct response.

But note, there was 1 person out of the program (I believe), that went to GW. HYSCCN made up 80% + of the program. I doubt any one of us would've gotten rejected had we picked to go to GW instead, so don't stress about it.

Your school determines placement, not so much acceptance. There was a girl my year who went to University of Houston. WUT? (you're probably asking, how did she get in). Well, it's because U of H does super well in top Texas firms and she was a fantastic candidate, and hence SEO can work with you. Picking U of H over Harvard prob didn't hurt her chances too much. Trust me, SEO can work with GW.


Happy to hear this considering I will probably be attending U of H and was wondering what my chances are...I intern at Vinson & Elkins (Houston) and they recommended the program to me. Haven't had an interview yet; however, I haven't been rejected either...fingers crossed!!!



I don't remember her name, but she definitely goes to U of H. Maybe you can track her down? The corporate law SEOs all over the US only convene twice during the summer (once for orientation at the beginning and then again at the end for CLI (pretend law school)), so as a NYC intern, I didn't get to know the Texas ones that well.

Work on your polish, and the rest will come naturally.

User avatar
sn20
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby sn20 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:16 pm

I applied back in November. Should I follow-up somehow if I haven't heard anything yet? I know the process can appear to be largely random and unique to each person but I'm still worried.

User avatar
JoeMo
Posts: 1518
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby JoeMo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:06 pm

sn20 wrote:I applied back in November. Should I follow-up somehow if I haven't heard anything yet? I know the process can appear to be largely random and unique to each person but I'm still worried.


From what I heard staff is really helpful just call.

User avatar
icedflames
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby icedflames » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:20 am

.
Last edited by icedflames on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Neatrends
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: SEO Corporate Law

Postby Neatrends » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:35 pm

icedflames wrote:I've got my interview on Thursday, any advice?
Is it just full of the normal interview questions?


NO. From what I recall they use the 'stress interview' technique, which means one or more people ask you a bunch of questions rapidly in a way as to make you nervous and under pressure.




And what does everyone men by polish? just dressing well and speaking well?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.